Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
aliensporebomb

Hi.

Post by aliensporebomb » Sep 23rd, '07, 22:36

Just wanted to drop a reply for Cisco 675/678 users in case they were confused on
how to set this up.

I'm going to aim this at either Mac or PC users.

In the case of Mac users, a popular client is the Transmission client which sets up
an incoming port as a default on port 9090 although in theory you could use anything
you want as it allows you to key it in. Same with any PC Bittorrent client - just make
sure that you have a port set up that you want.

The Cisco 675/678 routers are NAT devices so all you would need to do is telnet
into those devices and set the following to get the port open and successfully mapped:

SET NAT ENTRY ADD INTERNAL IP PORT EXTERNAL IP PORT TCP

For example, if your CPU was taking 10.0.0.2 from the Cisco device and your
external IP address was 10.185.10.10 (just for example) here is the string you
would type into a telnet window for the Cisco device:

SET NAT ENTRY ADD 10.0.0.2 9090 10.185.10.10 9090 TCP

Then WRITE to write this to the Cisco devices NVRAM and then exit to quit.

If you have questions, let me know because the Cisco operating systems of
these devices basically makes getting an MCSE seem easy.

kurooha

Post by kurooha » Oct 10th, '07, 21:12

I haven't read it yet, but I have a question to be sure that this is the problem I have.
Usually, when I download music's torrents (jpopsuki or tonberry) I can download everything without any problem, even if it's a big DVD.

But, when I'm trying to download a drama from here, it never starts the download.
It's because it isn't well configured? And, why can I download from other sites and not from here?

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 14th, '07, 10:46

Hi there...
Ok... I've got a pretty weird problem, and I'd be totally happy if one of you could help me out here...
I got a new PC from my brother and my mum as a birhtday present (it's a great little thingy... XD) and it had Windows Vista installed already.
The Problem is... whenever Is tart a torrent program (bitcomet, utorrent, ...) my internet just stops to work (or is so slow that it takes hours to load a page). When I close the program, wait for about a minute and then start the internet, everything is back to normal again. I've got a fast cabel connection so usually I don't have to wait for a page to load... ^^;;;
I tried to play a bit with the settings, but nothing won't help and I don't know what to do anymore... :cry:

Sorry... I can't really explain it well...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 15th, '07, 01:30

i haven't heard too many good things about vista. did you perform all of the windows updates?

i would go to the homepage of bitcomet (or utorrent) and check for vista compatibility issues.

do you know if your isp in austria is limiting BT bandwidth?

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 15th, '07, 10:05

:wub: Thanks a lot... XD
I didn't think of looking things up in the this client forums/ help things... ^^
After a loooong search I found something... And it seems that it's working now... But I really needed some time to find it. I found it... :mrgreen:

It seems the clients were flooding the connection and I had to with the half open TCP connections. Never thought of it...

But it's weird that I'm the only one having that problem... I've got two friends both have vista and for them it's working perfectly fine. :scratch:

Thanks again... ^u^

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 16th, '07, 02:46

i'm glad it worked out for you.
Karo wrote:It seems the clients were flooding the connection and I had to with the half open TCP connections. Never thought of it...
But it's weird that I'm the only one having that problem... I've got two friends both have vista and for them it's working perfectly fine. :scratch:
i don't know too much about vista, so i'm not sure why that may be. do they dl the same torrents as you? if they dl torrents that only have a few leechers, they may not need to open as many tcp connections as you.

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 17th, '07, 13:06

They do download the same... ^^
And it's actually downloading fine (also there are neough peers), but loading web pages didn't work. And what's more weird... Today it works just totally fine... I don't really get it anymore... :roll
I just hope it'll stay like that.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Dec 11th, '07, 19:44

I'm behind a router (Netgear WGR6143 v7), and for several months I had no problem connecting to a BT port on uTorrent but now I get yellow triangles all the time and even when I switch to another port over and over again it still isn't able to connect to that port, and my downloads are slow as doink. I discussed this problem with my dad (who set up the router), and mentioned that I needed to forward the BT port in question, but he was concerned about if some script kiddie/other doink would be able to hack into the computer through the BT port. Since most people here with forwarded ports have no problems with such things, I was wondering how I could be able to better explain to my dad about port forwarding and whether or not there's an increased risk of doinks breaking in to the computer (I assume that if you also have a software firewall on your computer it might offer some other protection from doinks). I would forward the port myself, but I have no idea what the router's username and password are...

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Dec 11th, '07, 19:51

There is always an increased security risk associated with opening ports. You, after all, trying to make other people connect to your computer easier. However, if you are careful about choosing ports (generally recommended above 10000's) and you only open one port (which clients such as uTorrent support), then the related risk is very, very small. I have used bittorrents for years without any problems. In fact, in my opinion, you are much more likely to DOWNLOAD a virus from a shady torrent site than to have somebody attack you through the open port.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Dec 11th, '07, 19:53

Thanks ^^ That's what I assumed.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 12th, '07, 05:23

ethidda wrote:There is always an increased security risk associated with opening ports. .... In fact, in my opinion, you are much more likely to DOWNLOAD a virus from a shady torrent site than to have somebody attack you through the open port.
well stated.

doink, it's going to be difficult for an 18yr old to explain to her dad computer security risks given that you want to download stuff. unless it was for SCHOOL?? :whistling:

i see my fair share of computer security related problems at my job, and i can tell you the likelihood of someone actually hacking into your router is EXTREMELY low. if you are being targeted specifically, they're probably going to get in anyways. as ethidda stated, most hackers tend to use trojans, malware, viruses, false links, phishing pages, etc. instead of hacking into ONE PERSON'S router. too much work for too little reward.

if i were your dad, i would be much more worried about the links you click on, the pages you visit, the programs you install, and the people you chat with. ensure your dad you won't mess up any of those things, and i would think fwding one port would be pretty reasonable.

onino

Post by onino » Jul 5th, '08, 21:23

don't know if others got the same problem...but I can't take the natcheck test...
it says "service is down"..any other ways to check?
my downloading is soooo slow!.I downloaded a torrent for like 2 hours ago and not even 0.1 % yet!

thanks!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 6th, '08, 23:46

ever since natcheck went down, it has been very difficult to get a tester. i don't know of an alternative.

most clients tell you by turning the torrent green or something.

onino

Post by onino » Jul 10th, '08, 00:30

Oh I see....that's not good... :-(

but thanks anyway!...

Iceblade

Post by Iceblade » Jul 16th, '08, 00:20

I am using Bittorrent version 6. I have green network status. Zonealarm allows the program internet access. I am using port forwarding with the Bittorrent client named "Torrent" in the application field for its port forwarding slot on my Linksys router. Anytime I use the program, though, my connection will sporadically get cut and almost instantaneously reconnect.

The problem is clearly in my preferences and maybe in my limits as my download and upload speeds are only going around 1.0 kb/s or less including not at all. When it does work (like now inexplicably) it runs at around 5-20 kb/s. I am using a port within the standard torrent range (can I have a higher number above 10000, though?). I am not using UPnP or NAT-PMP port mapping.

Under Bittorent tab
Global max number of connections is set to 250
Max number of connected peers per torrent is 10
Number of upload slots per torrent is 4
Encryption is enabled in case Bellsouth is interfering with the torrent
Peer exchange, local peer discovery, DHT network, DHT network for torrents, and ask tracker for scrape information are all enabled.

I have no idea how to fix my torrent to be able to actually use the Torrent. Also do I need to fill in the "IP/hostname to report to tracker" field and what to I put in the field (external or internal IP address)?

PS I am downloading mopgirl

AshleyXz

Post by AshleyXz » Jul 24th, '08, 10:43

I'm using Windows Vista Business.

So if u want to do port forwarding wher do you go? the internet browser with ur router's ip address or what? Sorry i'm seriously confused! And doing that would it affect other computers' connections cause my siblings and I use our own computers.

AshleyXz

Post by AshleyXz » Jul 24th, '08, 10:58

I'm using bittorrent 6.03 now. i checked my ports using the speed guide provided by bittorrent it says

"Welcome to the Bittorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 63953 on 220.255.80.123...

OK! Port 63953 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections."

I had also added bittorent as a exception on windows firewall. So why am i still slow downloading speed?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 26th, '08, 12:56

there is just so many reasons why speeds could be slow.

==MISCONFIGURED ROUTER/FIREWALL==
is the light (or text) on your BT client YELLOW? did you 'forward the ports' on your router or 'open the ports' on your firewall?
help yourself complete faster (and make life easier on the seeder) by going to the SUPPORT section and reading TWEAKING BITTORRENT. it may take you a few hours to configure, but it'll save you DAYS of downloading time later!
not sure if you're configured right? see if you pass the nat check: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

==TOO MANY TORRENTS OPEN==
many people make the mistake of trying to dl/seed too many torrents at one time. be PATIENT and not GREEDY. you will find that your speeds will probably improve if you limit yourself to 2-3 torrents at a time, rather than trying to dl four or more.

==ADJUSTING UPLOAD SPEED==
make sure you are not using 100% of your upload speed (we recommend using about 80-90% of your max upload speed).

also, make sure you're not choking it down to a minimum 3kB either! i've noticed that on most torrents, the higher i set my ul speed, the greater my dl speed.

example: let's say your max upload is 96kB.
if you set your torrent upload at 96kB (100%), you computer would not be able to perform other small network functions such as sending/receiving acknowledgement packets, etc.
if you set it too low (like 3kB), you may not get much in return. (bittorrent rewards SHARING.)

not sure what your max upload speed should be?
...1) you can call your isp and ask them what your ul speed should be. divide this number by eight and you will get your BT speed (example: 768kb = 96kB) (kb stands for kilobits; kB stands for kilobytes. 8 bits = 1 byte. Your bittorrent client measures speed in bytes while your ISP usually advertises speed in bits.)
...2) google for 'bandwidth speed test' and see if you can find a test for your UPLOAD speed. i know that www.dslreports.com has one.
...3) test it w/ your BT client. after you complete a torrent, turn off ALL other dl/ul's. set your client to 'SEED = UNLIMITED'. see how high your ul speed goes. try this with several torrents, and you will eventually figure out what your max BT ul speed is.

==UPLOAD RATE vs MAX UPLOADS==
many users think the best method of sharing is to spread it among the MOST amount of peers. (example: you set upload at 40kB; and set max uploads to 20 peers. each peer gets 2kB per second.) this is actually a poor method and inefficient use of BT.

BT chops a torrent up into "pieces". you cannot share a piece until you have COMPLETED that piece. therefore, if you have a 500MB torrent, it may chop it up into one hundred 5MB pieces.
if each peer is getting only 2kB per second, it will take a looooong time before a peer completes a 5MB piece to share.
instead, the better method is to set the amount of peers as LOW as possible. this way, each peer gets more kB per second. peers COMPLETE pieces faster, and thus, SHARE pieces faster.

==SUPER-SEED ON?==
some people think the word 'super' is pretty cool, so they always turn super-seed on. the super-seed option is not to be turned on unless you are the ONLY seeder on the torrent. otherwise, DO NOT turn it on.
more super-seed info: http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

==FRAGMENTED HARD DRIVE==
sometimes a highly fragmented hard drive can actually cause your computer to run slower.
right-click on your C: drive (or your dl drive) and choose 'properties'. click on the 'tools' tab and choose 'defragment now'.
click 'analyze', and repeat for every drive that you have. are your drives highly fragmented? stop everything and take the time to defrag and reboot.
you'll find that a UNfragmented drive will allow you to allocate a file faster and may improve speed.

==OTHER MISCELLANEOUS FACTORS THAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT==
* your ISP is throttling/limiting BT traffic (or p2p traffic, in general). if you're brave, you can call them and ask them if they have this policy.
* the peers you are connected to are very slow uploaders. they might have a very low upload speed or are setting their upload speed too low.
* the peers that are on the torrent have not configured their router/computer correctly for BT (you may have yours set up properly, but they may not).
* there is something wrong with the connection(s) between you and the other peers. you could try dropping off and connecting later, or wait for the situation to improve.

AshleyXz

Post by AshleyXz » Jul 27th, '08, 03:25

Defragmenting my hard disk. Forwarded the ports. so where does the problem lies?

my speedtest Image

T.T wahh!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 28th, '08, 22:47

still tough to say. i'm sorry.

if your isp throttles BT, your bw speed may look great, but not when you're doing bt.

you really should do a search for singapore in our threads or on google in general. i've heard several people mention that there is throttling there.

AshleyXz

Post by AshleyXz » Jul 29th, '08, 13:48

When i first opened my video in wma its Image

Then after i downloaded the GSpot and AC3filter because my audio was not working, It became like that Image

freezspirit

Post by freezspirit » Aug 4th, '08, 23:10

Ok after spending the last couple of days trying to connect to the new modem/router. I have finally done it but now I can't use utorrent or bittorrent.

To get you in the picture:
Internet provider: Tiscali
Modem: Semans Gigaset se 587 wlan dsl
o/s: win xp
Main torrent program: utorrent: 1.7.7
secondary torrent program: bittorrent 6.0.3

On utorrent I have the yellow triangle - no incoming connections
On bittirrent nothing is showing.
So I need to know what I have to do on the preferences to get it to work.

It was working fine on my usb speedtouch modem but since I have to connect another pc up for my mother - I'm having problems.

If anyone can help (step by step would be ideal) or can point me in the direction for help. that would be great. I think if someone can tell me what the default port number is or a working port number that would be great

mowgwie

Post by mowgwie » Aug 26th, '09, 06:03

I'm about ready to tear out what's left of my hair! I downloaded Vuze, and followed all of the instructions for configuring. Even logged into my Netgear router and set all of the port forwarding etc. I get a nice green light on my torrent download, but my upload speed is showing 39Kbs, while download is showing 3 or less. It tells me it's going to take almost 2 days just to download one file. I went into the my security suite's firewall and added Vuze to allow both downliad and upload. And under the "help", i keep getting fails on all of NAT and speed tests. What do I do now?

mowgwie

Post by mowgwie » Aug 26th, '09, 06:11

One more question - in the instructions at the beginning of this forum, the instructions for setting port forwarding all say "In the "Start Port" and "End Port" fields enter the port range (6881 to 6889)", but instructions I've read elsewhere say not to use those numbers, but numbers from 49512 upward. Which is correct?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Aug 28th, '09, 05:07

mowgwie wrote:One more question - in the instructions at the beginning of this forum, the instructions for setting port forwarding all say "In the "Start Port" and "End Port" fields enter the port range (6881 to 6889)", but instructions I've read elsewhere say not to use those numbers, but numbers from 49512 upward. Which is correct?
The instructions in the FAQ are outdated. The original standard bittorrent ports 6881-6689 have been blocked by various ISP's so it it recommended not to use these ports anymore.
See here for more information: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/PortIsBlacklisted

MooseBreath

Post by MooseBreath » Nov 20th, '09, 17:22

I seem to have an odd problem.

I am using Vuse/Azureus on several machines under Windows XP/Home&Pro and Vista on both broadband and dial-up. My home system is XP/Home and dial-up; I get to "borrow" a friend's SOHO LAN for the rest for several hours per day and transfer the files via flash drives. My interests cover the gamut from drama through anime and ending somewhere on the far side of music. The broadband connection is set to a minimum of 40kBps up depending on which machine I get to borrow that day (if I set it to unlimited on the machine hard wired to the modem, it tops out just over 110kBps up, but then nothing comes down for any app). The port varies by machine, but always tests out green.

Most trackers pose no problems, but D-Addicts and possibly a few others (mostly in this genre & not used very often) go weird. I will see a few (1 - 2) seeders and several leechers on my desired torrents. When I first open Vuse, I will either 1) connect quickly and start transferring data only to slowly choke down to nothing, never connecting to the seed; or 2) never connect/transfer at all.

The only times I remove a torrent from the complete/seed queue is either after I have a share ratio over 3.0 or I need to remove the files from the borrowed system. The seed priority is set strictly to "timed rotation." The home dial-up system doesn't seem to have a problem seeding if there are leechers without other seeds (but it's SLOW), but the broadband does. The drama torrents never seem to get over about 0.7 share ratio.

divi_bless

Post by divi_bless » Jun 6th, '11, 11:03

please help me. how do you download the torrents here? im sorry, i do not see seeders, so i cant download the torrents for my utorrent. please please help me

tvbqueen

getting started for downloading dramas

Post by tvbqueen » Feb 21st, '12, 06:03

i've downloaded utorrent then i go to asiatorrent.com to search for korean drama torrent and hit the download link. but I am unable to open the files though it shows that its 700mb. I am very confused in this torrent thingy though i've read up on it. can someone guide me in doing it right? i wish to download some korean drama that has eng sub.

charismata

uTorrent Speed

Post by charismata » Feb 29th, '12, 06:12

This link is very useful to faster download speed using uTorrent:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... -speed.htm