Questions About WD HDMI media player

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
H a n a

Questions About WD HDMI media player

Post by H a n a » Jul 31st, '11, 08:54

hii guys
how you doin with my life
Recently
I'am Confused ,,
I went to Carrefour to buy WD HDMI Media player
but I really don't know what to chose
I need something to make me able to get mp4 , MKV , H264 ,x264 showed on TV
they showed me two types
one with 1TB space
and one without space which I have to use another External Disk or USB flash memory
So now I'am Confused and don't know what to choose
which one is better !!

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 09:19

Hi Hana,

I think the sales person was showing you the model that comes with 1 TB and the other is without the HDD.

If you don't have an existing external hdd, then get the one that comes with 1TB space.

Lots of people have external USB HDD nowadays and some prefer to use their own and do not need the 1TB space. It's cheaper also.

Hope this helps.

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Jul 31st, '11, 09:22

BaekSoo wrote:Hi Hana,

I think the sales person was showing you the model that comes with 1 TB and the other is without the HDD.

If you don't have an existing external hdd, then get the one that comes with 1TB space.

Lots of people have external hdd nowadays and some prefer to use their own and do not need the 1TB space. It's cheaper also.

Hope this helps.
I have External Hard Disk but I don't know if its HDD or no
its Toshiba Brand with 250 GB
is it the one you are talking about ??

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 09:24

H a n a wrote:
BaekSoo wrote:Hi Hana,

Lots of people have external hdd nowadays and some prefer to use their own and do not need the 1TB space. It's cheaper also.

Hope this helps.
I have External Hard Disk but I don't know if its HDD or no
its Toshiba Brand with 250 GB
is it the one you are talking about ??
Yes. HDD means Hard Disk Drive. So you don't need the 1TB....unless your 250gb is FULL.....lol :D :lol

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Jul 31st, '11, 09:27

I have this one
the black with white 250 GB
so it doesnt work with normal usb Flash memory ???
and are they can show the MKV and MP4 Files ,,HD MEDIA ?

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 09:31

It works with normal usb Flash memory because the connector (At the WD Media Player) to HDD and flash memory is the same. What is not same is the space. Flash memory is much smaller than HDD. NOW..Go and BUY BUY BUY...Just kidding..... :lol :lol :lol

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 09:41

Another thing before you buy....Bring along some of the files you want to watch....eg: MKV, MP4, AVI. RMVB and etc...You can put it in your 250gb HDD.

I think they can test for you....Good Luck.

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Jul 31st, '11, 10:15

as its Flash or HDD i can delete stuff I Don't Need Better Than DVD

and what about the Video Types ???

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 10:35

Video types......It depends what you have downloaded. Better than DVD or not, you should know better as it's what you have downloaded.

Another concern is whether it can last.... say 5 years? Technology changes from day to day and you want to get something that can keep up with the quick pace. I think WD has an option to flash the hardware.... to keep up with the quick pace.

Nowadays DVD is considered obsolete or it will be in the future. VCD was before DVD and now VCD is obsolete.

Anyway, the choice is yours. Get a good model is what I can say to you. :salut:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 31st, '11, 10:52

I do have WD Media Player which i bought last year.
I was able to play almost every vid file that I had in my HDD via usb connection. I can't say that I do have every different files, but it played mp4, mkv, divx... the normal format that most of J and Kdramas were uploaded here on DA.
of course I no longer use it because new TVs can also work as media players and can play your vids directly from your HDD. my tv model can't play MKV though.
I hope I helped a little.

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 31st, '11, 10:56

Yes...that's true.... newer models of Widescreen TV can play MKV as well and now media players are getting obsolete. Technology does change at a fast pace.... :lol :w00t:

Edit: Newer models of TV can be connected to the wireless internet now and you can watch youtube videos and goto facebook...etc. It also allows you to watch photos that you took with your camera.

Of course that is another topic and I DON'T suggest you buy a new TV. Just get a good media player is all.

PingBlack

Post by PingBlack » Sep 15th, '11, 14:31

I have one of these but its in the cupboard now, my bluray player can connect to my local network so I can play films straight from computer, no messing around with usb sticks its much easier.