[Poll] In what resolution do you want dramas?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.

In what resolution do you want dramas?

480p
25%
540p
No votes
720p
13%
1080p
63%

Total votes: 8

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

[Poll] In what resolution do you want dramas?

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 19th, '14, 22:43

Which resolution would you prefer of if I continue to post batches of taiga dramas with Chinese subtitles in the future?

I'm considering downloading just one version to save space.

Looking back PPX had Yae no Sakura 480p in RMVB format (avg size 220MB), but this year Gunshi Kanbee in 480p in MP4 format (avg size 350MB). I don't know if they made the decision to go from RMVB to MP4 for the lower resolution.

720p is in MKV format (avg size 650-700MB).

Screenshots behind the spoiler
Gunshi Kanbee
480p MP4
720p MKV

Yae no Sakura
480p RMVB
720p MKV
Last edited by Keiko1981 on Jul 20th, '14, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » Jul 19th, '14, 22:54

I don't watch taiga but 720p generally makes the most sense. TV broadcasts usually aren't in 1080p so that isn't worth the extra space but the difference between 720p and 480p is pretty big for an increase in size that should be manageable for most.

darji

Post by darji » Jul 20th, '14, 11:15

honestly i can not believe people still want to watch stuff in SD. To be honest it is very strange that almost every fangroup beside Drama for some reason goes for the highest quality possible and with dramas I can not even find subtitles for 720 or even 1080P files...

I can understand that space is a huge issue with such long series but still. Watching some high budget drama in 1080P is such a joy for me.

JackBauer2424

Re: In what resolution do you want future taiga dramas to be?

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 14th, '16, 00:33

I've seen good quality 360p. 480p is good too.

dhisashi
United States of America

Re:

Post by dhisashi » May 14th, '16, 15:50

darji wrote:honestly i can not believe people still want to watch stuff in SD. To be honest it is very strange that almost every fangroup beside Drama for some reason goes for the highest quality possible and with dramas I can not even find subtitles for 720 or even 1080P files...

I can understand that space is a huge issue with such long series but still. Watching some high budget drama in 1080P is such a joy for me.
If you use a 1080p HDTV as a monitor the TV will upscale videos to 1080p. It works down to 480p with very, very little loss in video quality. Below 480p there is more drop off in video quality.
:idea:

manera

Re:

Post by manera » May 14th, '16, 17:54

darji wrote:honestly i can not believe people still want to watch stuff in SD. To be honest it is very strange that almost every fangroup beside Drama for some reason goes for the highest quality possible and with dramas I can not even find subtitles for 720 or even 1080P files...
The major problem is encoding takes a lot of time.
From what I have seen the color space for TV shows is smaller than anime, hence, they can be encoded to a smaller size. 45min, 720P, Hi10 @ 250 MB is where quality starts to suffer. With HEVC the size can get down to 150 MB but not all players are good at playing this format nor is seeking working properly.
If the episode has lots of particle scenes e.g. snowing than there's no choice but increase quality. In any case, it takes a Dual Core2 more than 24 hours to encode a 2 GB down to 250 MB. These days it shouldn't be a problem but not everyone has the latest computer at hand.
So many just cannot or don't want to waste much time encoding.

The other issues is it makes no sense to upscale a smaller resolution source because you lose original data quality. Players resize anyway so it makes no sense to have them resize again and lower quality again when replaying.

am00339

Post by am00339 » May 15th, '16, 13:21

The higher resolution the better the experience. These days I watch dramas not only on PC but sometimes on TV and the lower resolution is apparent when watched on a big screen.

manera

Post by manera » May 16th, '16, 16:09

Well, I think too high a resolution is more distracting than worth it. After all you are mostly watching actors/actresses acting. How often do stuff around matter? Most of the time they don't. Aside from particle detail cases or lavish scenery, the few times you need that resolution is for example reading the monitor in the background. So I think 720P is the sweet spot of compromises.

am00339

Post by am00339 » May 27th, '16, 18:07

manera wrote:Well, I think too high a resolution is more distracting than worth it. After all you are mostly watching actors/actresses acting. How often do stuff around matter? Most of the time they don't. Aside from particle detail cases or lavish scenery, the few times you need that resolution is for example reading the monitor in the background. So I think 720P is the sweet spot of compromises.
It matters a lot. I often watch dramas over again for the scenery, the music, the places the things where the characters act . As in the opening scenes from Sanada Maru, they are stunning and the art work and the effort that went in to assemble every frame I do appreciate. One could argue, lets cut the travelogue at the end of the episode. Frankly I enjoy it as much as the main drama.