Previews at the end of episodes

Various topics that don't contain subtitles and shouldn't be tracked.
knotcross

Previews at the end of episodes

Postby knotcross » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am

It would be super helpful if the subbers could show the English title for the preview shown at the end of an episode. Sometimes it's quite hard to find them.
That said, thanks everyone for your hard work.

JackBauer2424

Re: Previews at the end of episodes

Postby JackBauer2424 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 am

I would appreciate English subtitles for the dialog during the next episode previews.

I finished watching Hero 2, and found it peculiar that and other series' subtitles sometimes don't translate certain Japanese words and just put the Japanese word in as English subtitles like otsukaresama, Baba-kenji instead of translating what -kenji means (assuming it means prosecutor).

I watched some Street Fighter 4 movie and the subtitles seemed like a made up alternate dialog rather than a translation.

What I really like is when the translator makes the effort to even translate signs or newspaper headlines, etc. so we understand the story better or when they translate the opening and ending songs and also put in the Japanese for sing-a-long purposes. Some of these subtitles people are great.

Ais

Postby Ais » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

JackBauer2424 wrote:I finished watching Hero 2, and found it peculiar that and other series' subtitles sometimes don't translate certain Japanese words and just put the Japanese word in as English subtitles like otsukaresama, Baba-kenji instead of translating what -kenji means (assuming it means prosecutor).
Have you read the discussion in the subtitle thread itself regarding about leaving the -kenji honourific/title?

JackBauer2424 wrote:I watched some Street Fighter 4 movie and the subtitles seemed like a made up alternate dialog rather than a translation.
It's most likely a liberal translation. Haven't watched any Street Fighter movie.

I tend to try to translate all the Japanese as much as possible now, but each translator have their own style. My style is I tend to mix both American English and British English whenever I think it would fit better. English never was my first language anyway, only a learned language.

In the end, the translated subtitles, whether some of the original language of the video have been left out, are just guides to appreciate the title, not really to replace the title. If you get the gist of what went on with the whole title, but the subtitles still try to keep the translation as close to the original as possible, then the subtitles have served its purpose.

It's more or less why some video games, much more apparent in Atlus games, release their official English versions that are not fully localized. Nintendo have different English localization for Europe releases and American releases. Might as well share this meme:

Also, I own all the officially licensed digital media versions of my favourite Yaguchi Shinobi movie, Swing Girls:
> Japan - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TBR-18333D
> Taiwan - http://www.asianblurayguide.com/detail/ ... an_taiwan/
> Korean - http://www.kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods. ... _seq=18701
> Hong Kong - http://www.yesasia.com/global/swing-gir ... /info.html
And all of them have different English subtitle translations of the film. Some are leaning to British English, some are leaning to American English, but all of them are Asian English.

If it really is too much for you, because you have a personal preference of what English you want to see in the subtitles, you can always edit the softsubs yourself, ne? :)

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Madoka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm

JackBauer2424 wrote:I finished watching Hero 2, and found it peculiar that and other series' subtitles sometimes don't translate certain Japanese words and just put the Japanese word in as English subtitles like otsukaresama, Baba-kenji instead of translating what -kenji means (assuming it means prosecutor).

I may be one of the few people who actually like this. Some Japanese phrases don't have an easy English equivalent or the strict translation is not what English speakers would say. While I don't mind an English translation, since I know what's going on, I'd just rather they leave the Japanese. For example, I prefer they leave itadakimasu as is, rather than "Digging in" or "Let's eat". I learn a lot when the subbers put little cultural notes at the top.

I also like -kenji (or any other suffix) as long as they explain it's meaning on the first usage. I never want them to translate things like Onee-chan or just use their name.

But in the end, I have the highest respect for all the subbers, solo or in groups, that help us satisfy our love of Dramas.