Dr Rintaro and Should restricted subs be listed on FansubWiki?

Various topics that don't contain subtitles and shouldn't be tracked.
Hellraiser321

Dr Rintaro and Should restricted subs be listed on FansubWiki?

Postby Hellraiser321 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Does anyone know where can I get Dr Rintaro English subs? Torachan2006 has subbed it, but from the looks of it, it has been locked away. :scratch:

resha22chad

Re: Dr Rintaro English subs?

Postby resha22chad » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:09 am

i only know her who subbing this drama~
coz she already subbing it so other subber dont take this drama to subbing it~
you can ask her for join her community in LJ..

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 am

Please, don't request subtitles.

To see who subs what see Jdrama Fansub Map
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map

Torchan release their subtitles at the community http://doramatique.livejournal.com/profile now.

Other(s) may pick up the drama if they so please. See Rules for uploading subtitles for more info.
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Inochi, Kamisama..., Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I wasn't requesting any subs. I was just asking about where do I find it as it has already been subbed by Torachan. I went to her site on LJ from jdramacity and found that she has closed the access to subtitles and hence the question.

Doramatique LJ Post:
Please dont PM Torachan or Me for application during the closing. We will announce it when we open the membership.

As Torachan has closed the access, now many people like me who don't understand japanese, can't watch the series and as the drama is already subbed, no one else will pick it up. Hopefully, Torachan opens the subs again eventually :).

DragonSpikeXIII

Postby DragonSpikeXIII » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:23 pm

I read your topic OP and I've kinda been thinking the same thing. Dr. Rintaro struck me as a decent dorama that I'd like to try out but if I understood Torachan's rules correctly, the subtitles released by him/her/them (?) are just for those who have been accepted as friends on their livejournal blog.

Seems some people were actually sharing them to non-members (like uploading to streaming sites maybe?) at one point which seems to have made torachan close membership "until further notice." So unless you know someone inside that exclusive club thing, you're outta luck, kinda like me though I'm not that interested in that dorama and the quality of the English used on their livejournal postings doesn't really do much for me to be honest.

So the bottom line is that unless another individual or group, who actually shares their work publicly (like most people have done since forever) there doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it in English for the time being.

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:15 am

I understand after reading the LJ post, as DragonSpikeXIII mentioned, I think Torachan blocked it because some numpty uploaded the subs on streaming sites. Subbers own the complete rights to the material and hence Torachan has full right to block access to the subs. Having said that, if out of the large userbase on d-addicts, only a few have got access to the subs then the status of that drama should be changed to Not Subbed.

I can easily abuse this system (not going to, but just for argument's sake) by volunteering to sub a series and lock it after providing it to only one of my friend :).

Narina

Postby Narina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 am

I kind of agree with Hellraiser321, its a subber's prerogative to do what s/he wants to do with the subtitle she has created BUT if you don't want to share it with the majority but only within a particular community,then isn't it better not to announce it to other sites but only within that community,in this case,LJ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the intention of d-addicts was to make it easier for the majority to find and enjoy subs by posting them here.If the sub is not accessible by d-addicts users,then why mark the show as 'subbed'? In my humble opinion it is really unfair to both the viewers and the subbers.Because when u mark a show as being subbed by a LJ subber, other subbers feel uninterested or uninvited to sub that show,and as a result, majority of the people here have to give up the hope of ever having the subs for that particular show.

But if you mark the sub as 'not subbed' which has been taken by a subber of locked LJ,then at least we can hope that a subber of d-addicts will take it up after his/her current project is completed like Subie06 has kindly done for us many times.

I sincerely hope the admin will consider this issue specially now that some LJ subber has stopped taking requests altogether!

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Any views from Mods or Admins on this?

huyie
Fansub Admin
Fansub Admin

Postby huyie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:29 pm

Mods are currently in discussion about this internally at the moment.

TimeCompression

Postby TimeCompression » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:37 pm

Unofficial Streaming sites ruined everything :(

huyie
Fansub Admin
Fansub Admin

Postby huyie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Since I think this probably concerns those who edit the fansub wiki a bit more, I've opened up a discussion tab here: http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Talk:Jdrama_Fansub_Map for those who have a fansub wiki account and like to have a say on the matter.

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Most of the subbers already know torachan's subs aren't accesible by the majority... if they decide not to re-sub a torachan's project, I think it's because they do have access to her/his LJ. I really understand it, why would you do a thing that's already done? (bad for me, though :D ) I guess that not publicizing it won't change that fact... :P

Narina

Postby Narina » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:47 am

Peanut wrote:Most of the subbers already know torachan's subs aren't accesible by the majority... if they decide not to re-sub a torachan's project, I think it's because they do have access to her/his LJ. I really understand it, why would you do a thing that's already done? (bad for me, though :D ) I guess that not publicizing it won't change that fact... :P

I'd like to disagree.The number of LJ users that have access to the locked sub is really small compared to the vast and growing numbers of Jdrama fans.
Not marking the shows that have locked sub as 'subbed' on d-addicts is recognizing the need of this majority.Even when the torrent section of D-addicts went down,the raw provides didn't ask everyone to go locked site asiatorrent to get their raws did the? Instead they tried to find another open site so that everyone enjoy JDramas.Raw and Sub both are indispensable for international viewers so I hope the admin will come to a solution that respects the wish of the subber while providing the need of the majority Jdrama lovers.

DragonSpikeXIII

Postby DragonSpikeXIII » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:06 am

With regards to your post, Peanut, there's one thing I found pertinent that I'd like to elaborate on.

I haven't had any first-hand experience with torachan's subtitles, having never watched any of the dramas they've subbed, so I can't comment but who's to say there ISN'T actually room for improvement? Sadly we non-members have no way to know atm.

Of course this wouldn't be the only critical factor in deciding whether or not it's worth subbing the same show twice (a group/subber has to be interested and find it worthwhile first and foremost) but if their LJ posts are anything to go by, this could still this be a possibility.

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Peanut wrote:Most of the subbers already know torachan's subs aren't accesible by the majority... if they decide not to re-sub a torachan's project, I think it's because they do have access to her/his LJ. I really understand it, why would you do a thing that's already done? (bad for me, though :D ) I guess that not publicizing it won't change that fact... :P

I would really like either:
1. Torachan2006's sub posted here (open to all d-addicts userbase), or
2. Series to be marked as Not Subbed. After that it is upto other subbers if they want to sub it or not. All we can do is hope :).

AND

3. The rule to be changed to "if it isn't open for all d-addicts users, it should not be posted on d-addict and marked as subbed".

My two cents for what it's worth, rest is upto the admins/mods.

frankch001

Postby frankch001 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

The best solution would be to continue to list it on fansub wiki but denote that the livejournal or external website has membership restriction.

It will helps maintain a sense of completion and it would be best for archival purposes. It also helps others interested in joining said group a choice to do so and allow other subbers to decide rather or not they would like to consider the project.

Not listing it serve no purpose. It doesn't help others interested in locating subs attempt join said group. (I know currently that group is currently closed off its membership.) If other subbers were interested in it, they would have subbed it already.

All we're doing is just mainly crying over spill milk. This thread can go on forever with everybody adding more comments about the pro and cons of listing and not listing it. But the stalk reality is if another subber wanted to pick it up they had to option to do so.

My two - cents for whatever it's worth.

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Is there any conclusion from the internal discussion? Please keep us posted. Would be curious to seek Mods/Admins opinion. :-)

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:13 am

First of all I want to apologize for my lack of English, I hope not to sound too rude and be clear enough.

I fully agree with frankch001. I still can't see the purpose of not listing torachan's subs... unless we want to put some kind of penalty on them. I mean,... I'm almost a newbie here, and I already know that accessing torachan's subs is quite difficult. Do I think senior subbers don't know that? No way. But the subs is something that are done in one's free time... so to use that time to 'improve a sub' is really hard.

IMHO, the main problem here is that we wish certain subs and we can't have them because they are done by torachan. We don't have a way to say to subbers... "hey! a lot of people want this series subbed at D-addicts, would you be so kind to sub it, please?" (there's a rule not to ask)... so we want to pretend that the subs of torachan aren't there, maybe that way someone will pick them up... but I think it would be more honest to have a respectful way to let the subbers know wich series are the most interesting for the audience... without pressure. Of course the last decision of sub it or not, is on subbers themselves.

On the other hand, I'm ok the way we are now. If I can't see a series that I'd like to see... well... bad luck! :P

Thanks for reading :)
Last edited by Peanut on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ais

Postby Ais » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 am

I'm not a mod or admin or something but I have been a part of the d-addicts and jdrama fansubbing community for quite a while now (with my old "abandoned" alias, zeldAIS).

During the earlier years, the problem then was when some group / subber started working on a title, another group / subber will suddenly vulture the title. That's why there was a rule made in the community that you have to start fansubbing a title from the start. Of course, these has somewhat altered a bit regarding some aspects like the original subber has abandoned the title, etc, but that's not the point. Dr Rintaro and other titles can still be worked on with different subbers (good example was last season's My Home JDrama).

Totally false. I have no access.

As I stated in the fansubwiki, I still prefer that subs like that are listed for completion sake - just that it should be indicated that it's not publicly available.

PS: I'm darn interested in working on Dr Rintaro after watching ep1 with Japanese subs - but just like my original plan of Lunch no Akkochan, it's below my priority. Don't want to start a series when I haven't finished two series I haven't even finished yet orz;; Movies, drama specials and oneshots translations are another thing though, so I prioritize that sadly ROFLMAO

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Looking for more opinions from others whether restricted subs (not only torachan's/doramatique's) should be listed on FansubWiki or not, thank you. :)
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Talk:Jdrama_Fansub_Map

Tenma-san

Postby Tenma-san » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:25 am

Hi guys! Well, maybe you already know but i'll say it anyway... A good soul decided to give this dorama a try and subbed, for the time being, the first four episodes. You can check it here: http://chuline.livejournal.com/37644.html :cheers: :thumleft: :notworthy:

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:57 am

Keiko1981 wrote:Looking for more opinions from others whether restricted subs (not only torachan's/doramatique's) should be listed on FansubWiki or not, thank you. :)
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Talk:Jdrama_Fansub_Map

I think they should be listed (because they exist in this world), but tagged as "closed community" or something along those lines (because depending on where they are accessibility might be almost unattainable) .

That is all the information needed for users to know where and how to get them and for subbers to decide if the remaining crowd might be big enough so that picking it up would be worthwhile.

if Tenma-san hadn't pointed out that there is someone sharing subs for this (thank you), I would've offered untimed machine translations for someone to retime and post them.

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I understand the view point that if the sub exists (even if it is closed), it should be listed, though I will have to disagree with that. This forum and the community is setup for drama lovers and I don't think that any further classification (apart from being a member of d-addicts) should be applied to the users. If I am a member of d-addicts, why should I be forced to join livejournal to get access to subtitles that are meant for d-addicts users (if it isn't meant for d-addicts users .... why post it here?) .. so for me and many others who are not "privileged" to be in secret closed societies, even if that subtitle exists... it has no meaning. what is the point of finding out that a subtitle exists for the series that I am longing to watch.. but .. I can't access it.

Having said that, it may help other users and subbers who have access/visibility into those closed societies to take decisions on whether to sub it again or not. I would much rather have subbers, who want to release subs to a closed group, release their subs in private locations on LJ or any other equivalent forums where members of these secret societies frequent rather than posting it here.

I know I keep raising same points.. but to me it is much more a fundamental issue.. is d-addict a community bound by affection towards dramas.. or is d-addict just a forum of aggregating information.. if it is former ..then I stand by my point of not giving preference to closed subcommunities.. if it is latter I take all my arguments back.

In any case, I haven't forgotten the immense effort that subbers have to put in to sub a series. It is all thanks to their hard work that people like me can even think about watching j/k-dramas :salut:. Respect to all those who keep drama community going!!

Sam Phoenix

Postby Sam Phoenix » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Last edited by Sam Phoenix on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Dr Rintaro and Should restricted subs be listed on FansubWiki?

Postby Madoka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:43 pm

I also think restricted subs should be listed and marked as such.

Is the issue with Torachan the restricted access or the closed membership? Many of these communities have membership requirements but open membership where all you need to do is post a "Hello" type message with, perhaps, your favorite show or actor/actress, to join. Is that considered restricted, if anyone can easily join? Or should everything be posted here on d-addicts?

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi PickNoMadoka,

The first issue is with restricted/closed memberships.. which is a "kind-of" blocker issue i.e. if majority of d-addicts users have no access to those communities should the subtitles be posted here? (example, Torachan's subs). Also, please note that Torachan's name is being cited here as an example :) I share no vendetta against Torachan, they have done nothing wrong by closing access to subtitles. It's just the issue of whether such closed access subs be listed on d-addicts when majority of users do not have access to them. Listing them on d-addicts prevents other subbers from picking up those series' .. yada yada yada.. vulturism.. etc etc. the whole laundry list of concerns around that point.

Second issue (a minor one) is forcing d-addicts members to be a member of another community like LJ for accessing the subs. I see no point in that unless d-addict is an information aggregator (as mentioned in my previous post).

If a conclusion has been reached on this issue I would request Mods/Admins to post it here and close this thread as I think all the relevant points and opinions have already been posted. :-)

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Madoka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:24 pm

I think that the FanSubWiki (opposed to DA itself) is an information collection site and therefore should be as complete as possible. For those DA members who are part of LJ and perhaps even members of some of these communities, it is useful information. Some DA members may not object to joining LJ and said community. Posting that information there would not prevent someone else from producing subs on DA. In fact, if listed as restricted, perhaps some kind soul would be motivated to do open subs even if someone else has done them. Perhaps not, but not listing them is as if we're pretending they don't exist because we're denied access to them. In that case, the Wiki should be limited to registered DA members so it's consistent as a DA community resource. Currently you don't need to be a DA member to download subtitles or check the wiki.

koshonin

Postby koshonin » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:21 am

just a thought:: maybe someone with access to LJ could invite http://chuline.livejournal.com/37644.html to join DA

I don't believe it, but there might be some people out there who haven't heart of DA yet :)

Hellraiser321

Postby Hellraiser321 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Mods/Admins: Is there any agreement on this topic amongst mods/admins and subbers?