CloudFlare

New D-Addicts phpBB3 forum discussions
sukida
Liechtenstein

CloudFlare

Post by sukida » Jan 12th, '15, 05:52

one difference is that the old forum never asked for a captcha. cloudflare asks for a captcha for almost every click even if i am logged in. can you set the option in cloudflare to make this work better?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Re: cloudflare

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 12th, '15, 12:46

Yeah, it looks like we've been using CloudFlare as proxy service since end of December 2014 or so.

Don't ask me why. It surely has some advantages. I did only noticed it by accident when wondering about the recent DNS problems of some users. I didn't noticed it earlier because I bypassed it by accessing the forum server directly (via hosts file).

If you're getting lots of captchas then it might be because your IP address looks very suspicious to CloudFlare. Have you tried it without using any anonymizer tools? Obviously you are accessing the forum through the TOR network and that's why your IP is blacklisted and treated as "bad peer".

http://176.10.99.209/
http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/176.10.99.209
http://cleantalk.org/blacklists?record=176.10.99.209
http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?act ... .10.99.209

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 14th, '15, 19:48

I get the errors 524 and 520 quite regularly indicating cloudflare has issues connecting to the DAserver
524: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... -Error-524
maybe you need to do something about it

Miharu-Rush
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Miharu-Rush » Jan 15th, '15, 05:39

koshonin wrote:I get the errors 524 and 520 quite regularly indicating cloudflare has issues connecting to the DAserver
This also happened a lot to me while using Chrome, although it doesn't happen at all when I use Firefox. :scratch:

waf
Administrator
Administrator

Post by waf » Apr 12th, '15, 22:40

i am trying to get in touch with ruroshin (tony) to try to fix these issues (as well as the fansub wiki issue).

one reason we use cloudflare is that it supports ssl on all domains.

waf
Administrator
Administrator

Post by waf » Apr 12th, '15, 22:43

koshonin wrote:I get the errors 524 and 520 quite regularly indicating cloudflare has issues connecting to the DAserver
if you do get 524 errors, the da server is very likely not responding and thus actually timing out. if this occurs very often, then there may be something else wrong with the da server.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: CloudFlare

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 12th, '15, 23:37

Something I've noticed. It seems like the forum goes down almost daily, about the same time 11:30-12:00 (noon) Swedish time.

It almost seems like it's on schedule. :scratch: I've also seen several other sites having issues with CloudFlare error messages. AsiaTorrents, and today reported The Pirate Bay.

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Apr 13th, '15, 20:26

Is it the time when all the scheduled tasks are running?

btw how do you update the subtitles index? are you running a task once every few days or do you map the subtitles threads to the index?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 15th, '15, 14:25

524 and 520 errors (from CloudFlare):
Such errors may happen when accessing the forum when the forum server is veryvery busy or when it crashed (see next paragraph). Then the cloudflare proxy cannot access our forum server. The CloudFlare proxy is a worldwide distributed network. The service quality may also depend on your location (country, state, or continent).

downtimes at noon:
Yes, at 11:00 and at 12:00 (noon, European time) we do our daily scheduled backups. During that time the servers (forum and wikis) may be more or less unusable for some minutes. The critical database backups take only 1-2 minutes. After that some uncritical file backups and file transfers start, which take about 30-60 minutes. During that time the servers may run slower than usual. If the forum server is very busy then the forum and/or the search function will be automatically disabled.

Besides that, I noticed on the forum server that the database service runs instable sometimes... especially during the backup time. When the database service crashes it takes about 1 hour until the mysql server self-recovers. Such a crash seems to happen when the server runs out of memory. I guess the problem is related to the forum search function. Maybe switching the search backend from "phpBB Native Fulltext" to "MySQL Fulltext" or some other forum configuration tweaks can help. The wiki server runs stable... no crashes at all.

the subtitles list:
The list is generated hourly as an html file through a cron job. The html file is "imported" by the Pages extension we use for the forum menu bar. Unfortunately these pages are static/cached like all phpBB3 forum interface elements. Thus, the page gets updated only when some admin manually flushes the forum's template cache. That's why I had added a direct link to the html file at the bottom of the subtitles list.
Maybe someday I'll integrate the subtitle list through a different extension if such an extension is available. Then you can always see the latest updated list... like it was in the old forum.

sukida
Liechtenstein

Post by sukida » May 21st, '15, 03:13

i have heard that if you are administering the site, you can set the settings to not give tor users such a hard time, without affecting spam significantly. the settings might allow for less-impossible captchas (the impossible ones make humans wonder if they are human), or let you log in first, or several other options. some people can't change how they go to the internet.

sukida
Liechtenstein

Post by sukida » May 21st, '15, 03:14

i have heard that cloudflare's defaults are really harsh on tor, unnecessarily so, and can be relaxed quite a bit without affecting spam. worth trying for a bit?

Bulma33

Post by Bulma33 » May 24th, '19, 12:40

Keiko1981 wrote: Apr 12th, '15, 23:37 Something I've noticed. It seems like the forum goes down almost daily, about the same time 11:30-12:00 (noon) Swedish time.

It almost seems like it's on schedule. :scratch: I've also seen several other sites having issues with CloudFlare error messages. AsiaTorrents, and today reported The Pirate Bay obtenir crédit .
Inoticed that too

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 24th, '19, 12:47

Bulma33 wrote: May 24th, '19, 12:40
Keiko1981 wrote: Apr 12th, '15, 23:37 Something I've noticed. It seems like the forum goes down almost daily, about the same time 11:30-12:00 (noon) Swedish time.

It almost seems like it's on schedule. :scratch: I've also seen several other sites having issues with CloudFlare error messages. AsiaTorrents, and today reported The Pirate Bay obtenir crédit .
Inoticed that too
Replying to a post from 2015... Red flags are waving = Possible spammer.