I love it! Some questions and concerns?

New D-Addicts phpBB3 forum discussions

I love it! Some questions and concerns?

Post by 60610 » Mar 18th, '14, 05:06

So we are getting phpBB3? Finally! It has been about 10 years. That took long. LOL! Some worries:

1. How will this affect all our torrents?

2. Will all our threads and posts be savaged?

3. What is the purpose and reasons for upgrading to phpBB3?

4. Have you guys look at other options like Simple Machines or vBulletin?

5. When is the official launch plan?

waf
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I love it! Some questions and concerns?

Post by waf » Mar 24th, '14, 04:20

60610 wrote:So we are getting phpBB3? Finally! It has been about 10 years. That took long. LOL! Some worries:

1. there will be an official plugin/mod that supports torrents. obviously, continuous improvements even after it is "released"

2. yes, though old posts/spam may be truncated.

3. because phpbb2 is old

4. vbulletin costs money, which i doubt is in our plans. and smf, we would have to decide if that is a better move or not. again, suggestions welcome.

5. after i finish the torrents plugin. any help appreciated from anyone.

lordmetroid

Post by lordmetroid » Apr 13th, '14, 11:09

Wouldn't it be a lot more convienent if the subtitles forum was divided in different languages such as hungarian, italian, japanese, english, etc. That way one could easier find subtitles in the language one wishes.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 13th, '14, 11:40

lordmetroid wrote:Wouldn't it be a lot more convienent if the subtitles forum was divided in different languages such as hungarian, italian, japanese, english, etc. That way one could easier find subtitles in the language one wishes.
For now we have the subtitles index
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php
Categorized by language, I don't know how things will be in the future.

Sub forum by language for Subtitles forum?
But maybe it would become very/too many sub forums.

semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by semi-fly » Apr 17th, '14, 23:33

I'm honestly looking forward to the forum getting a update as the overall theme/appearance of the site has stayed rather bland (IMO) over the years and could really use some TLC.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Apr 18th, '14, 01:52

waf wrote:
60610 wrote:So we are getting phpBB3? Finally! It has been about 10 years. That took long. LOL! Some worries:

1. there will be an official plugin/mod that supports torrents. obviously, continuous improvements even after it is "released"

3. because phpbb2 is old

4. vbulletin costs money, which i doubt is in our plans. and smf, we would have to decide if that is a better move or not. again, suggestions welcome.

Not sure that your answer to question 3 is really an answer.

So, phpbb2 is old?

Just because something is old does not mean it needs to be replaced. Now if more features are included, better security, faster updating, eaiser to maintain, etc etc. are valid reasons.

But I am sorry being old is not a valid reason.

:-(

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 21st, '14, 08:29

lordmetroid wrote:That way one could easier find subtitles in the language one wishes.

I think the subtitle index is enough. Maybe it isn't the best place to put the link for the subtitle index on the left side of the menu bar. I suggest a revised menu bar on the top of DA like Home - Dramas - Subtitles - Wiki - Help - Search - Login/Profile. And a well-arranged menu bar on the left side with a better placed search field.

J-zavislak

Post by J-zavislak » Apr 28th, '14, 17:19

Hello!
First I really want to thank you all who are building and keeping this site.
I am sorry not to be helpful in this, because all i do is good old static html coding...
But maybe upgrading this site system could be also some good chance to think about D-addicts content structure.

Well, imho, I'd appreciate really very much, if this site can be somewhat divided by theme to Japanese (e.g. D-addicts J), then to Korean (D-addicts K), to Chinese... etc.
Please do not get me wrong, but mixing of these Asian distinctive cultures is something, which I do not like (with much respect to all cultures of the universe).

But do not take me so seriously, I know my "position" of D-addicts "greenhorn" here very well... and I am sorry if you'll feel this my note as "off-topic" here.
Once again thank you!!!

waf
Administrator
Administrator

Post by waf » May 6th, '14, 06:58

dhisashi wrote:
waf wrote:

3. because phpbb2 is old

Not sure that your answer to question 3 is really an answer.

So, phpbb2 is old?

Just because something is old does not mean it needs to be replaced. Now if more features are included, better security, faster updating, eaiser to maintain, etc etc. are valid reasons.

But I am sorry being old is not a valid reason.

:-(
yeah, sorry about that. phpbb3 does have all of what you said above, but it is in fact actually old. phpbb2 is not supported, as far as i know, since 2008. meaning that any security exploits discovered will not be fixed. phpbb3 should be easier to maintain as well, i think, because there are better features.

Melusine

Post by Melusine » Jan 2nd, '15, 18:36

Hi glad to have you back.

I'm having a trouble with some of the links to the old forum. every time I got this message :
"phpBB : Critical Error

Error updating session key

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1142 UPDATE command denied to user 'daddict_forumbo'@'localhost' for table 'phpbb_sessions_keys'

UPDATE phpbb_sessions_keys SET last_ip = '6ca2e5e7', key_id = '2b05676cd4b25f587590db9a69557d63', last_login = 1420223197 WHERE key_id = '32a9f574564527e53612b222b04273ad'

Line : 233
File : sessions.php ".

and I notice that some of the post have disappear during the transfer or at maybe the transfer is not finish?