Beginner Suggestions Anyone? Help

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
NovatoJudoka

Beginner Suggestions Anyone? Help

Postby NovatoJudoka » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I hoping to become a solid dependable subber/timer/encoder over time. beginner

Are there any tools that anyone could suggest to get me started?

I have downloaded aegisubs and could anyone suggest a sample video to practice with subtitles on a notepad file so I can load and time it myself?

I speak Spanish and Korean, but my Korean does need a lot of work.

Also I loaded a 1080p MP4 video onto aegisubs but the video was stuttering and moving slowly but it was only a music video under 4 minutes. Is there a reason it's stuttering? Because I've loaded movies on it before but it ran smoothly but those videos were AVIs.

Does my computer just suck?
Last edited by NovatoJudoka on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby k361 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Check you cpu load during play of the 1080p video, maybe you cpu is on the limit :)

I am not used to editing subtitles, but why not open existing subtitle with aegissub for studing?

NovatoJudoka

Postby NovatoJudoka » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks, I checked an MP4 video with 720 quality and it ran smoothly. My CPU was reaching it's max with aegisub open and everything.

Thanks for the suggestion too.

I'm practicing hardcoding subs into a video with AVI ReComp. I finished editing, timing and loaded everything. I keep getting an error message when trying to hardcode it.

Can anyone tell me why it keeps coming up with an error message?
It's a music video 720p,

Part of the message says
"Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found"

*Side note*
What do you guys usually do if your subbing a video and certain segment already has subs in the video?

What I mean is when a Korean drama has a English speaking seen with Korean subs being displayed and your subbing it in a language other than English, like Spanish or Chinese.

Where should the subs be placed?