How to encode HQ/HD??

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
Natsu-pi

How to encode HQ/HD??

Postby Natsu-pi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 pm

I have a few questions about encoding since I rlly suck at it and just don't seem to
get the hang of it.

Anyway my questions are
How do you make the resolution HQ or HD and keep the file small (under 1GB) if keeping
the file small is impossible tell me just how to make it HQ or HD.
And also about adding the subs, I use Virtual dub as my endcoding program and

I know how to hardsub and all, but I can't hardsub subs that have been typeset (aegissub)
I can only use .SSA files and no other (no .ASS or .SRT)

Is there btw another encoding program available which you can also hardsub with?

I hope someone can help me out and maybe even volunteer to
be an encoder for the fansubgroup Niji.

If somebody is interested please mail us at Niji_Fansubs@hotmail.com
applies for other functions are welcome too.

Thank you for your time!
http://natsupi.livejournal.com/
Image AM I SEEING THIS RIGHT?! MORE FANFICTION?!

zeldAIS
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: How to encode HQ/HD??

Postby zeldAIS » Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Natsu-pi wrote:Anyway my questions are
How do you make the resolution HQ or HD and keep the file small (under 1GB)
That really depends on how long the video file is and how "HQ" you want the file, how high or low the bitrate of the video and audio.

Natsu-pi wrote:if keeping the file small is impossible tell me just how to make it HQ or HD.
HQ meaning high quality right? When you mean HD you mean High Definition right? I would suggest making the video bitrate higher. That also depends on what codec you will use. x264 codec has higher compressing ability than XviD and will have higher quality.

Natsu-pi wrote:And also about adding the subs, I use Virtual dub as my endcoding program and
I know how to hardsub and all, but I can't hardsub subs that have been typeset (aegissub)
I can only use .SSA files and no other (no .ASS or .SRT)
If your using the latest hacked VSFilter that is with the newest Aegisub, you won't have a problem with hardsubbing .ass files. And oh, you can still "typeset" using .srt and .ssa (just letting you know ^^;; )

Natsu-pi wrote:Is there btw another encoding program available which you can also hardsub with?
VirtualDub is one but for h264/aac mp4 container, I personally use meGUI. I know some of the people who are better than me use StaxRip. But compared to Virtualdub, the learning of both might take some time as both uses mostly avisynth.

I highly suggest go google and read endlessly and research regarding about encoding. A good encoding community site about all these stuff is doom9.org. I personally didn't posted anything and just used search and read and read and study and experiment, etc.

Hope I was of some help :)
"the fansubs/scanlations community must be helping and understanding each other"
"quality fansubs/scanlations takes quality time"
"lazy and nagging leechers makes fansubbers/scanlators assholes"

wobblywalker

Postby wobblywalker » Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 pm

I use Subtitle Workshop to convert .srt or .ass files into .ssa files before trying to hardsub. Sorry, I don't know anything about file sizes...

zeldAIS
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby zeldAIS » Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 am

wobblywalker wrote:I use Subtitle Workshop to convert .srt or .ass files into .ssa files before trying to hardsub. Sorry, I don't know anything about file sizes...
That can also be done by Aegisub using the Export function.
"the fansubs/scanlations community must be helping and understanding each other"

"quality fansubs/scanlations takes quality time"

"lazy and nagging leechers makes fansubbers/scanlators assholes"

Return to “Fansub Mentoring”