Start of subbing

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
JaJe

Start of subbing

Postby JaJe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey! I would like to start fansubbing different movies, doramas etc. but I´m not sure where to start! I haven´t done it never before, so it´s all new to me. I want to do it, because my best friend has a trouble with hearing and her English isn´t so great to understand all the subs, but she loves Jdoramas, so I want to make a gift to her and start subbing different movies/jdoramas into her mother tongue. :-)

For now I would like to sub from English (because my Japanese isn´t so fluent yet) to different languages. But I have no idea where should I start and what should I do. I have read different threads about subbing, but as a result it all has come really fussy.
Can anyone give me tips how to start and talk about their starts? :D
The awesome moment when an otaku like me goes out with her super popular friend and sees more of her own acquaintances than her friends - and it wasn''t even an anime/drama party. :w00t:

NIS

Postby NIS » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 pm

I started translating like you did, but i joined a group of anime fansubbers. After that i became interested in other aspects of fansubbing and i learned how to time and typeset. Everything is "self-taught", with the help of google.

I think you should check out the Aegisub Manual:

http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Main_Page

Here's a short summary of what you'd need to do:

If you only want to translate a show from english to w/e it's really easy.
Download Aegisub (you'll find it with Google), and install it. Download the episode and hope that it has softsubs.
If you can download the subtitle file extra, good for you. You can open the .srt in Aegisub, load the Video (Video - Open Video... in Aegisub) as well as the Audio (Audio - Open Audio from Video) and go to Subtitles - Translation Assistant...

You only have to translate the lines and save the file.

Then you have a translated .srt/.ass that you can use to mux/play/etc.

If the english fansub you downloaded only has the video and no seperate subtitle file, but still uses softsubs you can download MKVextractGUI, install and drop the video into the input panel.
In the Content panel you check the box next to the Track that says subtitles, chose the folder you want to save the subtitle file (Output) and hit Extract!

After that you have your subtitle file you can open and translate with Aegisub like stated before.

If the english subs are hardsubbed you'd have to learn how to time as well, but that would take too long to explain. I'm sure you can find some tutorials with google or here on the forum. I spotted 5 so far so it shouldn't be to hard :)

tango

Postby tango » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 pm

That is so sweet of you!

I think that it might help others to know what OS you use. (win, mac, linux, etc)

Ganbatte! :cheers:

sawara

Postby sawara » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:52 am

There are soft subtitles and hard subtitles. You have to look out for soft subtiles (files which end on .srt and .ass, you find a lot of them on this site ^^). You can start right now with a video player and a simple text editor ( for instance notepad ). Open the subtitle file in the text editor and you see a lot of lines like that:

(example of an srt-file)
00:15:29,160 --> 00:15:32,490
I like choosing what to wear.

00:15:32,490 --> 00:15:34,990
Your taste is different from other girls.

00:15:34,990 --> 00:15:37,560
I knew it! You are superb!

(end example)

Now just translate all the lines into your friend's mother tongue. You might want to watch the drama in another window to give you context. That's all. If you become more experienced you might want to try out programs like aegisub (win,mac) or subtitleeditor (linux).

charia-chan

Postby charia-chan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:59 am

When I started subbing, I joined a group.^^

You find several groups here on d-addicts. You could ask them (for help, for permission to use their English subs etc.)

SouthsideIrish

Postby SouthsideIrish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, I might as well be the third person from Dramaniac to post. Since I time and typeset I will talk about that. Just do it. I timed a PV using Aegisub. Didn't know how to use it, but I tried, just to try to get familiar with it. Then I watched the three tutorial's on Youtube from that1guytim http://www.youtube.com/user/that1guytim. Then I did more timing, gradually learning more about Aegisub. Then worked through morphinex's FAQ http://members.shaw.ca/tragd/textsub_pl ... phinex.txt and did every example. Also Aegisub has a good FAQ. Each time you work on something you will learn more and get better.

I got lucky as we formed a group to do a one shot project, and by the end of the 11 episodes I will be a pretty good timer, not so much on typesetting, that will only improve if I push myself to learn it.

JaJe

Postby JaJe » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Thank you all ^o^
I´ll try my best!

hidde

Postby hidde » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi, i want to start translate the sub for my friend too,
she don't really understand the drama because it's english sub >_<

thanks for this thread, now i know how to translate it faster, with aegisub

btw, if i want to download the english softsub and edit it, should i ask for permission to use it?
it's for a personal use though, i'll use it for watching it with my friends or just for watching it alone...
i won't post it to internet and won't delete their credits too :)

charia-chan

Postby charia-chan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi hidde,

I think every subbing group would appreciate it if you let them know beforehand that you want to use their English subs for translation^^ It shows your interest in their work.
What language are you going to translate into?

hidde

Postby hidde » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank you charia-chan ^^

I want to translate it into Indonesian :)
many indonesian prefer to watch movie or drama with english sub, that's why indonesian subtitle is kinda hard to find...

Return to “Fansub Mentoring”