Which subtitling programs would you suggest for a mac user?

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
watersoflethe

Which subtitling programs would you suggest for a mac user?

Postby watersoflethe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 am

Hello everyone
i was wondering if anyone can suggest any good subtitling programs for the mac?
i have jubler and it is good for altering subs but i would like a program that can also be useful for creating subs as well but i have no idea which ones would be good. can anyone give me any suggestions based on the ones they've used?
thank you very much :D

wmcnair370

Postby wmcnair370 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Being a Mac user myself I just went and downloaded the Sun VirtualBox and Windows 7 so I could use all of the Windows tools out there. Right now Windows is free for a year, and Aegisub works good in it.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby theuncontactable » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:18 pm

If you don't like Windows, you can dual-boot of Ubuntu Linux after installing refit. Then install the Ubuntu build of Aegisub. Ask google for advice on how to do it. Ubuntu Linux is really easy to install unlike Linux in the past.

watersoflethe

Postby watersoflethe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 am

i have windows as well, but my windows is a korean windows and seems to have a lot of problems. since everyone's suggestion is to install windows i think i'll just reinstall windows and use aegisub..
thanks for the suggestion everyone

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby theuncontactable » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:59 am

I migrated to the Mac because I hated Windows. I found Windows annoying; I don't like their file system and file structure and I don't like Microsoft's business model.

I know it's your computer and you should do what you want - but I think you should give Ubuntu a chance if you are just going to use it for subbing. I think most people recommended Windows because that's all they know.

So far I have used Aegisub (light's build) on Ubuntu, and the windows version of Utorrent under WINE and they work really well. Apparently you could use Avidemux for hardcoding of subs as well.

The Gui is somewhere between Mac and Windows. If I run into any problems and have to use the terminal I just google the problem and usually just cut and past the commands onto the terminal.

And the best thing about it is: all my software are free and legal.

Kakijun

Postby Kakijun » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 am

I don't usually use my mac to watch dramas but if I was I would use the same program I use for my PC: the latest version of VLC player. The newest one will play .ass files as well or better than media player classic(at least on PC it will)

«minah»

Postby «minah» » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:20 am

I have something called "Miyu." I used it to fix subs that I downloaded that have strange characters in them. It makes srt files and other formats.

watersoflethe

Postby watersoflethe » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 pm

theuncontactable wrote:I migrated to the Mac because I hated Windows. I found Windows annoying; I don't like their file system and file structure and I don't like Microsoft's business model.

I know it's your computer and you should do what you want - but I think you should give Ubuntu a chance if you are just going to use it for subbing. I think most people recommended Windows because that's all they know.

So far I have used Aegisub (light's build) on Ubuntu, and the windows version of Utorrent under WINE and they work really well. Apparently you could use Avidemux for hardcoding of subs as well.

The Gui is somewhere between Mac and Windows. If I run into any problems and have to use the terminal I just google the problem and usually just cut and past the commands onto the terminal.

And the best thing about it is: all my software are free and legal.

thank you for the detailed answer. i am a mac user because i didn't like windows as well. :lol but since i only wanted a program for very light and nonfrequent work, i dont really want to leave my mac os if possible (since i'm not going to use it often). i have used ubuntu but i had problems with it since it didn't support majority of the korean files i had. however thank you very much for the suggestion i will keep it in mind.

Kakijun wrote:I don't usually use my mac to watch dramas but if I was I would use the same program I use for my PC: the latest version of VLC player. The newest one will play .ass files as well or better than media player classic(at least on PC it will)

i think you misunderstood my question....

«minah» wrote:I have something called "Miyu." I used it to fix subs that I downloaded that have strange characters in them. It makes srt files and other formats.

thank you. i will check this out. i actually need the program for a simliar reason as well. thank you.

citrone

Postby citrone » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:58 pm

If your intention is to translate or develop subs forget MAC application and find a way to use Aegisub. In theory it can also be used in MAC but in practice it is almost impossible.

If you want to modify subs for some char set change or shifting times you can use free SubtitleEditor application. However if you have character problems sometimes it may not open the text file. So what I do is to use a text editor to change charset to UTF-8 then use subtitle editor to shift time data.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Drazic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:17 pm

citrone wrote:If your intention is to translate or develop subs forget MAC application and find a way to use Aegisub. In theory it can also be used in MAC but in practice it is almost impossible.

They're doing Mac builds now so it's made a lot easier. Still a bit slower than the windows versio but it's good enough and i'm sure it will improve.

http://ftp.aegisub.org/pub/tinderbox/osx/

And if you just want to edit subs, Miyu should be good too.

citrone

Postby citrone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Drazic wrote:
citrone wrote:If your intention is to translate or develop subs forget MAC application and find a way to use Aegisub. In theory it can also be used in MAC but in practice it is almost impossible.

They're doing Mac builds now so it's made a lot easier. Still a bit slower than the windows versio but it's good enough and i'm sure it will improve.

http://ftp.aegisub.org/pub/tinderbox/osx/

And if you just want to edit subs, Miyu should be good too.

Thanks I didn't know they provide builds..

Ladymercury

Postby Ladymercury » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 am

The bad side to the builds is that they are insanely buggy, its like hit and miss. Either one build will work with audio and crash on video or crash on both.

Or just crash on load.

Its not even worth the headache. I just got my mac, forced upon me by my school, and I'm dying here trying to find an Aegisub alternative.

I guess I'm stuck having to use VirtualBox on here if I need to use Aegisub.

aznlilboiz

Postby aznlilboiz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:17 am

try iSub, its the best for mac

Ladymercury

Postby Ladymercury » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:14 am

Link? I get everything but a fansubbing program when i google for it.

Also, for those looking for a somewhat stable -- but still unpredictable with mxWidget warnings all over the place -- build of Aegisub for mac, try this one: aegisub-Darwin-PPC-mokona-14-r2876

Return to “Fansub Mentoring”