Chinese subtitle won't read

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
MexicanHat

Chinese subtitle won't read

Postby MexicanHat » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey guys. I wasn't sure if this belonged here but since this section of the forum also contained subtitles I thought I would give it a shot. My main problem is I have downloaded Chinese subtitles for Supernatural and I was unable to read them because they came out as funny symbols. However I did find that if I pasted the whole text into NJ Star and saved it as a new file it could read the file because it was now encoded into unicode. My pc can watch both the avi and srt file now correctly.

However here lies the problem. My dvd player can not read the srt file now encoded into unicode text and when I try to convert the unicode back into ansi to make a new srt file, my dvd player won't read it. Is there anyway to make the srt readable in ansi format so my dvd player can read it? the show is meant for my parents to watch on tv otherwise I wouldn't of bothered :(

sungie

Postby sungie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:05 pm

DVD players only support ANSI soft subs as far as I know. And the players do not support Unicode characters.

I guess you have no choice but to encode subs to video.

Return to “Fansub Mentoring”