Ubuntu: program for timing and subbing?

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
jica

Ubuntu: program for timing and subbing?

Postby jica » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Usually I use Subtitle Workshop (URUsoft) to time .srt-files, but recently I'm running Ubuntu instead of Windows XP and I want some help to find a similar program to work with. What I like about Subtitle Workshop is that you can use the video to time the subtitle lines, there are buttons you can click on to decide the duration of the sub, it saves some time instead of writing every time frame manually.

I've tried Subtitle Editor and Gaupol Subtitle Editor which is merely editors, not convenient for timing. KSubtile doesn't work for me, it only crashes. Using Subtitle Workshop in WINE doesn't work either (I can't even open the program).

Someone please help, I'm getting a bit frustrated here. T_T

atskv9

Postby atskv9 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 am

I'm not even a linux user but have you tried using Aegisub (another subtitling program) with Wine? Seems like many subbers are using this program today.

I'll let some actual linux users chime in before I give any more bad advice :lol

torerling

Postby torerling » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:43 am

I usually use subtitleeditor, for both translating and subbing, now that it has hotkeys it is possible to use ;)

jica

Postby jica » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 pm

atskv9: I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks.

torerling: what is hotkeys?

konsui

Postby konsui » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:49 pm

Aegisub is the weapon of choice in the anime fansub community, and is developed by fansubbers for fansubbers, so you can count on it having everything you need.

It has nice features like selective pasting, so you can translate into notepad (which a lot of translators find most convenient) and then paste it all into Aegisub to continue working.

jica

Postby jica » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:48 pm

I haven't had time to test it yet, but it looks great. Thank you for the caps, konsui! =)

konsui

Postby konsui » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:54 pm

You can set up buttons (on the keyboard) that you can click to mark the start and end of a line.
You can also switch to audio spectrum mode (waveform mode is shown in the screenshots), which - when there's no significant background music, should allow you to be able to *see* when people talk and that makes it a lot easier to time accurately.

jica

Postby jica » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:36 pm

konsui wrote:You can set up buttons (on the keyboard) that you can click to mark the start and end of a line.
You can also switch to audio spectrum mode (waveform mode is shown in the screenshots), which - when there's no significant background music, should allow you to be able to *see* when people talk and that makes it a lot easier to time accurately.

Yeah, to be able to see when people talk with the waveform should make it easier. =)

I saw there were different versions of the program (Windows, Linux, Mac) so maybe I don't need to run it with WINE.

konsui

Postby konsui » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am

The screenshot I showed you shows it running on Ubuntu, and the subtitle says "Ubuntu on Linux (Native and all!)"... so yes... obviously...

jica

Postby jica » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm

LOL. It did. I missed that. O.o

shadow-of-sin

Postby shadow-of-sin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:31 am

You can download the pre-compiled deb of Aegisub for Ubuntu from here:
http://lulzicon.com/?page_id=10

jica

Postby jica » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:32 pm

shadow-of-sin wrote:You can download the pre-compiled deb of Aegisub for Ubuntu from here:
http://lulzicon.com/?page_id=10

Thanks for the link. I've managed to install it. Going to try the program now. =)