[Tutorial] Ripping Timing & Subs From AVI (SubDetector)

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
binky

[Tutorial] Ripping Timing & Subs From AVI (SubDetector)

Postby binky » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:38 am

How to Rip the Timing and English Subtitles from an AVI file using AVI SubDetector

I think the title for this guide speaks for itself.

Download the guide here.

I have updated the guide to use an episode of State of Divinity as the example.
All content within the guide should be the same, the images that were referring to the other fansub group have been replaced with this WXFS fansubbed episode of State of Divinity.
Last edited by binky on Sat May 13, 2006 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

john_ling2006

Re: Guide: How 2 Rip the Timing and English Subs from AVI

Postby john_ling2006 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:46 am

binky wrote:How to Rip the Timing and English Subs from an AVI file using AVI SubDetector

Download the guide here.

Can I use the program to rip Chinese Sub? Where to download AVISUBDETECTOR?

binky

Postby binky » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:44 pm

If you look in the guide there's a link to a possible download site for the program or you can google for it.

You can use the program to rip any language subs, but if you are using the OCR button you will have to be able to input in those foreign characters.

If you do not want to use the OCR portion, you can click on the automatic button instead of OCR(Experimental) and basically it will generate the SRT with the timings for you, and the BMPs of all the chinese subs.

john_ling2006

Postby john_ling2006 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 am

binky wrote:If you look in the guide there's a link to a possible download site for the program or you can google for it.

You can use the program to rip any language subs, but if you are using the OCR button you will have to be able to input in those foreign characters.

If you do not want to use the OCR portion, you can click on the automatic button instead of OCR(Experimental) and basically it will generate the SRT with the timings for you, and the BMPs of all the chinese subs.

Thanks for your reply and help. I try it out

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Gi-Ma-Mi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:00 pm

binky, i tried to rip subs for a series, everything went smoothly until it dectect the chinese character (step 9), it stoped there and not playing anymore, how to fix it?

Lowest

Postby Lowest » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:36 pm

LyNii

Postby LyNii » Sun May 07, 2006 2:25 am

wow thx for the helps guys!!

binky

Postby binky » Fri May 12, 2006 2:20 am

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:binky, i tried to rip subs for a series, everything went smoothly until it dectect the chinese character (step 9), it stoped there and not playing anymore, how to fix it?

for chinese subs..you probably don't want to click the OCR experimental button but save it as a jpg....that's probably why it's stopping..i don'tknow chinese...so you might want to refer to the japanese thread link that is in the post after yours...it might guide you on how to get the OCR working for chinese characters

sowwie for the late response...i've been busy with other stuff

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Gi-Ma-Mi » Sat May 13, 2006 3:26 am

but i saw you're ripping subs from ROCH, how you do that, you use the same tech?

binky

Postby binky » Sat May 13, 2006 3:37 am

when i was extracting the timing from a chinese hard subbed avi..i was just getting the chinese as bmp...not using OCR....

My steps when fansubbing a chinese hard subbed show is this:
1. Convert the file to AVI.
2. Using this guide, I extract the timing for the chinese subs (90% accuracy)
3. Using this guide, I extract the chinese subs as BMP.
4. I hand the BMP over to my translator and they translate from the BMP.
5. Translator hand me back the translated english text.
6. I combine the text and timing together to create my subtitle file.
7. I then hardcode my subtitle file to the video.

binky

Postby binky » Sat May 13, 2006 3:41 am

For ROCH, siince the Taiseng DVD have removable subs. I use a different technique.
1. Basically, I decrypt the .SUB file off of the dvd using this guide
2. I use SubRip to extract the timing and get the subs into bmp/jpg images.
3. I hand the BMP over to my translator and they translate from the BMP.
4. Translator hand me back the translated english text.
5. I combine the text and timing together to create my subtitle file.
6. I then hardcode my subtitle file to the video.

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Gi-Ma-Mi » Sat May 13, 2006 4:06 am

binky wrote:when i was extracting the timing from a chinese hard subbed avi..i was just getting the chinese as bmp...not using OCR....

My steps when fansubbing a chinese hard subbed show is this:
1. Convert the file to AVI.
2. Using this guide, I extract the timing for the chinese subs (90% accuracy)
3. Using this guide, I extract the chinese subs as BMP.
4. I hand the BMP over to my translator and they translate from the BMP.
5. Translator hand me back the translated english text.
6. I combine the text and timing together to create my subtitle file.
7. I then hardcode my subtitle file to the video.

for step 2 and 3, how can you only extract the timing and chinese subs as BMP?for example, i tried to open the avi file of ROCH (sorry ROCH subteam, just using it to test, not intend to really extract your subs) when the chinese subs for the lyrics of the beginning song appeared, it stopped detection, so how am i supposed to extract the timing and the BMP?

for step 6, do you mind to teach me how to combined text and timing together? :P

binky

Postby binky » Sat May 13, 2006 5:18 am

AVI Sub Detector automatically save the BMP and SRT file in SubPic directory and Text directory regardless of if it successfully read thru to the end of the file.

I do not know why your particular avi file is freezing up. I suggest you try some other file. I also suggest you reread thru my guide and make sure all your settings are set up the same way as mine and see if that resolve your issue. One way to test if the AVI file is not corrupted is to not click on the OCR button. That way it will only extract out the timing of the file. If that gets to the end of the file without freezing up then maybe the OCR engine is messed up. OCR is experimental and is not guaranteed to work 100%. At least that's what the author of the program says.

This guide will show you how to take an excel file and convert it to SRT. Basically, combining the english translation with a timing file. This particular guide is very specific to my group usage..so I suggest you look at other alternatives.

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Gi-Ma-Mi » Sat May 13, 2006 1:35 pm

not using OCR means either use Manual or Automatic, in this case, i use Automatic, is it right?

when you send the Subpic folder for the translator, will they have to right click,open, translate and close every single pic in Paint/Microsoft picture manager/... do we have some way to make it faster?

i noticed some of the BMP pics has no subs in there, so did the srt file count it in as one line? 'cause if it did so (count it as one line and set the timing for that line), when the translator skips that pics which has no line to translate, and then we combine the translation with the timing, the final timing will be off, won't it?

if i have one line like this: 'Hey' and it's repeated 3 times consecutively, so the result would be:
1) 3 bmp files and 3 timing lines? or
2) 1 bmp files and 3 timing lines? or
3) 1 bmp files and 1 timing lines?

btw: do you have some excel file, i want to get some practices :D

binky

Postby binky » Sat May 13, 2006 4:40 pm

the excel file is just a blank file. there's nothing special about it.
and yes you just open up each bmp file individually and translate each individually or if you sort the bmp by size...there are some really big size one...and they group up the individual bmp together in a clump....click on those and you can see a group of them

some of the bmp are blank because they are post or pre ocr file...you should just delete those...

but the timing file should have the name of the bmp file....so each bmp file will correspond to each line of timing in the file..

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Gi-Ma-Mi » Sat May 13, 2006 5:43 pm

as you say, the translators must go through lost of work if we do it this way, don't they
because at least they have to do 4 steps to get one line done: open the bmp pic in Paints/Microsoft picture manager/...(this may take some time for the pic to appear, not that much but it can drag the process), close the pic, go back to notepad and type in the translation, and then close the pic and then open another one.
is there any way you click one of those and there is a 'next' button for you chose the next pic?
obviously there's no software did such, so i want to know how you gourp up the individuall bmp together in a clump?

you also say each bmp file will correspond to each line of timing in the file, so do we have to fill in something (random thing) to match with its corresponded timing? 'cause if we don't, another translated line after that will match with its uncorresponded timing and so are the following lines which cause the timing be off. won't it?

if i have one line like this: 'Hey' and it's repeated 3 times consecutively, so the result would be:

regard that question, your answer is 1, right?

sorry for asking so many question :-(

ah, about the excel file, what i mean is ask you for one with translation, not just a black excel file :mrgreen:

dierkaes

Postby dierkaes » Sun May 14, 2006 1:26 pm

hi i wanted to rip subs from an avi using this guide and i got en error while opening the hardsubed file altough i thought i had installed codecs
it says
error in FrameOpen - conversion to RGB24 not available
check that u have required codec installed
would be nice if someone could recommend what to do

binky

Postby binky » Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 pm

dierkaes wrote:hi i wanted to rip subs from an avi using this guide and i got en error while opening the hardsubed file altough i thought i had installed codecs
it says
error in FrameOpen - conversion to RGB24 not available
check that u have required codec installed
would be nice if someone could recommend what to do

never ran into this problem before so i suggest you might try to re-encode the file as divx and see if it works...(i tend to mostly use my own raws when using this guide so i hardly get any weird messages from avisubdetector)

binky

Postby binky » Sun May 14, 2006 2:26 pm

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:as you say, the translators must go through lost of work if we do it this way, don't they
because at least they have to do 4 steps to get one line done: open the bmp pic in Paints/Microsoft picture manager/...(this may take some time for the pic to appear, not that much but it can drag the process), close the pic, go back to notepad and type in the translation, and then close the pic and then open another one.
is there any way you click one of those and there is a 'next' button for you chose the next pic?
obviously there's no software did such, so i want to know how you gourp up the individuall bmp together in a clump?

you also say each bmp file will correspond to each line of timing in the file, so do we have to fill in something (random thing) to match with its corresponded timing? 'cause if we don't, another translated line after that will match with its uncorresponded timing and so are the following lines which cause the timing be off. won't it?

regard that question, your answer is 1, right?

sorry for asking so many question :-(

ah, about the excel file, what i mean is ask you for one with translation, not just a black excel file :mrgreen:

I do not have an excel file for you to test with. You can easily create your own.

As to the bmp file, windows xp have the fax and picture viewer program (i think that's the name) that let you step to the next image....also if you read the guide, you will see that avi sub detector does generate up some really big images.....click on those and you will see that they clump a group of pix together...so for like 45 minute episode...it might have anywhere between 5-10 giant bmp files...just open up the subpic folder and sort by size and open the largetst bmp file and you will see what i am talking about....therefore you don't have to open up the 400-700 bmp pix individually....if you are not using xp..you might want to check out this program..it might work for you... http://www.irfanview.com/

and my answer would be 1 for the one dealing with the hey question....

this method only get you 90% there...after that you will have to watch the episode with the subs you put in and catch the rest of missing subs or make the appropriate fix.....fansubbing is a long and tedious process...so yes..you can easily spend hours and hours (or even days) on just one episodes

KT1122

Postby KT1122 » Wed May 17, 2006 4:32 pm

binky,

I followed exactly like you instructed. My problem is when I click on the "Add AVIs" button, even though the file is opened, I can't view the movie file to adjust the crop settings in step 15 like yours is showing (although the file is added, the software doesn't detect the file). Do you know why that is the case? Am I missing something?

by the way, my file is indeed in AVI format :unsure:

Thanks for your help!

binky

Postby binky » Wed May 17, 2006 5:42 pm

so when you scroll thru the movie...what do u see?
just a blank screen?
Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu

KT1122

Postby KT1122 » Wed May 17, 2006 6:40 pm

yes, just a white screen :cry:

binky

Postby binky » Wed May 17, 2006 7:57 pm

hmmm...i would try another avi file...and see if u still get the same result...
not sure why you are just seeing a white screen...

you might want to google this problem and see if other people are experiencing it...

KT1122

Postby KT1122 » Thu May 18, 2006 1:21 am

yeah .. I tried it w/ many avi files .. but still no luck. :( .. I wonder if I'm missing some kind of source code?? ..

Anyways, thanks so much for taking your time to reply :)

KT

binky

Postby binky » Thu May 18, 2006 4:10 pm

are you able to watch the avi file thru media player?
maybe you don't have the right codec for that avi file...or maybe avisubdetector is trying to load up the wrong codec for that avi file...kinda weird that all your avi file don't work though

blakmetalik

Postby blakmetalik » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am

Just would like to add that I'm experiencing the same thing as KT. I click 'Play' but i just see a white screen. At any rate, I'm trying to search for a solution. If I find it, I'll post it.

blakmetalik

Postby blakmetalik » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:17 am

I only had cccp (Combined Community Codec Pack) installed for my codecs when I was getting the white blank screen. A few minutes ago I installed the divx and xvid codecs, and afterwards I was able to see the video play in AviSubDetector v.0.6.0.7.

soysuva

Re: [Tutorial] Ripping Timing & Subs From AVI (SubDetect

Postby soysuva » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:07 pm

binky wrote:How to Rip the Timing and English Subtitles from an AVI file using AVI SubDetector

Download the guide here.

I have updated the guide to use an episode of State of Divinity as the example.
All content within the guide should be the same, the images that were referring to the other fansub group have been replaced with this WXFS fansubbed episode of State of Divinity.

Wow, this really helped me. Thanks!! I try learning this a long time ago by someone on viikii, but that person didn't do much help to give me more details. I'm glad you made this tutorial and thank you! :D :wub:
:wub: Butterfly Lovers 2007 Drama & The Great King Sejong 2008 :wub:
Visit me on: Viikii

Kanzakii

Postby Kanzakii » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm

I have a problem. I do everything right to instructions but when I open TEXT folder there is a icon with the name of conversed drama and when I open it, it's empty... What do I wrong?

bun-ichi

Postby bun-ichi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:24 am

wow...there is somany things to do if u want to subs something :O ...i love to learn how to sub a video..thanks for the guide..i will learn very hard.. :salut: if i have a free time..

RetroHelix

Postby RetroHelix » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I want to let everyone know about the various other solutions for the task of ripping hardsubs and I think this is the right place to do so.
Besides AviSubDetector I triedSubRip and esrXP as well as VideoSubFinder. All programs are doing their job fine but its hard or too time consuming to configure/reconfigure them. The program that did the best job was clearly VideoSubFinder so I want to encourage everyone to give it a try. Even if the video is not 'OCRable' it will get at least the timing without trouble.
And here are some guides for ripping the timing or subs from a video:
http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index ... entry59398
http://redonesubs.blogspot.de/p/extract ... dsubs.html
http://jumonjigiri.blogspot.de/p/extrac ... dsubs.html

zenith777

Postby zenith777 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:43 am

RetroHelix wrote:I want to let everyone know about the various other solutions for the task of ripping hardsubs and I think this is the right place to do so.
Besides AviSubDetector I triedSubRip and esrXP as well as VideoSubFinder. All programs are doing their job fine but its hard or too time consuming to configure/reconfigure them. The program that did the best job was clearly VideoSubFinder so I want to encourage everyone to give it a try. Even if the video is not 'OCRable' it will get at least the timing without trouble.
And here are some guides for ripping the timing or subs from a video:
http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index ... entry59398
http://redonesubs.blogspot.de/p/extract ... dsubs.html
http://jumonjigiri.blogspot.de/p/extrac ... dsubs.html

Thank you very much RetroHelix. I tried VideoSubFinder and this really saves me a lot in timing process :salut: :cheers:
Last edited by zenith777 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lainiwaku

Postby lainiwaku » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:29 am

for me videosubfinder won't start anymore since windows 8.1
someone know a newser alternative ? all software listed doeasn"t have been updated for a while