Subtitling Program that can "segment" like Viki si

For questions on the technical aspects about how to fansub. Come on, share those pearls of wisdom!
momotomo

Subtitling Program that can "segment" like Viki si

Postby momotomo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:05 am

I volunteered to do some "segmenting" on the viki site, and found that the way they have it set up is so easy.

So I have some old dramas that I want to add subtitles to - and I am trying to find a subtitle program similar to the viki one, where you can "segment" all the speaking parts first before actually typing in the subtitle.
Maybe this is also called "timing" - but I am not sure.
But the segmenting job chooses the start and stop point of the subtitle as the person speaks (without typing anything in, the time slot is just left empty).
After the project is "segmented" the translator can just hop in and do her job.
Can Aegisub do this kind of "segmenting"?
I've tried other progams and they can't do this, and it makes it very tedious :unsure: :cry:

MeiXin

yes

Postby MeiXin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

They do it's called pre-timing... which is what viki does. You can time in aegisubs without writing anything. They just move the order around.
Traditionally in FS groups people like to translate and then time. But if you watch anything that is timed then translated you will see that the timing needs to be edited again. Some people think this is a waste of time, other like it.

y0ssy

Postby y0ssy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 am

"Segmenting" looks like "masking over the hard-subs" at Viki, which is similar to some software like Subtitle Creator. I think the Chinese subbers tend to use this technique to save time and effort from having to do the proper sub-timing as "translation" is the "key focus".

The thing to note about this technique of subs-masking -- where the translation part must follow whenever the hard-subs appear on screen or else it turns up as "blank" or if it is not "segmented" properly, the hard-subs "sneak up" on the screen. It is not an issue if one is not fussy over the aesthetic sense of the video clip or appearance of the subtitles.

The next thing is that subtitles are not translation per se, though most people tend to think they are the same thing. Speech dialogue often contain colloquial forms whereas written text (i.e. subtitles in this case) may not be able to express some of these speech into words. An example would be onomatopoeia or mimetic words.

Also the "translated part" remain as hard-subs at Viki and cannot be "lifted off" unlike soft-subs where it is more versatile with room for other creative use and language study purposes.

http://support.viki.com/entries/2065958 ... -subtitles
Moojo
suggested this on November 08, 2011 05:08 pm

Download the subtitles!
「I hate the fact that we can't download the subtitles that "WE" have made! if the video gets removed then you can say goodbye to all the hours of hard work! seriously? why isn't there an option to download the subtitles in str format?」

http://support.viki.com/entries/2058612 ... -subtitles
November 23, 2011 08:44 pm.
「You can't download it.

Viki isn't meant for getting a subtitle text file but only to watch the dramas through streaming here. I think especially because viki has many licences and agreement with content owners, they can't make the .txt file available or it'll be like an incentive to go watch videos downloaded illegally and would endanger all the agreements.
So viki is only for streaming use, there's no .txt file relating to the subs」