sawan biang

Discuss about other asian culture here.
morserachel

sawan biang

Post by morserachel » Dec 2nd, '08, 06:50

stars: Ken Theradeth Wongpuapon
Anne Thongprasom

Also known as Paradise Diversion.

When I first watched this drama, I was very disturbed with the story line. A story of the male protagonist raping the female protagonist and ended with them being together is normally not my cup of tea. But despite the storyline I was fascinated by Ken's acting and I find his acting all the more amazing considering I first saw him in Oum Ruk as the dorky, goofy metrosexual modern man. A mix of man and child. But as Kawee in SB, his character is completely different. He gives a whole new meaning to the word 'bad'! A character which is totally different from his role in Oum ruk and the darkness of the character fascinates and repels at the same time.

After giving it some thought I realise that the reason why the story disturbed me so much was because I'm watching it with my westernised perception of women, equality, justice, violence etc. I should have watch it as a Thai lakorn immersed in its own culture and philosophy of life. Once I shift my perception then I realised that the story actually make sense. This is not a story about rape but a story of a man lost in the wilderness and couldn't find his way back to the right path. He was able to finally do so because he loves a woman. To understand the story, first we must understand basic Buddhist philosophy that is 'all equates naught, naught equates all'. It basically means that material wealth has the tendency to breed negative feelings and the more things we acquire the less happy we are and by disposing of all that is negative associated with material wealth we will achieve nirwana. Bearing that in mind, SB philosophical take on love works on the same premise ie 'all equates naught, naught equates all'.

In SB Ken played a character who is unable to love because of his past. Born into a rich family, material wealth was all he had and he grew up without love and thus does not know what love entails. Because of the power that wealth offered him, he takes without giving and if need arises, by force. There is only coldness in him and anger that he harbours against his father for all the wrongs he thinks his father has done to him. Like the saying 'all equates naught' wealth does not bring him any happiness. Then he met Narin, his stepmother's sister and the only person who will stand up to him. His dispute with his stepmother caused him to torture Narin, physically and mentally, to get even with his stepmother. As a result of his sexual attacks Narin became pregnant. Caught between her sister and Kawee she realised that she had to leave the house. She decided that for her to have the baby in peace she had to avoid all of them. When Kawee found out that Narin was carrying their child he starts to change and look for her. (Actually he had started developing feelings for her long before this except that he was in self denial mode) He found her but she wouldn't have anything to do with him and so for the next 7-8 months he tried to win her heart.

I kept asking myself if there were no rape scenes resulting in the conception of the baby, would the story still work. The conclusion would be it wouldn't have work because the conception of the baby is central to the story of a new beginning for the both of them. The life conceived symbolises that a fresh start is possible for the both of them but especially for Kawee in that he is finally able to understand what is love and therefore there is hope for him to be with Narin and for Narin the new life growing within her symbolises that despite her hatred for Kawee a part of him is within her and that her love for her baby indicates that she can forgive him (even though they both were not aware at that time the significance of this.) She puts him through hell but he perseveres for he is starting to understand what love is. Slowly one by one he discarded every negative desire/feeling he had. (naught equates all) and in the finale he discarded his pride and knelt before her and said that he has nothing to offer except his sincerity in wanting to look after her and the baby, after having given up all his wealth earlier. His ultimate submission to her and the love he has for her is complete and she is finally able to forgive him. Kawee in giving up everything that is not important has finally gained all that is important, the love of the woman he loves and his son. All equates naught, naught equates all.

The chemistry between the two leads is explosive. From the pre-rape scenes to the tender love scenes the sizzling never stopped. Love them in Oum Ruk and love them here. You can sensed that they are both very comfortable with each other. That familiarity and understanding allows them to produce explosive feelings be it of hate or love. Ken is wonderful here displaying the kind of feelings that I would not have associated with him from watching Oum Ruk. The anger is so real, the role of the sexual predator is perfect and finally the role of a man in love is to die for. You go, Ken.
Anne is just as good.

Seen in that light I can understand the story but I'm still in two minds whether it is acceptable.
Last edited by morserachel on May 15th, '09, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.

liebe911

Post by liebe911 » Feb 4th, '09, 07:29

I kept asking myself if there were no rape scenes resulting in the conception of the baby, would the story still work

Loved your thoughts