[REQ] Taira no Kiyomori

For new fansub groups and old fansub groups looking for additional help.
jpb123

[REQ] Taira no Kiyomori

Postby jpb123 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi everyone! Not sure if this is where I should posting this!

I'm interested in doing english subs for the 2012 taiga drama. Is there anyone who has a good grasp of both Japanese and English who'd be willing to give me a hand. I'm pretty new to fansubbing, so I'd be glad for some help. Thanks! :wub:

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [REQ] Taira no Kiyomori

Postby Keiko1981 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:53 pm

jpb123 wrote:Hi everyone! Not sure if this is where I should posting this!

I'm interested in doing english subs for the 2012 taiga drama. Is there anyone who has a good grasp of both Japanese and English who'd be willing to give me a hand. I'm pretty new to fansubbing, so I'd be glad for some help. Thanks! :wub:

You could wait a while, maybe happen the TVrips with English subs will be posts here (as have been done with Gou and other taiga dramas).
Then you can transcribe the subs from the TV rips and time so they match the RAW uploaded here.
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Ashita no Yakusoku, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

Avallac'h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Avallac'h » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:00 am

Agree with Keiko
Why need to translate what will be necessarily translated?
It's such a huge project!
I appreciate you wish. But, as the practice shows, no one of such projects has not been finished yet.
2010 Ryoma Den - http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_81813.htm
After two year stalled at ep42. Looks like translators just got tired of this project or do not have free time now.
2011 Gou - http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_92078.htm
Very good subs by Liubeibei. But he vanished without a word after episode 15. I hope he's OK.
In no event, I do not dissuade you.
But I think that to spend a couple of hours per week for transcribing much easier than to translate from scratch.
Looking for volunteers, who want to transcribe subtitles for some old dramas. (Yonigeya Honpo, Sweet Home and others)
More details here.
My uploads.
Crowdfunding project to get old doramas

TenguKing

Postby TenguKing » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 am

I wanted to disagree with Avallac'h, but then I checked my HD and he is sadly right...

izumisano

Postby izumisano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 am

The translator of Ryomaden hasn't got tired of the this project (though it IS very tiring) nor has she stopped. It's unfortunate that I have less time now, and it's not really helping having to spend time answering posts like this.

There is a reason why I'm continuing despite the fact that the TV-rips are available and it is so time-consuming. Anyone who has watched both versions will understand the difference in the translations. The TV rips do well to tell the story but I would like to try and bring out a bit more of the subtleties, history and meaning of the script if I can. I'm also glad that there have been people who have offered to help instead of sit and complain, but most of all, I'm grateful for those who are still waiting for this so patiently because they're the very people I'm doing this for.

Having said that, I can see where Avallac'h is coming from. He is after all recruiting for transcribers, but he is right. Of course transcribing takes much less time than translating from scratch, but it really depends on why you want to do this, jpb123. If you just want a quick story in English, then the tv-rips will be out in a matter of months and you don't even need transciptions, let alone subs. Each has their own pros and cons, and I don't think one is better than the other.

I'm very lucky to have Luna time and make the subs. (She's a blessiing.) But it will be really hard nonetheless, if you're translating alone. It gets very tiring both physically and mentally after 3 or 4 months non-stop, and you may start feeling you're not having much of a life after half a year or more. It may be easier for you if you know Japanese well, but watch out. Taira's using much of the same production team as Ryomaden, which means there will probably be all sorts of dialect since they're big on going for a sense of reality.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You just need to be prepared. If you still want to do it, then by all means go for it !! I am a mother with kids, a job and no helper. If I can last upto ep42, so can you. I've got 6 more episodes to go and hell, I'm not going to stop now. But I do have a new found respect for all fan-sub translators and subbers. Hats off to you guys!
Last edited by izumisano on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna14

Postby Luna14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes, fansubbing a Taiga drama is a lot of work, and we knew that before starting
with the Ryomaden project. But, we just took one episode at the time and still doing so.
Despite all the hardship, I don’t regret it one bit, since it’s a wonderful fulfilling experience. And if I can do it, so can others.

I’m very grateful for the Japanese subs, they helped me a lot since I DON’T SPEAK Japanese. Therefore, I have to be extra careful and spend extra-time when working in a sub, hoping every time I don’t make a fool of myself. Or be ready to always quick point out when a line skipped translation. Also, I use the Japanese subs timing as guide, but I work on my own timing.

And I admire Izumisano’s translation and research work, therefore, I try to include as much as possible of the original translation text into the subs. That is in no way a requirement, if I were just thinking of providing subs for the masses as soon as possible.
Also, very grateful to whoever posted a manual of the subtitle program Aegisub,
since this is my first time participating in a fansub project and using a subtitle program.

D-addicts is a free forum and members are encourage to participate in every way
they can according to their talents, motivation and time constrain, but fansubbing is not just about providing subs. We are not machines.
Fansubbing is an art that should just as well be copyrighted and protected.
And misinforming members with possible false rumors is just
another way of discouragement and censorship.

Also, taking this opportunity for thanking the true supporters of the Ryomaden
fansub project. Sorry for the delay, but only we KNOW the status of this project
and we are not quitting.

@jpb123, first of all, thank you for even thinking of translating a Taiga drama.
And good luck to you if you decide to take on this project.
Fansubbing a Taiga drama is a challenge, but the success achieved so far in our Ryomaden project is because Izumisano is a great team leader. I’m quite resourceful and independent myself, but despite my disadvantages, not once did I felt discouraged. Quite the opposite, always there to help if I ever needed it. So keep that in mind, if you do find a partner.

galaontheroad

Postby galaontheroad » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm also very interested in this drama. It seems normal that long dramas fears people to translate them, nevertheless it's quite a ridiculous situation that dramas like Saka no ue no kumo have no translation yet whereas many adolescent poor stories have been being translated for years. But, think it's the way the world goes...

And I would like to ask a question: what is this TV rip that you are talking about? That means there is a translation of Ryomaden that goes till episode 48? If so, where can we get it? Thanks :)

ah, and if someone wants any help to time from english please feel free to contact me. Sure I want to help, especially about projects like Ryomaden, Taira no Kiyomori and Saka no ue no kumo.

mifune47

Postby mifune47 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 pm

First and foremost, thank you to izumisano and luna14 for all of the great work on Ryomaden. There is a TV rip with subtitles for episodes 43 to the end but the video quality is less than the earlier episodes. If it would help I have started transcribing the subs from these episodes and if they would provide a starting point for izumisano I will provide them. Just let me know. I read earlier that this might help.

Luna14

Postby Luna14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

mifune47 wrote:First and foremost, thank you to izumisano and luna14 for all of the great work on Ryomaden. There is a TV rip with subtitles for episodes 43 to the end but the video quality is less than the earlier episodes. If it would help I have started transcribing the subs from these episodes and if they would provide a starting point for izumisano I will provide them. Just let me know. I read earlier that this might help.

Thank you so much for offering your help, but please read both our comments correctly.
We don't use or need English transcript extracted from TV Rip or DVD rip. Yes, we may use them as reference, but these TV rip contain many summarized or untranslated lines.

Izumisano needed help translating from Chinese or Japanese or doing research since
we are fansubbing this project not copying it.

This is the method we both like to work. As for translations for ep. 43 is almost finished.
But, by all means keep working on your subs transcription and feel free to share them.
But, do NOT post them in our Fansub thread because that is disrespectful. Nor do we want to get in trouble with the law for this.

Official DVD, TV-Rip and pirate versions have been around for quite some time and in no way are we discouraging people for using or enjoying them.

We only worry about completing our Ryomaden fansub project.

musashi22

Postby musashi22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Keep up the good work izumisano and Luna14. Your work is much appreciated. The quality and presentation of your english subtitles is truly amazing and worth waiting for.

Return to “Fansub Recruitment”