Why Japanese tv stations only Terrestrial television?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
gregor

Why Japanese tv stations only Terrestrial television?

Post by gregor » Jul 13th, '09, 21:47

Japan have a lot of TV channels like TV asahi, Fuji TV, TBS, TV kanagawa, Tokai tv, TV tokyo. But all of those big channels are Terrestrial only. That means you can only receive the specific channel ehwn you are in the coverage area of the station. For example: you are in sapporo of in Osaka and you want to watch TV tokyo, it is not possible because you are not in Tokyo, and also with Fuji tv, you cant receive it in Tokyo.

Can somebody tell me why are this channels like TV tokyo and Fuji TV broadcast in terrestrial only? Why this Japanese stations don't broadcast by satellite so people can receive this channels in whole of the country and Asia.

Why is it not possible to watch TV tokyo or fuji when you are in Okinawa or Sapporo? And why are this big channels not on satellite?

Can anyone please give an answer on my questions please?
Last edited by gregor on Jul 13th, '09, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 13th, '09, 22:25

Isn't it because most Japanese have moved on to cable TV? I've read in several places that cable TV, pay TV, etc. are the cause for the overall drop in terrestrial TV ratings.

--- groink

Ladymercury

Re: Why Japanese tv stations only Terrestrial television?

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '09, 23:22

gregor wrote:Japan have a lot of TV channels like TV asahi, Fuji TV, TBS, TV kanagawa, Tokai tv, TV tokyo. But all of those big channels are Terrestrial only. That means you can only receive the specific channel ehwn you are in the coverage area of the station. For example: you are in sapporo of in Osaka and you want to watch TV tokyo, it is not possible because you are not in Tokyo, and also with Fuji tv, you cant receive it in Tokyo.

Can somebody tell me why are this channels like TV tokyo and Fuji TV broadcast in terrestrial only? Why this Japanese stations don't broadcast by satellite so people can receive this channels in whole of the country and Asia.

Why is it not possible to watch TV tokyo or fuji when you are in Okinawa or Sapporo? And why are this big channels not on satellite?

Can anyone please give an answer on my questions please?
Er,

Actually they're syndicated stations.

TV Tokyo can be watched in Kansai, it's TV Osaka/TV Kyoto/Etc
FujiTV is actually KansaiTV
TV Asahi is actually ABC
TBS is actually MBS
NTV is actually Yomiuri.

So you may not get FujiTV in like Hokkaido, but you'll get their syndicate that airs their shows, but also their own local programming.

Much like how syndicated television works here in America.

Also, the top 5 have satellite channels as well, IIRC. I know Fuji has BS Fuji.

Just look at the top five like our ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW.

groink

Re: Why Japanese tv stations only Terrestrial television?

Post by groink » Jul 14th, '09, 00:02

Ladymercury wrote:Actually they're syndicated stations.

TV Tokyo can be watched in Kansai, it's TV Osaka/TV Kyoto/Etc
FujiTV is actually KansaiTV
TV Asahi is actually ABC
TBS is actually MBS
NTV is actually Yomiuri.
Here's something I've always wondered... Why do the affiliates like, for example, YTV have separate web sites, and market certain dramas on these sites as if they were available only on YTV and not NTV? Some people who edit DramaWiki are under the impression that, for example, KTV and FujiTV are completely separate entities, and therefore categorize the dramas as such. My idea was to stick with just the major TV networks as categories, and have the others outside of the Kanto region categorized using the Kanto network names (KTV=FujiTV, YTV=NTV, MBS=TBS, etc.)

--- groink

feezee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by feezee » Jul 14th, '09, 00:12

you can watch Asahi, TBS, Fuji, tv tokyo online
crap quality but better then nothing and its free
http://xorsyst.com/japan/watch-japanese-tv-online/

if you want better quality u can pay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SK ... !_channels

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 14th, '09, 01:15

But you can watch Nippon TV, TBS, Fuji, TV Asahi, TV Tokyo and NHK on Freshverse. It is low quality but not crappy and it is free.

Feisty_Warrior

Post by Feisty_Warrior » Jul 14th, '09, 01:21

feezee wrote:you can watch Asahi, TBS, Fuji, tv tokyo online
crap quality but better then nothing and its free
http://xorsyst.com/japan/watch-japanese-tv-online/

if you want better quality u can pay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SK ... !_channels
definitely better esp in the case of tv tokyo where most of my favorite animes are aired. nice program! :cheers:

noobee

Post by noobee » Jul 14th, '09, 04:51

i think its because there are also japanese dialects like kansaiben etc
also the news, weather report (sometimes they are showing a real time weather condition)