Have a quesiton about watching Japanese TV from overseas? Ask here!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
kdjtachi65

Re: Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas

Postby kdjtachi65 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:46 pm

WorldTV just published a corrected update (go here to get it) and after a few hours testing I can report a slight improvement in picture quality (live and playback), and a major improvement in channel change speed; it's now nearly instantaneous. I almost suspect this app is using the same servers as New Home.

If the app developer increases the playback period from five to seven days, it'll be a serious contender in the android IPTV space.

nihonpoi

Postby nihonpoi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 pm

kdjtachi65 wrote:WorldTV just published a corrected update (go here to get it) and after a few hours testing I can report a slight improvement in picture quality (live and playback), and a major improvement in channel change speed; it's now nearly instantaneous. I almost suspect this app is using the same servers as New Home.

If the app developer increases the playback period from five to seven days, it'll be a serious contender in the android IPTV space.

Color me jealous - I was using WorldTV for a few days, and then my login for my 1 year subscription mysteriously stopped working. Hajime is looking into it, but no resolution yet. (And yes, I have the 2.02 update.)

I tried the New Home trial today on our android 4.4 box. There is some sort of decoding/buffering problem; when we watch live tv, it keeps looping backward by a minute for every two minutes of playback. The 7 day playback feature, oddly, works just fine - I was able to watch ベイマックス with the wife without issues.

I was using JPHD until my windows NUC got co-opted by the kids as a League of Legends gaming unit :cry: It's a great service - high quality playback, no audio/video sync issues. I may end up going back to it at some point if my WorldTV issues can't be resolved.

IPTV - love the convenience of the service, and the portability. Did NOT love having to hop between servers to get a quality broadcast.

PoxX

Postby PoxX » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:50 am

I have been using WorldTV too. And it worked OK for a while with the new version, until I made a factory reset and installed the new version again.
Then I somehow locked my account with the new update. Hajime had to reset my account to get it going with the old version again.
The app gave me an ロギンできません, or similar error message.

And now I'm getting the same problem with the 2.02 version too. Hajime did another reset yesterday, but I still couldn't login.
Have to try it again when I get home and see if it works with the new version.

As I said, the previous "new" version did actually work a couple of times, and the channel change was lightning fast here in northern europe. So I really hope it works.
Starting to think if it has something to do with getting different MAC-address with wireless / ethernet and it gets confused when I'm using ethernet.
Other Apps I've tried doesn't seem to like ethernet and it thinks I'm disconnected if I'm not using wireless. So....don't know. Weird problem.

I have an MXQ Pro 4k android 5.1.1 box if anyone else have the same box and problem with WorldTV.

//PoxX

nihonpoi

Postby nihonpoi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:11 am

Well PoxX, glad to hear it's not just me. I still can't log in to World TV today. I've been using a wired Ethernet connection exclusively; I may switch to wifi and see it it makes a difference.

I tried Live HD on the same box today. Total failure - no audio whatsoever. So far, IPTV is looking like the best option.

UPDATE - it appears live hd muted my system volume for some reason. False alarm there. Jimmy also gave me a test account for World TV, and it's working for the time being...

sarabjeet

Postby sarabjeet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm

i recently took a shot @ this IPTV seller, if anyone else has good bad experience from this seller please let me know. So Far the IPTV is running flawless.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/J ... 65560.html

djandy76

Postby djandy76 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Just started the iSakura trial and immediately noticed two things:

1. The visual quality seems very good. In my opinion better overall than New Home, with fewer artifacts during high-motion scenes.
2. The audio appears to be mono. I rechecked the settings on my M8S to see if the APK altered anything, but other apps output stereo just fine.

On a side note, I was worried about the lack of NHK-E at first, but the corresponding Kansai channel is present so no loss overall, I suppose.

In the end though, I think the mono sound would annoy me after a while, so will probably opt for New Home.

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 am

When I tested last night, I thought that there was a channel that was in stereo, but it may have just had some reverb on it making it sound more like stereo. The video quality is excellent, as is the channel selection (so I will probably subscribe for a month and see what happens). The only annoyance is that playback starts late on the Kansai, BS and cable channels. It also starts very late on Tokyo MX. I am not sure of why so many of these services seem to have this problem. iHome was perfect for this!

djandy76 wrote:Just started the iSakura trial and immediately noticed two things:

1. The visual quality seems very good. In my opinion better overall than New Home, with fewer artifacts during high-motion scenes.
2. The audio appears to be mono. I rechecked the settings on my M8S to see if the APK altered anything, but other apps output stereo just fine.

On a side note, I was worried about the lack of NHK-E at first, but the corresponding Kansai channel is present so no loss overall, I suppose.

In the end though, I think the mono sound would annoy me after a while, so will probably opt for New Home.

statrosa

Postby statrosa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 pm

jsternbe wrote:When I tested last night, I thought that there was a channel that was in stereo, but it may have just had some reverb on it making it sound more like stereo. The video quality is excellent, as is the channel selection (so I will probably subscribe for a month and see what happens). The only annoyance is that playback starts late on the Kansai, BS and cable channels. It also starts very late on Tokyo MX. I am not sure of why so many of these services seem to have this problem. iHome was perfect for this!

djandy76 wrote:Just started the iSakura trial and immediately noticed two things:

I can concur what jstebe and djandy76 just said. Audio is sometimes late which is annoying with music, but I love the menu (video preview) the whole interface and speed. Oh yes the video quality is very nice also. One of the better ones out there.

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:52 am

Tokyo MX is in stereo on iSakura. I am not sure of which other channels might be.

Nielle

Postby Nielle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:11 pm

I try iSakura and there is NHK Education. It work quite well.
But funny thing, this channel doesn't have the 7 days records.
Also the live is synchronized with our local time. So here in Europa is 6pm, live show the 6 pm japanese program. Can't watch a later one.
Maybe if I change the hour of my box to Japan, it will change.
The sound is a bit weak and weird, but it's still fine and the Ui is interesting too. I'm quite enjoying iSakura.

I could try Uchi too. Work quite good (but the record start 5 mn before the program... that 's a bit annoying..)

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:53 am

Several new channels showed up on iSakura. There is now Sun TV, and most importantly there is Family Gekijou and Channel NECO. Both of these are great for old dramas. Channel NECO was previously only available on the original iHome. It also looks like NHK Eテレ has changed to the Kanto version instead of the Kansai version.

sbm888

Postby sbm888 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:43 pm

hi all, just testing isakura on my tablet. liking it so far, is there a way to fast forward?

I'm guessing touch screen might not have the option? maybe need to buy a Bluetooth remote and sync up?
Last edited by sbm888 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan

Postby Ivan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you for all your information. This forum is very useful.

I used it to switch from jpplayer to ihome a few years ago and now with ihome not working anymore, i would like to order the box from Jimmy but canot decide between New Home and iSakura.

I read earlier that Sakura picture quality is better but that New home has better sound quaity

Jimmy prefers iSakura

What has been your experience? It's impossible to use the ihome box i bought from Mark via aliexpress? So i throw that away?

Thanks

djandy76

Postby djandy76 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

@Ivan

It certainly seems like the people behind iSakura are working hard to improve their service (at least in terms of number of channels and the overall quality of the picture). If they turn their attention to the audio, and make every channel output in stereo, I'd say it would be the clear winner between itself and New Home.

As for the old iHome Linux box, for now it remains virtually useless. It looks very unlikely that the people behind the service are going to suddenly re-appear, and even if they did, there are enough people who had time left on their subscription that they'd probably have to offer something for free, which again seems pretty unlikely. Personally, I have no intention of throwing the unit away, but have instead relegated it to a drawer in the back room in the event it becomes usable again one day.

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:12 am

djandy76 wrote:@Ivan

It certainly seems like the people behind iSakura are working hard to improve their service (at least in terms of number of channels and the overall quality of the picture). If they turn their attention to the audio, and make every channel output in stereo, I'd say it would be the clear winner between itself and New Home.

As for the old iHome Linux box, for now it remains virtually useless. It looks very unlikely that the people behind the service are going to suddenly re-appear, and even if they did, there are enough people who had time left on their subscription that they'd probably have to offer something for free, which again seems pretty unlikely. Personally, I have no intention of throwing the unit away, but have instead relegated it to a drawer in the back room in the event it becomes usable again one day.

So far all of the channels that I have tested are in stereo when the actual program is in stereo. The volume is inconsistent between channels, though. Tokyo MX is LOUD! Really the only thing I wish they would fix for iSakura is that cable and BS channels start recording a few seconds late. For some reason I find missing the first couple of seconds to be really annoying. Fortunately, the terrestrial channels all seem to record at the right time.

djandy76

Postby djandy76 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:02 am

According to Jimmy, the iSakura provider has switched to a different audio encoder (AAC-LC 64 to HE-AAC v2). My trial has expired, so I was wondering if anyone still using it could tell me if the channels output in stereo now. I'm particularly interested in NHK-E, TBS, Fuji and N-TV. Thanks!

mikao

Postby mikao » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:41 pm

I do not know if everyone has seen but there is a comparison table on japannettv :
https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?r ... ation_id=8
:roll

risu

Postby risu » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:54 pm

mikao wrote:I do not know if everyone has seen but there is a comparison table on japannettv :
https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?r ... ation_id=8
:roll

Thanks, i didn't notice !
This reseller gives accurate information, up-to-date and regularly !

kasukabe

Postby kasukabe » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:38 am

Testing iSakura now.
It's awesome. Good Picture quality, a lot of channels and (most important) no stuttering in picture, at least on the Kanto/Kansai channels!
I'll give it a try when Japan IPTV APK is expired.

MisoraHibari

Postby MisoraHibari » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:34 am

djandy76 wrote:According to Jimmy, the iSakura provider has switched to a different audio encoder (AAC-LC 64 to HE-AAC v2). My trial has expired, so I was wondering if anyone still using it could tell me if the channels output in stereo now. I'm particularly interested in NHK-E, TBS, Fuji and N-TV. Thanks!

Yes almost all channels output is in stereo now. Switching between channels is very fast. Both live and replay don't buffer at all. Very impressive. I think iSakura is the best option for the moment. Picture is very good in high action scene, like ihome2, but quality is better than ihome2, it's almost like JPHD with most channels and without the JPHD issues.

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 am

MisoraHibari wrote:
djandy76 wrote:According to Jimmy, the iSakura provider has switched to a different audio encoder (AAC-LC 64 to HE-AAC v2). My trial has expired, so I was wondering if anyone still using it could tell me if the channels output in stereo now. I'm particularly interested in NHK-E, TBS, Fuji and N-TV. Thanks!

Yes almost all channels output is in stereo now. Switching between channels is very fast. Both live and replay don't buffer at all. Very impressive. I think iSakura is the best option for the moment. Picture is very good in high action scene, like ihome2, but quality is better than ihome2, it's almost like JPHD with most channels and without the JPHD issues.

I agree. I think iSakura is very good. I will have to knock down some points for the navigation, though. Has anyone been able to figure out if there is a way to page down through the playback recordings?

MisoraHibari

Postby MisoraHibari » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 am

supabakakun wrote:
MisoraHibari wrote:

I agree. I think iSakura is very good. I will have to knock down some points for the navigation, though. Has anyone been able to figure out if there is a way to page down through the playback recordings?

Do you mean display the channel list on the screen through live or playback recordings? Can do this by using the list button of the tv box remote.

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 pm

I am thinking about iSakura since everyone here is praising it so much. I do not have any android device whatsoever though. Is lashing out $350 going to be the best decision I can make right now? What are some other options out there? I am only interested in watching the Japanese TV Live. Someone help me out on what works best for them?

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:18 am

MisoraHibari wrote:
supabakakun wrote:
MisoraHibari wrote:

Do you mean display the channel list on the screen through live or playback recordings? Can do this by using the list button of the tv box remote.

My remote doesn't have a list button :-( I guess I have to stroll through the listings.

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:22 am

LoganVirusX wrote:I am thinking about iSakura since everyone here is praising it so much. I do not have any android device whatsoever though. Is lashing out $350 going to be the best decision I can make right now? What are some other options out there? I am only interested in watching the Japanese TV Live. Someone help me out on what works best for them?

I am guessing you are looking at the X2 model + iSakura. The Android Box is cheaper here:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/X2-Andro ... 46684.html

That will get the price for iSakura and Android box under $300.

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 pm

supabakakun wrote:
LoganVirusX wrote:I am thinking about iSakura since everyone here is praising it so much. I do not have any android device whatsoever though. Is lashing out $350 going to be the best decision I can make right now? What are some other options out there? I am only interested in watching the Japanese TV Live. Someone help me out on what works best for them?

I am guessing you are looking at the X2 model + iSakura. The Android Box is cheaper here:

oh wow! I really appreciate this! Thank you so much! It's like you knew exactly what I was looking for! :cheers:

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:04 am

LoganVirusX wrote:
supabakakun wrote:

oh wow! I really appreciate this! Thank you so much! It's like you knew exactly what I was looking for! :cheers:

So I just ordered the box and I bought the DPS shipping. Hope the box is worth it! I wonder why Japan net TV charges a lot more for the box bundle with iSakura seems fishy to me..

mikao

Postby mikao » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:25 pm

LoganVirusX wrote:
LoganVirusX wrote:
supabakakun wrote:

So I just ordered the box and I bought the DPS shipping. Hope the box is worth it! I wonder why Japan net TV charges a lot more for the box bundle with iSakura seems fishy to me..

they also sell the android box at US $ 108 price
https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?r ... uct_id=112
From what I read on the opinions of the x2 box, it seems fragile and quickly breaks down, hope this will not often be the case because I bought one too and it works fine for me since 2 days now!

risu

Postby risu » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Get a Tronsmart Android box to have something stable and regularly updated.

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm really hoping this X2 can get the job done. So two days so far and no issues? Where could I find the tronsmart for a good deal perhaps?

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:04 am

LoganVirusX wrote:I'm really hoping this X2 can get the job done. So two days so far and no issues? Where could I find the tronsmart for a good deal perhaps?

The Vega S95 is about $60 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Vega-S9 ... rt+android

Potatoo

Postby Potatoo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:38 am

Does anyone else have a problem with WorldTV where the video seems to kind of move up and down every second or so? It only happens on NHK, NTV, FUJI and TBS. Its not really noticeable unless there's text on the screen. Just wondering if its a problem with the service or my device. Thanks.

zeo

Postby zeo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:07 pm

Checked out the X2 specs and the price is great. I'm impressed how cheap it is. The only thing I'm slightly concerned with is its quad core chip. It uses a A7 core ARM chip. My experience with the A7 core has been with dual core chips, but it wasn't particularly impressive. It struggled to keep up with Android at the time. Then again, that was dual core and on a tablet. This is quad and a meant to be a media box so it doesn't have to deal with battery life. That and since then the Android GUI has been significantly optimized too.

The X8-H Plus has a better cpu and gpu. The X8-H Plus has a quad core A9 core with a Mali 450. Anything CPU heavy will generally run 20%-50% faster on an A9 core, keep in mind this at the same frequency per core. But like I said, all the video is hitting the gpu so that may not be a huge factor in the overall experience and most people are just using the box to watch streaming video.

If you can do it without much trouble, say by skipping coffee or not eating out a few times per month, then go for the Minix. I don't think you'll regret it. But having said that, $35 is really, really cheap. It's almost throwaway cheap.

zeo

Postby zeo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:23 pm

It's amazing what you can find on Wikipedia.

Here's a box that uses the same chip as the Minix x8h-plus and it's a little cheaper. It looks like it has fewer ports if that's an issue for you.

http://www.rikomagic.com/en/product/sho ... id_20.html

kdjtachi65

Postby kdjtachi65 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Potatoo wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with WorldTV where the video seems to kind of move up and down every second or so? It only happens on NHK, NTV, FUJI and TBS. Its not really noticeable unless there's text on the screen. Just wondering if its a problem with the service or my device. Thanks.

Yep, I'm seeing it now that you've pointed it out. It looks like it's shifting vertically by a single pixel, probably an artifact from whatever the developers did to make the streams more responsive.

Over the past few days I've also noticed some channels intermittently "rewinding" to their previous start point when you navigate away and back to them. Ah, growing pains...

MisoraHibari

Postby MisoraHibari » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:23 am

kdjtachi65 wrote:
Potatoo wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with WorldTV where the video seems to kind of move up and down every second or so? It only happens on NHK, NTV, FUJI and TBS. Its not really noticeable unless there's text on the screen. Just wondering if its a problem with the service or my device. Thanks.

Yep, I'm seeing it now that you've pointed it out. It looks like it's shifting vertically by a single pixel, probably an artifact from whatever the developers did to make the streams more responsive.

Over the past few days I've also noticed some channels intermittently "rewinding" to their previous start point when you navigate away and back to them. Ah, growing pains...

I noticed the same up and down screen problem with Newihome too. Both app seems have the same source.

By the way, does anyone else have slow loading issue with IsakuraTV recently? I didn't have any issue at the beginning and everything was ok, but now some shows are missing on the replay, and sometimes the app can't load the channels. Sometimes have some buffering issues on the live channels. Also it takes more time to switch between the channels.

risu

Postby risu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:57 am

MisoraHibari wrote:By the way, does anyone else have slow loading issue with IsakuraTV recently? I didn't have any issue at the beginning and everything was ok, but now some shows are missing on the replay, and sometimes the app can't load the channels. Sometimes have some buffering issues on the live channels. Also it takes more time to switch between the channels.

https://twitter.com/ILoveJapaneseTV

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for informing me about that super cheap deal on the X2 box! I got it in a couple of days ago and instantly couldn't wait to try out iSakura! The app works even better than I thought! I am really happy and this is exactly what I wanted. I saved a total of $150 and this box hasn't let me down yet! I also just learned there is going to be an update for iSakura pretty soon so that should be interesting.

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi all,

Happy this thread is still going as it's the best place I know to discuss these services, really helped me in the past. :D

My Uchi subscription is gonna run out sometime soon, I'm thinking of switching as the picture quality isn't great when the camera pans quickly. iSakura is sounding really great and the sample video by JapanNetTV looks nice. Though the price is double Uchi I think, looks like it could be worth it.

I was just wondering, Uchi starts recording just before a program's time slot which is handy for me to not miss anything, but someone said here iSakura can miss a few seconds off the start or so? I had issues with Hikari starting late, so just wondering if that's still the case?

Thanks for any info.

SoRa

Postby SoRa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 pm

I see that the M8S+ is listed as not compatible for New Home. Does this mean it is also not compatible with iSakura? Should I just get an M8S instead?

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am

iSakura can be off by a few seconds, but they seem to be adjusting things. Most of the channels that I watch are OK. The video quality is the best of the bunch that I have seen, although it can be quirky. They are obviously doing some weird interlacing tricks to keep it looking good with high movement. As a result, straight lines can sometimes look jagged. In the case of standard definition content that has been converted to 1080, it can look absolutely terrible. It usually is OK, though.

renarayne wrote:Hi all,

Happy this thread is still going as it's the best place I know to discuss these services, really helped me in the past. :D

My Uchi subscription is gonna run out sometime soon, I'm thinking of switching as the picture quality isn't great when the camera pans quickly. iSakura is sounding really great and the sample video by JapanNetTV looks nice. Though the price is double Uchi I think, looks like it could be worth it.

I was just wondering, Uchi starts recording just before a program's time slot which is handy for me to not miss anything, but someone said here iSakura can miss a few seconds off the start or so? I had issues with Hikari starting late, so just wondering if that's still the case?

Thanks for any info.

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am

Thank you jsternbe, I really appreciate the informative reply.
I decided to go for the trial to test it out, the picture quality really is great!

Edit: The playback recordings starting a few seconds in really is troublesome as it freezes / stutters briefly and also brings up the play bar. :-( Makes recording a clean start of programs difficult.

This was on MBS channel, first is iSakura and second is Uchi:
http://sendvid.com/vsx5hya7

As you can see, picture quality is vastly improved, I just really hope they move the start time slightly back. Is there a way to contact them and request this for the future update?

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:45 pm

It looks like the Kansai channels are recording a few seconds late again. Hopefully they will try to fix it. I have reported it before, but I am not sure that one person mentioning it as a problem will get anything done. As far as stuttering is concerned, it sometimes happens. I just let it play for about 30 seconds and then rewind to the beginning. I think it is a buffering problem. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

renarayne wrote:Thank you jsternbe, I really appreciate the informative reply.
I decided to go for the trial to test it out, the picture quality really is great!

Edit: The playback recordings starting a few seconds in really is troublesome as it freezes / stutters briefly and also brings up the play bar. :-( Makes recording a clean start of programs difficult.

This was on MBS channel, first is iSakura and second is Uchi:
http://sendvid.com/vsx5hya7

As you can see, picture quality is vastly improved, I just really hope they move the start time slightly back. Is there a way to contact them and request this for the future update?

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:37 pm

jsternbe wrote:It looks like the Kansai channels are recording a few seconds late again. Hopefully they will try to fix it. I have reported it before, but I am not sure that one person mentioning it as a problem will get anything done. As far as stuttering is concerned, it sometimes happens. I just let it play for about 30 seconds and then rewind to the beginning. I think it is a buffering problem. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

Ah, I see. thank you for letting me know this hasn't always been the case.
I mainly watch stuff from the Kansai channels so I hope it'll get fixed again. :-(
If it started a bit sooner then stuttering shouldn't be a problem because it won't have to load in / auto-play a separate video.

When you say report, do you mean to JapanNetTV or to the makers of iSakura? I didn't have much luck Googling for who the makers are to contact them directly.

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:12 pm

I mean to JapanNetTV. iSakura seems to be exclusive to them right now, so maybe Hajime can pass the message along. I personally like the recordings to start about 10-15 seconds before the actual program begins since most shows have commercials at the end anyway.

renarayne wrote:
jsternbe wrote:It looks like the Kansai channels are recording a few seconds late again. Hopefully they will try to fix it. I have reported it before, but I am not sure that one person mentioning it as a problem will get anything done. As far as stuttering is concerned, it sometimes happens. I just let it play for about 30 seconds and then rewind to the beginning. I think it is a buffering problem. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.

Ah, I see. thank you for letting me know this hasn't always been the case.
I mainly watch stuff from the Kansai channels so I hope it'll get fixed again. :-(
If it started a bit sooner then stuttering shouldn't be a problem because it won't have to load in / auto-play a separate video.

When you say report, do you mean to JapanNetTV or to the makers of iSakura? I didn't have much luck Googling for who the makers are to contact them directly.

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 am

Japannetv sent out a survey to people subscribing to iSakura asking what new channels people want and which ones can be be removed. In the comment part of the survey, I asked for the recordings to start earlier.

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Sun May 01, 2016 1:13 am

jsternbe wrote:I mean to JapanNetTV. iSakura seems to be exclusive to them right now, so maybe Hajime can pass the message along. I personally like the recordings to start about 10-15 seconds before the actual program begins since most shows have commercials at the end anyway.

Ooh I see, nevermind then.

I like how Uchi seems to do it, it starts way early and so the end of the program is cut off, but when you play the start of the next recording, it starts a bit back from where it ended, so all the interface hides by the time it gets to the continuation. Makes it easy to do a seamless clean recording (after cutting out the repetition).

But Uchi picture quality gets real bad when there's any action, so iSakura is an improvement.

supabakakun wrote:Japannetv sent out a survey to people subscribing to iSakura asking what new channels people want and which ones can be be removed. In the comment part of the survey, I asked for the recordings to start earlier.

Ah cool, thanks for that, I really hope they do. :cry:

LoganVirusX

Postby LoganVirusX » Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 am

iSakura is still doing ok for me so far but there is ONE issue which I cannot seem to solve. It seems that after like 6-7 hours of watching the same channel on iSakura it just seems to stop and go to the main home menu of the app. How can I stop this from happening? Seems to always happen and I am wondering if it an issue from the app. Also I was able to complete a survey offered to me by iSakura asking me which channels to include or exclude for the next update. I told them no matter what to please not delete the BS Fishing Vision channel. Anyways any word on this update or how I can fix this current issue im having? So far so good in other words though. I do seem to notice a very small sound lag though with iSakura. I was also wondering if someone was experiencing the same thing?

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Mon May 02, 2016 11:53 am

LoganVirusX wrote:iSakura is still doing ok for me so far but there is ONE issue which I cannot seem to solve. It seems that after like 6-7 hours of watching the same channel on iSakura it just seems to stop and go to the main home menu of the app. How can I stop this from happening? Seems to always happen and I am wondering if it an issue from the app. Also I was able to complete a survey offered to me by iSakura asking me which channels to include or exclude for the next update. I told them no matter what to please not delete the BS Fishing Vision channel. Anyways any word on this update or how I can fix this current issue im having? So far so good in other words though. I do seem to notice a very small sound lag though with iSakura. I was also wondering if someone was experiencing the same thing?

I suspect that the iSakura going back to main menu is a "Feature" to prevent server bandwidth being used by people not shutting down after finishing watching.

tandex

Postby tandex » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 am

With iSakura, how do you skip the video ahead?

With the remote for my android box, I can use the right cursor once, but if I hold it or press it several times, it doesn't seem to work. Best to use a mouse?

I'm using a Tronsmart s95 meta.

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Tue May 03, 2016 6:53 pm

tandex wrote:With iSakura, how do you skip the video ahead? With the remote for my android box, I can use the right cursor once, but if I hold it or press it several times, it doesn't seem to work. Best to use a mouse? I'm using a Tronsmart s95 meta.

Using the generic remote that came with my DroidPlayer M8 box I was able to hold down the button to make it move back/forth.
Maybe make sure it's not something simple like the remote batteries getting weak?

riromero2k

Postby riromero2k » Wed May 04, 2016 4:00 am

I'm thinking to get new Amazon Fire TV for Amazon Prime Video, Hulu and Netflix. I see that some members are successfully running WorldTV on an Amazon Fire. Has anyone had success with any of the other APK services like iSakura?

risu

Postby risu » Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 am

Hi all,

it's decided, iHome is dead for me, i have the money (and soon an Android box) to get a new IPTV solution.
As for today, iSakura seems to best. But regarding to the price and the image quality, i consider WorldTV as a good challenger.
I know WorldTV has "only" 5 days replay but my choice will mostly depend on the channels provided.

I look at the differences (https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8) and i'd like your opinion on some channels to know if it's worth having them.
The main watchers will be kids and my wife, so : drama, variety shows, comedies, (young) kids anime, animal documentaries (no movies, no sport, no music, no news).

Tokyo MX => a priori not needed
NHK G大阪 NHK G Osaka
サンテレビ Sun TV
BS 12
BSスカパー! => a priori not needed
IMAGICA BS
ファミリー劇場 Family Gekijo => family channel ?
チャンネルNECO
スカイA Sports+ SkyA Sports+ GAORA => a priori not needed
キッズステーション Kids Station => a priori needed
National Geographic => a priori needed
ムービープラス Movie + => a priori not needed
日テレ News24 => a priori not needed
Fighgin TV Samurai => a priori not needed
Fuji TV Two => Fuji TV "replay" channel ?
TBS Ch 1 => TBS "replay" channel ?
日テレ+ => 日テレ "replay" channel ?
チャンネル銀河
スペースシャワーTVプラス

Would appreciate a description/opinion on those above channels.

Thank you !

Nielle

Postby Nielle » Tue May 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello,

I'm starting to have trouble with iSakura and it's really troublesome...
When i want to watch a program, i've got a lot of freeze... And some channel bugs more than others. Is someone having the same trouble??
It's quite annoying..

sbm888

Postby sbm888 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 am

Nielle wrote:Hello,

When i want to watch a program, i've got a lot of freeze... And some channel bugs more than others. Is someone having the same trouble??
It's quite annoying..

oh no, I just bought isakura last night!
tested for a few of my tablets and didn't have any issues :cry:

but it's still better than any of the other ones I've used this year (raku, wolrd TV and Uchi) All three had issues on and off the entire year for me.

jsternbe

Postby jsternbe » Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 am

I can tell you a few of these.

NHK G大阪 - This is just the original NHK. There isn't much difference between whether it comes out of Tokyo or Osaka.

IMAGICA BS - This is a movie channel. It might have some original programming, but it is mostly movies.

ファミリー劇場, チャンネルNECO - This is general programming, but they play a lot of old dramas, anime and tokusatsu shows from the '70s, '80s and '90s. Channel NECO seems to have added a bunch of "cat" based shows (probably because of their name), but that is not normal for them.

スペースシャワーTVプラス - Music videos.

risu wrote:Hi all,

it's decided, iHome is dead for me, i have the money (and soon an Android box) to get a new IPTV solution.
As for today, iSakura seems to best. But regarding to the price and the image quality, i consider WorldTV as a good challenger.
I know WorldTV has "only" 5 days replay but my choice will mostly depend on the channels provided.

I look at the differences (https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8) and i'd like your opinion on some channels to know if it's worth having them.
The main watchers will be kids and my wife, so : drama, variety shows, comedies, (young) kids anime, animal documentaries (no movies, no sport, no music, no news).

Tokyo MX => a priori not needed
NHK G大阪 NHK G Osaka
サンテレビ Sun TV
BS 12
BSスカパー! => a priori not needed
IMAGICA BS
ファミリー劇場 Family Gekijo => family channel ?
チャンネルNECO
スカイA Sports+ SkyA Sports+ GAORA => a priori not needed
キッズステーション Kids Station => a priori needed
National Geographic => a priori needed
ムービープラス Movie + => a priori not needed
日テレ News24 => a priori not needed
Fighgin TV Samurai => a priori not needed
Fuji TV Two => Fuji TV "replay" channel ?
TBS Ch 1 => TBS "replay" channel ?
日テレ+ => 日テレ "replay" channel ?
チャンネル銀河
スペースシャワーTVプラス

Would appreciate a description/opinion on those above channels.

Thank you !

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Wed May 11, 2016 1:11 pm

sbm888 wrote:
Nielle wrote:Hello,

It's quite annoying..

oh no, I just bought isakura last night!
tested for a few of my tablets and didn't have any issues :cry:

but it's still better than any of the other ones I've used this year (raku, wolrd TV and Uchi) All three had issues on and off the entire year for me.

I haven't seen many issues with iSakura. What channels are you seeing the issues, and are you experiencing them on live or playback?

risu

Postby risu » Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 pm

jsternbe wrote:I can tell you a few of these.

NHK G大阪 - This is just the original NHK. There isn't much difference between whether it comes out of Tokyo or Osaka.

IMAGICA BS - This is a movie channel. It might have some original programming, but it is mostly movies.

ファミリー劇場, チャンネルNECO - This is general programming, but they play a lot of old dramas, anime and tokusatsu shows from the '70s, '80s and '90s. Channel NECO seems to have added a bunch of "cat" based shows (probably because of their name), but that is not normal for them.

スペースシャワーTVプラス - Music videos.

Great feedback :thumright:
Thank you.

Nielle

Postby Nielle » Fri May 13, 2016 7:33 am

I bought the Minix 8 box. It work good I think.
But maybe the trouble of my isakura come from here..?
I use it with ethernet with 40mo connexion and never had trouble with it..

Its the same if i watch live or on record. But more freezing with TBS than NHK.. If i try to push a button when its frozen, my box bug completely and have to do hard reset..

risu

Postby risu » Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am

iSakura will add Fuji1, Fuji Next, TBS2, Eisei Gekijo as 1st stage soon. and Music Japan TV, m-on, G+, AT-X at the 2nd stage.

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

Nielle wrote:I bought the Minix 8 box. It work good I think.
But maybe the trouble of my isakura come from here..?
I use it with ethernet with 40mo connexion and never had trouble with it..

Its the same if i watch live or on record. But more freezing with TBS than NHK.. If i try to push a button when its frozen, my box bug completely and have to do hard reset..

Once in awhile iSakura will freeze for me, but after it fills its buffer I don't see any issues. I haven't had it lock my box up before. Have you checked to see if there are any software updates for your Minix 8 box?

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Fri May 13, 2016 11:40 am

risu wrote:iSakura will add Fuji1, Fuji Next, TBS2, Eisei Gekijo as 1st stage soon. and Music Japan TV, m-on, G+, AT-X at the 2nd stage.

I am wondering what channels the new ones will replace. On the survey it asked what channels people wouldn't mind if they were dropped.

risu

Postby risu » Fri May 13, 2016 11:47 am

supabakakun wrote:I am wondering what channels the new ones will replace. On the survey it asked what channels people wouldn't mind if they were dropped.

You believe there's a limitation of provided channels ? New ones have to replace existing ones ?

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 pm

risu wrote:
supabakakun wrote:I am wondering what channels the new ones will replace. On the survey it asked what channels people wouldn't mind if they were dropped.

You believe there's a limitation of provided channels ? New ones have to replace existing ones ?

That is what the survey seemed to imply. It said the channel listings are limited to a specific amount (can't remember the exact number), and after selecting what new channels I would like, it asked me what channels can be dropped.

risu

Postby risu » Fri May 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Ok, thank for the info.

sbm888

Postby sbm888 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:04 am

i think I've found a bug with isakura. I've got 2 samsung tab s tablets, one note 8.0 tablet , when using isakura by itself they are 95% stable. 5% of the time, it'll crash and restart the tablet automatically.
when using chromecast or screencast feature while using isakura it is a guaranteed auto restart of the tablet within a few minutes.

anyone know why this may be? memory issues? possible fixes?

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Sat May 14, 2016 11:44 am

The latest tweet from Japannettv says that iSakura was requested not to drop any channels and they agreed to increase the number of channels to 64! :D No dropped channels!

supabakakun

Postby supabakakun » Sat May 14, 2016 11:56 am

sbm888 wrote:i think I've found a bug with isakura. I've got 2 samsung tab s tablets, one note 8.0 tablet , when using isakura by itself they are 95% stable. 5% of the time, it'll crash and restart the tablet automatically.
when using chromecast or screencast feature while using isakura it is a guaranteed auto restart of the tablet within a few minutes.

anyone know why this may be? memory issues? possible fixes?

It appears there will be be new release of iSakura, so maybe that will resolve the issues you are seeing. You may want to send JapanNetTV an email with the issues you are seeing.

kasukabe

Postby kasukabe » Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 am

It seems iSakura has another problem at the moment.
Kanto Channels are gone, playing the same 30 seconds from 3:51am (JST) when changing the channel. (It's 9:09 JST now)
Kansai Channels seem to be ok.
Anyone with same problem?

EDIT:
Ok, i saw this tweet now:
Japan Net TV ‏@ILoveJapaneseTV 1h1 hour ago

#iSakura has Kanto channels Live server issue. It was reported to be fixed.

Kurapika

Postby Kurapika » Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 pm

After about an hour and a bit of trickery I got this working. 8)

Last edited by Kurapika on Sun May 15, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sbm888

Postby sbm888 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:34 pm

Kurapika wrote:After about an hour and a bit of trickery I got this working. 8)

excuse my ignorance - but what is that? I have no idea since I use android apps and none of them look like that...

Kurapika

Postby Kurapika » Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 am

sbm888 wrote:excuse my ignorance - but what is that? I have no idea since I use android apps and none of them look like that...

I Bought one of the packs from Japannettv. I then snooped around the network a bit, dumped each channel into a single m3u playlist and then loaded it into VLC. That is what the screenshot above is.

I also loaded it onto my Apple TV 4 and it works perfectly. I am not constrained by android only apps (I did test it on my phone and it worked though :lol ) and didn't really want to invest in one of the android boxes.

Sorry for the crappy quality photos btw, the lighting/camera suck.

Last edited by Kurapika on Mon May 16, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renarayne

Postby renarayne » Mon May 16, 2016 2:15 am

I'd be interested in how you got it working (you can private message if you like). I remember trying to use Wireshark and not really getting very far with it, since I'm not really networking savvy.

yossarsc

Postby yossarsc » Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 pm

renarayne wrote:I'd be interested in how you got it working (you can private message if you like). I remember trying to use Wireshark and not really getting very far with it, since I'm not really networking savvy.

I would love to know, too, or at least be pointed in the right direction regarding which service to purchase and tool used to sniff out the urls. I'm trying to keep the number of devices I'm using to minimum (Apple TV + PS4) and would love to just have an app take care of my Japanese TV needs via an m3u playlist. I'm currently relying on wilsonjj.me's Streamup feed (when it's up) that I watch through a custom built app.

Kurapika

Postby Kurapika » Tue May 17, 2016 1:52 am

I too only have a PS4 and Apple TV and didn't want to purchase anything extra. I used Wireshark and and URL Snooper to get the urls, I think a lot of it was just down to luck. I'd happily share the playlist if I thought it wouldn't get sent around the whole web :lol