Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
hiakhiak

Re: Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas

Postby hiakhiak » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Is anyone else using Multi OS IPTV? I've jumped between this and JPHD for quite a while and this week I noticed that the recorded playback for Multi OS has become really horrible. Quality used to be decent (jumped to JPHD because I can't stand that Multi OS keeps cutting off the start of the program with its EPG) but now every time there is a different camera angle (which happens all the time.........) there is terrible pixelation for at least a second or two before it returns to acceptable quality. Even the acceptable quality is more pixelated than before.

I did realise that even though the recordings still cut programs off at the beginning, it has overlaps with the time slow before that now, so I no longer miss out a dialogue or two when catching up on tv.

Approached Japannettv about it but Hajime says it's likely my local network issue... but I can see the buffer progress when I'm watching with Chrome and it is almost always fully buffered. I can't be the only one. :crazy:

EDIT: Just thought I'd share some screen caps to show what I'm trying to say...

Anytime there is a change in camera angles, scenes, or the current scene has a lot of actions, colours I dunno... I'll get this.

Then one second later it'll go back to normal.

fischer22

Postby fischer22 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm

hiakhiak wrote:Is anyone else using Multi OS IPTV? I've jumped between this and JPHD for quite a while and this week I noticed that the recorded playback for Multi OS has become really horrible.

I did realise that even though the recordings still cut programs off at the beginning, it has overlaps with the time slow before that now, so I no longer miss out a dialogue or two when catching up on tv.

Approached Japannettv about it but Hajime says it's likely my local network issue... but I can see the buffer progress when I'm watching with Chrome and it is almost always fully buffered. I can't be the only one.

There is a way to check if this is a problem with the buffer or the original stream. I will send you a private message.

liny

Postby liny » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm

If you are living in France or Europe you also can find Japanese IPTV with the TV box eventually on this website http://www.nekonection.com

kdjtachi65

Postby kdjtachi65 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:04 pm

liny wrote:If you are living in France or Europe you also can find Japanese IPTV with the TV box eventually on this website http://www.nekonection.com

iSakura reseller (rebrander?), and a slight price disadvantage vs japannettv at the current USD/Euro exchange rate. Too bad.

risu

Postby risu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm

liny wrote:If you are living in France or Europe you also can find Japanese IPTV with the TV box eventually on this website http://www.nekonection.com

j'en connais qui vont avoir des problèmes avec la justice ...

mikao

Postby mikao » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 pm

risu wrote:

j'en connais qui vont avoir des problèmes avec la justice ...

Oui ! espérons que ça ne se propage pas jusqu'au fournisseur principal...

liny

Postby liny » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 am

I asked them more information, they are the sole reseller of iSakura for Europe so it's a reliable store. The price disavantage is due to the VAT they have to charge, it's the law in Europe.

Dark_Schneider_Py

Postby Dark_Schneider_Py » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Has anyone else tried the new Japan TV service from Japannettv?
So far picture quality is great (they also have more news channels as an added bonus!) and there is 7 days playback as well, but there is no rewind/fast forward option on recorded shows (there is, however for some of the live streams).

risu

Postby risu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:34 pm

liny wrote:I asked them more information, they are the sole reseller of iSakura for Europe so it's a reliable store.

Europe = reliable ? lol
I know what i'm talking about.
Also all the stream providers are chinese, hence i prefer a chinese reseller for better communication and reactivity.

liny wrote:The price disavantage is due to the VAT they have to charge, it's the law in Europe.

If they respect the law, they should worry more about the broadcasting rights than the VAT :D

All this shop is gonna do is put in danger this system for european customers.
Better keep it far and discreet.

In my opinion, you are this reseller promoting your stuff here.

liny

Postby liny » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 pm

I am not "the reseller of this stuff".
I just came accross this website and share the information with you.
Anyway, I saw that the application they are selling is the same as iSakura that's why I just ask the shop about more information, that's all.

mannie511

Postby mannie511 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Dark_Schneider_Py wrote:Has anyone else tried the new Japan TV service from Japannettv?
So far picture quality is great (they also have more news channels as an added bonus!) and there is 7 days playback as well, but there is no rewind/fast forward option on recorded shows (there is, however for some of the live streams).

Would like to try it but I'm still weary of installing their programs on my computer and box. I'm still using the website login version.

djandy76

Postby djandy76 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:48 am

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had received the next iSakura update, V8, yet. I haven't been prompted with the update yet, but was curious to know if anyone had updated already, and knew what sort of things have changed.

Hoggens

Postby Hoggens » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:05 pm

No i have not received it yet !

tandex

Postby tandex » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 am

Just got the iSakura V8 update today. Skipping forward and back is much more reliable. Before it used to pause or just crash. However after resuming paused video, it seems to get stuck looping a few seconds. Overall, it's an improvement I guess. Using a Tronsmart S95 Vega.

ars89

Postby ars89 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello, i am considering getting either isakura or newhome(linkhome). Apologies for noobie questions.

Once i download the apk do i just put it on a usb, attach to the box and install? Does the usb have to be formatted a certain way, i have a mac and my usb is formatted as mac os journaled. Do you just pay japannettv and they give you a password or something? How does it actually work? I would be using a wired connection and a router will that be fine?

I don't own a box so i'm not sure what to look for when purchasing one. I saw that japannettv sells a box but i'm not sure if that one is expensive or not. I know that it will work with the software and that is all i are about. I most likely would not be using the box for anything else besides the isakura or newhome(linkhome). I was just wondering if i would be able to buy a box for cheaper. Will the software work on something that has a newer version of android on it or does it have to be android 5.1? Are there certain requirements the box should have? What is the required internet speed to run these?

Sorry for the beginner questions but would appreciate the help.

kdjtachi65

Postby kdjtachi65 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:45 pm

ars89 wrote:Once i download the apk do i just put it on a usb, attach to the box and install? Does the usb have to be formatted a certain way, i have a mac and my usb is formatted as mac os journaled. Do you just pay japannettv and they give you a password or something? How does it actually work? I would be using a wired connection and a router will that be fine?

Once you have an android box setup and talking through your router, you can use the web browser on the box itself to download the apk. You should be prompted at that point whether you want to install the apk. If not, it should be sitting in the default Downloads folder waiting to be clicked.

Alternatively, if you have a home network, you can grab the apk from a CIFS share and install it. No need to physically plug USB drives into ports. Ugh.

If you purchase iSakura through Japannettv, you'll receive a 9-digit login number via email. The first time you run the app, it will prompt you for that number. When your (monthly/annual/etc) subscription expires, you'll be prompted for a new login number. As one of the survivors of the Great Chinese CrackDown, I limit myself to monthly subs these days, and enter the new account number every month when prompted, without any problems.

I don't own a box so i'm not sure what to look for when purchasing one. I saw that japannettv sells a box but i'm not sure if that one is expensive or not.

You shouldn't be spending more than $50USD for just the box itself (plan to spend an additional $20USD for a decent air mouse; trust me on this). If the Japannettv package (minus annual subscription) exceeds that amount, You could get your own box, but you'll have to weigh your (cost savings/patience/tinkering skills) against the convenience of a single-source solution.

Regarding Android versions, I wouldn't suggest anything > 5.1, but I could be wrong on that score. Anyone here running iSakura 7/8 or LinkHome on Marshmallow?

Regarding broadband requirements, I've successfully tested the various apks on a throttled 5mb downstream connection with good results. So add that number to whatever else you expect to be running concurrently on your router (netflix, phones, etc) and plan accordingly.

ars89

Postby ars89 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Thank You kdjtachi65.

I'm more comfortable with a 1 time charge (annual) than with monthly charges. I know these go down from time to time but how likely are they to go down completely? If the chance is high i might as well go for the monthly. So basically if it goes down i'm screwed out if i bought an annual subscription?

The box on japannettv is $88, but for that much i was thinking about getting the amazon fire tv box, unless it doesn't work on that?

unclemick

Postby unclemick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 pm

kdjtachi65 wrote:
ars89 wrote:Regarding Android versions, I wouldn't suggest anything > 5.1, but I could be wrong on that score. Anyone here running iSakura 7/8 or LinkHome on Marshmallow?

I'm running iSakura v8 on my Sony xbr800D running Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) successfully. No issues on the app side. Plenty of server issues on the iSakura side. Let's just say, hope you're not a fan of Fuji One, Two or Next. They're constantly going offline, have freezing artifact issues, etc. Right now Fuji Two is displaying at 4:3 aspect ratio. Fuji next is playing at maybe 1 frame every ten seconds... I could go on and on. iSakura is the best of the bunch but man, does it ever have it's flaws and issues.

Hoggens

Postby Hoggens » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:32 am

@Unclemick. If you have those issues with v8 iSakura you should downgrade to version 7 again.But if you do you need your login !
It said on Twitter that v8 is very unstable they even stopped it before i got it.Lots of freezing and unsynch.

tandex

Postby tandex » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 am

A new iSakura V9 is due to be released tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/ILoveJapaneseTV/sta ... 8117591040

ars89

Postby ars89 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 am

So my amazon fire tv box came and i am trying out isakura now and liking it.

The slight problem i have might be the remote. Anyone using the amazon fire tv box can recommend a better remote?

kdjtachi65

Postby kdjtachi65 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:11 pm

ars89 wrote:The slight problem i have might be the remote. Anyone using the amazon fire tv box can recommend a better remote?

I warned you, get an air mouse. This one might do the trick. I'll assume the Amazon box has an open USB port...

On a separate note, my trusty MXIII TV box just suffered a painful death. Luckily, I'd just completed setting up a new Windows 10 HTPC for Netflix/Amazon Video/Kodi use, so I grabbed a three-day test of the JapanTV multi-platform (Windows/IOS/MacOS/Android) app before any JPTV withdrawal symptoms set it.

It's surprisingly good on Windows. The PQ is comparable to iSakura. There's zero buffering, and it doesn't suffer from iSakura's maddening audio sync issues. The channel count is 68 vs iSakura's ~75, but that includes almost (goodbye Stars) everything I was watching on iSakura. Same 7-day playback window. The program guide is time-shifted to local, which requires a little mental arithmatic on my part.

JapanTV is a few dollars less a month compared to iSakura. I believe it's $25 vs $30, but japannettv.com is down at the moment so I can't confirm that.

So far, the only minus for me is the lack of a pause button (that I can find) on live/playback streams. Oh well, maybe when they push version 2.

unclemick

Postby unclemick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:13 pm

It too tried JPTV on my iPad (I currently have iSakura). I can confirm that the buffer time is better. Picture quality on my iPad is great, not sure how that would translate to a large 1080p screen. I would be tempted to switch from iSakura if it offered casting or airplay. I enjoy watching iSakura on my Sony XBR while working, so I need something that I can easily push to it. iSakura would be an auto re-subscribe if they would just update the user interface to something more modern like JPTV as well as offer multi-log in and an iOS or web client. I know multi view is coming in the next rev, but they've been saying that since Fall.

ars89

Postby ars89 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes i forgot listen to your warning. I saw a couple available and wasn't sure which one was good.

The fire tv box has 1 usb port so i think it i will be ok.

I tested out Japan TV on the fire tv box and the audio/video/buffering were great. The only thing i disliked was that the guide was not showing up properly. It would show no information available for the show information. Also the playback times of past shows were all in 1hr slots unlike how some of the shows run. I didn't mind the time shift but i liked it better with the normal Japanese times.

I also tested out new home. So there were 2 problems i had. First was the buffering took too long. Second was i had no picture, audio and everything else was fine.

I'm using isakura now. If Japan TV fixes those problems then i would switch over to that.

hiakhiak

Postby hiakhiak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm

I wonder how is the web version coming along... They said mid March last month, but Jimmy said end of this month when I emailed this week. I can't wait... MultiOS IPTV's replay quality has become so ridiculous and I don't believe it's going to improve within two weeks like what Japannettv's Twitter says.

Return to “Japanese Culture & Entertainment”