Coffee Prince R1 R4 MBC America

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
sabriyahm

Coffee Prince R1 R4 MBC America

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 4th, '08, 03:09

Hey I was wondering if anyone had checked out MBC America's release of Coffee Prince on DVD. Are the subs good. I want to know before I drop 100 for the box set. It's incredibly pricey.

EDIT: Went ahead and bought it. Heres my take.

COFFEE PRINCE from MBC America
Wiki:http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_1st_Shop_of_Coffee_Prince

Region Code: 1,4
Picture Format: NTSC
Release Date: January 15, 2008
Language: Korean
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Japanese
Publisher: MBC America
Number of Episodes: 17
Number of Discs: 7

I bought mine from ebay but you can buy it from Yesasia for around $90.
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/s ... 005176057/

Subtitles = They are complete, grammatically correct with no noticable major errors or ommissions. It's translated for an english speaking audiences phrasing. For example instead of saying I look like Min Young they say I look like Meg Ryan. Signs are usually translated. I DO NOT SPEAK KOREAN SO I CAN NOT JUDGE ACCURACY.

Music Subtitles = No music is subtitled as far as I could tell.

Video Display = The picture is 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen. This should be a real treat for widescreen TV owners.

Video Quality = The picture quality was very good. However I can't help think at times it wasn't as sharp as the HD fansubs. It was hard to judge.

Audio = Audio quality was consistant and good if a little on the low side.

Extras = There is an entire disc of Extras. Gag Reel, A Making of Featurette and the Special that aired after the final episode. All Extras have English Subtitles.

Overall this is an Excellant quality release and worth the money I spent on it. I give this version an A-
Last edited by sabriyahm on Mar 4th, '08, 02:46, edited 2 times in total.

Tangpriest

Post by Tangpriest » Feb 4th, '08, 03:20

Subs were in good shape. There may have been a couple of typos, but overall, very happy with the subs.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Feb 4th, '08, 03:23

well, i can't speak for their dvds....but i watched a bit of their subs on azntv....and they were quite good quality. only slight differences from the fansubs...they call her ko eun chan instead of go eun chan....small things like that. some things don't get explained as well, but its not a tragic loss

how pricy are the dvds? i was thinking about checking out the prices for the dvds since i'd like my mom to see it

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 4th, '08, 05:47

Tangpriest wrote:Subs were in good shape. There may have been a couple of typos, but overall, very happy with the subs.
Did you actually get the DVD set? For about 90 I expect the subs to be on par with most YA entertainment releases. I want the subs to be in complete sentences with correct grammer. I want them to translate all the dialogue. How'd they do? Do you mind doing a review like they have for some sets on here?
battlegirlai wrote:well, i can't speak for their dvds....but i watched a bit of their subs on azntv....and they were quite good quality. only slight differences from the fansubs...

how pricy are the dvds? i was thinking about checking out the prices for the dvds since i'd like my mom to see it
The DVD's are crazy expensive. I have seen some people selling the boxset on ebay for 75 and yesasia has it for 94.

As for AZNTV I am not sure the subs on there are the same subs to the DVD. They have never been for any show I have watched on that station. For example kim sam soon's subs from airing on AZN and the DVD's were clearly different.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Feb 4th, '08, 05:57

well, the coffee prince episodes on azntv are definitely translated by MBC America...it said so in the credits. why they would be different from the mbc dvds...i have no idea. that would be exceptionally weird for them to put out two different translations from the same company. but i have no basis for comparison on that. i don't know who did the subs for sam soon on azntv.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Mar 4th, '08, 00:18

I went ahead and bought it. I am pretty happy with this release. It's of good quality. I may buy future MBC America releases if they are all like this. I even think the packaging is nice.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Mar 4th, '08, 00:55

well, i think you have sealed the deal for me ^_^ i think i shall start saving up some cash and buy the set now ^_^ i am extremely pleased to hear that they included and subbed the extras. thats one thing i always was depressed about with some of my purchases of domestically released asian dramas...very rarely do they include the extras. i love the jdrama vampire gigolo...but the fact that they didn't include any of the extras that came with the japanese versions was just depressing since they are so funny

i'm very happy to hear good things about the coffeeprince dvds ^_^ thank you so much for letting us know the details! (and yeah, i understand what you mean about the video quality. if its anything like the video quality of the version on azn, then yes, the raws are much sharper and cleaner looking)