Is this My Girl dvd set bootleg?

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
ung03

Is this My Girl dvd set bootleg?

Post by ung03 » May 8th, '07, 14:14

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole asian drama stuff and just watched my first series ever: My Girl. I thought it was really funny. Anyways, since i enjoyed it so much i decided i wanted it but i've done some research and have found that there are bootleg versions of this series. And im not sure if copies i'm looking at are fake or not. Could i please have some of your advice and opinions please on this particular copy.
http://www.dvdonline.com.au/shop/my-gir ... -p-43.html
I am considering getting either that or the malaysian version that is on the yesasia site but from another site, like the same copy by the looks of it just different retailer. Here it is:
http://www.eastern.com.my/dvd_search.as ... l&type=dvd
Otherwise i would get the US version but i'm not sure it ships to australia since its not on the global site and only on the us site. And its incredibly expensive. I have never seen a dvd set for so much, although that could just be korean drama for you, i don't know.

Anyways i'm not sure what to get. And i think the first one from dvdonline might be bootleg. And I'm not sure about the second link because it seems incredibly cheap compared to yesasia and i'm not sure whether the subbing quality is that great, compared to the us version (but i assumed it would be the same since yesasia was involved with both the us and malaysian version).

Please help, and thank you for taking the time to read my long as message. THANKS!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 11th, '07, 16:18

Those both look pretty dicey to me. I wouldn't buy either one. Might as well take the E-Bay crapshoot as buy one of those.

ung03

Post by ung03 » May 15th, '07, 07:54

The publisher apparently is a group called 'Stars' (with two horizontal adjacent stars as logo) are they a proper group, and would they even have the proper licensing of the series?
Last edited by ung03 on May 15th, '07, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 15th, '07, 08:05

Or you could wait a week or two while I get my Kdrama site up. The ones I'll be doing are the ones from YA Entertainment, but the cost'll be around $75-$80 for the series. Still going over the particulars with my supplier.

ung03

Post by ung03 » May 15th, '07, 08:15

aNToK wrote:Or you could wait a week or two while I get my Kdrama site up. The ones I'll be doing are the ones from YA Entertainment, but the cost'll be around $75-$80 for the series. Still going over the particulars with my supplier.
Is that AUD or USD? coz if its us dollars its still at the moment still too much for me to afford, although it is something i would like to purchase some time in the future before it is discontinued.

ccdj
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ccdj » May 15th, '07, 08:32

Judging from the pictures for both sites, I think the video quality from dvdonline is not gd n the subs are of average quality. This is becos it looks like those from hk or taiwan version. However the one from eastern.com.my, the video quality is gd n so is the subs..I'm from Malaysia n I often buy malaysian version korean dvds n so far I'm happy with the subs. I normally get mine from the local store cos it's cheaper than the market price. There is however another online store which is based in Malaysia(one of my favourite store) n I would sometimes buy from them especially if the item that I want is on sale. Here is the link for it:

http://www.coolwin-video.com

Price is reasonable too. You can give it a try. One of the reason why I like coolwin-video is becos they hv remarks for the video that they offered such as if the subs are gd or not cos then it'll help you decided whether you want to get it or not. Delivery are also quite fast. However, I won't encourage you to buy Japanese drama dvds Malaysian version cos the subs are not that gd compare to Korean dramas.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 15th, '07, 16:25

ccdj wrote:
http://www.coolwin-video.com

Price is reasonable too. You can give it a try. One of the reason why I like coolwin-video is becos they hv remarks for the video that they offered such as if the subs are gd or not cos then it'll help you decided whether you want to get it or not. Delivery are also quite fast. However, I won't encourage you to buy Japanese drama dvds Malaysian version cos the subs are not that gd compare to Korean dramas.
Coolwin's remark for the Malaysian version of Dae Jang Geum is "English subtitles are good". They are, in fact, very bad.

About the HK version of Mr. Duke, they say "Rating for English subtitled: average - below average". The subtitles are, in fact, incredibly bad; often barely intelligible.

I don't think Coolwin's remarks can be trusted.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 23rd, '07, 18:41

basically i would say any drama DVD with English subtiles, with chinese & Malay will have bad grammer. only imported films would have good or prefect subs.

1. look for price of DVD. if from malaysia, a japanese drama set will knock around at 49.90 RM in the shops, 30% discount if you're a memebr, or 10% for no member atthe store. [49.90RM is around £7 - cheap]
2, read the back of the DVD. the english grammer there is a dead giveaway, like the back cover of GTO]
3. if its all region, its fake. and besides, legit japanese drama hasnt got english subs and if it did, you'd pay over £60

same goes for korean drama i guess. while i was in malaysia, i saw jumong DVD for 200RM. checked out the DVD for curosity, all episodes ripped from TV with the worse subs i have ever seen. makes song of the prince / seo dang yo look supurb.

Disappointed

dvdonline.com.au sells bootleg DVDs

Post by Disappointed » Feb 3rd, '11, 06:04

dvdonline.com.au unfortunately does sell bootleg DVDs. I have had the misfortune of buying a DVD from them that was just a copy from China. Don't fall for their trap!