Hiroshima!

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
gmak

Hiroshima!

Post by gmak » Mar 31st, '08, 03:57

i'm going to Hiroshima this summer!!!!!
any recommendations on places to visit?
or any good electronic stores?

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Apr 5th, '08, 03:35

Maybe you should take a geiger counter? :D Though I went there (for all of one day) and I haven't grown an extra head or anything.

Since we were there only for 1 day, we went to Miyajima, an island full of shrines, a bit to the SW, maybe 45 min by train. There is a train station nearby, and yer trusty JR pass gets you onto a ferry. The island is still mostly unspoiled, and the view from the top is great (if there isn't crappy weather like when I was there). Watch out for the 'tame' deer though, if you buy deer foood or carry paper around. After that, by the time we got back to the city it was dark, and so we went to the a bomb memorial, but the museum (have heard that some of the 'history' there is a bit iffy) and stuff were closed. That's all we had time for.

gmak

Post by gmak » Jun 11th, '08, 07:38

in regards to electronics and gadgets, is hiroshima a good place to look? well actually, i'll only be staying in hiroshima, so does anyone have any recommendations on any good shops?
are the prices good? what's popular now in japan?

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Aug 31st, '08, 04:06

Hiroshima's a really nice city! I've been twice and loved it. If you're in the city when the the Hiroshima Carp (the city's professional baseball team) are playing, GO! I saw games both times and had a ridiculous amount of fun. Even if you aren't a big baseball fan, you'll have a GREAT time. The fans throw themselves into cheering for the team, and within a few innings, you'll know all the cheers, too. The fans are also so friendly! :cheers:

From www.gethiroshima.com:

"The team is very close to the hearts of its residents. Experiencing a match is great fun even for people not especially interested in baseball. The antics of the fans are always noisy and lively. Carp supporters were credited with inventing the very particular style of support now popular all over Japan. A Carp home game sees Hiroshima people at their most relaxed and demonstrative."

Here are some links:

http://www.gethiroshima.com/en/Places/T ... ceid=50015
http://www.japanball.com/carp.htm
http://www.carp.co.jp/

You can buy tickets at the stadium on the day of the game. The real cheering action is in the rightfield bleachers. However, it looks like the current stadium won't be in use after the 2008 season (too bad...it's tiny, but the seats are so close to the action). On the other hand, models of the new stadium look nice...

mataeka

Post by mataeka » Oct 22nd, '08, 13:50

aimlesswanderer wrote:After that, by the time we got back to the city it was dark, and so we went to the a bomb memorial, but the museum (have heard that some of the 'history' there is a bit iffy) and stuff were closed. That's all we had time for.
hmm... cant say I overly got that impression... it wasnt overly biased from what I saw - just showed the results of the bomb via pictures, recalled stories and actual artifacts (some of which are horribly gruesome)

either way whether you wanna be sckeptical or not - take a look at the A-dome museum ... it only costs 50 yen entrance ... but it has the potential to make your stay quite sombre ... I'd suggest going first and then travelling on to other places afterwards ...

I managed to get the museum, view most of the surrounding park, visit hiroshima castle and get to miyajima all in one day.

some tips - you can ring the bell thats in the peace park (big iron bell) - its not overly written in english but in Japanese it clearly states 'please ring it'.
hiroshima castle has some cool artifacts - a great view across the city - and a dress up corner ... all of which is pretty cool ... and the staff where friendly - even to the point the security dude took photos of me wearing the costumes ... even if he took some for himself on his mobile camera ... :blink
I didnt manage it but I was highly advised to get to the top of miyajima apparently the scenery is to die for.
and if you get time go browse some of the shops/restaurants hidden in the side streets of miyajima - I found some great food here and there.

hope thats some help :thumright:

Forkboy

Post by Forkboy » Dec 13th, '08, 23:03

All good recommendations so far. :) I wasn't able to go to Miyajima, but I hear it's great.

Skin was crawling a little after a visit to the museum. Definitely right about it being the first place on the list. Interesting, although I wouldn't want it to dominate your memory of the city.

For all your shopping I think you will find every thing on Hondori St. It is a covered, pedestrian only street (completely lined with shops of every sort) that stretches for many blocks above ground, and nearby there is a sprawling complex below ground.

Have fun! :)

hideko

Post by hideko » Jan 5th, '09, 04:01

I highly suggest going to Peace Park and the museum and visiting the various related sites around the city - it's a very powerful place.

Miyajima is also a great spot to visit, like others have said.

From my various adventures in Japan, I find that going just off the main roads is the best thing to do; Hiroshima has some pretty fun little shops and restaurants if you are daring enough to explore off the beaten path. (Like Forkboy said - Hondori St. and its surrounding area. One of my favorite places in all of Japan, strangely.)

Have fun!

makuii

Post by makuii » Jan 15th, '09, 08:37

I also suggest you visit the A-bomb site, Peace Park and the museum...
It's a really moving experience...I'm serious...I was skeptical too, but when I went- I nearly bawled my eyes out...
(Maybe it helped that the weather was also in the mood- grey skies, cold, rainy...seems like a movie script now...^_^)

and yes, Miyajima is a good spot to visit....

Have a good trip!

hideko

Post by hideko » Jan 22nd, '09, 23:05

makuii wrote:(Maybe it helped that the weather was also in the mood- grey skies, cold, rainy...seems like a movie script now...^_^)
I don't think it's just you - it was like that when I went, too. (Coincidence, secretly.) More than that, even, is the feel of the place - it's completely different from just about anywhere else in Japan. I went with a group of people and everyone was a little less energetic than usual for the first day we were there. It's like visiting a higher (or lower) altitude than you're used to - you have to get used to the place...

Peggy

Hiroshima

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '09, 23:15

If at all possible do go to the Memorial Park.

You will surely then be one more person who will never want to see any more wars.

Please go.

Peggy

MarkD

If you have a little more time

Post by MarkD » Apr 4th, '10, 15:38

Kintai Bridge in Iwakuni is worth a look, as is Iwakuni Castle. If you time it right (in the summer, August maybe?), they used to have the cormorants fishing in the river. (I was stationed there for almost 5 years in the 1970s.)

In Hiroshima, Shukkeien Garden is worth a trip, and do not miss the chance to eat Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki. There is a great place several blocks from the train station, I found it once on google. Walk down Hondori for the shopping, If your tastes are more upscale, the Sogo department store is a local landmark, and it houses the Kinokuniya bookstore, which is the only local place I know to buy books in English. There are loads of shops underground now as well. They are accessible on the street in front of Sogo, and run much of the way back toward the train station, IIRC. (Mrs D's parents lived in Saijo, before it became home to Hiroshima University, so we've been back in the area several times.)

I realize this might be too late for you, but perhaps others might benefit from it.

devid456

Post by devid456 » Jul 3rd, '13, 16:06

I love how the architechture mixes the classical maroccan? (Feel free to correct me) feel with modern scyscrapers and whatnot. I remember seeing a documentary a while back on Discovery, and I must admit I am completely speechless.

discotea30

Post by discotea30 » Jul 3rd, '13, 16:36

I'd recommend going to the Museum first then the Peace park afterwards. The horrors you see at the museum will really make you sad so you will want something that is more positive afterwards. The peace park is really nice and a great way to lighten the mood after the museum.

Don't forget to eat okonomiyaki sometime while there in Hiroshima. It's pretty good.

Also they have really good Sake in that area so don't forget to drink lots of the local variety.

Have fun, I'm jealous since its been at least 5 years since i've been back to japan.

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Jul 6th, '13, 05:30

I have not tried the okonomiyaki in Hiroshima but I did get one in a local restaurant in my country. It was interesting because I am used to the okonomiyaki in Osaka.

I agree with going to the A-bomb dome. It made my cry a bit.

Also, Miyajima is a wonderful place. If you have extra money to spend on an overnight ryokan stay, I would recommend it. The jinja and the torii look really marvelous at night, when they are all lit up.

brye826

Post by brye826 » Jan 31st, '14, 21:06

Went to Hiroshima, recommend going to Museum and Peace Park. If you speak Japanese have one of those volunteer take you around. There are many interesting information that I would have not known. On our tour we hired a volunteer he took us to this grave site and showed us a headstone where the explosion from the bomb made shadow on the headstone.
Even though the A-bomb destroyed the city look how they picked them-self up and rebuild the area.
Eat the okonomiyaki in Hiroshima. I would love to go back and spend more time, on a tour everything is at a rush pace.

neko2626

Post by neko2626 » Feb 5th, '14, 06:06

Yes, for sure visit Okonomimura, basically a building with 3 floors of different okonomiyaki vendors, been to two, but they are all great! If in Hiroshima, it maybe good to take some time to go and visit Miyajima Island, which is a short local train ride from Hiroshima Station, or try the street cars, those take longer, but are very interesting as it gives you a way to see the town and people going about their daily routines.

mecchaumai

Post by mecchaumai » Jun 11th, '14, 23:49

neko2626 wrote:Yes, for sure visit Okonomimura, basically a building with 3 floors of different okonomiyaki vendors, been to two, but they are all great! If in Hiroshima, it maybe good to take some time to go and visit Miyajima Island, which is a short local train ride from Hiroshima Station, or try the street cars, those take longer, but are very interesting as it gives you a way to see the town and people going about their daily routines.
Hiroshimayaki is probably my favourite food ever. Miyajima is a must for anyone with a JR pass :).

jacky321

Re: Hiroshima!

Post by jacky321 » Dec 4th, '15, 04:00

I have a little information about Hiroshima. I know all members have shared great information about it but I also want to share my obtained Information with all of you. This is the most famous and beautiful city in the world. The visitors believe that it is the modern city in Japan. My uncle visited there last month with his uncle. He told me that it is a home of great attractions. I also want to go there once in life.