Going to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand for a month in June.

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
javinian

Going to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand for a month in June.

Post by javinian » May 11th, '07, 23:08

To make a long story short, my family is not particularily wealthy, but there are some stuff in life that are priceless to my parents. I'm 25 years old, and I haven't be doing so well in life for the past 5 years.

I got laid off last week and my parents offered me to change air and meet my origins (partly because they worry, since my brother commited suicide 5 years ago, now daddy is not so healthy and we don't think it's a good idea to postpone this big trip).

I'm now getting a month-long vacation in mother Asia: 2 weeks in Cambodia, one week in Vietnam and one in thailand. Sounds great, and i might be taking all my savings to enjoy the whole thing to the fullest (about 1500€ = about 2000$).

Those will be the longest and most exotic holidays of my life. I've never been away from home for more than 10 days, and ive never been away from Paris (i live in suburbs) further than 600km.

I don't speak much Cambodian (I think I know more japanese language from dramas than cambodian actually), and I don't know any vietnamese or thailandese words. :alcoholic:

Anyways, I guess I will be spending my time doing sight seeing, shopping and rejecting some omiai kekkons initiated by my old-school parents. I think I'll be leaving Paris with very few luggage, so I can take back more when I get back here.

Thanks for reading, I hope you guys have some suggestions for me! :salut:

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 12th, '07, 00:24

Make sure you get all the appropriate Visa's in your passport before you leave.

javinian

Post by javinian » May 12th, '07, 00:26

I was told that french passports dont require so much attention about visas when going to theses countries: i can get one just when i arrive there.

Thanks for the info though! ;)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 12th, '07, 00:47

I was told that french passports dont require so much attention about visas when going to theses countries: i can get one just when i arrive there.
I highly suggest you double check on this matter in regards to Vietnamese Visas, and contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or which agency is incharge of French passports) or the Vietnamese Embassy in Paris.

The only French Passport holders that can enter Vietnam without prior need for a visa is holders of French Diplomatic Passports.

Thailand is fine 30 days visa free, and Cambodia you can apply at the Airport (double check), but Vietnam is a different process.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 6th, '07, 11:58

as one said, you have one month free stay in Thailand, you can cross over to Cambodia but a visa takes up a whole page. some border crossings either have a visa on arrival, or you have to get one before hand in Bangkok [i'll go with the latter, just in case]. don't bother giving the Khmer bloke on the border 1 dollar for the 'stamp' as he doesn't get paid well that's why he's asking you for the tip. he wont say anything if you just be polite and say no. also make sure you cross over before the end of the day is out, or you have 'overtime payment fee'. think it happens on the Vietnamese/Cambodian border too.

the money for Cambodia is Riel and US dollar. about 4,000 Riel = 1 USD. and the same for Vietnam, they use Dollars too. 16,000 Vietnamese Dong = 1 USD.

for reference, a 1.5 litre bottle of water isn't 11,000 dong, its no more than 5,000 dong. its one thing you find out after a few days, how much water should be if the Vietnamese are honest or try and rip you off at the train station [as i found out :crazy: ]

if you're in Cambodia for the 1st time, i'd give you 5-7 days at the most. but make sure you see Anker Wot for the 3 day tour. unless its gone up in the last 2 years, a 3 day entrance ticket costs you $40. Be sure to bring along your ID, you have a photo taken along with your payment ticket. bring along your photo for the next 2 days or you will have to pay again another $40

some simple words for Thailand
if you're male, you say Krup at the end of the sentence, and Ka if you re female. dint get them mixed up. so hello is sa-wat dee [krup] and thank you is khorb koon [Krup]. be sure to Wai when you say hello. to wai, place your palms together just under your nose and bow slightly.

for Khmer, its Sues'day for hello or Soksabay che te for how are you. most likely everyone will speak to you in English, but they will be beaming if you say hello to them in their own lingo.
for Vietnamese, i cant remember. you could try french i guess. most old people will no doubt be able to transfer in French. give it a try.

any other words, buy the lonely planet book on S.E.Asia inside there are a few words for each country covering S.E.Asia, or you could spend more money on thicker books of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. more money, but much more in detail than one book, but if you're limited to one month, then one book will do.

just be forewarned about cheap bus tickets to Cambodia from Khaosan road in Bangkok. its scam heaven there. just take a bus from the bus station like everyone else does. don't fall into the trap cos the price is cheap. what you'll find out is you 'name' has been sold and you will have to stay at their guesthouse in the middle of nowhere in Cambodia. or you could just fly into Cambodia from Thailand but there is no fun in that.

C_U

Post by C_U » Dec 28th, '07, 11:33

haha...you're planning to go when i go, but my trip will be for only two weeks and i'm also throwing Hong Kong into the mix. I've got family in Cambo and they can also speak Viet so i guess i'm pretty lucky because i won't be ripped off when shopping or using their public transport.ie. motocycle. I'll be going on a tour when it comes to thailand, not really happy that ,prefer going at it alone.

Anyway you should check out these site, plenty of info:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

i suggest you go buy the lonely planet books, they have so much more info, if you don't want to buy them, just go read them in the book store.

hoosdathu

Post by hoosdathu » Jan 25th, '08, 11:48

so TS, how's ur trip? any FR? ;)

PIka

Post by PIka » Feb 28th, '08, 15:26

hey!
your travel sounds great.
about Cambodia, be aware of your handbag especially when you take the moto!
i also suggest you to go to Phnom Kulen it worth it !! and yeah, siem riep requires 3 days minimum (the sunup soooo beautiful! and the sunset too by the way!)
don't hesitate to haggle the price!
hope you'll have a nice trip 8)