New York

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
jest2

New York

Post by jest2 » Mar 18th, '07, 12:31

Anyone on this forum from New York?

I've always wanted to visit and wonder what it's like.

spareribsQ

Post by spareribsQ » Apr 20th, '07, 17:27

i live in NY....its just like any other major city, lots of traffic. :goggle: but unilike Hong Kong, their subway system is very efficent....here its hit or miss. you can wait anywhere from 10-15 minutes for a train.

crime is actually low for a city of this size, but rape and robberies are up. I would say its a safe city, compared to other cities in the US.

taking a taxi from Kennedy Airport is now a fixed rate of $50 to manhattan.

if you are just one person travelling there is a bus service that costs around $15 one way. called NYAirport Service. but they only stop in 2 locations, either at Penn Station ( West Side of Manhattan) or at Grand Central Station ( East side of Manhattan).

ysabellej

Post by ysabellej » Apr 20th, '07, 17:52

subways and buses run well on weekdays...however on weekends it sucks...last sunday due to heavy rain i was in the subway for more than an hour and transferring from one train to the other coz one would go express...then all of a sudden change again....but despite all these things...i still love new york...

btw..i live along the westside...the area they call "Hell's Kitchen"..:-)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 20th, '07, 18:42

Is this question in specific to New York City? I'm guessing it is, but New York is a very big state, and theres more than just the city.

shama129

Post by shama129 » Apr 20th, '07, 19:07

i have a feeling this thread might get locked . cuz a new york thread already exists here. or they might just merge it.
u should post ur question in that thread and lock this on. plus u'lll find alot of recommendations there already

and to answer ur question. visit us. lol its wonderful here. liike all cities it has its bad side and good sides. u can't have one without the other. check out the brooklyn prominade. its has best view of the manhattan skyline. directly right across from manhatan. great for taking pictures

spareribsQ

Post by spareribsQ » Apr 21st, '07, 03:14

in addition to seeing skyline views of NY ( as was mentioned before on the Brooklyn Promenade).

you can always go up the Empire state building. or the newly opened Rockefeller Center rooftop. its called the Top of the Rock, which is on the 70th floor. i believe its under $20 per person to go up there.

just watch out for pickpockets on 5th avenue and on Broadway. its not as bad as the pickpockets in London or Paris where pack of kids work together to steal purses and wallets.

i'm not trying to scare anyone, but this is still a very safe city.

superfatpig

Post by superfatpig » Apr 21st, '07, 03:36

I just came back from a visit to NY a couple of days ago...wonderful experience. The skycrappers were awesome and brooklyn bridge! Stayed in downtown, Walls St and visited most of the landmarks - Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Esplanade has some of the most amazing view. I also saw snow falls for the very first time in my life in Times Square...very romantic!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 21st, '07, 12:49

check out our other thread:

Anyone here from New York?

jest2

Post by jest2 » Feb 13th, '08, 05:00

This is a long timing coming (and thanks for the information above) but I have finally saved and organised a trip to NY in May 2008. Just sorting out the Visa and accomodation @ the moment.

Have to say I'm pretty excited. :)

spareribsQ :
Thanks for the info.
I will check out the bus trip from the airport.
Any dollar save = More spending!

Will check out "Top of the Rock".
At this point I'm still compiling a list of what to see.

scaturan

Post by scaturan » Feb 13th, '08, 05:07

don't forget South Street Seaport and the museums.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 15th, '08, 00:50

jest2: one of my friends saved a bunch of money by staying at a hotel in new jersey. i forgot the name of it, but he said he had a beautiful view of manhattan, and there was a ferry that took him across to the city every day. you can use the saved money to buy an all-day bus pass.

jest2

Post by jest2 » Feb 15th, '08, 02:33

jholic :
That's a good idea . . might research that.
Money saved = more shopping!

scaturan :
Lots of museum's on my list.

Any recommendations for food?
All I can think of is vendor hot dogs and NY cheesecake!
Any food that is a MUST TRY?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 16th, '08, 05:02

not sure if you are able to get good chinese food, but it's hard to beat the deals you can get in chinatown. and little italy is a few streets away.

coming from so far away, my first thought about nyc was the hotdog vendors and how badly i wanted to try one. one of my friends strongly recommended against it - says it's waaay too unsanitary. but if it doesn't bother you, you'll also find great gyro stands and other food vendors. my friend said he was near rockerfeller center(?) around 10pm, and there was this long-azz line at one of the stands. he couldn't believe it. he thought it was giving away food for free, but it was just dang popular!

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Feb 16th, '08, 08:01

jholic wrote:not sure if you are able to get good chinese food, but it's hard to beat the deals you can get in chinatown. and little italy is a few streets away.

coming from so far away, my first thought about nyc was the hotdog vendors and how badly i wanted to try one. one of my friends strongly recommended against it - says it's waaay too unsanitary. but if it doesn't bother you, you'll also find great gyro stands and other food vendors. my friend said he was near rockerfeller center(?) around 10pm, and there was this long-azz line at one of the stands. he couldn't believe it. he thought it was giving away food for free, but it was just dang popular!
Aloha jholic!

You're in NYC now right?

I'm going to the US this summer too. I might be going New York end of July or start of August for a few days before returning to Singapore. I'm going to Yellowstone to work and will most probably travel in California after my work of 2.5mths. Anyone from Yellowstone? (I don't think so)... San Francisco too! I like to meet locals hee!

P.s. I've always been curious. New York is a city, what's the state it's in? And what's Manhattan? A state? A City?

Gir

Post by Gir » Feb 16th, '08, 15:09

kylagurl wrote:
P.s. I've always been curious. New York is a city, what's the state it's in? And what's Manhattan? A state? A City?

New York City is in the state of New York, yes they both have the same name. :D
Manhattan is a Borough of New York city, or basically a section of the city, go here for a better discription: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_%2 ... rk_City%29)

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Feb 16th, '08, 15:21

@kylagurl: New York is a name of city and a state. The City of New York is made up of five boroughs/counties: Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens (Queens County), The Bronx (Bronx County), Staten Island (Richmond County), and Manhattan (New York County). People don't really use the county names though unless they're filling out some sort of government form. Actually..., I think that's the reason why Manhattan is written New York, New York in addresses. But then why don't I write Kings, NY for my return address? Hmm....

@jest2: When Domino's Pizza had those Brooklyn style pizza commercials on tv, my out-of-state friends would ask me if it tasted anything like real Brooklyn pizza. It does *NOT*. Maybe you should try the real deal if you're ever around Brooklyn. Pizzerias vary from restaurant to restaurant though.

If the Empire State Building's in your itinerary, feel free to hit up Koreatown to grab a bite to eat, which is like one or two blocks away. Don't expect anything like Chinatown though. Our Koreatown is only one block long. LoL. Korea town is a block away from Manhattan Mall if you're in the mood to shop.

Over around the Fashion District, there's a Japanese Curry restaurant chain called Go!Go!Curry.

Definitely check out Chinatown if you're interested. Unlike the other Chinatowns in the world that are sorta... "dressed up"(?).... I dunno. I see it like Waikiki is the closest thing to being in Japan without being there, and NYC Chinatown being the closest thing to China without being there. Crowded as hell in the daytime (If you got kids be sure to hold on to their hands!). Lots of fobs. Dirty and smelly. Lots of bootlegged stuff (Check out the "designer" t-shirts with the Fruit of the Loom tag =P) I love CT, but that's just how it is. I haven't been to Elizabeth Center in the longest, but downstairs is where the kids usually hang cuz there's anime/game stores down there.

There's Madison Square Garden, but our Knicks suck. Even if you rode on over to Jersey the Nets suck also.

If you go over to the East Village, you'll find a lot of Japanese restaurants and 2 conbinis (JASMart, Sunrise Mart). Over on East 8th or East 9th street you can find an authentic Takoyaki/Okonomiyaki/Yakisoba shop. It's hella small, but that's actually quite normal in Japan.

There's a Japanese used bookstore chain called Book Off in Midtown on E 41st between 5th Ave and Madison Ave. Japan has a lot of these stores in Tokyo although the New York one doesn't sell video games like they do in Japan. They do carry an extensive library of movies and CDs which is all dedicated to the main floor. The top floor is all manga and the basement has the novels and non-fiction books. The best thing about Book Off is since they're used, they're sold at very cheap prices. It might be a good alternative to ebay or importing in general. For Japanese manga, it's the best. $3-5 for used manga that often doesn't even look used. Either way, you get to check out its condition firsthand before you decide to buy. Some people read it right there like a library -__-;;

1 loooong block away from Book Off (gotta walk past the library and Bryant Park) is Kinokuniya Books, another bookstore chain based in Japan with a NY branch. All their stuff is new though, but recently last year, a very famous mangaka, Inoue Takehiko, handpainted a mural of one of his manga series "Vagabond" on their walls. I wish he had done Slam Dunk! Doh >_<

About Bryant Park... they offer free wifi there, so if you want to go on the net and you're around there area, skip the Starbucks (or go there and take your latte with you) and make yourself comfortable to one of their many public tables and chairs there. Problem is it might be cold there this time of year.

East Midtown also has a lot of Japanese restaurants too but they're a lot harder to find and some tend to be too pricey. I guess they're more catered for the Japanese business people that work around there, especially since several Japanese tv station branches are located there. FujiTV is somewhere around hmm... E 52nd, 53rd or something. But it's not like you can get a tour around there or anything like in Japan. Strictly business. Hideki Matsui lives at the Trump World Tower during the Yankees regular season (as does Derek Jeter).

Check out the NBA Store over at 52nd St and 5th Ave if you're into basketball.
If you're into baseball and wanna buy Yankees or Mets stuff, try to AVOID buying stuff from the Yankees Clubhouse or Mets Clubhouse stores. They're tourist traps. You can find a lot of the same stuff at cheaper prices at a sporting goods store like Modell's.

Whenever you're thirsty in Manhattan and wanna grab a soda or something like that, *try* to find a nearest Pharmacy/convenience store like Duane Reade, Rite Aid or CVS before going to a corner grocery store. Grocery store prices are sometimes double the convenience store chains. It's also one of the cheapest places to buy cold beer in Manhattan lol... Great place to stock up on a trip that might need a lot of long waits on lines.

Soho is walking distance from Chinatown if you wanna shop at trendy stores. There's even a Uniqlo there which is a Japanese clothing store comparable to Gap and a store environment like H&M.

If you plan on using public transportation, definitely consider buying an unlimited ride version of the Metrocard (not pay-per-ride). That way you can ride as often as you want to without spending too much.

Half an hour away from NYC is a tiny Japanese mall chain called Mitsuwa in Edgewater NJ. There's an authentic Taiyaki shop there so that's pretty cool. Those microwaveable taiyakis are nothing like the real thing. They redid the whole place a few years back so now there's specialty restaurants there too like a Ramen shop (complete with the wax food window menu like in Japan lol and natto if you want it), Korean BBQ, etc.

There's a Yoshinoya (japanese gyudon restuarant chain) around Times Square across the street from the Empire 25 movie theater and Port Authority. Try to stay away from the McDonald's in Times Square cuz they're overpriced. The Hell's Kitchen area is around there too along 9th Ave. It's a nice place to find a place to eat because there's so many choices.

A friend recommended me this seafood restaurant that he went to with his wife one time called One Fish Two Fish (website:http://www.onefishtwofish.com/) but I keep forgetting to check it out since it's always been out of my way (Upper Eastside, where rich folks live). Supposedly, it's really good.

Hmm... there's Ground Zero you can check out -__-;; But right by there is a popular discount clothing store called Century 21. Walking distance from there is a popular Electronics store called J&R Music and Computer World. If you've always ordered stuff from them online, you can check out there store in person.

There's an Official Nintendo Store by Rockefeller Center, along with the NBC Studio store... LoL... if you're one of *those* tourists, you can get your camera-whore on when they film the Today show. Make a sign that says you're from D-Addicts o__O;; hopefully NYPD won't find you suspicious of being a drug addict... or a terrorist -__-; (every little weird thing here associates itself with terrorism one way or another ever since 9/11)

Gah... what else... I dunno.. maybe I'll stop right here. I've typed way too much already anyways.

Oh!!! Try not to attract too much attention with gadgets and stuff (especially PSPs, and ipods) during the late night hours (like midnight and later), especially if it's a place with not a lot of people like an empty subway car. You might get mugged. Some lines, like the Q, N, and R lines are pretty safe at all hours of the night, but still it's better safe than sorry. I'd personally avoid the Bronx too because it's kind of ghetto. Bronx Zoo and Yankee Stadium are the only things I can think of worth seeing, but the Yanks don't play at home til April.

Try to avoid rush hour on trains cuz it's dreadful riding with school kids. Some of them just don't know how to act!!

Have fun in New York!!

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Feb 16th, '08, 16:11

Gir wrote:
New York City is in the state of New York, yes they both have the same name. :D
Manhattan is a Borough of New York city, or basically a section of the city, go here for a better discription: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_%2 ... rk_City%29)
Wow, thanks for that education! Are you a New Yorker?

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Feb 16th, '08, 16:23

kusmog wrote:@kylagurl: New York is a name of city and a state. The City of New York is made up of five boroughs/counties: Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens (Queens County), The Bronx (Bronx County), Staten Island (Richmond County), and Manhattan (New York County). People don't really use the county names though unless they're filling out some sort of government form. Actually..., I think that's the reason why Manhattan is written New York, New York in addresses. But then why don't I write Kings, NY for my return address? Hmm....

Oh!!! Try not to attract too much attention with gadgets and stuff (especially PSPs, and ipods) during the late night hours (like midnight and later), especially if it's a place with not a lot of people like an empty subway car. You might get mugged. Some lines, like the Q, N, and R lines are pretty safe at all hours of the night, but still it's better safe than sorry. I'd personally avoid the Bronx too because it's kind of ghetto. Bronx Zoo and Yankee Stadium are the only things I can think of worth seeing, but the Yanks don't play at home til April.

Try to avoid rush hour on trains cuz it's dreadful riding with school kids. Some of them just don't know how to act!!

Have fun in New York!!
Wow ahha... That's a lot of info. I jus read the first few paragraphs. I'll read the rest later to refresh my memory ahha. Wow, are you a tour guide or something?

I lurve Yoshinoya! I'm from Singapore and we have Yoshinoya! Yea, my parents are kinda worried about me going to New York since many instances of people getting mugged right? I know Jennifer Lopez sang a song about the Bronx and frm movies and stuff, I know it's kinda eerie and dangerous there if I'm not a local and I don't know my way around right?

Oh my, is crime really very prevalent there? Moreover, no offence but many people in the States are bigger in size so i think if they attack small, mini me (asian) as compared to them though I'm quite fat, I think I won't win ahah...

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Feb 16th, '08, 17:19

kylagurl wrote:Oh my, is crime really very prevalent there?
To be honest, no, I don't think it is really. I just think people should be more careful when people flash around their ipods, cellphones, etc in the subway esp. late at night. I've seen it happen. If you're with friends you're lessing likely to be bothered with by anybody. You don't really have to worry during the daytime though.

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Feb 17th, '08, 14:12

kusmog wrote:
kylagurl wrote:Oh my, is crime really very prevalent there?
To be honest, no, I don't think it is really. I just think people should be more careful when people flash around their ipods, cellphones, etc in the subway esp. late at night. I've seen it happen. If you're with friends you're lessing likely to be bothered with by anybody. You don't really have to worry during the daytime though.
Mmm, but I kinda feel like going around myself at night, to try how it feels. But as long as I don't flash my stuff, people wont' really be interested to target me right? aha, I look poor too, so guess it's alright.

You from New York?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 18th, '08, 05:01

kylagurl wrote:Aloha jholic!
You're in NYC now right?
I'm going to the US this summer too. I might be going New York end of July or start of August for a few days before returning to Singapore. I'm going to Yellowstone to work and will most probably travel in California after my work of 2.5mths. Anyone from Yellowstone? (I don't think so)... San Francisco too! I like to meet locals hee!
aloha kyla,

hope all is going well with you. no, i'm currently in the virginia area. i sometimes go to nyc for a visit. judging from where you're going to be going, i think you'll have a very busy, but fun, summer. nyc's usually quite humid in the summer, so i would leave the winter coat at home.

kusmog's post was quite comprehensive (and i think jest2 can benefit as well). as others have said, i used to think nyc was rampant with crime, but that's far from the truth. i have been out in the streets at all hours of the day and night, alone and with others, and have not had a problem. BUT, i remain very cautious. travel along the main streets, and since you're female, travel with others.

i'm not sure how good yoshinoya's is in nyc, but i love yosh in japan. gyudon, baby! anyways, since you're from asia (singapore), the chinese food may not impress you (it impresses me), but chinatown still remains the best deal in food! :)

jest2

Post by jest2 » Feb 18th, '08, 11:46

kusmog :
That's a comprehensive post.
Really appreciate it.

I'm taking some notes and preparing.
Your advice is great!

One small question . . . (might seem silly) . . . but planning to travel light on clothing.
That means might have to do some laundry.
Hotels will be extraordinarily expensive but is there any place to get clothes clean?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 19th, '08, 04:50

jest2: as i have done some business traveling, some hotels (especially extended stay places) have free laundry service. other hotels have a cleaning service where they contract out to a laundry service - you put your clothes in a bag, they take care of it and charge it to your hotel bill. and other hotels have at least coin laundry machines in the hotel.

it yours does not, the cheapest option would be to find a coin laundromat near to your hotel. don't be afraid to call the front desk and ask for options.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 20th, '08, 22:29

for anyone near the nyc area (boston, dc, philadelphia, etc), there is a current price war between the various bus companies that travel to these cities. you can find $1 prices to ride some of these buses. some companies with discounted prices are: boltbus, buszoo, etc. a friend of mine let me know, and i thought i'd share the info.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » May 1st, '08, 19:23

it really amuses me as to how many people think that new york city is all of new york, considering how tiny it is geographically compared to the rest of the state....also the fact that it isn't the state's capital, yet everyone thinks it is.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 1st, '08, 19:39

jholic wrote:for anyone near the nyc area (boston, dc, philadelphia, etc), there is a current price war between the various bus companies that travel to these cities. you can find $1 prices to ride some of these buses. some companies with discounted prices are: boltbus, buszoo, etc. a friend of mine let me know, and i thought i'd share the info.

@ jholic*GASPS! A dollar?? Wow, so it has gone that low nowadays.

Last I heard it was $10 and I thought that was cheap! But it's true about the price wars between the bus companies. If you stand outside of Catham Square underneath the bridge by East Broadway, there are different bus companies that steal each other potential customers. It's malicious I tell you!

I've even heard of customers who have been sold wrong tickets just so that those crazy ticket sellers make money. So imagine wanting to go to Boston, but end up purchasing a ticket to Norfolk, VA or Philly. :crazy:

I haven't taken the Chinatown buses in a long time.....last time was probably last summer when I went to visit my sister in Virgina Beach, but the price war wasn't as full-blown as it is now.

@ ainhoa: right~ :) the state's capital is actually Albany, NY.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 19th, '08, 23:02

angel: i don't know how i missed your post. :crazy:
lilswtangel wrote:
you can find $1 prices to ride some of these buses. some companies with discounted prices are: boltbus, buszoo, etc. a friend of mine let me know, and i thought i'd share the info.
@ jholic*GASPS! A dollar?? Wow, so it has gone that low nowadays.

Last I heard it was $10 and I thought that was cheap! But it's true about the price wars between the bus companies. If you stand outside of Catham Square underneath the bridge by East Broadway, there are different bus companies that steal each other potential customers. It's malicious I tell you!
yes, it's a dollar or 5 or 10. it's rare to be higher than that. it's a good time to travel on the chinatown bus. and i thought the $35 rt was a deal.

i always imagine that one lady on forsythe banging on the plastic sign, 'dc! dc! dc!'. :lol
I've even heard of customers who have been sold wrong tickets just so that those crazy ticket sellers make money. So imagine wanting to go to Boston, but end up purchasing a ticket to Norfolk, VA or Philly. :crazy:
yikes!! i've never heard of anyone getting wrong tickets, but i have seen people get on the wrong bus, and i've seen people with babies kicked off the bus because they won't pay the extra fare for the child's seat.

on boltbus, i hear they have very comfortable seats and free wi-fi with electrical outlets!!

peachjunkie

Post by peachjunkie » Jun 15th, '08, 15:03

NYCer here. I live in Queens and go to school in Manhattan. My area of Queens is nice and quite for the most part. There are some accidents at times, since I live right off a major blvd. From my house to Manhattan, it takes about 1 hr by bus+subway. That is, if they're running regularly.

Like many people have said, Manhattan is like any other city. There's the upper class section, the cool/hip section, and then you've got Chinatown and Little Italy and so on and so forth.

peachjunkie

Post by peachjunkie » Jun 15th, '08, 15:08

kusmog wrote:....A friend recommended me this seafood restaurant that he went to with his wife one time called One Fish Two Fish (website:http://www.onefishtwofish.com/) but I keep forgetting to check it out since it's always been out of my way (Upper Eastside, where rich folks live). Supposedly, it's really good. ...

Have fun in New York!!

I go to school in that area (HCHS) and pass by it daily. While I actually haven't tried it, I can tell you that it is usually 50% full by the ungodly lunch hour of 10:30 so it must be rather good, neh?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 15th, '08, 21:26

peachjunkie wrote:Like many people have said, Manhattan is like any other city. There's the upper class section, the cool/hip section, and then you've got Chinatown and Little Italy and so on and so forth.
:lol
the way you worded that sentence, it made it sound like chinatown and little italy are the ghetto areas or something. i'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

an hour each way for a commute??! yikes! well, then again, when i was going to college back in hawaii, i would have to commute an hour and a half each way. not sure how i managed that.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jun 15th, '08, 21:38

peachjunkie wrote:
Like many people have said, Manhattan is like any other city. There's the upper class section, the cool/hip section, and then you've got Chinatown and Little Italy and so on and so forth.
WRONG!

okay fine, partially you're correct. But NYC is like no other city. Most long time NYers(not trying to insult anyone here) have this impression that a lot of cities are similar to NYC except ours is just a bit more crowded.

NYC is practically its own independent ecosystem. Nowhere else in the world will you find such a magnificent public transit system that runs 24/7. There is not a time that you will not find the streets busy with people -- even in the dead of the night, you'll find other random people so you won't feel that your life is threatened by muggers at any point.

There are obvious class differences depending on where in NYC you're situated in, but it's relatively all the same -- you'll find ALL different types of people on the streets.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 19th, '08, 03:15

fayenatic wrote:There is not a time that you will not find the streets busy with people -- even in the dead of the night, you'll find other random people so you won't feel that your life is threatened by muggers at any point.

There are obvious class differences depending on where in NYC you're situated in, but it's relatively all the same -- you'll find ALL different types of people on the streets.
that's pretty true. nyc has a bad rep of being a dangerous city, but in all honesty, i've never felt unsafe anywhere in the city.

of course, i've never wandered off into certain parts.....

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jun 21st, '08, 02:27

*enters conversation*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

primarily, NYC isn't dangerous....unless you go walking in quiet areas by yourself. For example, walking your dog in Central Park at 3 am is not a very bright thing to do.

But then again, it's like that no matter where you are in the world.

it's stereotypical, I know...crime is synonymous to NYC, but really, it's actually quite safe from the daytime to the nighttime depending on which areas you are in...and if you are not alone. :)

bluespring

Post by bluespring » Jul 27th, '08, 23:07

^how about east new york or brownsville?

peachjunkie

Post by peachjunkie » Jul 28th, '08, 22:51

jholic wrote:
peachjunkie wrote:Like many people have said, Manhattan is like any other city. There's the upper class section, the cool/hip section, and then you've got Chinatown and Little Italy and so on and so forth.
:lol
the way you worded that sentence, it made it sound like chinatown and little italy are the ghetto areas or something. i'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

an hour each way for a commute??! yikes! well, then again, when i was going to college back in hawaii, i would have to commute an hour and a half each way. not sure how i managed that.
Oops, my bad! I had no intention of doing that! I love Chinatown. I get to buy coconuts and drink 'em right there. Hehe.

Hour and a half. Oh. ..my goodness. That's painful. :O

Reece

Have you ever been to New York ?

Post by Reece » Sep 14th, '08, 08:33

What is it like ? I'm dying to know . Anyone wanna share ?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 14th, '08, 15:09

merged with existing thread.

carinaxo

Post by carinaxo » Mar 2nd, '09, 02:44

I'm from NYC. There isn't much to do in Chinatown but to eat.
No offense but I hate walking through East Broadway.
Little Italy is mostly for Tourists.
Flushing is mostly the same thing.

BlaqNumbr9

Post by BlaqNumbr9 » Mar 2nd, '09, 03:09

ainhoa wrote:it really amuses me as to how many people think that new york city is all of new york, considering how tiny it is geographically compared to the rest of the state....also the fact that it isn't the state's capital, yet everyone thinks it is.
You mean to tell me that there is life outside of New York City? I find that hard to believe...

Don't get mad! I'm kidding...sort of. :mrgreen:

scarlet0906

Post by scarlet0906 » Oct 19th, '09, 15:10

I'm from Philippines but i always wanted to go to New York. I want to feel how it's like to be in Manhattan and living in the most expensive city in the US. Another reason why i liked to be in New York because it is one of the fashion capital of the world and the place is so beautiful.

quickdl

Post by quickdl » Jan 27th, '10, 02:45

not from new york but i practically grew up there. i go there every year a lot

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 10th, '10, 17:04

New York is a great place, but except for Central Park, no good. Sorry, I've been there few times, and did nothing more than sightseeing, so... And I don't like the attitude of the people there. Maybe I met wrong people, I don't know.
Boston is better ^^

HongKongChick

Post by HongKongChick » Mar 18th, '10, 17:10

NYC is a great place. reminds me of hong kong. full of life. and it's NOT as dangerous as people think. i was there with a couple of japanese girls, and we were fine. i love the fact that u can walk everywhere.

dont like the park so much either. was snowing when i went.

chinatown was great, yummy food

little italy, not amazing

korea town, not great either.

little india, not bad

just dont go to the alley ways at night by yourself. hahaha

Starprism

Post by Starprism » May 23rd, '10, 21:49

I've been in NY for so many years that none of it phases me xD I'm on the edge of Brooklyn almost going into Manhattan. If you like seeing so many cultures melded together and the rush of the city then you should hang by Manhattan. I stay by the village often.

jacky321

Re: New York

Post by jacky321 » Dec 2nd, '15, 04:35

jest2 wrote:Anyone on this forum from New York?

I've always wanted to visit and wonder what it's like.
Jest2, I am not from New York but I visited this city as traveler. I must say this city is looking very gorgeous and best for tourist. I want to say your decision is right. You should go there without any problem. YOu can explore there lots of this which are filled with culture, historical and nature places. The Niagara Falls is the most famous tourist attraction in NYC and Canada. It is located in both side and offers lots of stunning views of nature. I will suggusted you don't forget to visit it.