Anybody who's been to Germany, help me.

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
janghokim

Anybody who's been to Germany, help me.

Post by janghokim » May 31st, '06, 09:53

Okay here's a little bit of background information. I work, come home, then some anime/manga/dramas, followed by some sleep, and of course meals in between. I've been in Germany for about half a year now and haven't really been anywhere except snowboarding. Snowboarding was farking awesome until I fell and got stuck in some trees so snowboarding is one of the last things on my mind, plus there's no snow anyways.

So, I was just wondering if anybody knows of any cool places to see, things to do/eat, and miscelluaneouesas fun stuffs. I don't smoke/drink and like to stay away from those who do.

Somewhere close would be better but try to stay within Germany.
This is a map of where I live around:
[img]http://jk1077.com/germany.jpg[/img]

oberon

Post by oberon » May 31st, '06, 12:38

hey I'm from the netherlands so I've been a couple of times in Germany.
I see you live close to Munich, why don't you go there sometime. I hear that it is a beautiful city. And World cup soccer, so if you like it you should go and see a game.
Nurnberg is also cool, you have the Nurnberg ring wich is a racecar track, one of the biggest in Europe!!
where are you orginally from??

laure_choc

Post by laure_choc » May 31st, '06, 13:04

Near Stuttgart, there's a nice castle & garden to visit : Ludwigsburg. It's easy to reach by train. During summer i believe there is also a musical festival there (at least there was one 2 years ago).
I could only spend 1 day in the area which is why i went only to this place but i heard Stuttgart has other nice castles around.

janghokim

Post by janghokim » May 31st, '06, 14:01

oberon wrote: where are you orginally from??
Born in Korea, moved to New Jersey, then to California, now working in Germany.

Probably will go Nurnberg and Stuttgart once I get my camera out of storage and if I don't have to move.
Last edited by janghokim on May 31st, '06, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » May 31st, '06, 15:31

You could check out the Stars and Stripes Travel section for travel in Europe, including Germany. They have a lot of current information that may be more useful than a guidebook researched a few years ago.

http://www.estripes.com/section.asp?section=103

In the middle of the page, you'll find links to 2 different archives of hundreds of travel articles from the past few years. ("Travel Magazine" and "Quick Trips")

This site can keep you updated on festivals and other current happenings in Germany too.

enemenemuh

Post by enemenemuh » Jun 1st, '06, 08:55

Looks like you live "am Arsch der Welt". :roll

Dear, have you ever tried to TALK to Germans??? Ask your colleagues about places to go. Go to the municipality (Gemeinde) of your town and get information, those people are nice (if they aren't, complain!). I am pretty sure there are plenty of places around you that are interesting enough to visit. Cities like Munich and Stuttgart are pretty far away from what I can see on ur map. E.g. distance Cologne-Frankfurt is about 3 hours by car going at 140 km/h.

As for what Germans do to have fun... hm... I would go watching some shows in cinemas, visit amuesement parks and such or, since you seem to be interested in sports, find the local sports communities and join them :-)

If you're interested in studying sth, visit the local VHS (Volkshochschule) which is some kind of public school/college for adults. Courses are quite cheap and you can basically do anything from pottery and cooking to learning Japanese/Korean/Chinese. Plus you get to know people with similiar interests. That's also most important... get to know some people!

janghokim

Post by janghokim » Jun 1st, '06, 10:21

Well the thing is, I work M-F and normally by the time I get off work, I'm dead tired. Only time I really got time to do stuff is on the weekends or if get some days off. Can't really join a sports team because I can be called in on the weekends too.

My "colleagues", always go drink like there's no tomorrow and if not probably to the whore houses. Only places they know and are interested in are clubs, pubs, and whores.

I've been planning on taking some online courses once I find out whether I have to move or not. At this point in time I'm not really interested in meeting/getting to know people.

enemenemuh

Post by enemenemuh » Jun 1st, '06, 10:44

+lol+
where the hell are u working? Some factory? I really hope they treat you ok. (some brainless people can be pesky when it comes to foreigners, even though I guess it's the same in any country)

Of course you can join a sports team. It's not like it's obligatory in any way, there are lots where people join who are like you, with little time but interest. Most of the people who do sports also like to drink a beer afterwards but ur never forced to join.

If you give the impression that ur not the slightest bit interested in the people they will probably find u strange :-(
U just need to find the right ones that's why I said to join activities where the probability to find guys with similiar interests is higher.

Hika.chan

Post by Hika.chan » Jun 1st, '06, 11:09

I would recommend Berlin. It`s not only the capital of Germany it's also a really cool city with all kinds of people, shops, arts etc. Take a sight-seeing tour, ride a "S-Bahn" and so on. This will show you some beautiful places.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Jun 1st, '06, 11:34

enemenemuh wrote:+lol+
where the hell are u working? Some factory? I really hope they treat you ok. (some brainless people can be pesky when it comes to foreigners, even though I guess it's the same in any country)

Of course you can join a sports team. It's not like it's obligatory in any way, there are lots where people join who are like you, with little time but interest. Most of the people who do sports also like to drink a beer afterwards but ur never forced to join.

If you give the impression that ur not the slightest bit interested in the people they will probably find u strange :-(
U just need to find the right ones that's why I said to join activities where the probability to find guys with similiar interests is higher.
sounds like the military to me... :P behavioural patterns of "colleagues" sure fits... :lol
i'm a military brat myself, so the territory is familiar...
janghokim, do what phoenix suggested or visit the military travel office...
they usually have pamphlets for short day trips on the weekends and most likely also information on what's cool to see in your immediate vicinity...
germany has really nice places to visit and most of the day trips for military members are fairly cheap...
hope you enjoy germany in spite of a rough work schedule... :salut:

toxicity

Post by toxicity » Jul 16th, '06, 22:03

I live in France but my cousin live in Berlin and I have been to Germany.
You can go to Heidelberg wich is a beautiful city near Frankfurt. There is a beautiful castle. The city is very famous in the world for her history: arts, litterature...
You can also go to the "Oktober Fest" which is the beer fest in Munchen (Munich). That's pretty famous in France (all of my friends wants to go there lol!!).
Berlin is a city with a lot of History. There are a lot of artists, young people there... This city moves a lot.
Well, Germany is a great country.
And because it's in Europe, you can go to France, Belgium, Nederlands, Austria, Poland, Tchec Republic... You just need an ID and you can go everywhere...

Miyaguchi

Post by Miyaguchi » Jul 16th, '06, 22:20

Hey! I from Poland and I've been to Germany a few times...

You have quiet good place to live. First of all somebody said about Sttutgart - very good idea. Big city with many interesting places. I recommend You it!
Next you must visit Munich and Augsburg. If you admire old church, cathedral I recommend You Ulm - there is famous church with the higest towers ( if i good remember there is about 800 steps ) but view was wonderful!
If YOu like swimming I can recommend You Boden See ( south part of Germany ). There is so beautiful.
Anyway - Germany is paradise of tourist. I have family there so I've visited many places. Really I can recommend You each city in Germany. And I know that people who from Germany on this forum say You same as me.
And remember - welcome to Poland really it is not so far from your place :thumleft:

Greetings
Miyaguchi

S@GDI@N@:-)

Post by S@GDI@N@:-) » Jul 21st, '06, 19:55

hey, why don´t go to the sea? It´s far away, but in the summer, it´s great there.
We Germans like going to FUNPARK...but therefor you need some dudes....and places you can visit..well, don´t go to Berlin..it´s a GREY UGLY city. You better should visit Francfurt or Stuttgart.....

Merenge_5

Post by Merenge_5 » Jul 21st, '06, 20:24

Wow sounds kinda hard your life^~ well I would also show some interest in the people, because they could really think that you might be strange.
I think it is a good idea to join some sport club for a short while and you are not forced to go everytime. There you can find some other friends too!!

I have been some times in Germany too, and I'm going to Munich this sunday. I really can recommend Munich. It's a really beautiful city, and you can go ask in a travel agency and I'm sure they'll help you!! just don't give up, because I'm sure Germany has a lot to offer^^

kaoline

Post by kaoline » Apr 18th, '09, 20:44

Well, go to Berlin for shopping, meeting new people ..
OR take a weekend trip to Denmark! ;D Soooo great country ;D *proud dane*