Taiwan and then either Japan, Hong Kong, or Shanghai?

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
dendia

Taiwan and then either Japan, Hong Kong, or Shanghai?

Post by dendia » Dec 28th, '11, 01:05

I'm taking a 3 week vacation in late April - May to Asia. I have to be in Taiwan (specifically Taipei) on May 6 for a friend's wedding. My question is, where should I go before and after then? I'm traveling solo.

I'd love to return to Hong Kong - I did an 8 month exchange there back in 2005 and adored it. But I'm afraid it won't be the same by myself without my exchange friends.

Or, I could travel around Japan for a bit. However, their Golden Week holiday is during this time and I'm a paranoid it will be either super boring or crazy busy.

Alternatively I could go to Shanghai, China. I've been there a couple of times, but mainly just to the train station or airport. I've never actually explored the city that much (I've been to Hangzhou, Suzhou, and Nanjing). I speak some Mandarin, but the idea of traveling solo in China is more terrifying than anywhere else... :)

In Taiwan, I definitely want to visit Kaoshiung and Taipei. Are there any other cities you recommend?

Thanks!

MeiXin

Taipei

Post by MeiXin » Dec 28th, '11, 02:00

If you haven't been to TP with in the last year there are a lot of new venues that have opened because of the Flora Expo. The even created a new MRT line. I would suggest going to I-lan or Hualien, or even Kenting :)

Source => I live in Taiwan. I have lived in KH and am living in Danshui.