Kim Rae Won

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kim Rae Won

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 11th, '11, 16:29

Name: 김래원 / Kim Rae Won
Profession: Actor and model
Birthdate: 1981-Mar-19
Birthplace: Kangnam, Gangwondo, South Korea
Height: 184cm
Weight: 72kg
Star sign Pisces
Blood type: A
Family: Younger sister
Education: Joong Ang University (Theatrical Arts major)

Currently in the military (since Fall 2009)

Movies:

Insadong Scandal (2009)
Miracle (2007)
Sunflower (2006)
Mr. Socrates (2005)
My Little Bride (2004)
...ing (2003)
2424 (2002)
Plum Blossom (2000)
Harpy (2000)
Scent of a Man (1998)

TV:
Gourmet (SBS, 2008)
What Star Did You Come From (MBC, 2006)
Love Story in Harvard (SBS, 2004)
Say You Love Me (MBC, 2004)
Attic Cat (MBC, 2003)
Snowman (MBC, 2003)
My Love Patzzi (MBC, 2002)
Wuri's Family (MBC, 2001)
Life is Beautiful (KBS2, 2001)
The Thief's Daughter (SBS, 2000)
Soonpoong Clinic (SBS, 1998)
MBC Best Theater Her Flower Pot NO. 1 (MBC, 1998)
School 2 (KBS2, 1999)
Half of You (MBC, 1997)

Awards:
2004 SBS Drama Awards: Most Popular Actor Award for Love Story in Harvard
2004 SBS Drama Awards: Top 10 Stars Award for Love Story in Harvard
2004 Daejong Film Awards: Best New Actor Award for "My Little Bride"
2003 The 20th Korea Best Dresser Award
2003 1st Andre Kim Awards: Best Star Award
2003 WuSan MBC: Best Actor Award for Attic Cat
2003 MBC Drama Awards: Best Actor Award for Attic Cat
2003 MBC Drama Awards: Most Popular Male Actor Award for Attic Cat
2000 Blue Dragon Awards: Best New Actor Award for "Plum Blossom"
1999 KBS Drama Awards: Teen Award for a Newcomer (School 2)

Official Daum Cafe
Minihompy Cyworld
Paran Blog

Can't believe this gentleman was left out. He will come back this year, and I guess there are few people who anticipate this.
Peggy and me included :wub:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 12th, '11, 19:35

If he knocks on my door I'll invite him in.

Loved him since Plum Blossom. Brave young man to do that at such a young age. In fact all the cast were brave in that movie.

I could mention all sorts of little scenes in many things he has done. Not going to because they are precious ...so I'll keep them all to myself ,and possibly Ethlenn will know what I mean. He can act.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Feb 17th, '11, 15:40

Who would let such a guy stand outside in the rain?

Haven't seen his older works but I found him very sweet and entertaining in rom-coms and Plum Blossoms made me appreciate him fully ;) - a brave young man indeed...wonder how he'll get back into business after the army...but I'm sure Ecchan will let us know if there's any news, right?! :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 17th, '11, 16:07

Raweon was one of my first crushes and still have a wide space in my heart. There are 4 men I have seen everything with them, and he's one of those. I don't count Jihun, cause 4 works is not a big deal in watching anyway.
When he's out I'll let you know about any plans.
I just hope it won't be another rom-com, because Plum Blossom and Sunflower proved he can carry a heavy story.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 18th, '11, 19:26

I remember Rae Won from many films and TV dramas. He always works so well on his acting. I think you could say he is someone who improves in quality with each role. When you think of the romp that was 'Attic Cat'..so funny and sweet..and then watch him in 'Say You Love Me' it is incredible to find such depth in such a young actor.
I think that drama never received the accolades it deserved. It is classic theatre not just a TV drama. Wonderful cast and he was right there with the seniors all the way through.

In 'what Star are you From' there was one little scene which impressed me so much. He was with the girl and she was supposed to be reading a book. She ended up on his bed convincing him to lie there for company. His actions and his facial expressions
were exquisite in their tremendous restraint. He really can act for the camera.

BTW I did not enjoy the actress at all. They could have chosen someone a little more 'likable' I think.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 18th, '11, 19:38

For Which Star Are You From? Me neither, but she did really good job in Castaway on The Moon (movie, 2009). Plus, I love this drama not because it's one of my first ever watched, but because all the cast was extremely natural in it. It was as if the camera was filming their everyday lives, reactions, behavior.
I like the way he is so natural. Not many actors can do that.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Feb 22nd, '11, 13:50

Wow, sunflower was really good!
His acting's a bit raw but very charming, no matter which role or genre, I just enjoy watching him. :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 23rd, '11, 22:21

I don't find him 'raw' in acting. I think that is the strongest part of what he does. It is so natural and in a quieter way very like Marlon Brando who almost invented the'natural' style after going to the Actor's studio in NYC. That was where the 'method 'acting was first taught for the stage at first, and then moved on to the screen. The extreme elocution which prevailed before became too stilted. It went on of course, especially in the English theatre. Laurence Olivier and others of his time still made orations onstage ,and had to tone it down for films.
They were used to doing Shakespeare and such. Even a later Richard Burton still carried a touch of the broader style. Mumbling never became the English actors.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens when Kim Rae Won returns to the screen.

The English school taught actors how to do everything such as... ride a horse. Fight a duel. Take a cup of tea and put the cup down on the saucer without any clatter or spills. How to dance a Viennese waltz and how to bow to your partner.How to be manly wearing satins and lace and white wigs... During the studio days in Hollywood they did the same thing and actors had to be prepared for any kind of role or action.
I think that Korean actors have to learn how to fight and duel in a very tough sort of way. The treatment of women is not so delicate. They can pour a drink of soju and spill the drink all over the place, but when it comes to the more delicate matters they are not well prepared. At least it seems that way to me most of the time. The stories are mostly costume and tough roles. The modern aspects are casual and love scenes still very formal. I look forward to the future because many of the actors have such promise. And...one of those promising actors is Kim Rae Won.. 8)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Feb 25th, '11, 20:06

Thanks Peg, an interesting read. I dunno which movie but I do remember one slow scene with Brando - even though I forgot all about the movie, the expression in his eyes is like burnt into my memorie...he was an outstanding one...Made me imagine that time when American ways spilled over to Europe...must have been quite a clash of styles then. ;)

Btw, with raw I meant neither over the top nor wooden - rather unpolished...and the more I watch with him the more charming he seems to me. Only saw some rom-coms with him before and wow I'm surprised how well he does in bad-ass roles.

I am a movie girl afterall. Drama scripts and filming only allows an actor to show a limited range of his skills and TV broadcasting sets boundaries for the topics and styles...so drama looks so much more conservative and repetitive...I keep getting astonished at how different Asian cinema and TV productions are...Hope he'll come back to the silver screen :D

If you have any nice movie recs, please lemme know^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 27th, '11, 00:49

I took the word 'raw' in the wrong meaning. See what you mean now
As for films I will ponder.

As for Kim Rae Won and his acting...If you have not watched the drama 'Tell me you Love me'..I suggest you try it. I was amazed at this one because it was very dramatic and the idea behind the story was rather advanced for a Korean drama. The cast was great and Rae Won was truly able to break your heart in the way he played his role. I especially was impressed with how he grew as the character and toward the end he never reverted back to the happy go lucky lad, because he had been through such a hurricane of emotions and life changes. It still was a good ending in many directions.
I would be interested to know your opinion if you see it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 27th, '11, 01:57

Actually, after all those years and dramas/movies, I have to say that there are not that many actors who can show changes in the character. Changes not rapid and grotesque, but believable. I can say:"But well, of course he changed!". And although I'm a movie girl, I think this is a huge advance of a drama - it allows the actor to show it. Well, of course if actor is up to it.
Raewon is.
Hell, he was even able to show it in Mr. Socrates, which is quite short movie.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 4th, '11, 22:40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Streetca ... ire_(play)

I was researching this play again and also thinking about the film that was made with Brando and Vivien Leigh. Of course the play was the thing, and Brando was amazing. He should have stayed in theatre I think. He had the voice and the power to reach over the footlights to any audience. However, I got to thinking also about Kim Rae Won and wondering when he would be coming back to us. I remembered his performance in 'Tell me that you Love Me' and realised that as he grows a little older he could do a film playing the role of Stanley in 'Streetcar'. He has the right look and he can act almost any role. I would love to see him going for the brutal sensual roaring Stanley. I know he could do it if only they could find the right director in Korea.
Who could play Blanche? Well maybe Jeon Di Jeon (?) the actress who went to Cannes last time. Good actress. Could play delicate slightly mad The sister married to Stanley should be stronger and sexual in the scenes with husband Stanley.
I can just hear Rae Won bellowing 'STELLA' up the stairs.

Is anyone listening in the Rae Won area????????????

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '11, 23:27

:heart: Happy Birthday to this bright man^^ :heart:

aility

Post by aility » Mar 18th, '11, 23:32

hah! I didnt know he had a thread :P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 21st, '11, 09:45

Kim Rae-won and Soo-ae in drama "A Thousand Days Promise"
Actor Kim Rae-won is the leading male character in SBS TV "A Thousand Days' Promise" (previously known as "Forget Me Not") written by Kim Su-hyun and will be returning to home screens in 3 years.
Soo-ae had already been cast for the lead female role for this drama that is to be released on the 26th of September. "A Thousand Days' Promise" is about Seo-yeon (Soo-ae) who is losing her memory and Ji-hyeong who takes responsibility of his love for her.
Kim Rae-won is serving as a public service soldier after his last drama "Gourmet" in 2008 and he will start shooting the drama in August after he is discharged.
Meanwhile, through his management Kim Rae-won said, "I have read lots of movie and drama scripts. As I am returning in 3 years, I had many choices and that much pressure. I don't regret choosing "A Thousand Days' Promise". I am anticipating the first shoot already. I will show you what a man's love is".
hancinema

And just to add: Kim Su-hyun was the writer for Life Is Beautiful recent drama.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 21st, '11, 17:23

OMG I'm afraid to believe it...that's such great news!!! :wub:
And pretty soon already, too. Don't dislike the lead lady and if the writer did Life is Beautiful we already know he's capable of creating nice moods and characters and he's no coward, not afraid of the mothers' association at least :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 23rd, '11, 06:52

AND...gues what? Yoochun's little bro is now in the cast. He will be Su Ae's younger brother.

Can't wait to see Kim Rae Won. It does not seem like three years does it? He casts a large shadow.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 23rd, '11, 07:05

Peggy, really?? That's a great news!!

Oh, I'm so anticipating, can't wait for his presence, as you said, he casts a large shadow. He's not "some actor", he's THE Kim Raewon.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 24th, '11, 00:00

Ethlenn,

I either sent you a PM or an email. I think it was an email.

Grey cells get so dusty in the summer. :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 24th, '11, 07:50

He was released yesterday from the army.
Heppey, heppey, heppey!!

:alcoholic: :cheers: :cheers:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 25th, '11, 14:52

Raewon's first activity is to promote UNICEF.
:wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 23rd, '11, 13:05

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 2nd, '12, 20:56

Plot
An ambitious thirty something musical director (Kim Rae-Won) takes part as a mentor for a musical project. Through an audition they are trying to cast an actor to play King Jungjo. The musical director picks a boy named Young-Kwang through a blind test involving listening to just his singing. The musical director is surprised to learn that the young boy is a Filipino-Korean boy. The director becomes impressed by the boy's passion for music and also his family history. The boy is cast for the character of Yoo Il-Han. The director first uses the boy for his own success, but later changes his ways ...
Notes
Filming begins March, 2012.
Early working Korean title was 드림 "Dream," but then changed to 드림,마이 리틀 히어로 "Dream, My Little Hero".
Cast
Kim Rae-Won - Musical director
Jo An - Assistant director
from AsianMediaWiki
Movie on multiculturalism basically. Good.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 4th, '12, 08:31

Ethlenn,
Off topic. sorry but I sent you Nureyev by email. Not sure if I repeated myself. Hell to get old.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 6th, '12, 15:52

Hi dear, yes it's double but it's OK, this time I remembered to send it to my sister too, so thank you^^ :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 14th, '12, 23:08

Good news re Kim Rae Won and the subject matter of his latest work. I notice a few things lately that show opening up of social questions in Korea. good thing.

Also see mentions recently in various places about the way the Korean agencies make their groups work like slaves. Mentions of no sleep and not anough to eat and having to either practice for hours or rehearse for hours or perform for venues all over. Lots of road travel which is when they try to sleep. This is even part of the dialogues in the latest 'Dream High'.

These greedy agencies are pushing their kids too far and too fast out all over into international waters. There will be a backlash to this 'Hallyou' which is only called by the Koreans. Undercurrent right now but could become dislike and the actor/singer/dancers could bear the brunt....not the agencies who have all the money.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 19th, '12, 14:14

Happy Birthday!! (again, I bet he reads here)