fear of negative consequences

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
uglijimus

fear of negative consequences

Post by uglijimus » Jul 26th, '11, 02:39

I've been thinking about uploading some new Lincolns here, but I have to admit after reading
about some people being thrown in jail after using some Japanese P2P software I am a bit hesitant to say the least.

Has anyone here ever been threatened, received a cease and desist letter, etc.? I'm curious.

thanks

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 26th, '11, 02:55

Do you live in japan? Do you record and encode yourself?

If you dont then its fine.

uglijimus

Post by uglijimus » Jul 26th, '11, 14:57

I don't live in Japan. And I am not recording, but I am extracting the stream from another website and then posting that.

just curious, what makes you confident that nobody here will be caught?

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 26th, '11, 23:09

Because Japan has only ever arrested people in Japan who were recording and uploading things personally. Who are more of a problem then the people downloading or resharing. And, while international copyright exists and I think Japan is one of the countries participating, the rest of us are out of Japan's jurisdiction. I believe they would have to formally request whatever country you are from to serve you for them. And they actually have to ask because why would our country care about another nation's media and money loss when they are already focused on their own stuff being pirated?

To put it simply, you would be too small a fish to bother going through so much effort and money to catch.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jul 27th, '11, 09:52

Sharing of exising files is not the major problem.

The japanese right holder primary fight against the organized and private import of unlicenced DVD. Because they want to sell own DVDs.
People recording and uploading current drama are the second group they try to catch. They get no money from this action, but big media news frighten off other filesharing group.

If i live in japan, i would be carefull.

uglijimus

Post by uglijimus » Jul 27th, '11, 15:05

makes sense, thanks!

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Jul 27th, '11, 15:57

Japan has no reason to care about television shows being shared here because the market for them is non-existent in the West. Anime does have commercial importance here, but it doesn't look like much has been done to stop its piracy either. NyaaTorrents, BakaBT and countless fansub groups seem to have no problems operating in plain sight.

I think it's only the huge multinational corporations with ties to the US government that really bother to go after pirates.

uglijimus

Post by uglijimus » Jul 27th, '11, 16:11

I guess I was a little worried because one time I put up a subtitled London Hearts on youtube (which I did not create, only subtitled from a torrent I pulled from here) and I received a copyright violation warning from Youtube.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 27th, '11, 16:42

Nothing to worry about :-)

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 27th, '11, 21:48

Streaming and torrents are different. Japan has been on a streaming rampage, but that is because all it takes to deal with that is a short email to youtube. And there really is no consistence beyond potentially loosing your youtube account. The only way to stop torrents is to stop initial torrent uploaders... which are the people in Japan anyway.