[Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Should we move on to a newer video format?

Move from AVI to MKV
8
35%
Keep AVI as standard format
15
65%
 
Total votes: 23

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

[Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Postby RisingXun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:46 am

would fansubbers/encoder want to change the old *.avicontainers and move on to *.mkv??

i think this would be much better than hardsubbing the videos because it wouldnt take much time to just add a subtitle to the video using virtualdubmod (you would just need to direct stream the videos)

mkv also supports H.264 and Ac3 == good quality & small file size

i know many people prefer using .avi since its been around so quite a while...but thats the problem...to encode using a x264 codec into a avi is hacked...sometimes i get problems playing it. the good thing about the .mkv container is that it can support all multimedia files.
im just saying...using this container would have many benefits (chapters..etc) :D

++i would want to hear your thoughts about this topic..++

User avatar
Ore.Sama
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:02 am
Location: UAE

Postby Ore.Sama » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:06 am

i did download an anime once in mkv format, faced a bit of problems @ first n did some search until i found the right codecs to play it... so i guess there's no prob with it
but I prefer stickin to avi... coz change usually lead to problems, u'll find many users having problems playig the file n it'll take a while till every1 gets used to it.
+ i'm not sure if u can write a mkv file directly on a dvd... can u?? :scratch:

Well ya maybe it's easier from subber's point of view, but i think avi is more handy... besides, i dnt see any problem with the Avi (divx) format... it has a decent quality.

YaGaMi82
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:49 am
Location: U.K

Postby YaGaMi82 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:59 pm

I think you should have a 3rd option on the poll saying that "You don't mind either format".

I remember when subbers started releasing anime on MKV and OGM I was against it until like Ore-Sama I got the right codecs and a new laptop which played the files without any probs. Although I still archive most of my stuff in AVI I don't mind either.

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

Postby RisingXun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:58 pm

YaGaMi82 wrote:I think you should have a 3rd option on the poll saying that "You don't mind either format".

I remember when subbers started releasing anime on MKV and OGM I was against it until like Ore-Sama I got the right codecs and a new laptop which played the files without any probs. Although I still archive most of my stuff in AVI I don't mind either.


i have no idea how to add another option after i posted...(kinda new to phpbb) i dont see anywhere to add that 3rd option to the poll

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

Postby RisingXun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Ore.Sama wrote:i did download an anime once in mkv format, faced a bit of problems @ first n did some search until i found the right codecs to play it... so i guess there's no prob with it
but I prefer stickin to avi... coz change usually lead to problems, u'll find many users having problems playig the file n it'll take a while till every1 gets used to it.
+ i'm not sure if u can write a mkv file directly on a dvd... can u?? :scratch:

Well ya maybe it's easier from subber's point of view, but i think avi is more handy... besides, i dnt see any problem with the Avi (divx) format... it has a decent quality.


Yess!! there are programs that are now able to support .mkv format to be directly convert to dvd such as ConvertXtoDvd and more here

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:28 pm

Subbers are interested in having the largest potential audience possible for their work. Currently that means one divx5 video stream (with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1) and one mp3/ac3 audio stream in an avi container. I would be most happy with h264/ac3/ass in an mkv myself, but that's still maybe two years away (because most computers worldwide are still too pokey to play h264), and something even better might come along before then.

Remember, we have a worldwide audience, and many fans can't afford hot boxes, so consider your peers around the globe. Fansubbing is one of those areas where thinking globally and acting accordingly is the only option.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 3217
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Postby groink » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Students in their late teens to early 20s.
- Little or no money to spend outside of necessities.
- Uses equipment owned by someone else, such as parents.
- Do not have admin access to PC, or isn't allowed to make any changes.
- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.
- Level of drama fan is beginner - has very little computing savvy.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

Postby RisingXun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 pm

groink wrote:Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Students in their late teens to early 20s.
- Little or no money to spend outside of necessities.
- Uses equipment owned by someone else, such as parents.
- Do not have admin access to PC, or isn't allowed to make any changes.
- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.
- Level of drama fan is beginner - has very little computing savvy.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink


if this is the case...then the .mkv containers are perfect because it runs much faster than the .avi containeres and use a bit lower cpu usage

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:55 pm

RisingXun wrote:
groink wrote:Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Students in their late teens to early 20s.
- Little or no money to spend outside of necessities.
- Uses equipment owned by someone else, such as parents.
- Do not have admin access to PC, or isn't allowed to make any changes.
- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.
- Level of drama fan is beginner - has very little computing savvy.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink


if this is the case...then the .mkv containers are perfect because it runs much faster than the .avi containeres and use a bit lower cpu usage


Damn, why does every n00b turn out to be a troll these days?

User avatar
gryzze
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5074
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:39 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby gryzze » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:59 pm

I wonder what tomorrow's topic will be... Lately we've been through codecs, filenames and now containers.

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

Postby RisingXun » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:03 pm

pokute wrote:
RisingXun wrote:
groink wrote:Just a thought... Drama viewers should not have to work hard in order to watch dramas off D-Addicts. Assume the worst - a user who uses something like Windows 98 on a Pentium. In computing, you should never allow documents like video to drive you into purchasing new equipment just to run it. As a content provider, and just like Pokute mentioned, your goal is to reach the masses - and NOT attempt to push new technology and expect people to adapt.

Once again, drama fans are simple people. The demographics I've seen with D-Addicts are:

- Students in their late teens to early 20s.
- Little or no money to spend outside of necessities.
- Uses equipment owned by someone else, such as parents.
- Do not have admin access to PC, or isn't allowed to make any changes.
- Uses bandwidth that is limiting - either in bandwidth or port usage via firewall.
- Equipment is not kept up to the latest operating system, codecs, patches, etc.
- Level of drama fan is beginner - has very little computing savvy.

These demographics are far less than, for example, a Japanese anime fan. Please keep these points in mind.

--- groink


if this is the case...then the .mkv containers are perfect because it runs much faster than the .avi containeres and use a bit lower cpu usage


Damn, why does every n00b turn out to be a troll these days?


just for some information READ PLZ

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Postby pokute » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:16 pm

If you can ignore 99% of what people tell you, I can ignore 100% of what you tell me. I beat you by 1%, so give up, I win. You can't ignore me 101%... Haha!

Man, it's so hard to get down to this level... My knuckles are taking a beating dragging on the asphalt like this.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4491
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: missin' hawaii

Postby jholic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:45 pm

i fixed the poll for you.

i personally prefer the current avi format since i like the convenience of moving them to my creative zen video player or burning to disk to watch on my dvp642.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

saigo_x
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:14 pm

Postby saigo_x » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:21 am

I agree with pokute, you shoudl try to reach the widest possible audience. Eventually everyone will switch but there's no need to rush.

RisingXun wrote:just for some information READ PLZ

I've read that before as I use CCCP. I've also downloaded both the avi and mkv versions of the same release and the mkv uses more CPU. :roll Although I agree if you are gonna use x.264 it should be mkv not avi.

RisingXun
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 am

Re: [Suggestion] Out with the old in with the New??!!

Postby RisingXun » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:38 pm

How about an update? Lol


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest