How many language do you speak?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
noobee

Postby noobee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:53 pm

i speak only 2 languages
English and Japanese
This user's account has been suspended. Because the user has ignore the mod's warnings to not reply with short useless messages, just so a spam link will show up on all his reply messages.

i12haf629

Postby i12haf629 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 pm

english and chinese... learned spanish in high school for 4 years but cant really speak it so well

xxemz19xx

Postby xxemz19xx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:53 am

I speak 2 English and Welsh.

I did learn abit of french and German at school so I think I'd be alright on holiday in those countries but I wouldn't say I was fluent in them.

I also took some Japanese lessons but again only could use on holiday ^^

Sikono

Postby Sikono » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:02 am

I speak English. I speak some Korean since I live in Korean Family, as well as some Japanese. I'm also learning Spanish from School. So if I add them all up, with 1 being fully understanding of the language, It would become something like... 3. :D

tavon1

Postby tavon1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:07 am

English, Little French, Little Japanes and some chinese

Cry5tal

Postby Cry5tal » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:44 am

French (mother tongue), English (learned alone a few years back), currently learning Japanese for 3-4 months. After I've learned enough Japanese to understand and be understood I intend to start learning Korean.

andromaque

Postby andromaque » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 pm

I speak french (mother language), german (fluently), english (hum... not so fluently and with a very bad accent :whistling: ), a little japanese. I also learned latin and greek (ancient) but it's not spoken, so yeah I guess it doesn't count^^

sp1dergirl

Postby sp1dergirl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:13 am

1. Spanish: first language. I think in Spanish. I grew up speaking/using the language.
2. English: studied it in elementary through high school as a second language. In college used it as the main language. Currently it is the language that I use the most, whether spoken or written.
3. Chinese: my dad is Taiwanese, so I speak to him in Mandarin. Also I went to Chinese school during weekends for many years when I was younger. I can write and read a little.
4. Cantonese (dialect): my mom is from Hong Kong, so I was forced to speak Cantonese. I started to watch HK series with my mom when I was a little girl and I kinda liked them, so I've learned a lot of the dialect by watching TV. As for the reading and writing, I think it's harder than Chinese. Written Cantonese is not the same as spoken Cantonese.

***5. French: took French for 3 years in high school...but don't remember much of it, so I don't count it as a language that I know.

Currently, I'm trying to improve my Chinese reading and writing skills.

moomooray

Postby moomooray » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:42 am

I Speak.. Chinese/English/Hokgah Or However You Spell It . =P

SANOKAME

Postby SANOKAME » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:15 am

Swedish, English and currently studying Japanese :)
Visit my blog at www.sanokame.com :thumright:

sarasa36

Postby sarasa36 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:20 am

I speak four: spanish, french, english and arabis.
And I'm trying to learn more... :P

nightkid5

Postby nightkid5 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 am

mandarin is my first language since i'm from chinese family..and then english(second), malay(second), indonesia(note that indonesia and malay have much different), cantonese(bad dialect), hokkien(the most fluent language after mandarin...well that's 6 for all......

munchkinz

Postby munchkinz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:06 pm

i can onli speak 3

first language is english, second is cantonese and third mandarin...but i can onli listen and speak it...am realli bad at reading and writing chinese..and i learnt simplfy than traditional chinese.

would like to pick up jap cause i did it in primary school...but wouldnt of listen...mayb some day pick up korean...but who knows.

Peachy_Pie

Postby Peachy_Pie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 am

English first (born in the US)

Tagalog (parents speak it..can understand at least 80% but have a hard time making my own sentences ToT )

Japanese (took lessons/study abroad...my speaking and listening is very good, but as for reading, I need to study more XD...1 of those people who have to read manga outloud or else they don't understand, how sad--- )

Mandarin (just started classes now, listening/speaking is horrible but can read maybe 45-55% of written Chinese from self study/Japanese kanji)

What makes me angry is that my parents also speak Cantonese, Hokkien, and Mandarin, yet only spoke to me in English.. >_<

gamercloud

Postby gamercloud » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 pm

First Language: Portuguese
Second Language: English

I'm starting to learn nihongo or japanese.

d-fan

Postby d-fan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 pm

I know 6 languages because it's actually quite normal to be bilingual/multilingual where I live.

I can understand/speak (fluently)/write/read: French, German, Luxembourgian, English

I can speak/understand: Vietnamese (both my parents are Vietnamese)

And I'm currently learning Spanish. I've been learning french and German ever since I was 5 years old, been learning English for 3 years now, took up Spanish last year because I had to, speak Vietnamese with my parents and Luxembourgian with my friends. :)

CamMme

Postby CamMme » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm half Chinese and half Viet. But speak Cantonese at home, mandarin and Vietnamese with friends.

Japanese and Korean, some of my friends only speaks that cuz they are form Japan n Korea. (But still got alot to learn from them)

Live in Sweden so I speak Swedish. English and German(could choose between a few languages) = must in school.

Trying to learn Polski ^^ as well, cuz my bf's from Poland. ^^ Really love languages.

GaussAlgorithmus

Postby GaussAlgorithmus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Mother tongue: German
Second language (learned in school): English

I think that's enought for me, I don't really need more, even if it would be quite nice to learn another language...but I'm much to lazy and besides that, I'Ve too much other stuff to do.

little_deviI

Postby little_deviI » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:14 pm

for me i speak 3 languages.....first english, then canto and french

MizzyJ

Postby MizzyJ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 am

Well I speak English, Cantonese, and Creole
A little of Mandarin and Spanish.

Creole and no I'm not Jamaican or w/e no offence... Lived in Belize, Central America
and know that language ever since a kid, and even growing up, still speak it.

selma

Postby selma » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:30 am

I speak English, Dutch , German , Turkish and a few words Korean ^___^ ( thanks to Kdrama) and a lot words and sentences Japanese (thanks to anime/jdrama)

OnlyXainz

Postby OnlyXainz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:35 pm

i speak english, mandarin and a bit of taiwanese :D
March Hare: She doesn''t know what an unbirthday is.

Shunima

Postby Shunima » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:56 pm

native tongue is german, then english quite fluent, i guess.
French and Spanish for ordinary conversation
japanese still learning, but enough knowlegde to read every-day things with a good dictionary for kanji (just know around 800 so far, i guess). speaking is okay, listening and understanding quite difficult. unfortunately much theoretical learning so far...

Kiryuayame

Postby Kiryuayame » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:53 pm

i speak fluently dutch and english and a bit japanese thanks to Anime and Jdrama's XD

natascha89

Postby natascha89 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:12 pm

I speak german, russian and english

Currently Watching::wub: Mei-chan no Shitsuji :wub: Playful Kiss, Gloria :wub:

konaxis

Postby konaxis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 pm

chineese and english!

vivilp182

Postby vivilp182 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 pm

My mother language is portuguese. I know english pretty well. I can understand a lot of spanish, but speak not so much. I know a bit of japanese (actually it's kinda frustating how slow my progress has been) and I'm beggining german....

zerch

Postby zerch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:17 am

Wow. It's interesting to know what nationality everyone is. I would have otherwise thought everyone was Asian, or at least Chinese.

My native language is English with a little comprehension of conversational Cantonese, and Beginner's Level Mandarin.

bluebuzzybug

Postby bluebuzzybug » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

well, my main language is Cantonese and English...
i speak other languages like Malay and Mandarin...
well, i hope to learn Japanese and Korean
I'm such addict to these countries.....
:P

Shirogane69

Postby Shirogane69 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm bilingual Hungarian and English. Although my spelling sucks in both languages. I've been learning Italian for a year now (school requirment) and I just started learning japanese (it took forever to get my parents to let me take lessons). I also learned spanish for half a year when i was about 8 (i forgot everything)

riceavocado

Postby riceavocado » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 am

I only speak English fluenty, I know some spanish and a little Japanese, though I'm planning to master Japanese soon.

-YiJern-

Postby -YiJern- » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:26 pm

English
Cantonese
Malay
Mandarin
^That's because I come from Malaysia~ ^^- Multi-lingual and Multi-racial country! heheh..

I know some Japanese and Korean. (Thanks to the influence of dramas and animes.)

Ayamari

Postby Ayamari » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 pm

first language is English; then i've been taking Japanese for 4 years (finally at my last semester of school!), and I took Chinese for one year. My Chinese is horrible though. Haha.

BokoWoShinjite

Postby BokoWoShinjite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:36 pm

I speak, write and read two languages fluently; Dutch and English.
I am currently learning Japanese slowly by myself (and of course, the J-Drama's).

kuro570

Postby kuro570 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 pm

-YiJern- wrote:English
Cantonese
Malay
Mandarin
^That's because I come from Malaysia~ ^^- Multi-lingual and Multi-racial country! heheh..

I know some Japanese and Korean. (Thanks to the influence of dramas and animes.)

Dang, do you ever get some of the languages mixed up? Like me after studying Japanese my English suffered a little and thats only 1 language compared to your 4 :cry:
VSS: Warui Yatsura

Chen Yisi

Postby Chen Yisi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Fluently: English, Spanish, French
Can understand but not answer: Italian, Catalan, sometimes Romanian
Learnt: bits of Italian by myself and Mandarin for 3 years
Currently studying: Japanese

The strange thing is that I was born in South Korean but I can't speak the language xD

I plan to learn Hindi later and maybe Thai.

Domino7134

Postby Domino7134 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 pm

English
German
Japanese
Mandarin (learning)
Spanish (learning)

I was born in the US. I've lived/studied abroad in Germany, Japan, and China. I want to learn Korean and Dutch as well :)

saridea

Postby saridea » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I'm studying French and Japanese. I can also understand/read Danish and Norweigan, since the Scandinavian languages are pretty similar :-)

Sajenn

Postby Sajenn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:45 pm

dunno if I already replied to this thread ... xD

I speak german, dutch and english. German and english fluently (I guess) and dutch will be my main language in 2 years (study abroad)

I also learned japanese and french for about 1 year and I can say about 2-3 words but read/listen ... a bit.
Some of my friends are from russia and I understand some words thanks to them.

aznsleepyhead

Postby aznsleepyhead » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:07 am

i speak two dialects of chinese cantonese and mandarin(not fluent i can only understand it and not really speak it).My second language is english and then i'm taking spanish and i'm also taking latin right now so i guess 5 languages but i'm only fluent in two of the five languages

xionmao

Postby xionmao » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:45 am

I was born in France so I can speak french and my parents are chinese. I can speak chinese but I can't read or watch chinese tv.
I have learn German for 6 yeras, English for 4 years and Japanese for 2 years.

Cerberusia

Postby Cerberusia » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:05 am

English is my first language, since I've been brought up in the UK (England, to be precise). I've learnt French since I was I was about 7 or 8, and although I'm not fluent, I can speak it conversationally and can understand a lot (I read French novels a fair bit). Then there's Spanish, which I've learnt since I was about 10 or 11- reasonable, but again I can understand a lot more than I can speak. That helps me to understand some written Portugese, and my knowledge of Romance languages, coupled with frequent trips to Italy helps me to understand basic Italian, though I can barely speak any. I did German for three years so I can understand some, though I've largely forgotten how to speak it.

In regards to Classical languages, I've learnt Latin since I was 11, and I'm finding it fairly easy. I began Ancient Greek last September (just started doing GCSEs), and that's progressing well- because it's only a two year course to get us to the required standard, we're moving pretty fast. It helps that there's a small class- me (female) and five boys. :lol

Finally, there are some languages where I know maybe a couple of words/phrases and nothing else, like Urdu, Danish, Dutch, Hindi, Arabic and Chinese (Cantonese). It obviously cannot be said that I 'know' any of these languages, though I do intend to learn some of them.

At the moment I'm learning French, Spanish, Latin and Ancient Greek at school, and I'm teaching myself Japanese and Russian (the Japanese is much better than the Russian, mind).

I intend to learn Korean, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Hindi and anything else that takes my fancy (I was brought up in a very linguistically-minded family, and I love learning languages!).

LilyJade

Postby LilyJade » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 am

I'm French with Vietnamese backgrounds so I'm fluent in French and Vietnamese, even though my Vietnamese writing is not that good.

I'm fluent in English, I love speaking English!

I'm refreshing my Spanish now, I need to learn more vocabulary.

I learnt Latin during 5 years. It's beautiful but I don't remember a lot, too bad.

I've just begun to learn Japanese and I intend to learn Korean!

infundibuliform

Postby infundibuliform » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:52 am

Zururatu wrote:
Catt101 wrote:what would you say is the easiest to learn?

My personal opinion is that Japanese is easier to tackle once you have another language down. For me it was easier for pronounciation because i found there was a lot of similarities between french and Japanese pronounciations, especially the "r" sound, although slightly different, they both involve rolling the sound with your tongue, if you've never done this before it's hard to get.

As for learning french, I started when I was 6 so it's hard to remember a lot of the specific details, but I do know that it was a lot easier having already known english,(obviously haha) because both languages come from latin originally, and you can see a lot of the similarities in english words to french words sometimes, it made memorising a lot easier.

English is not Latin based. It's West Germanic. It's in the same family as German and Dutch, as well as Yiddish. While English shares vocabulary with Latin languages, it is not related to them because of grammar. Grammar is more complicated than vocabulary, so this is were distinction in languages is made. That's why it's more difficult for an English speaking person to learn French rather than a Spanish speaking person. The English speaking person needs to get used to new grammar rules (ei, verb conjugation), while the Spanish speaking person really just needs to learn new vocab (ei, hacer is the same as faire).

I know some Spanish and French, and I'm teaching myself some German. I want to minor in Japanese come college! :D

geodimus

How many language do you speak?

Postby geodimus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 am

Fluently: Bulgarian, English & Russian
Can understand, but not answer: Ukrainian
Currently studying: Korean by myself

kaheiyeh

Postby kaheiyeh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 am

I'm fluent in English and Cantonese. Don't really know which one is my first language though, because I grew up learning both concurrently.

Currently learning Mandarin and Japanese at university. I go to mainland China every year for about 2 months so my Mandarin knowledge slowly increases each time I go back. Japanese is just through pure teaching at university and from dramas and such. Planning to go to exchange to Japan in 2010 though!

freelife

Postby freelife » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Fluent: English, German, Russian, Japanese, Spanish.
Can understand: Catalan, Italian, Portuguese.
Can understand bits: Korean, French, Latin
Smile... Be what you want to be and act how you want to... ^ They do... :D

**Mejoka**

Postby **Mejoka** » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Arabic and English
and working on my Japanese

shitnoodles

Postby shitnoodles » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 am

English, Chinese, Teochew(more of dialect hee =x) and Thai

Now stuggling with learning korean online =.="V

Tenou

Postby Tenou » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 am

Fluent in Swedish,Hungarian & Swedish.
My Danish is almost fluent.
My Japanese is getting better for each, studying it for 4 years now.
Learned German for 5 years,Spanish for 1 year.
My goal in the future is to learn Korean,already started a little.

matsuoyumi

Postby matsuoyumi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:13 am

first language , malay
2nd english and 3rd japanese ( still learning )

Yurga

Postby Yurga » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am

Only two - my native lithuanian and english~
Well, ok i understand a little russian
(i can read it coz i know russian letters but usually
i don't understand what i am reading~ ^__^)
And some sentences or words in japanese~

Louis__Armand

Postby Louis__Armand » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:12 am

My native language is Spanish, I'm studying English Literature in University but I'm not that fluent yet.. I'm taking french too, because I love it =D.. And I know a bit of Japanese, and trying with korean.. Anyways this is my first semester in Uni so I hope when the year ends I'm able to speak french :D!~

AiyaAi

Postby AiyaAi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:43 am

My native language is Dutch, I'm fluent in English, I also speak French and German, and learned a lot of Japanese from drama's and anime, but I can't read or write it.
So that makes 5 =]

circuitlovers

Postby circuitlovers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm

My first language is English. Currently learning Spanish. I know the alphabet of Asl (american sign language) - if that counts lol. and I understand Malayam.

:thumright:

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Postby The Chaos » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:32 pm

I Speak Arabic and English and can understand some Korean and Japanese :mrgreen:

jancsika

Postby jancsika » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:19 pm

hungarian, english, and a little bit in french.

-YiJern-

Postby -YiJern- » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

kuro570 wrote:
-YiJern- wrote:English
Cantonese
Malay
Mandarin

Dang, do you ever get some of the languages mixed up? Like me after studying Japanese my English suffered a little and thats only 1 language compared to your 4 :cry:

Not really, in fact, we actually mix different languages into a sentence when we speak but we understand perfectly what the other person's saying. :lol

KiwiHoshi

Postby KiwiHoshi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:48 am

I speak 4! But I'm only fluent in one. Heh. :P

complexfest

Postby complexfest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am

Greek (well mother tongue and all)
English (studying it in the university)
I can't say I speak French but I guess I could if I studied it again a bit more.Spanish I am a bit better and japanese I keep studying and hoping to improve to a decent level at some point.

Abdsuda

Postby Abdsuda » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:17 am

English and (the most helpful, lol) 日本語. Former is my first language, the latter my second. I'm thinking of learning Korean next, but I shudder at the thought of going through something like learning Kanji again... pure torture, for many years!!

drupayola

Postby drupayola » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:12 am

I speak Hungarian, German, Russian, Chinese
Little: English, Polish, French

chris_hz

Postby chris_hz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:36 am

Hello guys, i'm new here !

I can speak many languages thanks to my parents! They immigrated from south-east asia very early to France.
So I had the chance to born in Paris and grew up there.
At home, we speak Cantonese, Thai, Lao, Vietnamese and another dialect from China. (!)
I just can speak fluently these languages but dunno how to read or write (except chinese)

I can speak english as you can see, and often travel to USA visiting family.
Now i'm working in China and speak fluently mandarin.

Also I learned German for 4 years but honestly i just remember how to read haha!

Now with some friends, i'm beginning to learn Korean...

I'm looking for some people who wish to make an exchange language, it will be great!

See you around .

C.

Puppet Princess

Postby Puppet Princess » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:41 am

Abdsuda wrote:I'm thinking of learning Korean next, but I shudder at the thought of going through something like learning Kanji again... pure torture, for many years!!

Modern Korean uses a really simple phonetic system. Kanji, or in this case, hanja, is pretty much outdated and would probably never come up in normal life. Maybe a scholar would use hanja while doing... scholarly things. lol I think newspaper headlines also sometime use hanja when the title is really ambiguous.

ersby

Postby ersby » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:54 am

Puppet Princess wrote:
Abdsuda wrote:I'm thinking of learning Korean next, but I shudder at the thought of going through something like learning Kanji again... pure torture, for many years!!

Modern Korean uses a really simple phonetic system. Kanji, or in this case, hanja, is pretty much outdated and would probably never come up in normal life. Maybe a scholar would use hanja while doing... scholarly things. lol I think newspaper headlines also sometime use hanja when the title is really ambiguous.

Whenever I saw Korean, I always wondered if those were kanji or something like letters or hiragana so I did a bit of research and I have to say that the Korean writing system is the best I've seen of any language! It's so efficient! And pretty easy to pick up.

dattebayoXD

Postby dattebayoXD » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:57 am

My mother language is lithuanian.
Second language: English
Third language: German
Fourth: Japanese

I guess 4? XD
ImageImage

Nemi79

Postby Nemi79 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, of course my main laguage is Norwegian.

Besides that I speak English, German, Freanch and Spanish.

I am currently learning Japanese:)

Llyss

Postby Llyss » Tue May 03, 2011 1:39 pm

I speak English, Spanish and German - studied Latin for seven years - and now I am studying Chinese and Japanese. :)

Silverman

Postby Silverman » Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 pm

I speak English, German, Russian, Ukrainian, Kazak, Latin
I can understand parts of Swahili and Finnish.

Orion1986

Postby Orion1986 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Don't remember if I answered this, but here goes.

Mother tongue: Greek
Second best: English
Quite good, but not great: Finnish

And that's all. I'm good with languages but never had the time or money to get into them. I would like to learn japanese and korean at some point.

mizathedark

Postby mizathedark » Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Spanish English, learning Japanese and Thai.

fidelxxx

Postby fidelxxx » Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Polish (some dialects also), English, German, some Czech.
I also understand Spanish and Italian but I don't speak them so it doesn't count.
When I'm drunk I can communicate with people from almost all Eastern European countries.

ji-nyeoung

Postby ji-nyeoung » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 am

English, Cantonese, Mandarin and Japanese --> fluent (I can read and write as well) =)
So, right now, I know 4.
Since I have become Korean crazy lately, my next step is Korean =P
I'm so lucky that I pick up on languages quite easily <3

electricheart

Postby electricheart » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 pm

I currently speak English, Spanish, and Japanese. I'm learning Korean atm though.
Any study buddies? :D

Shuushoku

Postby Shuushoku » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I can speak French and English, and I'm learning to speak Japanese and Spanish.