How many language do you speak?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
cebusnacker

Postby cebusnacker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:12 pm

lol haha I think I am a failure in life. I only know one language, English. I guess I know like a little i mean a little of Pilipino. I lived there for a while, but like pretty much forgot everything. Right know I am trying to relearn Pilipino and learn Japanese. LOL This is probably really sad, but I think I am getting farther in learning Japanese than my 'native language' so to speak. :roll :lol :lol I think once I become conversational in Japanese I am going to try to learn Korean LOL Thats probably going to be a long time from now. :lol

arabian

Postby arabian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:13 pm

princess_jime wrote:Spanish is my mother tongue, but I gotta say, it's so true that saying that says:
Latinamerica is bonded and divided by language
I should say I speak venezuelan and chilean because even though both are "spanish" they are soooooo different it's like speaking different languages, I swear :lol
My brother once asked his french teacher about her travels around latinamerica, she said she learned spanish in spain, had to learn it all over again in mexico, and was now in the same process here in venezuela!

Anyway, I'm also fluent (speak, read and write) in english but only because of my own personal affair with the language...
I studied french, latin and ancient greek, but it's been so long I've forgotten everything.

And I'm also trying to study japanese on my own, due to monetary issues. :mrgreen:
Like everyone else, thanks to my d-addiction, I can pick up a few words here and there of mandarin and korean, but no biggie.

You know that my first time I know that spanish language is defferent between the
the countries that they speak it
:-)
Taking break for quite a long time.. :-)

kyosak

Postby kyosak » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:24 pm

First language: Korean
Second language: English

I'm studying Japanese at school.
Currently watching: Nothing
Current favorite: LIFE
All-time favorite: Sekachuu

SinFan

Postby SinFan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm

First: Dutch.... *
sounds very rudy for foreigners though xD weird language..quite hard to learn because of the confusing gramma => the sentence constructions are weird =P*

Second: I guess English
Don't know where I learn it...maybe because I watch too much Tv =P

Third: Chinese => Canto
but my chinese seriously sucks...my parents are Chinese, they can also speak Indonesian..but I can't..
I started to learn Chinese when I was 7/8...So I talk like a Dutch person trying to speak Chinese T_T

I learnt some French and German at school..Guess if I would try to pick it up...I would be able to speak it fluently in a few months ^_^

I would really love to learn Korean <33 That's my main focus now..
So after this last year of high school I will focus myself on Korean <33

But anyone interested in learning Dutch ?? it's a weird language though =P

noemiefann

Postby noemiefann » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:33 pm

i heard that there isn't any grammar in dutch is it right?
i'm vietnamese but now live in France!
i speak vietnamese best, french and english fluently and just debutant in spanish

arabian

Postby arabian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:33 pm

SinFan wrote:
But anyone interested in learning Dutch ?? it's a weird language though =P

I don't think so cuz I have friend she learn dutch cuz she'll study there so sge tell me that it's really hard language to learn.. :mrgreen:

SinFan

Postby SinFan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:48 pm

@ noemiefann
haha..
there is gramma, unfortunately =((
But it just doesn't make any sense...it's confusing..
but you also got the choice to build up a sentence for example...
it got its pro's and con's XD

@ arabian
hehe =P well if you want to give it a try ^^ just tell me =D

princess_jime

Postby princess_jime » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:50 pm

arabian wrote:
You know that my first time I know that spanish language is defferent between the
the countries that they speak it :-)

Hahahaha! yeap, it's like that, here are some examples I've ripped off of wikipedia:

Some words can be different... Most Spanish speakers can recognize other Spanish forms, even in places where they are not commonly used, but Spaniards generally do not recognise specifically American usages. For example, Spanish mantequilla, aguacate and albaricoque (respectively, "butter", "avocado", "apricot") correspond to manteca, palta, and damasco, respectively, in Argentina and Chile. The everyday Spanish words coger (to catch, get, or pick up), pisar (to step on) and concha (seashell) are considered extremely rude in parts of Latin America, where the meaning of coger and pisar is also "to have sex" and concha means "vagina". The Puerto Rican word for "bobby pin" (pinche) is an obscenity in Mexico, and in Nicaragua simply means stingy. Other examples include taco, which means "swearword" in Spain but is known to the rest of the world as the Mexican foodstuff. Pija in many countries of Latin America is a slang and informal word for penis, while in Spain the word signifies "posh girl" or "snobby". Coche, which means car in Spain, means pig in Guatemala[citation needed] while carro means car in L.A. and "cart" in Spain.

That's so funny I can't even tell you.
Or let's say: the pronoun "you are" in venezuelan would be "tu eres" which is normal spanish, in chilean it would be "vo' soi' " or "tu eri' " (the ' stands for an s that should be there but is never pronunced), and in argentinian it would be "vos sos"...

ayekachan06

I speak four Languges

Postby ayekachan06 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:52 pm

I speak English Japanese, fluently. and basic Korean and Chinese LoL :D :cheers:

Carbon Dixoide

Postby Carbon Dixoide » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:54 pm

lol err chinese .. (mandarin)
and english...
i hope i can find ppl who can tutor me jap/kr.

arabian

Postby arabian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:59 pm

SinFan wrote:@ noemiefann
haha..
there is gramma, unfortunately =((
But it just doesn't make any sense...it's confusing..
but you also got the choice to build up a sentence for example...
it got its pro's and con's XD

@ arabian
hehe =P well if you want to give it a try ^^ just tell me =D

Why not?? :mrgreen:

arabian

Postby arabian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:01 pm

princess_jime wrote:
arabian wrote:
the countries that they speak it :-)

Hahahaha! yeap, it's like that, here are some examples I've ripped off of wikipedia:

Some words can be different... Most Spanish speakers can recognize other Spanish forms, even in places where they are not commonly used, but Spaniards generally do not recognise specifically American usages. For example, Spanish mantequilla, aguacate and albaricoque (respectively, "butter", "avocado", "apricot") correspond to manteca, palta, and damasco, respectively, in Argentina and Chile. The everyday Spanish words coger (to catch, get, or pick up), pisar (to step on) and concha (seashell) are considered extremely rude in parts of Latin America, where the meaning of coger and pisar is also "to have sex" and concha means "vagina". The Puerto Rican word for "bobby pin" (pinche) is an obscenity in Mexico, and in Nicaragua simply means stingy. Other examples include taco, which means "swearword" in Spain but is known to the rest of the world as the Mexican foodstuff. Pija in many countries of Latin America is a slang and informal word for penis, while in Spain the word signifies "posh girl" or "snobby". Coche, which means car in Spain, means pig in Guatemala[citation needed] while carro means car in L.A. and "cart" in Spain.

That's so funny I can't even tell you.
Or let's say: the pronoun "you are" in venezuelan would be "tu eres" which is normal spanish, in chilean it would be "vo' soi' " or "tu eri' " (the ' stands for an s that should be there but is never pronunced), and in argentinian it would be "vos sos"...

Thanks dear 4 the explenation.. :thumright:

HaJoSa

Postby HaJoSa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm

arabian wrote:You know that my first time I know that spanish language is defferent between the
the countries that they speak it
:-)

that's true sweetie... I studied spanish in college and the teacher draw my attention that people in different countries speak spanish in their on way.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by HaJoSa on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wub: SarangHea :wub:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Néa Vanille » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm

8thSin wrote:People always tells me they can speak many languages, but in fact, they can barely speak or understand more than 2... Seriously, couple of years of foreign languange classes in high school or college is a joke.

Yes, yes and YES again!!!

Very, very true. I happens quite a lot that I meet people who have studied French in HS or Japanese in college and claim they are 'fluent'. I always think, "lol, no, you're not! Not unless you spent a whole lot of time working on it outside of class and maybe not even then."

http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/novembe ... tions.html is a good source on how long it takes on average to achieve proficiency in any language.

---
As for me, I speak German, English and Italian fluently. I took French, Spanish and Latin in HS, but I'm nowhere near professional level in them and all I really can is read and understand them sometimes. I'm currently trying to learn Korean, but I'm not going to claim fluency in it until there's nothing I can't do in Korean. And that's going to take a long time.

Hoping to learn Japanese, Mandarin, Finnish, Norwegian and Portuguese some day.

gougz

Postby gougz » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm

SinFan wrote:But anyone interested in learning Dutch ?? it's a weird language though =P

I DO!! i'll start dutch in september!! it sounds interesting, it seems to be a mix of german and english, see :
Mijn naam is Mehdi > Meine Name ist Mehdi > My name is Mehdi >> same thing !!

well, i can speak fluently french (l live in France), arabic (from algeria, not middle east, it's my mother tongue!) and english (studying for 12yrs now and still studying now!)
i can speak german, not fluently but good enough!
and i'm taking japanese lessons :roll
i took one lesson of swedish, but i stopped it, to difficult to prononciate!! (sorry for all swedish here!)
i want to talk chinese, but i'll take chinese lesson when i 'll be able to speak a correct japanese :D

arabian

Postby arabian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:45 pm

gougz wrote:
SinFan wrote:But anyone interested in learning Dutch ?? it's a weird language though =P

I DO!! i'll start dutch in september!! it sounds interesting, it seems to be a mix of german and english, see :
Mijn naam is Mehdi > Meine Name ist Mehdi > My name is Mehdi >> same thing !!

well, i can speak fluently french (l live in France), arabic (from algeria, not middle east, it's my mother tongue!) and english (studying for 12yrs now and still studying now!)
i can speak german, not fluently but good enough!
and i'm taking japanese lessons :roll
i took one lesson of swedish, but i stopped it, to difficult to prononciate!! (sorry for all swedish here!)
i want to talk chinese, but i'll take chinese lesson when i 'll be able to speak a correct japanese :D

Good luck in learning new language.. :thumright:

gougz

Postby gougz » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks arabian
well, actually, it's my major, foreign languages :mrgreen:

Thekitten

Postby Thekitten » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 pm

hiya!
well... I am Spanish, so... yes, I do speak spanish and understand most of the foreing accents, 'cause i've got latinamerican freinds!! ^_^ also... I do speak and write (quite fluently) English, I spent more than a year abroad... also I've been studying french for over 12 years, so I can have a pretty nice conversation, but, please... no writting.. the whole accent stuff :S... I've studied Ancient Greek and Latin for 3 years now... so i'm quite able to understand and tanslate them... if read, and right now i'm studying japanese at college, so i understand quite a bit, 2 years now! ^_^ also I took several chinese (mandarin) classes... but then... i decided to just go for japanese ^_^

VyVy

Postby VyVy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

My mother tongue is vietnamese. I live in Montreal where most people are bilingual (french & english). i'm working in the Pulp and Paper business. Most of my customers are in the States and the paper mill that we're dealing, most of the employees speak French. I can swicth easily English to French or vice versa... I speak vietnamese with my family.

Vanns

Postby Vanns » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 pm

princess_jime wrote:Spanish is my mother tongue, but I gotta say, it's so true that saying that says:
Latinamerica is bonded and divided by language
I should say I speak venezuelan and chilean because even though both are "spanish" they are soooooo different it's like speaking different languages, I swear :lol
My brother once asked his french teacher about her travels around latinamerica, she said she learned spanish in spain, had to learn it all over again in mexico, and was now in the same process here in venezuela!

Anyway, I'm also fluent (speak, read and write) in english but only because of my own personal affair with the language...
I studied french, latin and ancient greek, but it's been so long I've forgotten everything.

And I'm also trying to study japanese on my own, due to monetary issues. :mrgreen:
Like everyone else, thanks to my d-addiction, I can pick up a few words here and there of mandarin and korean, but no biggie.

I never thought the differences are so big, whan I'm reading something in spanish I can't tell from here it's written.
brazilian portuguese differs from portugal's by the accent (sometimes is difficult to understand what portuguese people says) and a few words

cfang32

Postby cfang32 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm

i know hmong then i knew english and now i know french. right now i am currently learning korean so, that means i know how to speak 4 languages. also hoping to learn mandarin.

minorinhu

Postby minorinhu » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Vanns wrote:
princess_jime wrote:brazilian portuguese differs from portugal's by the accent (sometimes is difficult to understand what portuguese people says) and a few words

I have a feeling that they are 2 totally different languages, brazilian portuguese and Portugal's portuguese :mrgreen:
And I didn't know it was the same with spanish around ex spanish colonies .. interesting

Vanns

Postby Vanns » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:43 pm

minorinhu wrote:
Vanns wrote:
princess_jime wrote:brazilian portuguese differs from portugal's by the accent (sometimes is difficult to understand what portuguese people says) and a few words

I have a feeling that they are 2 totally different languages, brazilian portuguese and Portugal's portuguese :mrgreen:
And I didn't know it was the same with spanish around ex spanish colonies .. interesting

one time I saw a TV channel from portugal, it was really hard to understand what they say, bu when I read portuguese books I don't have any problem at all

Luthiel

Postby Luthiel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:45 pm

Hello there, I speak english & french fluently. I'm on my first year of Japanese it's going smooth for the moment. I also want to push my arabic a little further. I need all those languages so I can become an interpreter some day.

Simaldeff

Postby Simaldeff » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Italian
French
English
Japanese
maybe I'll try korean or start German all over again. I'll erase that freaking tower of Babylon punishment thingy.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby nadesico » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:21 am

mother tongue:french
then comes english(I'm an english teacher)
japanese
german, italian, those 2 can be understood but poorly spoken
My dream: learning Korean, probably in september.
I'm impressed, many here master at least 3 languages, that's pretty amazing!!

aznstarlu

Postby aznstarlu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:38 am

its interesting how many people can speak more than 1-2 languages!
im vietnamese =)
i only can understand it also i can BARLY read nor write. =[
i should really try to be fluent~!
its because i like to be fluent in my own race than learning something else im not (hopfully im not offending anyone?). so i wont forget my natural language

im also learning spanish in school but im better in it than vietnamese! ! how sad!
lol

i know little bit of korean, japanese, chinese (too much dramas) xP

wai_muna

Postby wai_muna » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:11 am

me...jst malay and english..

arabian

Postby arabian » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 am

nadesico wrote:mother tongue:french
then comes english(I'm an english teacher)
japanese
german, italian, those 2 can be understood but poorly spoken
My dream: learning Korean, probably in september.
I'm impressed, many here master at least 3 languages, that's pretty amazing!!

I'm also learning now English cuz I'll become an English teacher..(still in seconed year).. :mrgreen:

arabian

Postby arabian » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:23 am

Luthiel wrote:Hello there, I speak english & french fluently. I'm on my first year of Japanese it's going smooth for the moment. I also want to push my arabic a little further. I need all those languages so I can become an interpreter some day.

Maybe I'll learn you some arabic but not the tradition arabic cuz I am really not good in grammar.. :lol

Inverse

Postby Inverse » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 am

I speak Swedish, English, Japanese and German..

Alpedra

Postby Alpedra » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:26 pm

brazilian portuguese differs from portugal's by the accent (sometimes is difficult to understand what portuguese people says) and a few words

I have a feeling that they are 2 totally different languages, brazilian portuguese and Portugal's portuguese

one time I saw a TV channel from portugal, it was really hard to understand what they say, bu when I read portuguese books I don't have any problem at all

Funny thing... in Portugal everybody understands the portuguese spoken by brazilians.. so it must be a brazilian thing.. 8)

SinFan

Postby SinFan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:15 pm

@ gougz
you are really going to learn Dutch?
That's funny ^_^ =P
It's kind of a weird mix indeed =P
German and Dutch do look a like ^^
So it would be easy to learn Dutch if you know a little bit of German =D

But if anyone wants to learn Dutch =P
send me a PM ^^
*mayb someone can teach me Korean =P*
Last edited by SinFan on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cub

Postby Cub » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:23 pm

English, Mandarin and Japanese :lol
もう一度逢えるなら夢の中でいい 永遠の眠りをください

arabian

Postby arabian » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 pm

Cub wrote:English, Mandarin and Japanese :lol

Oh cool ..I want to learn japanese.. :mrgreen:

mazerius1st

Postby mazerius1st » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Greek is my native tongue. I speak english fluently and also I speak German although I have not practiced speaking them in ages :(. I know some basic words in japanese so I am thinking of enrolling in a japanese class :D

arabian

Postby arabian » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

SinFan wrote:@ gougz
you are really going to learn Dutch?
That's funny ^_^ =P
It's kind of a weird mix indeed =P
German and Dutch do look a like ^^
So it would be easy to learn Dutch if you know a little bit of German =D

But if anyone wants to learn Dutch =P
send me a PM ^^
*mayb someone can teach me Korean =P*

thanks dear for giving us this chance.. :thumright:

Vanns

Postby Vanns » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Alpedra wrote:

I have a feeling that they are 2 totally different languages, brazilian portuguese and Portugal's portuguese

Funny thing... in Portugal everybody understands the portuguese spoken by brazilians.. so it must be a brazilian thing.. 8)

you're portuguese? portuguese people speak to fast for me :lol

HaJoSa

Postby HaJoSa » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Simaldeff wrote:4
Italian
French
English
Japanese
maybe I'll try korean or start German all over again. I'll erase that freaking tower of Babylon punishment thingy.

Woow similar to me :lol
:wub: SarangHea :wub:

Eziya Minamoto

Postby Eziya Minamoto » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:21 am

Okay, I can speak English fluently, I pretty much grew up with the language. My parents have been trying to get me to learn Igbo for years, but I hardly know any to save my life.

I took Spanish for 3 years, but my Spanish is a joke. I can only understand it if a person speaks slowly. However, I find being able to understand some Spanish shows pretty funny.

I'm self-learning Japanese and Latin right now. I probably won't be anywhere near proficient in any of them for years.

It would be so awesome to be a hyper polyglot...
I am always around...Somewhere out there.

Currently Watching:
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e [ep 5]
Kurosagi [ep 10]

lilangryaznangel

Postby lilangryaznangel » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:48 am

I can speak english(duh), cantonese, and jsut three years of spanish which was sad since Im so bad at it. I can understand burmese and some mandarin(as in barely enough to get by a very small conversation).

carinelay

Postby carinelay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:13 am

I can speak Cantonese, Mandarin, English, Malay and a bit of Japanese.

EleKYAH

Postby EleKYAH » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:07 pm

I speak Spanish, Catalan (my 2 born languages), English, and learning French (i understand full french and i can speak a poor french) and Korean (i began little time ago so i only understand little phrases and expressions, and how to form frases with sense). So I can say i know 3 full languages and 2 partially XD Also im learning latin and classical greek in high school, but it doesn't count XD cos these aren't live languages.

And trust me, Spanish is the difficultest without any doubt, doesn't seem really to any other language, it has 8430920839580928304 **** complements and things useless, i'm lucky 4 got it like a born language, if not i dont believe ive never go 2 learn spanish.

supaflysista21

how many languages do you speak?

Postby supaflysista21 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:14 pm

English is my primary language. I also speak some Arabic.

arabian

Re: how many languages do you speak?

Postby arabian » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 pm

supaflysista21 wrote:English is my primary language. I also speak some Arabic.

So you really speak arabic.. :cheers:

Natsu-chan

Postby Natsu-chan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:23 am

Arabic & English
Learnt some French at grade school (but forgot it, I can only recall some phrases & words)
And recently Japanese, I've been learning it for some time now, through tapes, dramas and books, but mostly from dramas (& anime in the past). That's a good way to learn the language.

I've also started watching Korean & Taiwanese (only Hana Kimi) dramas but I have no intention of learning the languages, they're so difficult. Japanese is much simpler ^^

Linh[hyd=3]

Postby Linh[hyd=3] » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:26 pm

french, english (5years), german a little (3years), vietnamese (a little...! :cry:), maybe i start japanese next year ...

supaflysista21

how many languages do you speak?

Postby supaflysista21 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Well I'm actually still learning. I attend an Arabic class every sunday at a local mosque. I'm not only being taught conversation Arabic but I'm being taught to read and write it as well, and might I say that it is really hard!

shama129

Postby shama129 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm

speak fluently Urdu and English. udru cuz its my mother tongue and english cuz i was raised in the U.S.
i have been taking spanish for six years, cuz it was a required course in school but i ended up continuing it after high school cuz my father speaks spanish fluently.so hes intent on me mastering it as well so hes teaching me right now.
the language i really want to learn is japanese though :D

bela_mex

Postby bela_mex » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:20 pm

i speak spanish & english (& spanglish if that counts)
i've also been studying japanese off and on for about a year :]
i want to become fluent!! (who doesn't thou?? :mrgreen: )
hopefully i find a portugeuse class too
it sounds so nice~~ :mrgreen:

Bob-Gratton

Postby Bob-Gratton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm

VyVy wrote:My mother tongue is vietnamese. I live in Montreal where most people are bilingual (french & english). i'm working in the Pulp and Paper business. Most of my customers are in the States and the paper mill that we're dealing, most of the employees speak French. I can swicth easily English to French or vice versa... I speak vietnamese with my family.

Same here
Grew up speaking french and cambodian since i always went to a french school.Learned english in the summer at my aunt's house at Boston.In high school i've learn cantonese.The last two year's i'm trying to learn korean.

When I grew up here I had lots of arabian and spanish friends even now 2 of my best friend is arabian.And spanish i've forgot everything

ANdromeda18_

Postby ANdromeda18_ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm

My native language is Portuguese but I also speak English, French and Spanish. I also know a little of Japanese, but it's very little.

Alpedra wrote:Funny thing... in Portugal everybody understands the portuguese spoken by brazilians.. so it must be a brazilian thing.. 8)

That's certainly true. We understand Brazil's Portuguese very well but every single Brazilian I know had a really hard time understanding Portugal's Portuguese when they first got here. I think it's like British English and American English. The British usually understand the Americans quite well but the Americans have a harder time understanding the British.

Moondy

Postby Moondy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:29 pm

hmmmm
Actually I can speak (not perfectly but i can :p) 6 languages ;)

Johnny Rainbow

Postby Johnny Rainbow » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Obviously English, but also conversational Korean and, like...elementary school-level Japanese. haha, it's been too long since I took it so it's mostly forgotten(though I still know hiragana and katakana).

nivek

Postby nivek » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:50 pm

English, Japanese, and I can translate, but not speak, Burmese. I've forgotten all my Latin and Spanish.

LuckyCharms

Postby LuckyCharms » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:40 pm

English is my native language and I have a minor in German... I don't know if that qualifies me as being able to speak it though. LOL no I think I can speak fairly conversationally auf deutch. I am trying to learn Korean right now but it's difficult on my own. My boyfriend is a native Korean speaker and he helps me a little.

thuydiep

Postby thuydiep » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:42 pm

Dutch, Vietnamese and English - can talk and listen to it without a problem..
but writing Vietnamese down is difficult for me (shame on me..)

Isabelck

Postby Isabelck » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 pm

English and Latin (8yrs studied), then Spanish and Japanese intermediate (6yrs and 4 yrs of study respectively), German beginner (2 yrs study), Hebrew beginner (6 yrs study when I was younger so I have forgotten a lot, but used to be pretty good at it), Swahili beginner (2 yrs self study from a book.. at least I can ask which bush to squat behind).

NgocLan

Postby NgocLan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:44 pm

I can speak, write, read and hear Dutch and English perfectly, I can speak and hear Vietnamese fluently, as for writing and reading.. not so fluently.. Uhm and I know French, German (speaking, hearing, writing, reading) quite okay. Have studied Latin for 2 years, and Greek for 5 years. Both in high school, but I guess they don't really count since they're dead languages. I know a bit Mandarin, my family is partly Chinese, so I'm used to hearing it at the least. And I know a few words in Japanese, but I hope to become better in it with the years to come. Dramas are a great way to get acquainted with the language.

It's awesome by the way to read through everyone's posts to see what languages they've mastered or well know atleast something about it. Over 6 billions souls on this world, so many languages. You do feel quite small in this world if you think about it thoroughly.

MikeNolan

Postby MikeNolan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Cantonese and english

*kawaii*

Postby *kawaii* » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:38 am

arabian me too
arabic , english
you know
if we take a Jp/Korean classes
we will become pretty good
cozz we have some knowlege from Dramaz
about me i think knowing the basic words is
the begining to speak any lang.
basic words hello sorry thankyou nice 2 meet you bye
then (food stuff)
then names
and etc
untile we reach the point of good speaking knowlege

i've talked so much Srry
hope it help

seeya

jrockgasuki

Postby jrockgasuki » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:01 am

English is my native language, but I have been studying Spanish for 8 years (I am still horrible at it), Japanese for 4 (3 with tutors, 1 with school), and I am currently studying French. I was supposed to be taking Chinese at the local university, but they said the class was too full. Eventually I will learn more...
I think my biggest problem with learning languages is that i need the person teaching me to be strict. Like "from now on we will speak only in ________. you will understand after awhile"...but nobody seems to do that...
I think the easiest language to learn for me is Spanish, followed EXTREMELY close by Japanese (only because I still have a little trouble with particles).
The hardest language to learn is probably English...i mean, I was raised on it and I still can't seem to get good grades in my English class >.<

doasan

Postby doasan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:04 am

First language: Spanish,Second:English,Third:Japanese (still learning)

TatteredCrimson

Postby TatteredCrimson » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:03 am

I'm French, so yeah, it's my first language. And I speak Creole, that also being my first language. And I speak Japanese. And I would like to learn Korean and/or Chinese and Spanish. And I speak English, that being my first language as well XD.

tangerine_kisses

Postby tangerine_kisses » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:06 am

Hmmm...I'm a Chinese living in the Philippines. So, I can speak Mandarin, Filipino, English. Then, from watching animes, I learned a few Japanese phrases. And I also learned a few Korean phrases from kdramas. that's probably all. Then, I want to learn how to speak French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese. :)

chochajin

Postby chochajin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:58 am

German (native speaker) + English

I´ve also learned Latin, French and Spanish at school, but I´ve forgotten almost everything again (;__;) ....

Then I´ve started to learn Japanese some years ago.

Yes, that´s it. :-)

ドラマは見れば見るほど好きになるよ!☆彡

wnndy

Postby wnndy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:11 pm

i speak dutch fluently+english+chinese(wenzhou)

a little bit chinese(mandarin)+french+german
i understand a few words of korean (from kdrama)
and a few words of japanese (from jdorama)
Last edited by wnndy on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image:wub: <3 Akanishi Jin
avacredit: albatrice thanks sweetie

arabian

Postby arabian » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:28 pm

*kawaii* wrote:arabian me too
arabic , english
you know
if we take a Jp/Korean classes
we will become pretty good
cozz we have some knowlege from Dramaz
about me i think knowing the basic words is
the begining to speak any lang.
basic words hello sorry thankyou nice 2 meet you bye
then (food stuff)
then names
and etc
untile we reach the point of good speaking knowlege

i've talked so much Srry
hope it help

seeya

I'd like to learn japanese or korean.. :mrgreen:

JenBell

Postby JenBell » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:41 pm

I speak, read and write: English (raised in London), Italian (born)

Speak: Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi (have a lot of Asian friends)

Want to learn Korean....anyone want the job of teaching me?
JenBell®

arabian

Postby arabian » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:47 pm

JenBell wrote:I speak, read and write: English (raised in London), Italian (born)

Speak: Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi (have a lot of Asian friends)

Want to learn Korean....anyone want the job of teaching me?

When i learn you'll be my first student.. :mrgreen:

roona

Postby roona » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:36 pm

well for me i speak two languages fluently, first arabic since its my native language and second is English and a little bit of French plus few words of japanese,korean, and philipino(for philipino maybe two or three words only lool)
i really love learing different languages i wish i can speak japanese, korean, spanish, italian, inidan, and philipino. neeed a lot of work huh :P
wHeN tHeRe Is a WiLL ThErE Is A wAy :-)

princess 1

Postby princess 1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:38 pm

my first language is arabic, and my second is english, but i started speaking english when i first Learned how to talk because my nanny spoke english, then i started speaking arabic .........

arabian

Postby arabian » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:56 pm

roona wrote:well for me i speak two languages fluently, first arabic since its my native language and second is English and a little bit of French plus few words of japanese,korean, and philipino(for philipino maybe two or three words only lool)
i really love learing different languages i wish i can speak japanese, korean, spanish, italian, inidan, and philipino. neeed a lot of work huh :P

Yes need a lot of work.. :mrgreen:

QNSpider

Postby QNSpider » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:13 pm

(In order of perfection) English, Kreyòl, French, Spanish, and some basic Japanese and Korean learned by my father and... yes...dramas. :-)

CreaMy_StarBucKs

Postby CreaMy_StarBucKs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:12 pm

English was my first language and as for other languages.....

I'm learning cambodian because I have many cambodian friends( getting fluent), japanese (can recognize words already in j-dramas), korean (a lot), vietnamese (somewhat), and barely a bit of Dutch.
Tired? Have a Starbucks Frappuccino!