Characters on the Autism spectrum (earlier Aspergers syndrome)

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
ringo1

Characters on the Autism spectrum (earlier Aspergers syndrome)

Post by ringo1 » Feb 8th, '15, 06:37

2023-Sep-19 MOD Keiko1981
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
The syndrome has been merged with other conditions into autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and is no longer considered a stand-alone diagnosis.

Hi, new member here.

Started watching japanese dramas a few months back and got hooked.
I watched about a dozen doramas and I thought I'll compile a list of characters I think have Aspergers Syndrome.

Others member please post names of characters (from dramas, anime etc but only stuff from Japan) who you think have Aspergers (and explain a bit if you feel like it.)

1. Kekkon Dekinai Otoko: I think the main character in the drama, Shinsuke Kuwano-san is an aspie.

2. Rich Man, Poor Woman: Hyuga Toru-san (the main character) is an aspie.

3. Tantei Gakuen Q: The character named Ryu has aspergers, I think.

4. Death Note: The character 'L' almost certainly has aspergers.

5. Nodame Cantabile: I get the feeling that Nodame-chan is an aspie, I am not sure. What do you guys think ?

Please add more characters and dramas and anime that have characters with aspergers.

:thumleft:

Mod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
For those who wants to read up on characteristics of the syndrome.

koshonin

Re: Characters with Aspergers Syndrome

Post by koshonin » Feb 8th, '15, 08:24

I don't agree
that Kuwano Shinsuke played by Abe Hiroshi in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko has aspbergers, he is just a stickler.

the others I haven't watched

One drama depicting someone with Aspbergers is:
ATARU and he is brilliantly played by Nakai Masahiro

Candylemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Post by Candylemon » Feb 8th, '15, 09:16

As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, here's who I see as maybe having it:

• Kuwano Shinsuke in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko: Absolutely, definitely, pretty much everything about the character screams it.
• Akita Shinya in Last Doctor: Ditto
• Enomoto Kei in Kagi no Kakatta Heya: Ditto.
• Hayashi Niko in Sexy Voice and Robo: She was the first character in any sort of media that I really felt I could relate to, and she certainly shows a lot of the same Aspie traits I do.
• Kashiwagi Natsuko in Maruho no Onna: Less sure of this one, but there were times when she seemed like she might have it. Plus I could argue that any female Aspie who's reached 49 years old without a diagnosis is likely to have worked out how to hide their problems to a far greater extent than most of us.

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately. I don't know about Nodame, but it's a possibility. I haven't seen the other three you mentioned, so I can't comment on those.
koshonin wrote:One drama depicting someone with Aspbergers is:
That's not Asperger's, it's extremely low functioning autism. Personally I would argue that if you want an accurate portrayal of that, Boku no Aruku Michi was amazing, while ATARU was horribly inaccurate. I mostly know about Asperger's and high functioning autism, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

ringo1

Post by ringo1 » Feb 9th, '15, 06:09

koshonin wrote:I don't agree
that Kuwano Shinsuke played by Abe Hiroshi in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko has aspbergers, he is just a stickler.
Nah, I think he's an aspie.
koshonin wrote:the others I haven't watched

Hmm, I haven't watched it. Will have to check it out, thanks.

Btw, it's Asperger's not "aspbergers", you have misspelled it twice.

ringo1

Post by ringo1 » Feb 9th, '15, 06:16

Candylemon wrote:As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, here's who I see as maybe having it:

• Kuwano Shinsuke in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko: Absolutely, definitely, pretty much everything about the character screams it.
I agree.
Candylemon wrote: • Akita Shinya in Last Doctor: Ditto
• Enomoto Kei in Kagi no Kakatta Heya: Ditto.
• Hayashi Niko in Sexy Voice and Robo: She was the first character in any sort of media that I really felt I could relate to, and she certainly shows a lot of the same Aspie traits I do.
• Kashiwagi Natsuko in Maruho no Onna: Less sure of this one, but there were times when she seemed like she might have it. Plus I could argue that any female Aspie who's reached 49 years old without a diagnosis is likely to have worked out how to hide their problems to a far greater extent than most of us.
I haven't watched any you have mentioned in the above quote.
Thanks a lot, I'll check these out, and let you know, sometime soon, though I'm not sure when.
Candylemon wrote: Those are the ones that come to mind immediately. I don't know about Nodame, but it's a possibility. I haven't seen the other three you mentioned, so I can't comment on those.
Okay.

1. Rich Man, Poor Woman: It's a good one and I think the lead character (Hyuga Toru) has AS. Anyway, the drama is kinda slow in the beginning but towards the end it gets better and it is in my top 5 dramas.

2. Tantei Gakuen Q : It is a detective/mystery kinda drama.

3. Death Note: What? You joke? You no see death Note, the anime? There are movies but the anime is way better. And I'm almost certain the "L" character has AS.

Dwight04

Post by Dwight04 » Feb 16th, '15, 10:50

Hey I'm a pretty private person. I do not disclose my problems with others. Now I am very stressed because I found some symptoms of aspergers. I don’t know what to do in this situation. I just finished reading lots of articles on aspergers famous people but still I am blank. Please help!!

ringo1

Post by ringo1 » Feb 20th, '15, 05:49

koshonin wrote:I don't agree

the others I haven't watched

Hey,

So I watched Ataru.
It doesn't seem to be AS, and the show says that he has Savant Syndrome.

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Jul 23rd, '15, 18:44

ringo1 wrote:Hi, new member here.

Started watching japanese dramas a few months back and got hooked.
I watched about a dozen doramas and I thought I'll compile a list of characters I think have Aspergers Syndrome.

Others member please post names of characters (from dramas, anime etc but only stuff from Japan) who you think have Aspergers (and explain a bit if you feel like it.)

1. Kekkon Dekinai Otoko: I think the main character in the drama, Shinsuke Kuwano-san is an aspie.

2. Rich Man, Poor Woman: Hyuga Toru-san (the main character) is an aspie.

3. Tantei Gakuen Q: The character named Ryu has aspergers, I think.

4. Death Note: The character 'L' almost certainly has aspergers.

5. Nodame Cantabile: I get the feeling that Nodame-chan is an aspie, I am not sure. What do you guys think ?

Please add more characters and dramas and anime that have characters with aspergers.

:thumleft:

Mod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
For those who wants to read up on characteristics of the syndrome.
Watched #1 , #3, #5. And ... NO. One shouldnt really equate with being indifferent towards others and enjoys being alone (#1) or being very awkward in social situations (#1, #5) with mental illness. It is really just misconception, especially in this society where it is so fast to give mental illness label on anyone without knowing deeply on what they actually mean. Its just like how people take word depression, phobia really lighltly. He is awkward in social situations and cant read situation.. so he must be aspergers... No.

Btw, Tantei gakuen q is out of question and I dint even know how you made such conclusion. do you really watch the drama and read the manga? As for kekkon dekinai otoko, imho he is just introvert (needs energy to socialize instead of gain energy from socialization). The fact that he is surprisingly close to Hayakawa sensei tells you that he isnt even anti social.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: Characters on the Autism spectrum (earlier Aspergers syndrome)

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 19th, '23, 02:05

I have not watched the following dramas, but based on their synopsis.

Gossip (2022)

Code: Select all

https://wiki.d-addicts.com/Gossip
Comment from MyDramaList
I don't get it ... what was the point ? Why was it necessary to make such an infuriatingly excruciating female lead ? Why make a hateful female lead ? What's the narrative goal in wanting you to grab the female lead by the hair and smack her freaking face on the wall ?

Why ? Seriously WHY ?

Sometimes you have to wonder if writers have any sense of characterization to make things so amateurishly stupid.

I'd think like this. "I'm curious as to why she behaves this way." and to find out it's mentioned somewhere by screenwriter.

Dr. White (2022)

Code: Select all

https://wiki.d-addicts.com/Dr._White