RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE ASIAN DRAMAS

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
ghostcheese

Dark Romance Drama Recommendations?

Postby ghostcheese » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Since I don't really have a preference on language with this request, I had to put this in the general forum section.

Anyway, I'm in the mood for a dark romance drama. Some of the things I'm talking about by dark:

1) Dangerously possessive guy (big plus if he's older)
2) Making the girl do things she may not want to do (like imprisoning her some place, making her stay with him or serve him or something)
3) Dark or taboo plots and/or secrets...incest, murder, suicide, rape
4) Psychological situations...main characters with fragile mental and emotional states

I don't mind comedy and happy endings, but it has to have the darkness to it as well.

This request makes me sound like a freak doesn't it...but I just reread a manga with a bit of a possessive guy, so I'm in the mood to watch something like that. Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks~

Puppet Princess

Postby Puppet Princess » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Ermm... Jam Loey Rak (Defendant of Love). It's Thai.... and has all of the above.
Kidnap, torture, rape, traumatic childhood experiences, suicide, evil plots, revenge, love... I could go on... basically it's just really messed up.

Wiki - http://wiki.sarnworld.com/index.php/Jam_Leuy_Ruk

You can download it here. (You need to make a free account to access that.)
Last edited by Puppet Princess on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:43 pm

- Koukou Kyoushi 1993
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kou_Kou_Kyoushi
- Koukou Kyoushi 2003
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kou_Kou_Kyoushi_2003
- Byakuyakou
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Byakuyakou
- Last Friends
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Last_Friends
- Life (Listed as RAIFU on DA)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/LIFE
- Seija no Koushin
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seija_no_koushin
- Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (One Million Stars Falling from the Sky)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Sora_Kara_Fur ... u_no_Hoshi
- Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tsubasa_No_Oreta_Tenshitachi
Two seasons, each season four episods. Each episode is a short story. Very good.
My favorite episodes are 1 and 3 of season two
Last edited by Keiko1981 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Ashita no Yakusoku, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

regregreg

Postby regregreg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Byakuyakou & Last Friends seconded! Byakuyakou is my all-time favourite drama! Be sure to check it out!

I also recommend Sleeping Forest (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Nemureru_Mori). The first one or two episodes is kind of boring and not really promising, but it gets better with every episode.

ghostcheese

Postby ghostcheese » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 am

Thanks for the recommendations, of the ones said so far, the two I've watched:

Sleeping Forest- the person I figured was the killer was the killer, go me~

Jam Loey Rak (Defendant of Love)- I didn't like it at first actually. I didn't like Soraya at all to start off, she seemed as stuck up and prissy as Sansanee at first, and all she did in the first five or something episodes was shriek, shriek, shriek...all the women at first seemed like shrieking banshees, and it was irritating. And Soraya was so stupid sometimes, like when she finally escaped long enough to call her mom, and all she said was "Hey mom, how are you?" not "HELP ME I'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED" But it grew on me, once they started to have quieter, more conversational moments rather than yelling back and forth. I really liked the ending. And the bloopers at the end were hilarioussssss. I loved Gayu~ (the monkey) They should have put the squirrel in more throughout...it just disappeared after the first few episodes.

If anyone has more recommendations, I'm open to them. And I'll be checking out some of the other suggestions as I get time.

homelessbrian

Comedy

Postby homelessbrian » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 am

Hello everyone. I am new here.

I am a huge Asian comedy fan and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good movies/shows etc.... with English subs.

I have pretty much every Stephen Chow movie ever made and most of the gaki no tsukai fan subs. Besides that I pretty have no idea about what is good, but those ares examples of what kinda of comedy I am interested in.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

missyu76

okay, I'm updating my list.

Postby missyu76 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:08 am

My top 10 favorite dramas;
All of the dramas listed are the best dramas ever!

1. Beautiful Days (Korean)
2. Devil Beside You (Taiwanese)
3. Coffee Prince (Korean)
4.It Started With a Kiss 1 & 2 (Taiwanese)
5. Majo no Jouken (Japanese)
6. Goong (Korean)
7. 1 Litre of Tears (Japanese)
8. I'm Sorry I Love You (Korean)
9. Hana Kimi (Taiwanese)
10. Soulmate (Korean)

r3ika

Re: Comedy

Postby r3ika » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:42 am

homelessbrian wrote:Hello everyone. I am new here.

I am a huge Asian comedy fan and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good movies/shows etc.... with English subs.

I have pretty much every Stephen Chow movie ever made and most of the gaki no tsukai fan subs. Besides that I pretty have no idea about what is good, but those ares examples of what kinda of comedy I am interested in.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

hhmmm... my boss my hero for comedy?! :mrgreen:
imagine life without music~~ :note: :music:
こういんやのごとし...

Dnllezd

Postby Dnllezd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 am

My first drama I have ever watched: Devil Beside You.
Still my number one, I love it so much! :)

Niji-Rach

Postby Niji-Rach » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:47 pm

I could recomment Hana Kimi to everyone who lived under a rock for the past 2 years and likes comedy (because if you're into J-Drama much, and you like comedy I suppose you've already seen it). And I love Maou. OH AND UTA NO ONIISAN! Pure Ohno-crack XD

pumpki3

Postby pumpki3 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:05 am

if you're looking for something fun & light, i recommend:
Full House & Goong :D

andyjin7777

Asian Drama Help :), i need help with drama recommendations

Postby andyjin7777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Do anyone know of any taiwanese/korean/japanese films that are cute, funny and romantic?

Sort of like smiling pasta, fated to love you, devil beside you, and miss no good...are there any other ones like that which have some but not too much seriousness in it i prefer shows that emphasizes on cute girls and cool guys? one of my most favorite drama is the taiwanese drama smiling pasta and the idea that a male rich famous idol meets this rele cute common restaurant owner girl and they rele dont like each other in the beginning which they eventually fall for each other i rele loved that kind of drama, miss no good and fated to love you were like smiling pasta as well but i still liked smiling pasta the best haha but personally i just love taiwanese drama more than anything since i understand this language and the taiwanese drama really incorporate that kind of cute/romance/comedy drama but korean and japanese drama that are like cute/romance/comedy ill enjoy as well so......

If you know any, please tell me thank you for your help :-)

andyjin7777

Asian Drama Help :), i need help with drama recommendations

Postby andyjin7777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Do anyone know of any taiwanese/korean/japanese films that are cute, funny and romantic?

Sort of like smiling pasta, fated to love you, devil beside you, and miss no good...are there any other ones like that which have some but not too much seriousness in it i prefer shows that emphasizes on cute girls and cool guys? one of my most favorite drama is the taiwanese drama smiling pasta and the idea that a male rich famous idol meets this rele cute common restaurant owner girl and they rele dont like each other in the beginning which they eventually fall for each other i rele loved that kind of drama, miss no good and fated to love you were like smiling pasta as well but i still liked smiling pasta the best haha but personally i just love taiwanese drama more than anything since i understand this language and the taiwanese drama really incorporate that kind of cute/romance/comedy drama but korean and japanese drama that are like cute/romance/comedy ill enjoy as well so......

kanshu

Postby kanshu » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am

:glare: Are you the same ***** who keeps posting the same question twice on soompi and elsewhere without even bothering to scroll down half a page to read your replies...? :scratch:

msles59130

MARS!!!!

Postby msles59130 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 am

Just dark enough, with an amazing love story and a wonderful ending. This is, by far, the best drama I have watched. Vic Zhou is so...wow.. in this, and although I hated Barbie Xu after Meteor Garden, I got to really like her as an actress watching this one.

mshongk0ng

Postby mshongk0ng » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 am

First Asian Drama I watched was Legend of the Condor Heros part one and two in the late 70's and early 80's. The Wong Yit Wah and Lau Tak Wah TVB drama series. It was very long and expensive to rent back then.

LoveLisa2649

Postby LoveLisa2649 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:55 am

Best 5:

Korean:

1) Boys Before Flowers
2) Iljimae
3) Full House
4) Dae Jang Geum
5) My Name is Kim Samsoon

Japanese:

1) Hana Yori Dango (1& 2)
2) Hana Kimi
3) Zettai Kareshi
4) Nobuta no Produce
5) Lovely Complex (Live Action)

Hong Kong/Mainland China/Taiwan:

1) Devil Beside You
2) Why Why Love
3) The Handsome Siblings (2007)
4) War of the In-Laws
5) Journey to the West (1996)

Sojiro

Postby Sojiro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm sorry if someone already requested hints regarding this topic, but it's not easy to keep up with 47 pages ^^"

(Would be a good idea make different request /recommendation threads for different themes, like... well, "comedy & romance" "sunspense", "more serious dramas / dramas that make you feel like you learned a lesson for your own life", and so on ...? If something like this already excists, I'm deeply sorry, but I must have missed it. ^^")

Anyway, I would be interested to hear your recommendations regarding suspense / mystery dramas, just like Maou, Liar Game, Kurosagi or - well, it's a movie, but I thought I should add it though - Death Note.

I like watching stuff with two "enemies" competing using their intellect and try to fool their opponent / find out what the whole situation they are in is all about. Plot twists and suprising revelations would be a help as well ^^

Thanks in advance =3

kuro570

Postby kuro570 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Anyone know of any good chanbara dramas like shinsengumi? I would could go for some good sword action right now ; ;
VSS: Warui Yatsura

nande0nande

Postby nande0nande » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Favorite 5:
1. Hanazakari no Kimitachi E
2. Boys Over Flowers
3. Coffee Prince
4. Goong (Princess Hours)
5. Honey And Clover

Binbo Otoko

My Top 5

Postby Binbo Otoko » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 pm

1. Hana Yori Dango ( 1 & 2 ) It's what started it all for me as asian drama's go
2. Goong It's story really brought to my attention how the Royal Families suffer in their own way. I always assumed life as a king/prince to be least resticted,
3. Mars Great story and cast.
4. Coffee Prince Just a nice all around romance drama
5. Densha Otoko Ito Misaki soo hot and the forum community soo funny I enjoyed it completely.
That is,of course,so far. I'm downloading to watch "Full House" right now,so this could all change by tomorrow.

Cyborg Ninja

Please recommend

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Please recommend me some Japanese or Chinese dramas. I would've posted in another category, but since I'm willing to watch either language (I'm studying both Japanese and Mandarin), I figured this is the right place. I'm interested in medicine, tragedy, computers, animation, action, suspense, and anything intellectual. I've liked Iryu, Kurosagi, One Litre of Tears, Touch (I think that's the name), etc. I despise romantic comedies.

Also, do you know how to get Japanese subtitles or know any movies that have them? Does Japan tend to include subtitles for the hearing disabled much like America does?

selvaspeedy

Postby selvaspeedy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

my top 2 (had a hard time choosing 5 :P ):
(1) My name is Kim Samsoon ---> Whether you're a newbie to Kdrama or not, this is the drama for you.
(2) Jumong ---> oh mama a bit long (81 eppies) but pretty addictive :wub:
♥♥ MaWang ♥♥Image Image♥♥ JunKi ♥♥

kaguya

Postby kaguya » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:59 pm

The all-encompassing recommendation topic is here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79809. It also links to the J- and C-drama recommendation threads.

As for suggestions, these are the dramas that come to mind:

TW Dramas:
-The Hospital
-Bump Off Lover

J-Dramas:
-One Million Stars Falling from the Sky
-Galileo
-Byakuyako
-Aoi Tori
-Nemureru Mori
-Seija no Koushin

And for Japanese subtitles, you can check out the subtitle thread here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php#Japanese

groink

Postby groink » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 pm

RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE ASIAN DRAMAS
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10397.htm
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

Cyborg Ninja

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:25 am

Thank you so much, Kaguya! I've been using the Internet since the early 90's, and honestly, that was the most informative answer to any question I've ever seen. On top of that, it sounds like you've got good taste in dramas.

kaguya

Postby kaguya » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks for the compliment, Cyborg Ninja. Glad I could help.

JelloMeg

Postby JelloMeg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:41 am

best sad love story ever: silence

sumire_chan

Postby sumire_chan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:33 am

Favorites- I can't limit myself to just 5 : )

Hana Yori Dango, Kkotboda Namja & Meteor Garden
Nobuta wo Produce
Kimi wa Petto
Nodame Cantabile
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Coffee Prince
The Legend/ TWSSG
Sh15uya
Hotaru no HIkari
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Unfair
Lunch no Joou
Long Vacation
Ms. Kim's Million Dollar Quest

Most underappreciated drama- Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Naisho87

Postby Naisho87 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey!

I can recommend Hana Yori Dango or Meteor Garden. Goong is very nice too and has a great male lead! But you might have already watched those...
Then there is Tatta Hitotsu no Koi with Kamenashi Kazuya. It is reversed there, the guy is poor and the girl is rich. 1% of Anything or My Girl are good too!

I hope this helps you a little bit :-)

Cyborg Ninja

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 am

Could you give recommendations on a drama with great performances? I watched some of the previous recommendations and many were bad: not believable or poorly acted.

Relikku

Postby Relikku » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:45 pm

some of my top's:

KDRAMA
1. Save The Last Dance For Me
2. I Really Really Like You
3. Wonderful Life
4. 18 VS. 29

JDRAMA
1. 1 litre of tears
2. Attack No.1
3 Attention Please
4. Hotelier

TDRAMA/Other
1. Silence
2. MARS
3. Corner With Love
4. Sweet Relationship
5. Devil Beside You
6. Why Why Love/ Hana Kimi

summer_love21

Re: Asian Drama Help :), i need help with drama recommendati

Postby summer_love21 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:01 pm

andyjin7777 wrote:Do anyone know of any taiwanese/korean/japanese films that are cute, funny and romantic?

Have you seen Hana Yori Dango 1, 2 & the movie (japanese)? I am totally into japanese series...and this is funny, light-hearted, romantic....and japanese dramas are not to long/draggy, because it only has (max) 11 episodes. Have fun watching!

summer_love21

Re: Age Difference Drama?

Postby summer_love21 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Mizuki1988 wrote:Have you perhaps seen a drama that deals with the romance between characters that have a significant age difference? I've already seen Sapuri, Majo no Jouken, Sore wa Totsuzen, Arashi no you ni and Slow Dance, but they are all dramas where the woman is older or more powerful.... Is there a series with the man being older? Like in "Who are you?", for example? (I've already seen that one and loved it... it's just what I'm looking for :P). And I'm looking for dramas where the two end up together or are at least the main characters, not side characters, like in Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang (I mean the Ahjussi :P).

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if such a story even exists :P
Thanks in advance,
Mizuki

I remember HK drama 'La Femme Desperado', there's a storyline where the guy (Raymond Lam) is in love with an older women (Melissa Ng). I love this series, and it was a big hit in HongKong. You can try to find and watch this series :)

summer_love21

Postby summer_love21 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Cyborg Ninja wrote:Could you give recommendations on a drama with great performances? I watched some of the previous recommendations and many were bad: not believable or poorly acted.

I would say Hk classic drama War and Beauty, with Gigi Lai, Charmaine Sheh etc. It's about concubines of the emperor. Hope it's still available......

meli_chan

Postby meli_chan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 pm

I love BOYS OVER FLOWERS RIGHT NOW, Korean guys are hotties
I´m waching it, then I recommended the series in my signiture.... they were great.
Then Kim sam Soon

airan33

Postby airan33 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 am

i really recommend fated to love you!

it's a taiwanese drama about how 2 people are destined to love each other.
it's one of the best. the leads are adorable, and it has the right mix of drama, comedy and romance at the same time.
makes me rofl, but also makes my heart melt. :thumright:

Sojiro

Postby Sojiro » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 am

I finished watching Bloody Monday and totally loved it =]

Very good drama, interesting story, many plottwists, suspense, character development, decent actors, nice soundtrack... I love it = ]

Another "must watch" Suspense drama.

gingetsu

Postby gingetsu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:45 am

I recently stumbled over my first korean drama experience (the title just cought my attention :wink: )
and it just blew my mind!!! :blink

Time between Dog and Wolf

great linear plot, deeply emotional and thrilling to make you yell at your screen :wink:
on top of that: overwhelming acting and a wonderful soundtrack
I was addicted from the first episode to the last one and couldnt download as fast as I wanted to watch it
a must-see!!!

sooo, can anyone recommend something similar? (I dont mind the origin, I just need english subs)
a real good modern-time (action-)thriller with human drama involved...

or...

does there exist some drama similar to the korean movie 'Arahan'?
you know, modern time with mystical content (and I wouldnt mind the comedy :wink: )
Im already watching 'Tokyo Ghost Trip', its quite funny, but its low budget and the acting is damn bad :sweat:

or... (*cough* sorry, got an additional thought)

is there any drama that involves BL-content?
no crossdressing-ones... something that deals with heartbreaking AND heartwarming love between man
every movie Ive seen so far is kinda depressing :sweat:

any help would be appreciated :)

Elitist Grammarian

Postby Elitist Grammarian » Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 am

My top five:

1. Konna Koi no Hanashi
2. 1 Litre of Tears
3. Densha Otoko
4. Mada Koi wa Hajimaranai
5. Shiroi Haru

I'm still watching Shiroi Haru, but I can confidently say that it's one of my favourite drama series already.

Slave

Need suggestion for my Next drama... something similar to...

Postby Slave » Sat May 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi there!

Me and my girlfriend are currently watching the series "SOULMATE" and we REALLLLY love it... one of our best ever in our opinion...

Looking around in the forum here there is a lot of "top drama" and "fav drama" thread... but looking at all of them... I dunno what to choose... I looked and only in the "top 50 kdrama" thread I noticed that "soulmate" only got 11 votes and was way down in the list... and all of the rest of "best dramas" threads never mentions Soulmate series...

So I'm starting this new thread asking for advice... me and my girl are looking for our next series... because we'll be finishing Soulmate today :-)

What we'd like is something more funny than romantic... but still being romantic, romance is good, but if we laugh A LOT throughout... it'll be better. Something similar to Soulmate... cute funny over reactions, cartoon like but in live action :-)

We dont really care if it's C, J or Kdrama... as long as it's good and really funny! :-)

Thanks for the help! :thumleft:

rlyn29

Postby rlyn29 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 am

for me d best drama i recomend to all..

* Lovers in Paris
* Memories of Bali
* Only You
* Save d last dance
* meteor garden (taiwan version)
* Boys Over Flower (korean version)

basta luv ko lhat yun...

espada

Postby espada » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:17 am

#1 My Lucky Star(taiwanese) ---- for sure #1 all time:D its weird.. i saw a bit around, but couldnt find it on anyones list.

TianMoXing

Postby TianMoXing » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:23 am

top 5

taiwanese
1. black and white
2. devil beside you
3. pi li mit
4. my lucky star
5. smiling pasta

Japanese
1. yukan club
2. hana yori dango
3. bloody monday
4. shibatora
5. gokusen

maverick89

Postby maverick89 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 am

i didn't really watch any other than jdrama,
my top 5 are
HANA YORI DANGO
PRIDE
KUROSAGI
GTO
CHANGE

emeralda

Postby emeralda » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

my recommend are:
1. LAST FRIEND
2. GOKUSEN ALL SEASON
3. HANAKIMI JAPAN
4. NOBUTA WO PRODUCE
5. RYUSEI NO KIZUNA

cecilla26

Here are my suggestions :)

Postby cecilla26 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:14 pm

Most Suspenseful:
1. Maou (J)
2. Ryuusei no Kizuna (J)
3. The Quiz Show (J)
4. Bloody Monday (J)

Cute and Sad Love Stories:
1. Hana Yori Dango 1 and 2 (J)
2. Boys Over Flowers (K)
3. Why Why Love (T)

Boy bullies Girl and then fall in love with her:
1. same 3 as above ^^
2. Bullfighting (T)
3. Devil Beside Me (T)

Sports Dramas:
1. Pride (J)
2. 1 Pound no Fukin (J)
3. Ganbatte Ikimasshoi (J)

Other Recommendations (no particular order, cause I love them all!)
Gokusen 1* (J)
Mr. Brain (J)
Mei-chan no Shitsuji (J)
1 Litre of Tears (J)
Akai Ito (J)
Hana Kimi (J)
Absolute Boyfriend (J)
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (J)

*Gokusen 2 and 3 are okay, Gokusen 1 is definitely the best out of the 3

silverayne

Postby silverayne » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:57 am

Story of a man hands down is the best show that has come out this year(so far). It starts out a bit typical but as the story progresses, you find yourself actually caring for the characters. Great story, acting (Kim Kang Woo's amazing), music, pretty much the whole package. Go watch it now guys! :thumleft:

kenshee02

Looking for a certain drama

Postby kenshee02 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Hello, I'm new here and I'm wondering if there is any jdramas or HK dramas in which the main character is actually a heir to a company but starts off as a small worker or something similar

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby aNToK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 pm

That's incredibly vague, dude. Look through the dramawiki and forum resources to find more info.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

mauisplash

Postby mauisplash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:20 pm

Not sure about a JDrama or HKdrama. But your brief synopsis sounds alot like a Kdrama I happened to come across a few years back. I'm not really sure this is the one I remeber but, maybe this will help?

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Oh%21_Pil_Seu ... Soon_Young

good luck finding your drama :D

kenshee02

Postby kenshee02 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 am

I'm not finding an exact drama, but rather HK / Japan dramas with storylines similar to that.

dabogy

favorite

Postby dabogy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 pm

cruel love
one liter of tears
my girl

chachann

Postby chachann » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:59 pm

1. boys before flower (kdrama)
2. shining inheritance (kdrama)
3. atashinci no danshi (jdrama)
4. full house
5. my girl

Neliets

Newbie needs some recomedations. ;]

Postby Neliets » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Hello.

So, I'm new to Asian drama stuff. I've watched many, many American TV shows(ofcourse, most of them are dramas, cuz drama is everywhere(on TV)). My sister likes Asian films, music etc. One day, i saw half episode of Goong(when my sister was waching it). I got very interested. So, next day, I started to watch it(Mostly, i think, cuz the actress was cute =D). I watched it all. Just loved it. I was fascinated about Koreans(Atleast as far as i know from TV n shet) cause they value physical contant way more higher than Americans or any other country(I just liked it that it wasn't like American dramas - crying, sex, making out, sex, sex, crying, crying). Atleast that`s what I think. Anyhow - now I've watched TV show called : I am SAM. Loved it too tbh. So i need some Teen drama recomedations. I've seen many lists of dramas but i really can't choose or find Teen drama.

For those who don't like to read much - I've seen 2 Teen dramas(Goong and I am SAM), so i need some recomedations what to watch now(teen drama).

Thanks for your help.

P.s. - i really don't know why i wrote all that but anyways, it could be more like Introduce Myself post. lol.

Probably, all this just doesn't make sense. lolol :alcoholic:

asaboy23

Postby asaboy23 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:22 pm

shining inheritance- a must watch kdrama
coffee prince
my girl - hilarious
boys over flower..

you should watch these 4 drama.. aja aja fighting!!!

sasuke-kun010

Postby sasuke-kun010 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:46 pm

i really understand what you're saying about american drama i hate them asa well it's all about sex (except movie there are some great Amr movies) and it have like 8 saisons (what the hell is that) so welcome to asia comunity . since i'm a biig fan of japanese i only see japanese serie and they are as good as korean .

i recommand for a beginner like you this drama(base on the kind you were looking for) :

-Hana yori dango
-Nobuta wo produce
-my boss my hero
-densha otoko
nodame cantabile

there are a lot more great series but try those serie as a begining if you like theme then mp me and i'll be happy to show you other series

miyachanfan

Postby miyachanfan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Some top dramas you shouldn't miss:

Korean-

My Girl
Full House
Time Between Dog and Wolf
Iljimae
Hong Gil Dong
Evasive Inquiry Agency
Coffee Prince
Fantasy Couple
Sad Love Story etc...

Japanese-

Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen 1,2,3
BLOODY MONDAY
Life
Liar Game
Kurosagi
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
Summer Snow
Unfair
Ryuusei no Kizuna

PS.: I REALLY cannot understand how one can like Yoon Eun Hye, my sisters and I despise her *beeeh*

kuro570

Postby kuro570 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Heres the Jdrama recommendation forum, it has a ton of dramas that people think is are good or their favorite. I myself check it out every now and then to see if there might be some "gem" I missed from the 90's or so. It also link the other recommendation threads.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10409
VSS: Warui Yatsura

miyachanfan

Postby miyachanfan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:24 pm

For TEENS-

Gokusen --(the funniest school drama ever^^)
Life --(about being bullied at school, brilliant!)
Hana Yori Dango --(a poor girl feat endlessly rich & cool guys; UNFORGETTABLE)
Bloody Monday --(so cool!!!)
Akai Ito --(heartwarming and sweet)
1 Litre of Tears --(very sad & beautiful!)
GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) --(very good school drama)
Nobuta wo Produce (quiet girl feat two openminded guys, sweet!)
Summer Snow --(very heartwarming)
Majo no Jouken -- (love between teacher & student)
Koishite Akuma --(vampire student feat. his human teacher, unfortunately not subbed yet)
Ryuusei no Kizuna --(3 young siblings -> revenge for dead parents, very moving & interesting)
Ikebukuro West Gate Park --(tokyo ghetto with its youth gangs, hilarious!)
Akihabara@DEEP --(freaky tokyo kids' adventures (otakus or manga&anime fans))
etc... :)

All of them are just GREAT! ;)))

Neliets

Postby Neliets » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Watched My girl. Love it. But it was pretty similar to Goong.

I`ve DL`ed Hana Yori Dango but i think i`ll first watch Boys over flowers. ;]

Thanks for your recomendations :) :)

tunix_2008

Postby tunix_2008 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Coffee Prince was the first Asian drama I watched and got me interested in the genre. It's about a poor girl who goes to great lengths to earn money for her flaky mom and sister. She even pretended to be a boy to get employed at a coffee shop where only boys could serve as waiters. Her male boss falls for her thinking he was turning gay. It's really funny and romantic. The lead girl here is the lead in Goong.

You could also check out a Korean movie called He Was Cool. It's really good. It's about two mismatched teens from rival schools bickering over the net. They meet and fall in love in a very non-traditional way.

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e is my favorite jdrama ever. This got me addicted to jdramas. Again with the gender-bender theme. A girl pretends to be a boy and enrolls in an all boys school to get close to her sports idol. There's a Taiwan version of this but I personally think the jdrama is better.

My other new favorite is My Boss My Hero. It's probably the funniest jdrama I've ever watched. It's about a yakuza boss' heir who has to go back to school because he proved himself too idiotic to inherit his father's position. It's really, really funny.

sasuke-kun010

Postby sasuke-kun010 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I`ve DL`ed Hana Yori Dango but i think i`ll first watch Boys over flowers. ;]

Boys over flowers is Hana yori dango ^^ how are you gonna do to watch one before the oither if it's the same serie ??

translation of hana yori dango to english is "boys over flowers"

anyway enjoy it specially the japanese version it's awesome

xxemz19xx

Postby xxemz19xx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm

I'd reccommend:

Taiwanese
It started with a kiss 1+2
Devil beside you
Smiling pasta
Mars
love or bread
Honey and clover (also a Japanese drama)
Romantic Princess
Hot Shot
KO ONE
X family

Korean:
Shining Inheritance
Beethoven Virus
Let's Go to School Sang-doo
Loveholic
Fantasy couple (not a teen series but I always recommend this one, it is the funniest series I've watched ^^)
The Devil (again not a teen series but it has Ju Ji hoon from goong in it, it's a must watch also made into a Japanese version which I highly recommed as well)

Japanese:
almost all Japanese series are what your looking for so I'll name a couple of my faves :)
Fuma no Kojiro
Anna-san no Omame
Attention Please
Dandori ~ Dance Drill
Dragon Zakura
Ganbatte Ikimasshoi
My Boss, My Hero
Nodame Cantabile (A MUST WATCH!!!)
Regatta
Stand Up!!
Rookies
Voice

beautifulme

Postby beautifulme » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:50 am

best 5:

1.koizora
2.tree of heaven
3.shining inheritance
4.wolf temptation
5.full house
[sorry most of them are sad]

niena-chan

Postby niena-chan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:02 pm

I would recommend:

-Nobuta wo Produce
-Boys Over Flowers(Korean)
-My Boss My Hero
-Smile
-Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu
-Buzzer Beat
-Love Shuffle
-100% Senorita(Taiwan)

Neliets

Postby Neliets » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:49 pm

I`ve watched 7 Korean dramas already. They all were great but I`ll give you a little peace of my opinion about everyone of them(chronologic sequence).

1)Goong - It was my first one so I really can`t say anything bad about it.
2)I am Sam - It really was something very interesting. First episodes were pretty funny. I remember that it was pretty laughable. I remember that the ending was just LOL.
3)My Girl - Great drama. But when you think about it more deeply you can tell it`s similar to Goong.
4)Witch amusement - Again, something interesting. If really, then I didn`t see that 'click' between main characters(even not in the end) as it was in other dramas. Anyhow, totally worth watching.
5)I really really like you - In the beginning I thought it will be like any other drama(Poor girl meets rich boy, they meet again later, they start to like each other and then comes 2 other characters that tries to seperate them) but it wasn`t like that. I was even suprised in the last episodes.
6)Dr. Kkaeng - in my opinion, this one was really orginal. There wasn`t too much drama and crying but still good one.
7) Save the last dance - Just finished watching it. Really sad drama. Crying all the way through drama. I really hated those 'after 1 year' sh*ts but, I suppose, without that it couldn`t be done. Ending was just so damn f*cked up. I really hate the ending. But, as always, I really liked it.

Some dramas that I tried but didn`t really got to me.

Coffee prince - watched 2 episodes. Didn`t like it. I didn`t even want to continue watch it. I didn`t like that she tried to be he.
Boys over flowers(both Japanese and Korean) - in both I likes the main character girl but I didn`t like those F4(if I remember correctly) guys. I know, they need to be harsh, mean, brutal but I`m not into that kind of stuff. They were too self-assured and one guy looked totaly like Michael Jackson.

Now I can officially say that I`m addicted to Korean dramas(can`t say asian cause I`ve watched only Korean). At the moment, searching for new drama to watch, lol.

P.s. - this is just my opinion.

sansukini

Postby sansukini » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:02 am

I think JDoramas are the best!

Here are my favorites:

1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Zettai Kareshi
3. Hana Kimi
4. Proposal Daisakusen
5. Oh! My Girl
6. Gokusen
7. Hana Yori Dango
8. Kurosagi
9. Nobuta wo Produce
10. My Boss My Hero
11. Sekai no Chuusin de, Ai wo sakebu
12. Atashinchi no Danshi

I must say, I love them all! Jdoramas are very addictive! They are like drugs. Anyways, I have also watched alot of Korean dramas and I found some of them dragging! Some of my favorites are:

1. Coffee Prince
2. Full house
3. My Girl
4. Boys Before Flowers

Last edited by sansukini on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tokaiz

Postby tokaiz » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:50 pm

My Recommendations
Painter of the Wind (KOR)
Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi (JAP)
In-soon Is Pretty (KOR)
Deru Toko Demasho (JAP)
Nobuta wo Produce (JAP)
Sangdo (KOR)
Hon (KOR)
Royal Sword Stained with Blood (PRC)
Springtime (KOR)
Devil Beside You (ROC)
Miss No Good (ROC)
Innocent Love (JAP)

Just a few... ;)

Things I Don't Recommend:
Densha Otoko (JAP) (only watch it if you're a hardcore Horikita fan, else the constant crying like a baby of the male main character is unbearable)
Tree of Heaven (KOR) (constant crying and getting in really awkward situations of the lead chick got on my nerves — no balance, too much "melodrama")

olla86

Postby olla86 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am

I like That Woman Gets People. Try it!

Neliets

Postby Neliets » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:15 pm

I didn`t see anyone recommending Dal Jas Spring. Good but there wasnt much of a love triangle or smth. A bit only.

More dramas I`ve watched, less I get addicted to drama, tbh. Now I watched like 12th Asian drama and it really didnt make me very sad or smth(even those before). I remember how it was to watch first 3(Goong, I am SAM, My girl). It was like a real addiction lol. Idk why, tho.

Better take a short break after every drama(not episode but whole drama) or you`ll get bored while watching. <- a little peace of wisdom.

garnet07

Postby garnet07 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 am

I'm weirded out by people who got addicted to Korean shows because the first drama they watched was Goong. It really isn't that good. The only thing good about that drama was the set. But the directing, acting and messed up "adaptation" of the manhwa ruined it.

And people keep comparing My Girl to Goong as if Goong came out before My Girl. Well, let me just add that My Girl was released in 2005 while Goong in 2006. The director of Goong already had a lot of help of what makes an awesome romantic comedy from the previous dramas like it (example: Full House and My Girl) .... there is no way he can mess it up ... but NOOOO the guy placed most of the boring actors I've seen together in one drama. Seriously WHAT do you "goong drama fans" find good about it? I'm talking about the drama only, not the manhwa.
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

Cloud_GoGo

Postby Cloud_GoGo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi I want to request a drama. Does anybody know a drama where a boy got bullied or is a geek but he slowly turns into a cool guy or something and captures the girls heart?

I hope you guys can help, thansk :D

sansukini

Postby sansukini » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:07 pm

garnet07 wrote:I'm weirded out by people who got addicted to Korean shows because the first drama they watched was Goong. It really isn't that good. The only thing good about that drama was the set. But the directing, acting and messed up "adaptation" of the manhwa ruined it.

And people keep comparing My Girl to Goong as if Goong came out before My Girl. Well, let me just add that My Girl was released in 2005 while Goong in 2006. The director of Goong already had a lot of help of what makes an awesome romantic comedy from the previous dramas like it (example: Full House and My Girl) .... there is no way he can mess it up ... but NOOOO the guy placed most of the boring actors I've seen together in one drama. Seriously WHAT do you "goong drama fans" find good about it? I'm talking about the drama only, not the manhwa.

I agree. I actually found myself bored to tears when I watched that. I did finish the whole drama though cuz it was highly recommended by a friend.

TofuQueen

Postby TofuQueen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:13 am

Yeah, Goong didn't get me hooked, Coffee Prince did. And it took me a looooong time to figure out it was the same actress!! :lol

Japanese dramas are still my favorites as Korean dramas often seem to drag on a bit too long, but there are some good ones - my favorites are probably Coffee Prince and Evasive Inquiry Agency.

Return to “General Discussions”