RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE ASIAN DRAMAS

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
riki_kun

Favourite top 10 asian dramas?

Postby riki_kun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 am

What's your top 10 favourite Asian dramas of all time?
so far mine are :

1. Winter Sonata
2. Which Star Are You From?
3. Autumn Concerto
4. Hana Yori Dango (both seasons)
5. My Girl
6. City Hunter
7. You're Beautiful
8. Buzzer Beat
9. Smile
10. The 1st Shop Of Coffe Prince

Shenai

Postby Shenai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:41 am

I can't really rank these.

Number 1 is definitely:
A million stars falling from the sky/Sora kara furu ichioku no hoshi

The remaining 9 in no particular order:
The Legend
Tiger & Dragon
Black & White
Time between dog and wolf
Kisarazu Cat's Eye
Koi ni ochitara
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Keizoku
Furuhata Ninzaburo (all)
9 End 2 Outs

wait... that's an additional 10. Sorry, I tried to kick one out, but I failed.

AmCo

Postby AmCo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 am

Nice thread :)

jubies33

Postby jubies33 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 am

where do i start? i have a LOT of favorites here's the ones i can think of right now(in no particular order:

Korean- prosecutor princess, queen of reversals, secret garden, baby-faced beauty, the greatest love, I'm sorry I love you, que sera sera, coffee prince, coffee house, what's up fox?, new tales of gisaeng, you're beautiful, sunkyunkwan scandal, city hall, call of the country, dream highl, pasta, once upon a time in saengchori

Japanese- gokusen series, buzzer beat, orange days, love revolution, slow dance, last friends, nodame cantabile, 14 sai no haha, mei-chan no shitsuji, love shuffle, hotaru no hikari 1 &2, liar game series, tatta hitotsu no koi, a million stars falling from the sky, pride

Taiwanese: love keeps going, Mars, The Rose, devil beside you, why why love, drunken to love you, bump off lover..don't watch a whole lot of these so all i can think of right now.

paulineeeho

Postby paulineeeho » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Heart of Greed
Moonlight resonance
Rosey Business
No regrets
Illjimae
BOys over flowers
you're Beautiful

nikopol

DORAMAS FOREVER

Postby nikopol » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Hola soy nuevo quisiera quien me recomienda Doramas

johnw2738

Postby johnw2738 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:21 pm

These are very nice drama collections thanks every one for sharing the best dramas.

Pantheria

Postby Pantheria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:53 am

Hello all. Previous recommendations have never failed me from here; usually find at least 1 new thing to check out from the various suggestions. So I wondered if anyone can help me again to pick something new to watch. I hope this is in the correct thread since I don't mind wether it's Japanese, Korean etc.

I've currently hit a massive brick wall & what I am currently watching is not scratching that itch at all LOL. (Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, Onegai Kanaete Versailles, Q.E.D & Puzzle)

Be sure to check my lists before recommending something so you don't waste your time. I have seen a fair few Dramas/Movies (Over 300) & nearly all the most popular & obvious choices. So gotta dig deeper or go for the less obvious ones XD!!!

After re-watching the end of BoF (A drama I dropped, finally completed & then re-watched LOL) I am really in the mood for something similar but I've seen all the obvious choices, failing that any recs will do at this point. I really would like something that's easier to connect to emotionally, nothing crazy sad though. I prefer uplifting stories. Sorry it's a bit hard to explain exactly what I mean but I'll try. Something where you can really feel something for the characters, stories that can really move you & that are easy to relate to. Also interested in Dramas/Movies where the score has had some thought put into it too like in City Hunter. Currently listening to Jisun - Eotteokhajyo (http://youtu.be/d_g9WayRkR8) & the City Hunter OST (Suddenly). You know, that kind of feeling. Uhmmm I'm open to any suggestion really.

One of my favourite most recent Dramas I've watched was City Hunter which I absolutely loved. I love how solid the story was & the well thought out score/OST. Another of my all time faves is Last Friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOME THINGS I LIKE & DISLIKE
- I prefer Japanese and Korean dramas/movies but will consider other countries too.
- Pacing needs to be reasonably fast. I have trouble with extremely slow-paced dramas/movies.
- Nothing over 25 episodes. I just don't have the time or the patience. For JDramas this doesn't really apply but for KDrama/other Asian drama recs preferably around 16 to 18. Unless the EP's are shorter than the traditional 70/90 minutes.
- I prefer to avoid extremely depressing or super sad dramas/movies where everyone dies unless they are quite short (8 episodes or less) or they are considered extremely worthwhile. For example while Koizora (JDrama) is extremely sad; I did enjoy it as it was short & the story still had meaning.
- I prefer dramas where the main cast is male.
- No dramas/movies with questionable subs or extremely poor quality.
- I don't like historical dramas/movies unless it's about the 18th century/Victorian era and Vampires!
- Love music/idol/school/romance/slice of life/reverse harem dramas. Some that I really enjoyed: Hana Yori Dango, Water Boys II, Last Friends, You're Beautiful and City Hunter, Holyland, Last Money ~ Price of Love, Yokai Ningen Bem, Soredemo Ikite Yuku, Ouran High School Host Club, Brother Beat, Tenshi no Wakemae, Boku no Dake no Madonna, Asuko March!, School!!, Nagareboshi, GTO, Clone Baby, Quartet, Hi wa mata Noboru, Hammer Session, Ghost Friends, Taisetsu na koto wa subete kimi ga oshiete kureta, Shibatora, Love Shuffle, Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge, Nobuta wo Produce, Koizora, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, Mr Brain, Futatsu no Spica, Atashinchi no Danshi, Orange Days, Sunao ni Narenakute, Cat Street, Akai Ito, Yasha, Tsuki no Koibito, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, Innocent Love, Sweet Room, Tumbling, Tokyo Dogs, RHPlus, Moyashimon, Ohitorisama, Dr. Koto's Clinic, Strawberry On the Shortcake, Long Love Letter, Voice, Triangle, My boss My hero, Mukodono (2001), Gokusen, Hana Kimi (2007/2011), Yasuko to Kenji, Misaki Number One!!, Saru Lock, Q10, Heartstrings, Playful Kiss, Mary Stayed out all Night, Dream High, Boys over Flowers, White Christmas, Mackerel Run, Vampire Prosecutor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These lists include on hold or dropped dramas/movies. Feel free to rec a movie or drama on the dropped/hold list in case I'm passing over something that gets better after a few episodes. Dream High was like that for me, had to really push myself through the first ep but later on got really addicted.

For those with an MDL account my complete list is located here: http://mydramalist.info/user/2170/pantheria
For those without an MDL account, I have a basic list in my LJ here: http://pantheria.livejournal.com/356373.html

:whistling: THANK YOU :whistling:
Last edited by Pantheria on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shindou

Postby Shindou » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:35 am

Akuma_Blade wrote:Ladies and gentlemans. Can anyone recommend me dramas of maked 1980-1992 and fully translated. I was recently watch Sukeban Deka 1 and I'm at 80's / early 90's drama mood now. Thanks and best regards.

Tokyo Love Story, that's a pretty good one
Drama Reviews & OSTs @ http://shindou2006.blogspot.com

Hammie

Postby Hammie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:35 am

@Pantheria:

Have you tried kaibutsu-kun (怪物くん)?

Shomuni (ショムニ) spans over three seasons, but it's quite good also.

Pantheria

Postby Pantheria » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:56 am

Hammie wrote:@Pantheria:

Have you tried kaibutsu-kun (怪物くん)?

Shomuni (ショムニ) spans over three seasons, but it's quite good also.

Hi. I did, unfortunately did nothing for me. Did manage to complete it though. Not watched special/movie yet tho. But really not sure if I ever will LOL.

Will look that one up. Thanks. Never heard of it. :)

moadeep

Postby moadeep » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 am

I've got a lot of stressful stuff going on right now and I need fluff! I need feel good fluffy dramas, but ones that don't have me headdesking with plot holes. Help me pretty pretty please!

karlthegreat

Postby karlthegreat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 pm

I have just finished watching Life and I absolutely loved it. Therefore I was wondering if some you guys know some similar dramas. I am not necessarily looking for a drama about bullying but drama with a serious theme

Yurihwa

Postby Yurihwa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:23 pm

TOP DRAMA OF ALL TIME: Hana Yori Dango

Top 10 K-drama:
1. Rooftop Prince
2. Ghost
3. King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo
4. Cinderella Sister
5. Iljimae
6. Bichunmoo
7. Full House
8. City Hunter
9. Deep Rooted Tree
10. Goong

Top 10 J-drama:
1. Hana Yori Dango S1 & S2
2. Hanazakari no kimitachi e
3. Nodame Cantabile
4. Kurosagi
5. Buzzer Beat
6. Proposal Daisakusen
7. Mop Girl
8. Yamada Taro Monogatari
9. Lovely Complex
10. Jotei

Wanna see them once again :wub:

rascalb

Looking for a food/drink based drama

Postby rascalb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi everyone. I just finished watching Bartender and loved it. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other food/drink based shows. It doesn't have to be only about the food, but I'd like it if the food/drink was more the focus rather than just a set.

Two other shows that I would categorize in this way are Kami no Shizuku and Osen. I really enjoyed both of those.

I appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Gir

Postby Gir » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Shinya Shokudo: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shinya_Shokudo

Basically every episode focuses on a different dish and how it is entwined in the person's life (who orders it).

Kodoku no Gurume/The solitary Gourmet: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kodoku_no_Gurume

A salesman who does more eating than selling. The focus of this one is the shops and their food. Neat part is all the shops in the show are real, and at the end of an episode the author (of the manga the show is based on ) visits the shop that was in the episode.
If you can remain calm while all around you others are panicking... Then you obviously have not adequately assessed the situation.

JaJe

Postby JaJe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 pm

D-adi has a special topic for suggestions/recomendations - please use it. :-)
Especially because this kind of question has already been asked (just do some scrolling)
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409_3780.htm

rascalb

Postby rascalb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:52 pm

JaJe wrote:D-adi has a special topic for suggestions/recomendations - please use it. :-)
Especially because this kind of question has already been asked (just do some scrolling)
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409_3780.htm

Sorry about that. I posted in General Discussions because I don't mind where the recommended show comes from and it felt like spamming posting the same question in the jdrama, kdrama, and cdrama forums. The page that you linked had some good suggestions though. Thank you.

Gir wrote:Kodoku no Gurume/The solitary Gourmet: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kodoku_no_Gurume

A salesman who does more eating than selling. The focus of this one is the shops and their food. Neat part is all the shops in the show are real, and at the end of an episode the author (of the manga the show is based on ) visits the shop that was in the episode.

I just finished Kodoku no Gurume and I loved it. Thank you.

ilovejdramas

Postby ilovejdramas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 am

Try to watch Hungry. It's about Eisuke, a former bassist in a rock band who has a great cooking skills in French Cuisine. When his Mother died who is a Chef at Le Petit Chou, a businessman deceived Eisuke's Father and bought the Restaurant including the staff and chefs. Plus he even changed the name of the Restaurant into, Gasterea. Now, Eisuke decided to open a restaurant at a warehouse with the same name as his mom's place.

Eisuke brings over the two former members of his band "Rockhead" and they prepare for the grand opening of "Le Petit Chou," which will have its opening on the same day as rival French restaurant "Gasterea."

The story also involves a love triangle.

Check out also the synopsis here: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hungry!
Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.
-Alfred Pennyworth

smithgarry

Favorite Asian tv show.

Postby smithgarry » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello Friends
My self smith garry and i am new in that forum. I have join that forum to get some knowledge about Asian culture and tv show.
Please tell which is your favorite tv show

NaomiMaeda

Postby NaomiMaeda » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 pm

My favorite:

1. Carnation.
2. Liar Game.
3. Strawberry Night.
4. Ohisama.
5. Bunshin.
6. Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku.
7. Kagi no Kakatta Heya.
8. SPEC.
9. Code Blue.
10. Ataru.

jenniferbullock

Postby jenniferbullock » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 am

Love Rollercoster
Good Luck
The Green Hope
All In
Beautiful Life

are mine favorite top 5 shows .

amourexdile

Looking for a drama recomendation

Postby amourexdile » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I watched Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna (what a mouthful!) and I really liked the romance between the two leads. For those that haven't watched it- the female lead is looking for revenge and the male lead is a detective trying to stop her. I like forbidden romances like these where the leads are on opposite sides (esp. on opp sides of the law) but can't help falling for each other. I don't care if it is a movie or drama. It also doesn't have to be a specific nationality. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

pekkauwer

Postby pekkauwer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 am

1-present aka seonmul 2002 kdrama
2-deep rooted tree
3-49 days(really wish i can put in number 1 but present still win my heart)
4-daring women
5-JITP

eenbee

Postby eenbee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 pm

-Rookies
-GTO
-Kurosagi
-Gokusen Series
-Rich man, poor woman
-Nobuta wo Produce

eenbee

Postby eenbee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 pm

-Rookies
-GTO
-Kurosagi
-Gokusen Series
-Rich man, poor woman
-Nobuta wo Produce

Gate

Postby Gate » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 am

Any recommendations of jdramas with english subtitles available about hotblooded teachers solving and helping problem kids? In particularly any about being a mentor in a safehouse for orphans or kids?

Only ones I watched was GTO, and a bit of the one with the ghost girl.

SummeryDreams

Postby SummeryDreams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:15 pm

I've been into a lot of Jdramas and Kdramas.. But only few caught my attention, I guess the best for me is still My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, and some other dramas that I would be listing: Hana Kimi, Boku to star no 99 nichi, Proposal daisukusen, I'am Sam, City Hunter, and i forgot the others..

eenbee

Postby eenbee » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 am

Gate wrote:Any recommendations of jdramas with english subtitles available about hotblooded teachers solving and helping problem kids? In particularly any about being a mentor in a safehouse for orphans or kids?

Try Gokusen, Rookies and Kazoku Game(the story ends up mentoring not only the kids but the whole family member).

alecsim7

Postby alecsim7 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 am

any recommendation of gay drama ?

petora

Postby petora » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 pm

My Fave..
1.My Boss My Hero
2.Yasuko to Kenji
3.Mr.Brain
4.Kaeru no Ojousama
5.PRICELESS~Aru Wake Nedaro,n namon!~
6.Doctor X
7.Doctor X 2
8.Kasuka no Kanojo

watashiwachiaki

Postby watashiwachiaki » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

eenbee wrote:
Gate wrote:Any recommendations of jdramas with english subtitles available about hotblooded teachers solving and helping problem kids? In particularly any about being a mentor in a safehouse for orphans or kids?

Try Gokusen, Rookies and Kazoku Game(the story ends up mentoring not only the kids but the whole family member).

dragon sakura

antspace

Postby antspace » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:18 am

alecsim7 wrote:any recommendation of gay drama ?

Not many. I can only think of Last Friends and I.S.
I.S. is quite good, Last friends soso...

fictionalistic

Postby fictionalistic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks for the recs, everyone! So far, I have my eye on watching Gokusen, GTO, and I.S.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be very many gay dramas. :c

iMrRoyal

I am looking for new school life drama/movies help me!!!!

Postby iMrRoyal » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:34 am

Well because i think i've seen it all i guess maybe someone knows something outside of my list.

Basicly from American (Hollywood) movies to Korean / Japanese or Taiwanese or Chinese i dont mind what it is but it should be around Secondary School / High School / College life stuff etc...

What i've seen.

American Series + Movies:
Harry Potter (1-7) Yeah its sort of school magical but still i like all sorts :p
Love at first hiccup
Flipped
Way, Way back
High School Musical (all movies)
american pie (all movies)
The Girl Next Door
The To Do List
Avalon High
College
Teenage Dirtbag
The First Time
Cruel Intentions
Sex Drive
So Undercover
Cindy White
I Love You Beth Cooper
The Art of Getting By
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Korean Series + Movies:
God of Study
Reply 1997 / 1994
Playfull Kiss
Boys over Flowers
Heirs
Sunny
White Christmas
To The Beautiful You
Dream High (Both Seasons)
School 2013
Heartstrings
Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
Winter Sonata (the 1st few eps were in college thats why)
My Girl and I
What's Up

Japanese Series + Movies:
1 Litre of Tears
Ouran High School Host Club
Itazura Na Kiss (1996 / 2013)
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen (all seasons + movie)
Hammer Session!!!
Kazoku Game
Shiritsu Bakaleya Koukou
Kimi Ni Todoke (movie)
Bokura ga ita Zenpen
Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu
Hana Kimi
Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu
Ai Ore! Love Me!
100 Days with Mr. Arrogant
Koizora: The Movie
Crows Zero
Hana Kimi (Both Seasons)
Nobuta Wo Produce
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (1999 + 2012)
Majisuka Gakuen (all seasons)
Dragon Zakura
Mackerel Run
Koizora
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Sugarless
Samurai High School
my boss my hero
Stand Up!!!
Mei Chan
Attention Please

Taiwanese:
Meteor Garden
Hi My Sweetheart (Lin da lung)
It Started With A Kiss

Well there are probably more i've seen but this is what i can come up with at the moment so besides those i hope any of you has a suggestion for me :P

Oh and my personal favorite is: Meteor Garden / Hana Yori Dango / Boys over Flowers <- Thats a must see in all language's from old to new same story but its fun :P Or maybe Padam padam is really epic.

So hope you guys can help me out!

midwinter

Postby midwinter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am

I don't think I see in your list LIFE (quite dark, though), Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy with Gong Yoo, Yamada Taro Monogatari and Switch girl (that one I think you would like, very funny, but manga style). I will edit my post if any other drama comes to my mind.

iMrRoyal

Postby iMrRoyal » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 am

Thank You il check them out :)

BTW I've seen Life and Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy aswell (Hello my teacher right?)

i didn't see Yamada Taro Monogatari or Switch Girl yet il check them out thank you :)

iMrRoyal

Postby iMrRoyal » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

1. Liar Game (Season 1 + 2 + Movies)
2. Kurosagi / Monsters
3. Meteor Garden / Hana Yori Dango / Boys over Flowers (its all the same just taiwanese / japanese / korean :P)
4. 1 litre of tears
5. City Hunter
6. Cruel City / Bridal Mask
7. Padam Padam / White Christmas
8. GTO / GTO 2012
9. Orange Days
10. The Master's Sun / You Who Came From The Stars

nomi83

Is any Series/serial like Vampire Diries / Twilight Sage ?

Postby nomi83 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi :D

Is any Series/Serial like Vampire Diries / Twilight Sage in Chinese Korean Japanese Tv ?

Thanks

:-)

doodoofan

Postby doodoofan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:08 am

K-drama:

Goong (Princess Hours)
IRIS
Full House

J-drama:

Hanazakara no Kimitachi e
Hana yori dango
1 liters of tears

C-drama:

Princess Returning Pearl (Huan Zhu Gege)
Judge Bao (Bao Qing Tian)
Journey to the West (Xi You Ji)

yeon.woo

Re: RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE ASIAN DRAMAS

Postby yeon.woo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:09 pm

for me my top 10 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :

1- liar game
2-secret garden
3-hana kimi
4-hana yori dango
5-It's okey that love
6-the moon that embraces the sun
7- master's sun
8- gapdong
9- faith
10-krusagui

renyyz

Postby renyyz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm

japanese drama, and not in order since i cant decide

itazura na kiss
proposal daisakusen
maou
tantei gakuen q
kazoku game
kindaichi shonen no jikembo season 1

i cant remember more....

ching123

Postby ching123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:30 pm

my top 5

1. Ikemen desu ne
2. Teppan
3. GTO
4. Yamadakun
5. Switch Girl

Onomichan my love :dance:

JackBauer2424

Postby JackBauer2424 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:11 am

In no particular order:

concerto
akimahende
glass slipper (noriko kato)
tatta hitotsu no koi
mr. brain
hero
batsu kare
mission to kill
cheap love
deep love
koshonin
warui yatsura
musashi
miyamoto musashi
love and peace
doctor x
o hitori sama
the housekeeper
long vacation
love generation
itsumo futari de
pride

Just finished watching Itsumo Futari De. At first, I was like what's with Matsu Takako's screwed up character, but both her and male lead's characters turned out pretty likeable and overall I liked the series. Final episode was a bit of a tearjerker. I suspect the person who uploaded the vid may have edited out chunks since the episodes weren't all 45 min or so and seemed to have scenes end abruptly.

Return to “General Discussions”