Sageuk and Taeha dramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sageuk and Taeha dramas

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 27th, '10, 15:42

I would like to propose a topic for both genres: sageuk and taeha.
There is a thread on Chuno here, so if anyone is interested in this particular drama, go ahead.
I know there are lot of people who love Korean period dramas (the writer included), so I think we all need a topic to discuss this kind of drama. Not cut into pieces, but the big universe of period dramas in one place.

First, what's the difference? Both sageuk and taeha are period dramas, but... Taeha is a typical period drama, it depicts the life of some notable and famous person (King, Queen, hero), usually is long and well elaborated. The language is stylized and full of archaised vocabulary. Sageuk, on the other hand, is shorter, and usually the historical period is the background for some story.
And we have a fusion sageuk: the genre that incorporates modern language and music into drama.
This is not a strict division though. Bear in minds that taeha are always long. Always. And they can have the elements of fantasy as well.

* 500 Years of Joseon Dynasty
* 8 Days of Jeongjo's Assassination
* Age of Warriors
* Angshimjeong
* Arang and the Magistrate
* Capital Scandal
* Chosun Police (3 seasons)
* Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms
* Chuno
* Conspiracy In The Court
* Cruel Palace (airing)
* Dae Jang Geum (Jewel in the Palace)
* Daemang (The Great Expectations)
* Damo
* Dawn of the Empire
* Deep Rooted Tree
* Dong Yi
* Emperor Wang Gun
* Empress Cheonchu (aka "Iron Empress")
* Empress Myung Sung
* Eyes of Dawn
* Faith
* Gaksital
* Great Merchant Kim Mandeok
* Gu Family Book (airing)
* Gumiho: Revenge of the Fox Child
* Gyebaek
* Han Myung Hoe
* Hong Gil Dong
* Hong Guk Young
* Hur Jun
* Hwang Jini
* Iljimae
* Im Kkeok Jung
* Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-shin
* Inspector Park Moon Soo (1999)
* Inspector Park Moon Soo (2002)
* Ja Myung Go
* Jang Hee Bin
* Jang Ok Jung (airing)
* Jejoongwon
* Jeon Woochi
* Jo Gwang Jo
* Joseon X Files
* Jumong
* Jung Yak Yong
* Kim Soo Ro
* King and Queen
* King Geunchogo
* King Gwanggaeto The Great
* King Sejong the Great
* King's Woman
* Ladies of the Palace
* Mandate of Heaven (airing)
* Man Kang
* Map of Korea – Life of Kimujonho (1995)
* Medical Gibang Cinema
* Mok Min Shim Suh (2000)
* Mushin (Soldier/God of War)
* Namhan Mountian Castle
* Pa Mun
* Princess Hwapyung's Weight Loss (1-ep special)
* Queen In Hyun's Man
* Queen Insu
* Queen Seon Duk (aka "Queen Seon Deok")
* Return of Iljimae
* Roll of Thunder
* Rustic Era
* Sangdo
* Sa Yug Shin
* Sea God (Emperor of the Sea)
* Seo Dong Yo
* Seongkyunkwan Scandal
* Shin Don
* Six Martyred Ministers
* Strong Colors of Kang Cheol (4-ep KBS Drama Special)
* Taejo Wang Geon
* Tamna The Island
* Tears of the Dragon
* The Duo
* The Great Seer
* The Hoechun Gate
* The Horse Doctor
* The Imjin War
* The King and I
* The King's Dream
* The Kingdom of the Winds
* The Legend (aka: "The Story of the Great King and the Four Gods", or "The Story of the First King's Four Gods")
* The Moon Embracing Sun
* The Painter of the Wind
* The Princess' Man
* The Servant (Bangja jeon)
* The Strongest Chil Woo
* Time Slip Dr. Jin
* Toji (The Land)
* Tree With Deep Roots
* True Colors of Kang Cheol (4-eps DSS)
* Warrior Baek Dong Soo
* West Palace
* Yi San
* Yaksha

If I forgot about some dramas, let me know.
Last edited by Ethlenn on May 3rd, '13, 07:15, edited 50 times in total.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Nov 27th, '10, 15:49

casse

Post by casse » Nov 27th, '10, 21:33

Thank you Ethlenn for creating this thread…. Now I know what saguek and taeha mean. I think saguek is more of my type. I’ll try and watch more of it (SKKS made me wanna explore this genre of drama).
I just finished watching HGD…. This is my second period drama
It was not as good as SKKS but was okay ( am a bit disappointed with the ending though) but the girl, shes too much, her speech,her bangs…..everything bout her is annoying and the king, made me feel like I was watching some stage play…minus these two all the other characters were fine…KJH was amusing and JGS also did a good job as an angry young man.
Now my third on the list is Hwang Jin yi…let see what this one will take me to…
ILL BE BACK

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 27th, '10, 23:08

I'm waiting for you, casse.
HGD is actually a fusion sageuk. And everyone here was annoyed by the girl, yes... Hwang Jini is nice, really nice. It was even featured in major articles about gisaengs and women in Joseon society. Articles wrote by scientists, you know, not by kyagals^^

wndrswan

saguek

Post by wndrswan » Dec 12th, '10, 21:25

Here is a few more.

Jang Hee Bin (Royal Story) 100 episodes
King and Queen 186 episodes
Ladies of the Palace 151 episodes
King of the Wind (1998) 32 episodes
Age of Warriors 158 episodes
Six Martyred Ministers 24 episodes

I will have ALL these available for download in the upcoming months. Most of course are RAW

Tears of the Dragon RAW
-----------------------------------------------------
History Relived!
historicalkdrama.wordpress.com

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 18th, '10, 10:56

Hmm... I'm watching now King Geunchogo, and I like the story (especially the famous sword at the opening, who, as we know is now in Japan, Oh Irony of the History!), but the thing that bugs me is CGI. I don't need those in taeha. Sageuk is fine with them, but not taeha, for my eyes sake.
Have no idea how you all feel, but I thought they were useless in QSD and now, some scenes are just plain dumb in Geunchogo wang.
I don't want to complain much, because I like the leading actors, and they do a good job, and I don't care about the ratings either (yes, I'm a person who don't care about the statistics, I don't read them and I don't give a damn), but there is something in this drama that makes it hard for me to watch it.
Like the "swimming" scenes in the first episodes... I wanted to kill everyone involved in those... :cry:

wndrswan

no cgi!

Post by wndrswan » Dec 18th, '10, 11:21

I agree with you. CGI has no place in historical drama's. If i want CGI I'd go watch wuxia dramas. :I

More for your list.

Dawn of the Empire
Medical Gibang
King's Woman
Toji, The Land
Im Kkeok Jung

---------------------------------------------
Looking for Korean to English Translators for Historical Drama's

wndrswan

tears of the dragon

Post by wndrswan » Dec 18th, '10, 13:07

only problem with tears of the dragon is the quality is not to great :/ but will upload it at some point.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 20th, '10, 16:46

I don't mind the quality as long as I see anything. I'd like to see Toji, but I think it's unlikely to find it anywhere, ne? :cry:

wndrswan

toji

Post by wndrswan » Dec 20th, '10, 18:06

you can download toji from my website, its like 10th post down :)

Daddicts294

Post by Daddicts294 » Dec 21st, '10, 08:29

What about Dae Joyeong?

Daddicts294

Post by Daddicts294 » Dec 21st, '10, 08:38

What about Seo Dong Yo, Jejoongwon, Kim Soo Ro, and Yaksha?

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jan 11th, '11, 12:47

I just posted (in another thread) about Dong Yi, rating it the best sageuk I have seen. But now I wonder whether it should be called taeha, instead. I was not aware of the distinction.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 11th, '11, 12:58

Taeha, is it the same as "Daeha", maybe I've confused those two genres.
Compareing the Korean and Japanese historical dramas.
Would it be like this:
Taeha = same as Japanese taiga dramas
Sageku = same as Japanese jidaigeki dramas
Last edited by Keiko1981 on Jan 11th, '11, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 11th, '11, 13:01

The same. 대하 (taeha/daeha)

Sakari

Re: no cgi!

Post by Sakari » Jan 11th, '11, 13:51

wndrswan wrote:I agree with you. CGI has no place in historical drama's.
I'm not so sure about that. Part of the attraction of Dong Yi, for me at least, is the sets and decors and costumes, as well as the sheer number of extras. The whole thing seems so real, like they were serious about things. I remember giving up on Seo Dong Yo, say, because it was so ridiculously cheap. They had 20-30 people fighting a war between, like, two countries, and a scientific center housed in a village out of cardboard. Most buildings seen were, well, ruins.

Now, is everything in Dong Yi real? I don't know, but I suspect at least some CGI is involved. I believe CGI has progressed tremendously in the last ten years or so, enough so to fool me. Well, if that is what it takes to create a believable historic setting, I don't mind.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 19:35

No, CGI just irritated me in QSD and Geunchogo. I don't mind them in sageuk, but also they have to be at least decently done. I mean, I dropped The Strongest Chil-woo again because I couldn't stand it. Well, I didn't like how the "masked korean zorro" was doing, so... Chuno had great effects, ie.

Plus, two new period dramas soon:
The Duo
Stories of Gisaeng/The New Tales of Gisaeng
Jeon Woo Chi (but no date set)

wndrswan

korean zoro

Post by wndrswan » Jan 18th, '11, 19:58

I had to quit strongest chil woo also.. First few episodes were pretty cool....until they showed him using a whip..I laughed so hard when i first saw it.

A real historical drama has commentary that backs up the events like Emporer wang guhn does and age of warriors.

--------------------------------
History Relived!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '11, 21:09

I think if there is a "label" taeha that most of broadcasts watermark on certain parts of the drama, we can talk about taeha and distinguish it from sageuk. But yes, all historical dramas base either on truth or fiction. Especially when there is not much documentary left on certain period/person/event.

So Tales of Gisaeng is not a period drama? I've been reading all over the place that its gender is: "historical". But, truth be told, I was little taken aback when I saw the stills.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jan 29th, '11, 08:11

In most sageuks I have watched, city streets in daytime scenes are busy with people; on the other hand, if something happens at night, the streets are deserted and the only ones out are the drama's characters.

Can anyone explain? Was there a curfew in the Joseon era?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 29th, '11, 13:54

Well, shortage of oil for lamps could be an explanation. Plus it's all drama settings. Nights were always blooming with bad guys and scums. On the other hand, some "merry" districts in towns were really busy in the night, and streets were crowded.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 29th, '11, 19:47

From what i have read I thought 'Tales of Gisaeng' was a modern drama. The beautiful hanboks are being worn by the ladies of the 'house' run by a madam.

It might be interesting, but I don't think it is historical or based on history. I could be wrong.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 29th, '11, 21:28

No, it's not historical. I was mistaken by hanboks, setting of the photoshoot and some stupid blog on naver.
My bad.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 29th, '11, 22:15

Not your bad because it was misleading. I thought it was going to be something like that wonderful drama little while back...?Hwang Jini or something like that. sorry can't remember name exactly. I do remember the drama itself and it was wonderful. Supporting cast was unforgettable.
Too bad we can't have another historical one mainly about women of the earlier eras.

'GOU' is doing just that about the women in the Tokugawa era. My favourite Oda Nobunaga is in this in the first few episodes. However it will deal with the wives, sisters and female children of the nobles. First three episodes are pretty strong and interesting.

wndrswan

chronology

Post by wndrswan » Jan 31st, '11, 00:33

I thought in chosun era they had a Fire Crew that went around telling people to put out any fires/lamps/candles ect. If there was a fire back then it was brutal and very hard to put out with the current technology. Buckets only go so far :P

Anyways I've created a chronology of drama's. It's a work in progress and i know i still need to add more drama's to it. I plan on adding more timelines that each drama was in and put them in order.

http://historicalkdrama.wordpress.com/chronology/

Also organized a list of historical drama's. All information up to 2002 is credited to Florel who made the original list, I just organized it.
Also a work in progress. If you have any more information please inform so i can add it.

http://historicalkdrama.wordpress.com/database/

wndrswan

six martyred ministers

Post by wndrswan » Feb 11th, '11, 23:27

While watching six martyred ministers i noticed something strange.. It seemed like the voices were dubbed over. I emailed KBS for an explanation because i originally thought the audio was out of sync. KBS said that North Korean actors voices were dubbed over into South Korean dialect. I had no idea that they had different dialect O_O.

Just an interesting fact about that series.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 11th, '11, 23:55

Oh, that's really interesting. I know about post-production dubbing, like in Iljimae, when they were on the frozen lake or in the woods, but this one is really strange.
Hmm... :blink

But yes, the dialects are different.

And just quick question - I watched only first episode of The Duo, is it worth watching after 2 episodes? I really have no time to waste on no good dramas, and premises for this one was as if Iljimae was married with SKKS and Mark Twain's The Prince and The Pauper.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 20th, '11, 19:35

Korean Monarchs
I created a pdf file from all tables and info I could gather. All info is not mine, and I credited it properly. If someone finds it useful having all monarchs of Korea with their family relations - go ahead.
But as I stated - it's only for educational/hobby purposes.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 21st, '11, 22:30

I have watched quite a number of Chinese and Japanese period dramas since I was a little kid. So I am kind of new to the Korean historical dramas. Going by your description of difference between Taeha and Sageuk, Taeha would be more of what I would like to watch but will have more episodes than 35 right? How do I make the difference between which ones are Saeguk, Fusion Saeguk, and Taeha when looking through dramawiki? Do I have to look at them all one by one?

I liked Ja Myung Go, Iljimae, The Kingdom of the Winds. So far I have watched those including Chuno and now Damo, I like Damo, so far. I'm having trouble selecting from the list you provided, the ones that are traditional historical sageuk, not fusion and not Taeha. When I did a search for "historical" the descriptions didn't say whether they were fusion sageuk, traditional saguek or Taeha. I wouldn't mind Taeha dramas but I don't want to watch 50+ episodes unless it comes on TV.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 21st, '11, 23:17

Classical taeha are over 50. Pass it then.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 21st, '11, 23:58

Ok, so how do I know which one is fusion sageuk and traditional sageuk?

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 22nd, '11, 00:13

Ok that's ok. I thought that dramawiki put them in categories to separate fusion and other types. I searched google and found something online to help me understand it better.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 22nd, '11, 00:28

You won't guess from the description. If the language is modern or the modern music is in it - fusion. But it's the sufficient condition but not necessary (if you studied logic or maths^^).

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Feb 22nd, '11, 05:44

Ethlenn wrote:I'd like to hear the opinion on Daemang / The Great Ambition (I just added it to the list), and I learned the DVD set is being released.
Is it worth watching? Because, to be honest, this drama somehow avoided my memory in all Jang Hyuk's dramas.
I've seen it before on cable tv (arirang). It was okay. I thought it was gonna be really long but was shocked when it ended all of a sudden. LOL

I just recall that it starred Jang Hyuk, Sohn Ye Jin, Lee Yo Won and that guy from All About Eve. hehe.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 22nd, '11, 14:30

OK, so Daemang is on my list too. Damn, this list grows longer, and my days shrink...

Tai

Re: six martyred ministers

Post by Tai » Mar 15th, '11, 10:21

wndrswan wrote:While watching six martyred ministers i noticed something strange.. It seemed like the voices were dubbed over. I emailed KBS for an explanation because i originally thought the audio was out of sync. KBS said that North Korean actors voices were dubbed over into South Korean dialect. I had no idea that they had different dialect O_O.

Just an interesting fact about that series.
Wndrswan always finds interesting info

Tai

Post by Tai » Mar 15th, '11, 10:32

Peggy wrote:Not your bad because it was misleading. I thought it was going to be something like that wonderful drama little while back...?Hwang Jini or something like that. sorry can't remember name exactly. I do remember the drama itself and it was wonderful. Supporting cast was unforgettable.
Too bad we can't have another historical one mainly about women of the earlier eras.

'GOU' is doing just that about the women in the Tokugawa era. My favourite Oda Nobunaga is in this in the first few episodes. However it will deal with the wives, sisters and female children of the nobles. First three episodes are pretty strong and interesting.
Peggy
Since you are watching Gou, thought you might know that Toyokawa Etsushi (Oda Nobunaga) was also in Kita no Zero-nen. See http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/year ... orth.shtml;

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 4th, '11, 18:35

I finished 8 Days of Jeongjo's Assassination, and I recommend it to anyone who likes solid, juicy stories. Yes, they talk a lot. Yes, they use highly elaborated way of speaking. Yes, there is politics in here.
But hell, even knowing the background of this story didn't prevent me from clenching my fists sometimes.
Yes, SKKS made me interested even more in King Jeongjo and his closest environment.

Toya04

Post by Toya04 » Apr 6th, '11, 12:23

Thank you so much for these informations. \o/
Now, is so easy for my to make the diffrence between Taeha and Sageuk.
I love the Korean historical drama. I saw Yi San, Dong Yi, Jumong, Suh Do Young, Dae Jang Geum, Ja Myung Go, Kim So Roo, Kingdom of the Winds, Painter of the Wind, Hong Gil Dong, Iljimae, Hwang Jin Yi, Chuno, etc...
I probably forget some, but i am sur that the most important is here. And, i gonna see "8 Days of Jeongjo's Assassination" if you say you love it ^__^

Thanks *o*

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Apr 10th, '11, 04:07

Ethlenn, what are your top three historical korean dramas?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 10th, '11, 08:11

I haven't seen them all, so I may miss a gem. But I usually clearly distinguish sageuks and taeha (when it's possible).
There is also another criterion - whether the drama is heavy or relatively light. In the middle of those there is SKKS.
I can't make the top 3 list right now, because of the reasons stated above, but I enjoyed (no particular order):
Yi San, QSD (up to ep 50), The King and I, 8 Days of Jeongjo's Assassination,
The Painter of the Wind, SKKS, Return of Iljimae, Hwang Jini, Chuno,
and many others.
Can't make up my mind to create a list.
With movies it would be easier though...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 15th, '11, 15:31

Upcoming historical drama:

Gyebaek
King Gwanggaeto the Great
Onjo Biryu
The Princess' Man
Tree with Deep Roots
Warrior Baek Dong Soo

Jeon Wuchi is still uncertain...

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » May 15th, '11, 16:04

Did I miss Dong Yi somewhere?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 15th, '11, 16:08

Mianhae :pray:
Added^^

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » May 15th, '11, 17:21

Strongest Chill Woo and The Duo?

wndrswan

Post by wndrswan » May 15th, '11, 17:32

West Palace.

I will hopefully be releasing this soon if i can ever convert the japanese subs to .srt -_-;

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 15th, '11, 18:34

dwr478: those are already on the list for some time...
wndrswan: will add^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 5th, '11, 16:33

Gyebaek - July 25
Onjo Biryu -
The Princess' Man - July 20
Tree with Deep Roots - Sep 28

Warrior Baek Dong Soo started pretty good.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 5th, '11, 22:50

E.
I know we are truly interested in ancient history...but I have sent you a PM which is also history.

Try it..you may like it. It is just last century history. I found it fascinating.

wndrswan

another

Post by wndrswan » Jul 12th, '11, 00:06

Found another classic. Do not think its available anywhere and has Choi Soo Jong when he was younger!

Ambition (1994)
80 Episodes

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ambition

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jul 17th, '11, 05:13

im interested in getting into period/historical dramas and wanted to know if anyone had seen these and thinks they are worth watching:

jumong
ballad of suh dong
Iljimae
Legend
Ja myung go
special investigation record
tamna the island
the duo
the king and i
dong yi
daemang
jejoongwan

thanks

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '11, 09:54

Hmm, if you prefer others to tell you what to watch and not try it by yourself, here it goes:

Jumong - good premise, but boring as hell.
Ballad of Seo Dong - it's loosely based on the actual history, but a nice classic
Iljimae - crap, but fangirls love it
The Legend - crap, and I really liked Tangun legend before and all. (btw. this drama's title is The Legend, there is another drama without "the", so no mixing up)
Ja Myung Go - fantasy and re-telling of a classic story, but boring
Secret Investigation Record - good, sci-fi
Tamna the island - good
The duo - crap
The King and I - good
Dong I - boring
Jejoongwon - good

I've yet to see Daemang, so can't tell. But seriously, you picked up so random dramas, and half of them is either fantasy or not much of history itself.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 17th, '11, 13:09

can I just need to add something? :P
Tamna the Island is more than just good. and I am not just saying it because I am biased. try reading some reviews about it and you see my point. the story is very simple, ignore the 1st 15 mins that has nothing to do with story, and you get superb acting from every character on that Island afterwards. This drama holds a special place in my heart even though I have problem classifying it as sageuk but everything is happening in that era so I guess it is a sageuk. 8)

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jul 17th, '11, 17:41

thanks for helping me out. other than skks i have never watched a period drama so I have no idea what's good and don't want to invest time in something only to find out it's not worth my time :-)also a little leery of trying something outside of my comfort zone so I just picked the ones on mysojo that others seemed to like but there were too many to choose from.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 17th, '11, 17:58

But you also have to remember that people have different taste. What I love or like might be something you dislike. I my case, I go for it if I liked the synopsis. To continue or drop that drama comes later. Maybe you should be more daring and come out if your comfort zone a little. That's how I got into Kdramas in the first place. After all, you will never know unless you try. Right? :mrgreen:

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jul 17th, '11, 18:21

yeah i guess your right. I will just have to take the plunge. I think I will start with special investigation record since i do like sci fi and the actor is nummy :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 17th, '11, 20:22

Sister Issy is right. Just try for yourself, make mistakes but polish your own taste. For me this drama is a pure crap, others love it and vice versa.

Watch Chuno if you want getting into sageuks^^

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 17th, '11, 22:16

Ethlenn wrote:Sister Issy is right. Just try for yourself, make mistakes but polish your own taste. For me this drama is a pure crap, others love it and vice versa.

Watch Chuno if you want getting into sageuks^^
Yep. Chuno was the drama that got me really interested in sageuks. even though I saw Hong Gil Dong before that and made me think twice if I want to watch anymore sageuk or not. but all thanks to Chuno for keeping me on the track. as I said, it all goes back to your own taste. you never know. Just do it. :P

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jul 18th, '11, 01:17

ooh that has Jang Hyuk...me likeeeeeee :lol maybe i could give that a try. thanks.

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » Jul 31st, '11, 18:03

I found a period drama called Man Kang (만 강) in a VHS tape library. I have seen nothing about it anyhere. Have you heard about it? It looks to be vintage about 1998 - 2003.
I appears to be 1996.
Last edited by dwr478 on Aug 10th, '11, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

spazzy06

Post by spazzy06 » Aug 10th, '11, 03:16

You forgot Conspiracy in the Court on your list.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 22nd, '11, 18:33

dwr478: never heard of Man Kang (만 강). And no info whatsoever on it.

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » Aug 22nd, '11, 23:01

Wow. I will see if I can clean it up a bit, then.

wndrswan

found

Post by wndrswan » Aug 23rd, '11, 19:54

Here is the info you need dwr!! Seems to me its another name for the Jang Hee Bin Series that aired.

1996 Drama from SBS - 63 Episodes

http://movie.daum.net/tv/detail/main.do ... amId=53101

http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EB%A7%8C%EA%B0%95

Mangang was aired on the SBS 1996 년 1 April to 5 November every Monday, Tuesday night, 21 o'clock 40 minutes is a drama that was aired. KBS aired from 1987 to samogok drama remake of the work, is a 63 part series.

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » Aug 23rd, '11, 22:02

I don't see any relation to Jang Hee Bin in this. It is about two boys, one born to a Yangban family and the other born to a slave family where the father is the same for both babies. The slave mother dies after childbirth but asks with her dying breath that her son be switched with the Yangban son and her friends make that happen. The story is about the two boys throughout their lives. This is my guess from watching the first few episodes and talking to my wife who has seen the entire 63 episodes. The adult Man Kang is played by Im Ho. It is an SBS drama. So, I think you are right about everything but the Jang Hee Bin part.

dwr478

Post by dwr478 » Sep 28th, '11, 14:54

I have now watched Man Kang and it is definitely the 1996 SBS one that wndrswan mentioned above. I copied it from VHS to DVD and ripped the DVD to my computer. Some episodes are ok and some are rather fuzzy even with editing and filtering, but all are generally viewable, even with the very low quality. It is interesting in how it deals with commoners and slaves in a small community. In this respect, it is sageuk. I wonder if SBS will reshow it so someone can capture it in better quality?

wndrswan

Post by wndrswan » Nov 5th, '11, 17:25

Here are a few more titles not on the list I plan on releasing episodes for:

Map of Korea – Life of Kimujonho 1995 - 4 episodes
Mok Min Shim Suh (2000)- 50 episodes
Inspector Park Moon Soo (1999) 20 episodes
Insepctor Park Moon Soo (2002) 15 episodes
Hong Guk Young - 50 episodes
Han Myung Hoe - 100 episodes
Man Kang 63 episodes
Rustic Era [borderline historical]
Namhan Mountian Castle [dvd release is coming in jan!!!!]
Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms (1992)

mudav

Historical kdrama with King falling for the maid female lead

Post by mudav » Nov 9th, '11, 16:11

Hello~^*^
I'm currently watching Yi San and I LOVED the plot idea about King male lead falling for maid female lead <3333
I know that something like this is also in Dong Yi kdrama~
Maybe you would be able to advice me more series with a plot like this?

And I'm interested if there are historical kdramas with plots about arranged marriage~ When King has to marry some girl and he doesn't love her but the more they live together, the mor they are falling for each other:))) Something like in Goong but really historical~^*^

Thanks in advance~^*^

MadaMag

Korean drama with setting in Josen period (list)

Post by MadaMag » Jan 5th, '12, 00:27

Drama Wiki don't have search through genre, and I've come in love with Korean dramas that take place while Josen (joseon) period i.e. 1392-1897.

I don't like the earlier period, as I don't like great battles.
My favorites are Dong Yi and Yi San.

Drama:
  • Dong Yi
    Yi San
    Dae Jang Geum
    Painter Of The Wind
    Strongest Chil Woo
    The Duo
    Tree With Deep Roots
    Warrior Baek Dong Soo
    Chuno - Slave Hunter
    Iljimae
    Damo

The Return of Iljimae
    Hur Jun (Huh Joon)
    The King and I
    Merchant Kim Man Deok
    Jejoongwon
    Secret Investigation Record
Movies:
  • Detective K: Secret Of Virtuous Widow
    The Divine Weapon
So, anyone who want / can help to expand this list?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 5th, '12, 05:07

Dramas:
The Moon that Embraces the Sun
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Sangdo
The Princess' Man
Warrior Baek Dong-soo
Byul Soon Geom (Chosun Police)

Film:
Gone with the Wind (Cha Tae-hyun)
Joseon’s Great Detective: Secret of the Wolfsbane (Kim Myung-min)
I Am the Joseon King (Lee Byung-heon)

MadaMag

Post by MadaMag » Jan 5th, '12, 11:59

Thanks,

Joseon’s Great Detective: Secret of the Wolfsbane and Detective K: Secret Of Virtuous Widow are two titles for the same movie.

MadaMag

Post by MadaMag » Jan 5th, '12, 13:53

Ethlenn,
is it possible to add to the list in the first post alternative titles (Like Jewel in the Palace ect.)?
I find that list very useful, but sometimes a story is easier to find by it's alternative name.

Also, where can I watch Inspector Park Moon Soo?
I read about this historical character, and mahwa that are based on the legends about him, but I can't find the series. (It's not at licensed drama list either)

wndrswan

inspector park moon

Post by wndrswan » Jan 5th, '12, 18:29

I will be releasing inspector park moon HQ encodes at a later date. But i believe there are very low quality rips out on the web.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 5th, '12, 19:06

MadaMag wrote:Ethlenn,
is it possible to add to the list in the first post alternative titles (Like Jewel in the Palace ect.)?
I find that list very useful, but sometimes a story is easier to find by it's alternative name.
I never bothered but will look into this. Some dramas are with alternative titles though.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 5th, '12, 19:43

MadaMag wrote:Ethlenn,
You can search DramaWiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/
for information about Asian dramas.
Usually the original, English and alternative title(s) are written out there.