Alone In Love (SBS, 2006) with Son Yeh Jin

Discuss Korean drama series here.
amaranth

Re: anybody recommend "ALONE IN LOVE"?

Post by amaranth » May 23rd, '06, 15:34

itzjustfranciz wrote:is this series good? i want to see what you guys think of it before i dl it
Uh, well... if you read this thread, what people think about this show is pretty obvious. But let me summarize, in a nutshell:

Bloody darn good!
:thumleft:

Listen to skachild's words of wisdom and "just download it"!

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 23rd, '06, 19:05

I watched episodes 9-10 yesterday but decided to hold off on episode 11 so I would have time to let it all soak in. The rollercoaster ride that is Eun Ho and Dong Jin's relationship is so frustrating. They're both like magnets, pulling in people like crazy. Yet they are both still attached, as the red string in the intro illustrates.

Spoilers [Beware!]:
Where is the adorable little girl!? I'm going to miss the disapproving looks of a 40-year-old in a 7-year-old's body hehe.
Is it just me or are all Eun Ho's suitors creepy? The hotel heir was a stalker and the doctor doesn't seem anymore normal either.

haezi

Post by haezi » May 23rd, '06, 21:10

the last few episodes were such tear jerkers! they will not disappoint
my applause to the actors and film crew for making this such an awesome series. at first, i started watching it because i luv gam woosung, but now i'm infatuated with hana lee (who plays his sister-in-law). i love her realistic yet strange, otherworldly character. her expressions when she is shaken out of bed, eating, or embarrassed are all too adorable and hilarious.

knuts

Post by knuts » May 23rd, '06, 21:50

lennonmanson wrote:
I saw it in some CB that divorced man get married to another woman....is it true...
yes

Ssang

Post by Ssang » May 23rd, '06, 21:59

The latter half, overall, is slow but neccesary. The last two episodes are great. Very funny too. I laughed out loud to many totally unexpected lines, one of the things I like about it. :)

Good show! Thumbsup.

lennonmanson

Post by lennonmanson » May 23rd, '06, 22:14

Ssang wrote:The latter half, overall, is slow but neccesary. The last two episodes are great. Very funny too. I laughed out loud to many totally unexpected lines, one of the things I like about it. :)

Good show! Thumbsup.
did you watch without subs....

Koga1

Post by Koga1 » May 23rd, '06, 22:40

It's darn good, and very un-Korean, for one single reason:

It was written by the late Nozawa Hisashi (who wrote Koori no Sekai (1999); Nemureru Mori (1998)}! The only saving grace is it was not yet dramatized in japan.

Just because the actors are speaking Korean and the setting is Korea doesn't mean the drama is Korean.

K-Drama reached its limit last year. 'Kim Sam-Soon' was probably the last serious Korean hit. It has exhausted all creativity and its top-rated dramas are for older housewives.

So they began remaking Japanese dramas, including the 101st propose, White Tower, the 100 million stars, etc.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » May 23rd, '06, 23:00

Koga1, there's no competition going on here. There's no need to think in terms of "them" "they" "us" "we", which is seems very shallow.

I can refer you to a lot of K dramas that don't cater to the "housewives", and making a drama based on writers outside of one's country - as long as it's good- isn't anything new. Drama isn't about childish nationalism. I also noted that it's based on Nozawa Hisashi novel in the first post.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 24th, '06, 15:02

Very strange post indeed, Koga1...
Let me get this straight: Alone in Love isn't a "real" KDrama because, what, it's good? un-Korean? It seems like you're denying Korean playwrights/actors/directors/networks the right to make untypical dramas, while at the same time complaining that KDrama has become bad due to lacking creativity. I'm not sure I get it... :scratch:
I watch both Japanese and Korean dramas - I actually started with the former way before the latter. One thing I know is that there is utter crap (pardon my French) on both sides. Just look at how many dorama are solely intended to promote some idoru or other. As Ssang pointed out, what's the point of turning this into a competition?
I'll take quality no matter where it comes from or what inspired it - unless it's a blatant ripoff unworthy of the original, which is clearly not the case with Alone in Love.

buffyreg
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by buffyreg » May 25th, '06, 09:35

Can't wait to understand every single word they are saying... but so far what i saw was a relief... i was just reading between the lines in the last 5 episodes and whatever they were saying, just too many dialougues, the ending was worth every single seconds watching this drama... no hang-ups...
Really astounding twist and the very unpredictable, happened... No more jokes at the last few eppies, but still makes you laugh and cry at the same time...
and it doesnt matter if its korean or what but whoever made this drama possible, thumbs-up! you are great guys...

RedCoral

Post by RedCoral » May 26th, '06, 10:57

I watched ep 11 last night ...and all I can say is wow. :twisted:

Koga1

Post by Koga1 » May 26th, '06, 14:31

.>Let me get this straight: Alone in Love isn't a "real" KDrama because, what, it's good? un-Korean?

> It seems like you're denying Korean playwrights/actors/directors/networks the right to make untypical dramas,

I do think that the late Nozawa Hisashi's ashes (in Japan almost everyone is cremated) would be flying at wherever it was scattered if he heard the comment that he was a "Korean playwright".

> while at the same time complaining that KDrama has become bad due to lacking creativity. I'm not sure I get it... scratch

Yes, it has become bad. The top-rated KDramas, such as "Hanul-Isiyeo", are not seeded because they do not interest nonKoreans, since they are created to cater to the tastes of older Korean women. A close Japanese comparison might be that "Oni" drama which don't make sense even to younger Japanese audiences, and clearly intended for older Japanese.

The difference is while "Oni" is one of the many in Japan, in Korea such dramas ousted the great hits and became the mainstay.

These dramas don't need expensive young stars, and so younger and lesser-known actors and actresses are used with the requisite poor acting and soaplike story.

Son Yejin was paid about $25,000(some say $50,000) per each episode of "Alone in Love"., which never entered the top ten.

Han Hyejin, the star of "Be Strong Kum-Soon"(another drama catering to the older generation, and the second biggest hit after Kim Samsoon) in 2005 and a virtual unknown at that time, was paid $600 per each episode of that series.

Granted, such series run into a hundred and some episode, still such cheapo dramas have become the mainstay since they deliver consistent ratings without a big overhead.

>I'll take quality no matter where it comes from or what inspired it - unless it's a blatant ripoff unworthy of the original, which is clearly not the case with Alone in Love.

You will see plenty of that soon. They will re-make "The White Tower", "The 100 Million Stars", "Orange Days", etc. However their remakes of "Yamato Nadeshiko" and "Hoshi no Kinka" had been badly botched so I am not holding too much hope on the newer remakes.

Bam-Bam

Post by Bam-Bam » May 27th, '06, 04:45

Koga1 wrote:It's darn good, and very un-Korean, for one single reason:

It was written by the late Nozawa Hisashi (who wrote Koori no Sekai (1999); Nemureru Mori (1998)}! The only saving grace is it was not yet dramatized in japan.

Just because the actors are speaking Korean and the setting is Korea doesn't mean the drama is Korean.

K-Drama reached its limit last year. 'Kim Sam-Soon' was probably the last serious Korean hit. It has exhausted all creativity and its top-rated dramas are for older housewives.

So they began remaking Japanese dramas, including the 101st propose, White Tower, the 100 million stars, etc.

*Me thinks Koga1 is a Japanese with inferiority complex? :roll

--> Is it just me... doesn't Son Yejin reminds you guys of Jang Nara?

--> This series is too freaking depressing for me. No wonder suicide rate is so high in Japan. :goggle:

itzjustfranciz

Post by itzjustfranciz » May 27th, '06, 04:56

This drama series is very relaxing, funny and it doesnt look like those other kind of drama with the love triangle thingy going on. haha i love it.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 27th, '06, 10:58

Koga1 wrote:I do think that the late Nozawa Hisashi's ashes (in Japan almost everyone is cremated) would be flying at wherever it was scattered if he heard the comment that he was a "Korean playwright".
Can you please read what I actually write and not what you want to extrapolate from it? Unless Nozawa Hisashi has come back from the dead to pen Korean TV shows, he does not write any screenplay and dialogue for Korean drama. "But then", the disbelieving crowd gasps in dread, "who could possibly be writing Kdrama screenplays and dialogue if Nozawa Hisashi isn't?" :drumrolls: Ta-daaa: Korean playwrights!
Bottom line: don't twist my words around. :mrgreen:
As for the rest of your argument, whatever, it's all personal opinions (not to mention the subject doesn't warrant a flame war). But I just wanted to point out that nobody likes to have their arguments misrepresented. That said, peace and love everyone :cheers:

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » May 27th, '06, 11:09

Koga1 wrote:
You will see plenty of that soon. They will re-make "The White Tower", "The 100 Million Stars", "Orange Days", etc. However their remakes of "Yamato Nadeshiko" and "Hoshi no Kinka" had been badly botched so I am not holding too much hope on the newer remakes.
Of course Japan would never remake korean dramas or movies *cough..My Boss My Hero* :roll

Koga1

Post by Koga1 » May 30th, '06, 14:17

>Ta-daaa: Korean playwrights!
Bottom line: don't twist my words around.

That's like McDonald's. Everything comes pre-cooked. All the minimum wage cooks at the McD do are reheat it so it would be edible.

Same thing with this. The Korean playwright just translated Nozawa's words, plus changed a little bit to make it more palatable to Korean audience.

The last part, which is not in Nozawa's original, was much inferior; that part showed the true 'talent' of the 'Korean playwright'.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 30th, '06, 22:56

Yeah, I know, I'm a loser for quoting myself...
amaranth wrote: peace and love everyone :cheers:

octoberproj

That's enough! Koga1. (WARINING - may include some spoilers)

Post by octoberproj » May 31st, '06, 10:50

Koga1. I think you're missing a point here. This is where people come and talk about the drama, Alone In Love, not discuss the merits and problems of K-Dramas. If you don't like Korean playwrights, I suggest that you not bother to watch 'em. You're simply being rude coming here complainin' and bitchin' about the way K-dramas are made.

Btw, the TV show is, imo, much better than the original novel by Nozawa, though I think he was a great writer and enjoyed some of the shows based on his playwrights. I've bought and read his book, Age of Romance, translated in Korean; the original novel and translated version were published here in Korea as the TV show started.

Guess what! The ending of the TV show faithfully followed that of the novel. Yes, there are some scenes that are not Nozawa's. Still, the endings are the same; you'd agree if you read the book.

And the script of the show is very much different from the novel: Jiho, the sister, is not a goofy slob and not romantically involved with Dr. Gong in the original novel. Rather she has a crush on her brother-in-law DongJin and confides to him at the end of it, which would be quite hard for Korean audience to stomach.

One more thing, the narration at the end of each episode is not by Nozawa, but by the Korean writers you seem to look down on. And these narrations and the OST have become a big hit amongst Korean netizens and been used in many blogs and vlogs.
In the novel, Haru(EunHo played by Son Yejin in the TV show) presided over the marriage of Richiro(DongJin) and his childhood sweetheart. Married by his ex-wife: would that be something, Huh?
If you asked me, I'd say the Nozawa's original is more of a male fantasy and the TV show writers made it very convincing - and sometimes hilarious - for audience, Korean or not.
Attachments
Original Novel by Nozawa Hisashi - Book 1
Original Novel by Nozawa Hisashi - Book 1
4846804.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Original Novel by Nozawa Hisashi - Book 2
Original Novel by Nozawa Hisashi - Book 2
4846807.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
snap_j_200651_0056.jpg
snap_j_200651_0056.jpg (120.52 KiB) Viewed 4008 times

honhon9

Post by honhon9 » May 31st, '06, 18:19

Sooooooooooooooo addicted to this Drama...
I was just recommending this to my friend in Germany ;-)

Seems like amaranth is the #1 fan for this huh? :)
I agree with you, amaranth how you said this drama was way better and different than from other Kdramas...

Let's all wait patiently for the subs ^___^ (I know it's hard:P)

haezi

Post by haezi » Jun 1st, '06, 02:21

thanks, octoberproj, for clearing things up! while koga1's posts are definitely "interesting," i'm glad to find that more credit should be given to the korean writers who wrote the script--especially Jiho's character (this actress is amazing--the cast is amazing). at least we all agree that Alone in Love is a great drama.

RedCoral

Post by RedCoral » Jun 10th, '06, 00:37

I’m really enjoying this drama, it’s so sad :cry: ……they love each other, why can they just connect. I guess too much pain! I want to shake them between tears. The sister (who sings very well in English) and the best friend are very funny…they lighten up the mood.

Cinemade

Post by Cinemade » Jun 13th, '06, 04:49

I haven't read through the thread entirely (for fear of unintentional spoiling), but wanted to chime in on my opinions of the drama thus far (I'm on ep 12).

I'd have to say that the pacing and general "feel" of this drama is indeed very different and from skimming the postings I saw some reasons why. Though I'm not sure yet if I like or dislike all the different characters that come into play and the focus (or it seems to me) on the relationships other than our main characters. It kind of sucks the relationships Eun Ho has seem to reaffirm that she really misses Dong Jin...while it seems the opposite for Dong Jin's relationships. It's always some funny scenes when they're together too :)

Can't wait to see how things are wrapped up...and hopefully find out why they "really" broke up to begin with!

CallaLillieszz

Post by CallaLillieszz » Jun 14th, '06, 00:53

i'm on episode 14....he got married..wonder what will happen....

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Jun 14th, '06, 05:46

Omg, I'm just at the fourth episode but is already wondering about how it is gonna end... Do anyone have any spoilers about the ending about how Dong Jin and Eun Ho ended up? Would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance! :lol

Jesette

Post by Jesette » Jun 20th, '06, 06:49

I've just started watching this drama two days ago and it's getting interesting and it's funny. Son Ye Jin is still as beautiful as ever. She may look a little bit mature here but it suits her because she's doing a role of a divorcee.

tai4ji2x

Dunkin' Donuts product placement/advertsing

Post by tai4ji2x » Jun 20th, '06, 11:01

this is a good drama, i'm liking it - much better than SYJ's summer scent, which bored and annoyed the hell out of me.

still, there's one thing that i can't get out of my head now, having watched up to ep 12...

HOW IN THE WORLD does Dunkin' Donuts expect us to believe that a supposedly "professional" fitness consultant/personal trainer can look like SYJ does, and yet still eat 2-3 donuts PLUS a coolatta/soda/juice/(insert any other sugary drink here) almost every day, as depicted in this series!?!?!? i mean, seriously!!!! how much did they pay the studio!?!?! :glare:

RedCoral

Re: Dunkin' Donuts product placement/advertsing

Post by RedCoral » Jun 20th, '06, 22:16

tai4ji2x wrote:this is a good drama, i'm liking it - much better than SYJ's summer scent, which bored and annoyed the hell out of me.

still, there's one thing that i can't get out of my head now, having watched up to ep 12...

HOW IN THE WORLD does Dunkin' Donuts expect us to believe that a supposedly "professional" fitness consultant/personal trainer can look like SYJ does, and yet still eat 2-3 donuts PLUS a coolatta/soda/juice/(insert any other sugary drink here) almost every day, as depicted in this series!?!?!? i mean, seriously!!!! how much did they pay the studio!?!?! :glare:

LOL I was thinking the same thing.....They must have invested a lot of money in this drama.
It is a very good drama :thumright:

greenpea133

Post by greenpea133 » Jun 24th, '06, 20:45

I really like this drama. I like how it goes with the flow. I thought the little girl, her mother, and the hotel man would be on the show for all 16 episodes, but i guess not. Then suddenly the school sweetheart lady is on and how she's part of the 2nd half of the drama. The songs are not memorable, but they sound sooo cute. I hope that they end up together.

waterboi

Post by waterboi » Jun 26th, '06, 05:18

this series was really good.. the humour was just about right to keep the series mature and realistic.. finished the drama pretty fast actually.. and i found the side story with son ye jin's sister and the doctor quite interesting and funny too.
i just wanted to clear up about the ending.. it's about that boy that they showed before showing eun sol saying that he didn't like eggs.. was that boy someone's son..what i mean is he a son of a character in the drama? or is he just there to lead to eun sol's part?

Jesette

Post by Jesette » Jun 27th, '06, 08:26

This is a very good series, but I don't think romantic buffs won't be able to relate here. It's a story about a separate couple who is trying to find second chance of love with others. However, they realized later that the reason why they can't find true happiness in other arms, is because they are still deeply in love with each other. Son Ye Jin is very good here. I highly recommend this for all those who are still thinking to watch it...

Yoda

Post by Yoda » Jun 27th, '06, 16:46

I have been fortunate to come across d-addicts in 2004 via a college friend. All i did before that was watch the dramas on TV which is nothing compared to what I can find on d-addicts. Up till now, I had my fair share of korean dramas thanks to all those involved in bringing us the subtitles.

And among all the korean dramas that I have watched thus far, "Alone In Love" is THE best. It beats all others. A tribute to the casts, directors and producers. I love Son Ye Jin and Gam.

ChristinePak

Post by ChristinePak » Jun 27th, '06, 16:49

Yoda wrote:I have been fortunate to come across d-addicts in 2004 via a college friend. All i did before that was watch the dramas on TV which is nothing compared to what I can find on d-addicts. Up till now, I had my fair share of korean dramas thanks to all those involved in bringing us the subtitles.

And among all the korean dramas that I have watched thus far, "Alone In Love" is THE best. It beats all others. A tribute to the casts, directors and producers. I love Son Ye Jin and Gam.
I am d/ling it now~ NOW I'm REALY EXCITED! :w00t:

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Jun 28th, '06, 15:44

waterboi wrote:this series was really good.. the humour was just about right to keep the series mature and realistic.. finished the drama pretty fast actually.. and i found the side story with son ye jin's sister and the doctor quite interesting and funny too.
i just wanted to clear up about the ending.. it's about that boy that they showed before showing eun sol saying that he didn't like eggs.. was that boy someone's son..what i mean is he a son of a character in the drama? or is he just there to lead to eun sol's part?
Nope, I don't think he's a son to any character in the drama but as Son Ye Jin goes on narrating about how ppl found love, lose love etc... the part with the lil boy where he says he dislikes Eun Sol bugging him is to emphasize that Eun Sol might be starting to experience a like/love feeling too :-) Then it explains why she asks her mum... "Omma... sarang-i mul-kka?" And if you realised it, her mum was so shocked that Eun Sol is asking such a question that she dropped what she was holding, something like that... hehehe That's what I think... :roll
Just finished this series a few days ago and words are undescribable to describe this drama :lol At first, it gave me the feeling that it was gonna be a serious one, but it turned out to be quite a light-hearted and funny at times too. Really love the 4 leads character and the feelings they evoke are so genuine, that at times, seeing them act, especially Gam Woo Seung & Son Ye Jin... seems like you can feel the pain they're going through... this is definitely a MUST-WATCH! :thumright:

Koga1

If Nozawa Hisashi could watch this "Korean Drama"

Post by Koga1 » Jun 29th, '06, 23:02

he would have hanged himself again.

It was not he who agreed its Korean adaptation; it was whoever got his rights now who agreed.

If he didn't hang himself he would not have allowed it.

I know this drama would be going to japan someday. Otherwise it does not justify the high fees Son Yejin got for this low-ratings drama.

I hope they at least change the names back to Hayase and Eto when it goes to Japan.

Ricochan

Post by Ricochan » Jul 1st, '06, 13:30

I really love this serie, since son ye jin is in it, who I think is the best actress in korea (and the prettiest also) :-)

shootingst8r

Post by shootingst8r » Jul 5th, '06, 22:33

Hi, I am reading a lot of great comments on this drama.

Can I ask where I can download it?? I am new to this site and downloading.

Thanks so much!!

Rydia

Post by Rydia » Jul 6th, '06, 00:17

This may be a stupid question (pardon me since I'm new), but I can't seem to find any of the episodes of 연애시대 for download. I've just been watching all of my dramas on the KBS site since it's free registration, but I have no money to pay for registration for SBS. ^^; Can anyone direct me on where I need to go to download the eps of this? I loooove 손예진 (and am Korean, so I don't need subtitles either). :] (Also, I skimmed through the pages in this thread, but I saw a spoiler, so I tried to skim for links... and came up with nothing.)

Thanks in advance... and I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate question to be asking!

<b>EDIT:</b> Nevermind, my question was answered. Thank you! :)
Last edited by Rydia on Jul 6th, '06, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jul 6th, '06, 00:17

shootingst8r wrote:Can I ask where I can download it?? I am new to this site and downloading.!
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

yizimomo

Post by yizimomo » Jul 12th, '06, 08:43

anyone know the name of the song that son ye jin ( Eun Ho ) forced to sing during the wedding on the cruise? i cant find it in the OST.. =( the song is so touching..

son_yejin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Eun-ho's song. =]

Post by son_yejin » Jul 12th, '06, 10:05

yizimomo wrote:anyone know the name of the song that son ye jin ( Eun Ho ) forced to sing during the wedding on the cruise? i cant find it in the OST.. =( the song is so touching..
Hey yizimomo, the title of the song is Noon mool song Thank You. I absolutely love that song, moved me to tears while listening to it over and over again.
So in case you'd like that song, here, i uploaded it for you. This isn't in the OST, i assume this has been ripped off from the drama. <33
Got this off soompi, here: http://d.turboupload.com/d/772759/A0000 ... 1.wma.html

On-topic, I really adore this drama, thoroughly impressed with the excellent script, the cast (especially gam woon-sung and son ye-jin, plus the supporting cast.) I love how they told their story, almost in a dream-like way.

Though not the typical korean drama, this managed to touch me in more ways than one, go watch it, you won't ever regret doing so. =]

mms

Post by mms » Jul 23rd, '06, 22:07

does anyone know the title of the end song of the drama? who sings it? it's track 4 in the OST n also played in ep13 somewhere near the end n with subtitles going.. ~No matter how I think, I am still..~. Really2 love the song, but couldn't find more info about it. Thanks in advance!

blueMC

Post by blueMC » Aug 31st, '06, 05:23

i love this series!! it's not the typical kdrama that has a lot of twists and complications. the story, the characters, the dialogue were all good.

here are some of my favorite lines:

Episode 6

Slowly. You want to start from two.
With some love [in some cases], you don't know exactly when it has started.
Get closer... You'd want to put your arms around him.
---

Episode 7

That day... you stood here.
That time... the sun was just rising.
Your face reflected the beautiful sunlight.

That's called the effect of lighting.

Yes. Under the effect of lighting, you saved me. However it is, I loved you.
---

Episode 10

Her face was so fair and her eyes were like a work of art.
She had deep double eyelids and when she smiled, I thought I was going crazy.

First love for a guy is... Romantic...
---

Episode 12

To judge whether I like that guy or not, there's a certain level. I must see if I can imagine or not.

What sort of imagination?

The imagination of letting that guy hug me.

You mean the moment you hug together? The imagination of that feeling, right?

Are you still a student?
---

Episode 13

When I am alone in love, I can be casual.
When I am alone in love, I can give up if I don't like it anymore.
But if the other side also says he likes me, then it seems like I need to be responsible for my feelings.

Afraid?

Yes.
---

If only we could tell with one glance who is our other half.
---

Episode 16

Can happiness be reached that easily?
Hesitating, stopping halfway, do you think that can make you happy?
If you don't try hard, you can't be happy.

** credits to the translators - they did a great job :thumright:

Elly

Post by Elly » Sep 10th, '06, 21:19

KoreanMania wrote:Just finished this series a few days ago and words are undescribable to describe this drama :lol At first, it gave me the feeling that it was gonna be a serious one, but it turned out to be quite a light-hearted and funny at times too. Really love the 4 leads character and the feelings they evoke are so genuine, that at times, seeing them act, especially Gam Woo Seung & Son Ye Jin... seems like you can feel the pain they're going through... this is definitely a MUST-WATCH! :thumright:
Yeah, me too. Really loved this one, maybe the true first realistic drama I've ever watched; the serious tone is always well-balanced with the humorous one, in fact you can also perceive a thin irony between the lines. And it was also the first time I didn't feel the need to use the fast forward button when it comes to the secondary characters :mrgreen: (even if in the end I never use it ^^;) ; all in all they are so deeply developed that they can also seem the main ones, I'd say ^^; Such a great story.
As far as concerns me, everything in this drama is simply awesome, good cast and plot, and what about the dialogues.... I'm speechless. :wub:

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Sep 20th, '06, 05:51

i love this drama

it definitely ranks up as one of my faves

...someone mention that this drama didnt have fantastic ratings as expected??

these ppl dont know what they're missing

but then again, this drama is alike to lovers in prague in a sense that its not an idol drama and targeted more serious, mature audiences.

make_it_rite

Post by make_it_rite » Oct 7th, '06, 12:21

This should be good rite...i will dl it...thanks...

chocoLatte12

Post by chocoLatte12 » Dec 26th, '06, 14:59

Like what others are complementing about.. the script is awesome in this drama.. This is a big break from the usual love triangle (or square for some instances..hehe..) korean dramas usually have. The plot is also one of its kind as most of the time, writers focus on "before the break-up" rather than what happened after that. And, I love the performance of the characters.. they all did a good job.

Although Lee Jin Wook's character here is unlikable for some, I believe that he did a perfect job in portraying an easy-go-lucky rich guy. Son Yeh Jin is as always a beauty.. I wonder why they keep on hiding her tummy in the later part of the series. :scratch: Kam Woo Sung is as funny as always.. I love it when he delivers his lines..haha.. I didn't know Lee Hana can sing well.. is she a singer?

All in all, though I'm still episodes away from the ending.. this is a good drama that is worth watching for all fans who are not only into good story but good script. Highly recommended

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Dec 29th, '06, 17:15

I had been absent from the Kdrama scene for quite a while due to my fervent dislike to the formulaic dramas milked from the Korean wave. However I'm still looking out for good dramas to watch... After watching some unsatisfactory Jdramas this season and the last, I figured... why not try a Kdrama for a change as I heard several good comments from fellow Kdrama fans about how much Kdramas had improved this year. And so, out of random curiosity, I downloaded this drama because the synopsis sounded very intriguing to me. Story about two very ordinary divorcees trying to love each other again is something that I don't see very often in Kdrama. Coming in with zero expectations, I soon became genuinely interested. This drama is awesome, judging from the sheer first 3 episodes I watched. The characters are endearing, and what should I say, the interactions between all of them are so engaging. Watching this drama reminds me so much of a Japanese manga I love - Maison Ikkoku, the set up of the characters, the random incidents, the style of story-telling. So it didn't come as much of a surprise for me when I learned that this drama is adapted from a Japanese novel. Even so, the way the scripts play out is interesting in its own way, together with the excellent actings from the cast, I must say that I am very pleased I found this drama :). Watching this a little bit every day is the best way to enjoy the drama, imo. These characters turn out to be just like most of the people I know, a little confused, a little indecisive sometimes but very kind. And the humour, did I say how much I love the humour in this one?? So subtle yet so outrageously funny.

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Mar 12th, '07, 05:17

SUPER BUMP!

Did this drama have a happy ending or something? I just wanna knw cuz ive been watching alot of sad ones >_> and i dont think i can take it anymores lol

7654321friend

Post by 7654321friend » Mar 12th, '07, 06:19

SUPER BUMP!

Did this drama have a happy ending or something? I just wanna knw cuz ive been watching alot of sad ones >_> and i dont think i can take it anymores lol
ya, its a happy ending to me, meaningful drama

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Mar 12th, '07, 17:27

ah okioki thanks for telling me =)

deBbIE~

Post by deBbIE~ » Mar 14th, '07, 01:27

I've heard lots and lots of great comments about this drama. When would there be subs for it?

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Mar 14th, '07, 01:38

deBbIE~ wrote:I've heard lots and lots of great comments about this drama. When would there be subs for it?
yes the subs are finished...it's in the subtitle index have fun watching this drama, I enjoyed it very much :D

dhkimboa

Post by dhkimboa » Mar 15th, '07, 05:43

is there anyone klubbox i kould get this from?

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Mar 16th, '07, 03:40

i cant this drama in the torrent..can anyone explain to me the reason..i've watched this drama once...but i have an exam on the last episode of this drama...i wan tto download it..please help me...

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 16th, '07, 04:01

It is licensed so the torrents have been removed. http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Licensed_KDramas

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Mar 16th, '07, 04:27

i got it fromm this clubbox: http://clubbox.co.kr/creidesca

For subs, I got them off here (i tihnk)

dhkimboa

Post by dhkimboa » Mar 17th, '07, 00:08

crimmy wrote:i got it fromm this clubbox: http://clubbox.co.kr/creidesca

For subs, I got them off here (i tihnk)
thanks a lot for your info ^^
now i know where to get this from ^^

lumanogin

Post by lumanogin » Jun 12th, '07, 19:42

I loved this drama. At first I felt like it was going too slow, but after a few episodes I forgot everything I knew about the cheesiness of Korean dramas and fell into it completely. Best acting I've seen so far and I liked the way they shot it like a movie.

I fell in love with the character that Moon Jeong Hee played. She was absolutely gorgeous in this drama.

azaazajoojihoon

drama

Post by azaazajoojihoon » Aug 4th, '07, 02:09

i'm really different from some of you, well most of you. I watched it up to like episode 4 and fell in love with it. At first, it was only because i wanted to watch everything Son Ye Jin was in, but later i found the drama carry wisdom and well as humor. As of now, i'm on episode 9 but watching it w/o subs until they come out on veoh. I also spoiled the drama, but it's ok, cuz i want to know what the ending means and how it fits in.

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Aug 8th, '07, 06:12

Im really surprised that this drama never got the attention it deserved =( This show is sooo goood and eventhough the plot got more serious at the latter eps, it still maintained its humor (something that most kdramas should do >_>)

If you havent seen this show, you're missing out.

ljkluvr11

Post by ljkluvr11 » Aug 21st, '07, 02:45

i agree with crimmy
this show should've been super popular
the plot is sooo amazing
it isn't the typical k-drama where there's a forbidden love
or some1 die because of cancer, car accident, lost memories and yadi yadi yadi
it is sooo AWESOM!!!!
i'm almost finish with it and i wonder how it would end....
ppl are really missing out on this series

goyang

Post by goyang » Aug 30th, '07, 18:29

sorry to ask...
but where can i download the full episode of this series with english sub???
help me please...
if u don't mind can u give me the link???
thx so much.....

ljkluvr11

Post by ljkluvr11 » Aug 31st, '07, 01:53

well u don't have to dowload it
i watch it for free on veoh.com
but don't go to the one that say alone in love 1a or any episode with letters
go to the numbers one
like 1.1 for the first part of ep. 1
cus the letter ones doens't have english sub.
not all the eps. are uploaded
it's bout 14 right now
but by the time u get to 14 all the eps. are gonna be uploaded
so ENJOY!!! :D

goyang

Post by goyang » Sep 1st, '07, 11:15

yeaa... but i can't just watch it like that..b'cos i've got bendwith internet..
so i must download it at off peak timewhich is 2.00 am in the morning... that's why i want to download it, if i must watch it via veoh. means that i must watch at 2.00 am...
lol
btw, thx for the help...
thx2

ljkluvr11

Post by ljkluvr11 » Sep 2nd, '07, 01:39

oohhhh sorrie
idk where
maybe could go and google it or something
good luck :D

Merkmerk

Post by Merkmerk » Feb 18th, '08, 23:03

I just finished this drama, and wow.

The writing is so clever - it has the best elements of an absolutely top notch american movie, and there is not one single american drama that can come close to the witty dialogue or acting.

I especially liked the relationship between Ji Ho and Dr. Gong.

For example - many scenes in this drama don't require any words whatsoever, they manage to express the feeling intended completely with excellent acting and cinematography.

By the second episode I was completely hooked - and the ending was done very well.

ps. the professor's ex wife is beautiful :D

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 19th, '08, 07:22

Yeah, Alone in Love is my all-time favorite trendy drama, and it's one of the best pieces of television I've seen about the transition from newlywed love to family rearing, about how your relationship with your parents shapes one's attitudes about parenting and still needing a parent, about that point in life where the future is so uncertain and yet daily life is so very habitual and predictable . . Soulmate may be about the deception, seduction and revelation of love. But Alone in Love is about all the stuff after that. It's about the living that comes after love.

About all those things and more. Every episode is a diamond-cut gem of aphoristic insights into, inventive film editing, and a marvelous argument that the best Asian drama would combine the naturalistic banter of Korean drama, the thematic episode writing and sense of playful and tragic absurdity of (old school) Japanese drama, and the all-around production quality of American cable dramas. Or to put it another way, Alone In Love moved the bar of trendy drama so, so far ahead -- writing, production, insight, humor and banal spin on tragedy -- that you'll continue to see future dramas take on elements. Like when I watch Coffee Prince and its treatment of the 2ndary couple -- their ambivalence -- I see a little bit of what I love about Alone in Love in there.

Alone in Love is maybe the only show I've ever watched that I loved so much that I didn't want to finish. That after every episode, I knew I was watching a kind of delicious perfection that I know wasn't going to come around again for a long time. And the show confirmed my suspicion that Son Yeh Jin could be one of the truly great lead actors of her generation, IF she wants to continue challenging herself, like Lee Na Young, Moon So Ri, and Jeon Do-yeon. She is one of the among very rare among Korean leads who can continuously pull from text and give interesting line readings, turn on a phrase and locate the sardonic tone, the ethical conflict that gives pause and tension to a response. That and Episode 15 has the one of most painful scene I've ever seen in K-drama; and no it didn't involve a terminal disease or even one violent act. It just involved a song, and it was heartbreaking.

Now I should point, btw, that a friend of mine absolutely hates this show. :D She found it dull, annoying, and she absolutely can't stand Gam Wu-seong. So there you go! :D

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 19th, '08, 11:23

Horses for Courses.....

Because of your glowing praise of this drama, I am now forced to watch it a lot earlier than I would've liked, so I really do hope that you are right and your friend hasn't got a clue :)

But heh....I guess Son Yeh Jin alone, is enough reason to sit through this, no matter how tedious!

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 19th, '08, 13:27

so I really do hope that you are right and your friend hasn't got a clue
She and I just don't agree. She liked what she saw of Jumong, but called it "anime." To her (also a resident doctor), Thank You is a comedy. :D She couldn't make it through one episode of Love Story in Paris without getting angry at her homeland.

Oh and she (the Han Hye Jin look-alike), liking Love Story in Harvard and Attic City, called Kim Tae Hee "plain." (Well, gee, if you think she's plain, what about the rest of us . .. ) I don't know -- I think what I learned from her is that South Korean doesn't like K-dramas as much as everybody else. :D

We do agree on So Ji Sub and Lee Byung Hung. Maybe not the latter as a Korean ninja though . . . .
.I guess Son Yeh Jin alone, is enough reason to sit through this, no matter how tedious!
This is her best role, TV or movie. Alone in Love is essentially her main character's story, and there's a darker subtext there. Alone in Love was based on a Japanese novel by an author who kinda lost his bout with depression. If you listen to the dialogue carefully, what her main character is saying doesn't always jibe with what you see on screen. It's a much sadder, lonelier (and bittersweet) portrait -- and she can be interpreted as a mouthpiece for novelist's own pessimistic views on men and women -- but this portrait is nicely lit by K-drama tropes of, well, love and happiness. It balances itself out. One thing I love about Alone in Love is that it'll make you laugh only to sucker punch you with something else. In any case, this is a showcase for Son Yeh Jin as an actress. Both her comic and dramatic talents -- the way she squints into a phrase, the way she chomps on food, the way she'll walk greatly disturbed -- basically all the showy stuff that kinda singles her out as one of the true talents in her age group.

Also, some of the side characters and even the recurring bar setting are more typical of J-dramas. Though a lot of the cinematography itself is shot like a movie. You don't really notice it, the editing is so sharp and on point. And sometimes the director starts to have fun with personal imaginations.

Also worth mentioning is Oh Yoon Ah's scene-stealing performance as the single mum. She went from this to her scene-stealing performance in Someday (she outshone Bae Doo Na there) and then another solid one in Surgeon Bong Dal Hee. X even nominated her as best actress of 2006 for this ex-racer queen's unlikel

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 20th, '08, 14:36

I believe Mr. X also nominated Alone in Love as one of the best dramas in 2006 only behind Jumong and Shin Don. Damn X and his penchant for Sageuks :)

Well, looks like I'm definitely gonna watch this one then, and it's gonna be my first SYJ series. I've seen like 4 of her movies but none of her dramas. Wasn't gonna touch Summer Scent with any pole no matter what size! So thanks for the recommendation and did you know that I usually have a dictionary handy when reading your posts? :P

xk

Post by xk » Feb 20th, '08, 18:18

Where can I download this drama?

I'm interested in this. Help!!

:alcoholic:

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 20th, '08, 18:27

Wasn't gonna touch Summer Scent with any pole no matter what size!
First half isn't all that bad. Yoon Suk Ho has A LOT of fun working the summer motif (and shot in a semitropical setting), and the show is a riot of color and spatial layering (he does a lot of interesting stuff putting his main characters into background/foreground, using lush vegetation.) Summer Scent is a kind of his study in lust and desire, and the first half of it does a decent job with it.

You can kinda tell the show was written with Song Seung Hun and Song Hye Kyo in mind, and I imagine had SHK taken the role, they would stuck closer to a Autumn Tale-style storyline. Both SYJ and SSH are sweaty through the first half of the show . . . Ryu Jin's very good (and looks just dapper, man is ultimate GQ), and Han Ji Hye's very, very annoying (and her hair looks terrible here, just crispy and damaged.)
I believe Mr. X also nominated Alone in Love as one of the best dramas in 2006 only behind Jumong and Shin Don. Damn X and his penchant for Sageuks
I think Mr. X's 2006 went something like

#5 Soulmate
#4 Alone in Love
#3 Goodbye Solo
#2 Jumong
#1 Shin Don

Even speaking outside of bias, I think he actually underrated Alone in Love against his criteria.

He's a big fan of Damo's director Lee Jae Kyo, partially because he frequently uses cinematic effects and flashier edits/effects (which everybody else copies whenever they get the money.) BUT, Alone in Love's film grammar is actually more sophisticated. He uses lots of locations, but he keeps the establishing shots under control, and he shows a lot of medium and long shots, then coming into the close-up. This is more associated with film, and it's one of the things that makes people think they're watching a movie rather than a TV show. Alone in Love was finished entirely before airing time, and that's a big deal because you can tell the director had a lot of time to do exquisitely coordinated cuts of characters running or riding bikes, jumping between different timelines and such. Just really well done.

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Mar 27th, '08, 03:51

Man, I can't help but fall in love with such a series. There are dramas in which I pull all nighters and finish it ASAP just because I enjoyed it so much, yet with Alone in Love, I find myself putting off from watching more than 1 episode a night, in fear of taking away from the series' enjoyment.

Just finished Episode 7, and I must say I'm somewhat saddened by the departure of the 2 supporting characters. I loved Mi Yeon, her shallow facade of luxury overshadows her miserable state. Her demands for Eun So's apology was just so pathetic, I couldn't get myself to garner hate for her because of it.

Although her conclusion wasn't exactly happy, it certainly left a feeling of contentment. *sigh* I don't want her to go :(. Episode 7 was kickass.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 27th, '08, 04:18

I loved Mi Yeon, her shallow facade of luxury overshadows her miserable state. Her demands for Eun So's apology was just so pathetic, I couldn't get myself to garner hate for her because of it.
It's a scene stealing performance from Oh Yoon Ah, and she won an award for her performance.
What's not explictly stated in Alove in Love is that Mi Yeon's a victim of domestic abuse, and that her self-esteem with men has been utterly destroyed. Now she meets a truly nice man, who would be a wonderful father for her child, and in desperation, she wants to force a relationship on him. She's both acting out desperation and love for him. It's a beautifully, beautifully modulated performance -- when Mi Yeon is around Dong-jin, she's so enthusiastic that it makes you cringe. You feel awful for her.

You also feel awful for Eun-ho. How does does it make her feel to see her ex-husband play daddy to somebody else's child? Is he somehow punishing Eun-ho by almost having a relationship with her high school friend?
Alone in Love is kinda split into 2 story arcs. The 2nd arc, which you are about to start, is what enabled Son Yeh Jin to win the 2007 Baeksang for Best Lead Actress