Being a Korean, curious about your favorite k-dramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
islington

Being a Korean, curious about your favorite k-dramas

Post by islington » May 24th, '14, 03:16

As I dont watch that much korean drama...
What do you like in k-dramas? Do you watch cable dramas as well?
Do you have things that you dont understand and would like to ask a korean??

tseon

Post by tseon » Jun 23rd, '14, 01:33

So far, I haven't seen much korean dramas, but the ones I watched I really liked, like Nine time travels, Dr. Jin and lately I'm watching Triangle and Boys over Flowers.

I don't know which dramas are cable dramas.

chanpuru

Re: Being a Korean, curious about your favorite k-dramas:)

Post by chanpuru » Jun 24th, '14, 01:33

islington wrote:As I dont watch that much korean drama...
This year I've seen I Need Romance 3, You From the Stars, Miss Korea (all spill-overs from last year) and Emergency Couple, Cunning Single Lady, Angel Eyes and Big man. I'm currently watching You Are All Surrounded and just started Trot Lovers. I plan to watch Hotel King, Inspiring Generation, Golden Cross, Joseon Shooter and maybe Endless Love, depending on time and how interesting they prove to be in the early episodes.

I think Miss Korea was underrated and You From the Stars, while well done, was really carried by Jun Ji-hyun. I really liked Angel Eyes but thought Big Man wasn't very well written with one-dimensional characters and not much of a plot. Emergency Couple and Cunning Single Lady were both enjoyable all the way through, but Single Lady was maybe just a little more fun... just a little, especially toward the end.

I probably have a lot of questions... but are you living in Korea?

Yoon Ha Ni

Canada kdrama lover;)

Post by Yoon Ha Ni » Jul 6th, '14, 03:25

Hi. I'm currently obsessed with not just Kdramas but Korea as a whole. The people, music, culture, food etc. I am planning a trip to Korea soon. My all time absolute favourite dramas would be My Girl, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, City Hall, I hear your voice, Coffee Prince, Full House, Secret Garden, My love from the stars, and can money become love. I am slowly learning korean by listening to tapes and reading textbooks. I'm not really curious about anything because I do have korean friends and I know what is real and what is not. What are your favourite dramas? :cheers:

chanpuru

Post by chanpuru » Jul 8th, '14, 22:50

Hi Yoon Ha-ni. So you liked Samsoon? Jung Ryeo-won, who played the "other" woman, is also a great actress and you might like her as the lead in The King of Dramas and Which Star Are You From. Daniel Henney, who played her other boyfriend (in Samsoon) was really good in Spring Waltz as the second lead (and both dramas are both good stories and popular). Since you liked Secret Garden, another two stories with that magical nature are 49 Days and the Who Are You released in 2008 (which is about the only other major drama to feature Lee Eon, from Coffee Prince, though in a small role, in his short career).

Yoon Ha Ni

Post by Yoon Ha Ni » Jul 9th, '14, 20:04

@chanpuru I watched almost all of the dramas you've mentioned above. I really like Sam Soon because the storyline is so funnyand realistic . I also love Hyun Bin and Kim Sun-Ah as actors. Thank you so much for the suggestions:)

chanpuru

Post by chanpuru » Jul 9th, '14, 22:52

Yoon Ha-Ni, I also liked Kim Sun-Ah but have never seen her in any other dramas. I considered watching I Do, I Do, but as nobody I know recommended it very highly, I've never gotten around to it. Since you are a fan of Hyun Bin, you've probably already seen Worlds Within, too. As for the unique story-line of Samsoon, you might also like the Taiwanese version of Itazure na Kiss (It Started With a Kiss). Oddly, I haven't seed the Korean version, and just as oddly, most I know consider the Taiwanese version to be the best. But there's so little time and my list just gets longer and longer. Is there a solution?

RayAmbler7

Post by RayAmbler7 » Aug 16th, '14, 04:46

Hi! Watch our video 'What to Expect from a Korean Drama' ... Your favorite korean drama scenes and cliches in one video haha :)

YouTube.com/watch?v=FUHntKykhxs

chanpuru

Post by chanpuru » Aug 17th, '14, 07:49

RayAmbler7 wrote:
Hi! Watch our video 'What to Expect from a Korean Drama' ... Your favorite korean drama scenes and cliches in one video haha :)

YouTube.com/watch?v=FUHntKykhxs
Not bad at all! I especially liked the camera's POV cut on the colorful tennis shoes changing direction in the back-hug scene and the concluding music and color-tone flash at the end (you just need a few more fast advertisement blocks in the final bumper spin). I guess since you filmed this yourself, you couldn't do the high-speed U-turn across eight lanes cliché (or the "everyone tries to explain" in the police station - complete with sympathetic drunk).

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 19th, '14, 03:16

I can't get into Kdramas. It's just so negative...materialistic, love triangles/affairs, and constant bickering. It shows the state of people's mind. I'm currently watching "massan"..very lovely and positive show about husband and wife.

PinkyCut

Post by PinkyCut » Oct 19th, '14, 05:48

Korean Dramas are overly emo and hits you right in the feels too hard

diediebydie

Post by diediebydie » Oct 29th, '14, 14:43

As for the unique story-line of Samsoon, you might also like the Taiwanese version of Itazure na Kiss (It Started With a Kiss). Oddly, I haven't seed the Korean version, and just as oddly, most I know consider the Taiwanese version to be the best. But there's so little time and my list just gets longer and longer.

jaszmeene1980

Post by jaszmeene1980 » Oct 29th, '14, 15:16

i really really loved Secret Garden..Good Doctor was great too..Hwang Jin Yi (with Ha Ji Won) is one of my favs....All About Eve...Big was nice in the beginning but the ending was really disappointing...Kim Sam Soon is really good too...oh, A Gentleman's Dignity is nice too :)

bismara

Post by bismara » Nov 10th, '14, 13:11

Being Brazilian and having watched quite a few K-Dramas (and also J-Dramas), all I can say is it's interesting for a non-Korean to watch them since it's all so exotic, yet so familiar to us. They may speak different languages, behave overall differently (everyone is so shy and considerate generally in Asian dramas, think of their actions, if they will go along fine with their parents, and so on), but we can't avoid to think that emotions and feelings are universal and know no borders or difference of languages.

But yes, I'd say it's mainly because it's really foreign at least to me in Brazil. Even if I watch an American movie, it's really similar to my culture nowadays. The exotic and different draws me in. The first time I watched an Asian drama I was like, meh, not sure if it's gonna be good but I will give it a try, and since then, I got really hooked.

Also, the soundtracks are awesome, songs with violins and pianos mainly, they can break even the toughest heart ;)

Kamenekochan

Re: Being a Korean, curious about your favorite k-dramas

Post by Kamenekochan » Jan 30th, '15, 22:12

I don't know if you still are interested in this topic but here's my answer :

I've been watching JDramas, TwDramas and KDramas since... a few years ;p
I think they give us a little bit of unexpected, of something we can't get here, and it's cheerful, sad, emotions are put in a different way.
Now that I'm used to asian dramas, I get this comfortable feeling from the habit and the repeating schema (like the fixed expressions that you hear n times an episode and that you start to understand without knowing it, the cheerful characters, the plot, the colors used, etc.) in many (or all) of them.
When I was new to it, well it was really new, since the asian culture is really different to ours and that you have to understand a lot of different habits, languages etc. Even faces were hard to remember at first, it was just fun to see something different from the american shows. And older series like the japanese series Trick and KimuTaku's dramas got me hooked.
I like to watch japanese series for their plot, taiwanese ones for the relaxing effect it has on me, korean ones... I think I like them because I don't understand the korean culture quite enough yet, so I'm curious.

Plus, it's also a way of fleeing, an escape from my daily routine and problems.

I'm not too good with words but I hope I conveyed my way of thinking
Last edited by Kamenekochan on Jan 30th, '15, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.