Empress Ki (MBC 2013-2014)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Issy

Empress Ki (MBC 2013-2014)

Post by Issy » Jan 7th, '14, 01:24

Synopsis
A romance historic drama depicting the love and battle of a woman from Goryeo who becomes a powerful Empress of the Yuan Empire.

Cast

Main Cast
Ha Ji Won as Ki Seung Nyang, later Empress Ki
Hyun Seung Min as young Seung Nyang
Joo Jin Mo as Wang Yoo, later King Wang Yoo of Goryeo
Ahn Do Gyu as young Wang Yoo
Ji Chang Wook as Ta Hwan, later Emperor Huizong of Yuan
Extended Cast
Baek Jin Hee as Danashiri
Lee Jae Yong as Wang Go
Jin Yi Han as Tal Tal
Kim Jung Hyun as Dangkise
Jun g**k Hwan as Yeon Chul
Kim Young Ho as Baek Ahn
Kim Suh Hyung as Empress Dowager
Cha Do Jin as Tap Ja Hae
Jung Woong In as Yeon Byung Soo
Kim Myung g**k as Jang Soon Yong
Lee Won Jong as Dok Man
Choi Moo Sung as Park Bool Hwa
Cha Kwang Soo as Go Yong Bo
Lee Moon Shik as Bang Shin Woo
Yoon Ah Jung as Yeon Hwa
Kwon Oh Joong as Choi Moo Song
Yoon Yong Hyun as Jeom Bak Yi
Yoo In Young

as in wiki

They say better late than never, so here we are. after 19eps of Empress Ki drama we finally have a thread for this drama. looking forward for fun discussion on this thread.
Last edited by Issy on Jan 7th, '14, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 7th, '14, 01:43

Cheers for making this. :cheers:

We still have plenty of time to spend here. The drama isn't even halfway yet. ^^

I'm amazed how engaging this 50 episodes drama is compared some dramas that get dragging even with just 16 episodes! There hasn't been a moment of boredom while watching this and we're already at episode 19. I thought I could never watch 50 episode dramas. I hope this will stay interesting till the end.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 7th, '14, 01:54

:cheers: we can spazz as much as we want. and you are very right. I have not been bored in last 19 eps even a single time. I hope it stays as exciting and as interesting as its previous eps.

Mila

Post by Mila » Jan 7th, '14, 08:42

Hi =)

Yes, we still have a long way to go! Which, at this point, feels like a really good thing cause I wouldn't want to leave the characters now. I have been bored at some parts of the drama -mostly the main romance...although in ep 18 it totally freaked me out, I was shivering- but never an entire episode and I want to keep seing more!

(I don't think there are real spoilers in my two following paragraphs, I'll edit my message if you think otherwise but I don't think I've let anything important out)

Anyway, I'm only at episode 18 now because I don't watch the episodes raw -I think you do Issy, right?- but to discuss what happened in episodes 17 and 18, I am SO glad that TH is FINALLY doing something. He's doing it all wrong but he's decided to learn, grow, do stuff and that's a very welcome change. Now he just has to learn not to scream Nyang's name when he's suppposed to be on a secret mission and he can start to really become someone. Also he might want to learn how to be more thoughtful if he really actually wants to woo Nyang. I'm hoping he will =) Go go puppy!

The romance between Wang Yu and Nyang still doesn't sit well with me but on a more strategic point of view and scenaristic one, I don't think Wang Yu is making the most of Nyang at all. She's a very capable woman, she doesn't need protection and she could be very useful to him, considering her position. But instead of using that, he's treating her like a damsel in distress. I get it but I just feel it's not a good move for him and it's also frustrating because I want Nyang to do things -although now, thanks to TH, she is a bit- . That said Nyang is also not that clever cause the whole Buddha thing was stupid. I get what she was trying to do and I'm all for her being active but from WY POV, there's someone he doesn't know going along with their plans. Which means there's someone out there that seems to be in on the plan but he can't control that person, doesn't know what that person thinks and so it's not helping but probably worrying and distracting.

Anyway~ That's it =)

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 7th, '14, 16:25

Hello Mila, nice to see you here :salut:

I think I need to summaries my thoughts about last 18eps of EKi in few words so it's easier for other to follow our discussion.

Why am I TH shipper?
It's simply because he's character is the most developed character of this drama. I hate to say this but there is not much characters development in this drama. some how they all stayed the same since ep 1. even though for many viewersTH might look like a character who does not do much in the drama, but comparing with rest of characters, he has come a long way.
we saw him first so vulnerable and weak, scared for his life. look at him now. the progress is slow but it's definitely there. He is your normal human being. not a perfect one in every sense. you can relate to him in so many ways.
not to mention he's very cute and has a great chemistry with SN when they are together even when SN in angry mood. but of course, all these is due to great performance by Ji Chang Wook. his acting is so flawless and natural that you can't help but falling for him immediately. he's all charms and charisma.

I want to rant about this week's ep so badly but I'll wait till others catch up. and Yes, My Name is Issy and I watched EKi as soon it's out

:P

justintorque

Post by justintorque » Jan 7th, '14, 17:06

And once again, will start watching this drama due to Issy's feedback.. :) Im your secret stalker Issy XD .. Love Ha Ji Won but Ji Chang Wok is not so bad in Vegetable Bachelor, so am a start downloading EKi now.. :)

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 7th, '14, 17:18

justintorque wrote:And once again, will start watching this drama due to Issy's feedback.. :) Im your secret stalker Issy XD .. Love Ha Ji Won but Ji Chang Wok is not so bad in Vegetable Bachelor, so am a start downloading EKi now.. :)
oh dear! do I know you at all? :lol well, I am glad that my rants/fangirlings/feedbacks have been useful. Hope you can join us in this thread.
ps. if you dling Eki, you might as well di in HD. you won't regret it. :wub:

Mila

Post by Mila » Jan 7th, '14, 18:08

Issy wrote: ps. if you dling Eki, you might as well di in HD. you won't regret it. :wub:
I second that. First I watched it in 450p but then got to the 780p version and it is SO worth it. The drama looks gorgeous, I wouldn't want to waste the beauty of it by using LQ.

Anyway I agree with Issy on TH. He clearly is the one who's had to develop more. Because he was so flawed to begin with, whereas Wang Yu and Sungnyan were basically perfect to begin with. They're situations change, the context, but the characters don't really grow, at least not consistently... TH is not there yet, he still has a lot to improve on strategically and romantically -some things made me facepalm a bit in eps 17 and 18- but he seems willing to. Ji Chang Wook's acting is great too~

Also: am I the only one really enjoying Wang Yu's interaction with the empress? Somehow these two make me laugh when they're together.

JeliesS

Post by JeliesS » Jan 7th, '14, 18:43

Hi guys!! :D Empress Ki is not so slowly becoming my drama crack out of the ones I'm following. Despite its flaws or because of them, I don't know, but I love this show. :wub:

I'm up to 19, so spoiler alert (nothing major)
Right now, I'm watching for TH, but I gave up on TH x SN ship a long time ago. Especially with the way show is treating TH around 16~19, that ship going nowhere soon. I do like their scenes together. HJW seems to relax around JCW and their scenes don't seem so forced.
I hope that if TH must become evil, he will be the best little evil puppy dragon ever, because if we have to miss out on his becoming a proper king storyline, I couldn't stand it if he were a failure at antagonizing too. Sometimes I wish he and Tanasili could get along because I lovehate her, but she is getting the same impotent treatment as TH, which is just missed opportunities all around! If El Timor isn't dead soon, I will pull out my hair, because we need some new badies to step up take center stage.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 7th, '14, 19:19

ha, here it is place to talked about Empress Ki! I was wondering why is so quiet here lately. So another TH character supporter on your service. Not only I like actor (Five fingers, yes?) but I totaly agree that becouse of his capability he made this brat kind of character believable and likeable. I am usually not after such character (not capable enough) but I am very forgiving here and wish him the best. He is trying from very low position which has to be admired and he is changing. I wonder how he can go bad? Which is relative here I suppose depanding on which side we are. In politics kind of way I mean. As I can't find in myself to emphatise with WY much, not sure why, his generaly nobel persona is grating on my nerves I think.

So I have question from begining: how close to real history they are here?

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 7th, '14, 21:20

Hello Jilly 8)
Hello Shiofmedea 8) last time we were discussing Faith almost on our own as I recall.

Here is what I'm wondering about.
We have three versions of Empress Ki
1- The real historical events
When basically there was on SN and TH. She becomes the Yuan Empress after marring TH ans have a son with him but TH was the last emperor of Yuan and SN disappeared after his death
Read Here

There was no WY and no cross dressing SN.

2- The Novel Empress Ki
Where there is a fictional character WY exist as SN love interest and she has a son without him. Not sure about exact details of this novel so please share if anyone knows more

3- The drama version

I'm not saying I want it exactly based on historical events but I also don't want it to be the novel Empress Ki. I'm wondering to which direction writer nim wants to take us by this show.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 7th, '14, 23:26

Hey ladies, nice to see you here! ^^

About end speculations, I also don't want this novel/history fusion written by WY & SN shippers. I'd be very bitter if SN will have WY's child and lie to TH it's his... SN as character doesn't seem to be that interested about power, not for now at least. What I can believe is that SN & WY will probably have deeper relationship later on, before the crowning but her playing with TH just to get WY's child to be heir sounds too evil of her. Although, I don't know what the writers want because so far they've clearly rooted WY & SN more than TH & SN. I liked their last two dramas so I'm hoping they will keep Empress Ki as good as it's now. But we will have many episodes to ahead, which probably means things won't go that smoothly for either pair. I'm just hoping SN will open her heart even for a little for TH to make this love triangle more interesting.

Now I'm just waiting for subs for ep 19 & 20.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 8th, '14, 00:18

Hi Issy :D ! I saw you here and remembered Faith as well, such lovely times :wub:.

Oh so this is why I coud not find about this WY guy. I just thought sources are bad as usually for Korean history (not very popular part of Internet it seems).

Ok, so I can forgive crossdressing, as it is always fun and I have soft spot for it from other dramas (woman who crossdress go far in terms of social development :lol ). But in this case TH is in disadvenatge poor guy. If he is chinesse so enemy for Korean production and she disapeared I have prediction where and with whom.. and I do not like it! I so hope I am wrong here! The question is if they'll change history much - she was like 60 when she disapeared and WY is older then her..
Going on novel haunt.. :glare:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 9th, '14, 13:47

subs are late this time. I want to rant about this week eps but I don't want it to be in spoiler. so here is how I feel right now

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jpS1UnvQb1M" frameborder="0"></iframe>

but continuing with what Viande was saying, I am also confused! I can't imagine they chose a storyline that all knew and predicted from beginning this early in the drama. Even if they wanted to go down the same direction as the novel, they should have left it for much later in the drama. ep40 at least? Even if WY-SN is their main OTP, still lots of viewers are watching it for TH. giving them so much treats in early eps and crush their dreams like this by ep20, is not a wise decision at all. I knew from early eps that I will have heart break and sadness when I decided to be on TH side. but I didn't like they way they were trying to sell WY's character to us. as my friend Jilly said "Nothing WY did was earned"

I said it so many times on twitter. if you want us to like WY's character you should give us good character writing. They keep making him god like and perfect. Even Yuan palace maids were swooning and dying from drooling from left and right. I think I might have liked WY if I didn't feel they are trying to force me into liking him.

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 9th, '14, 15:48

Hi there,big fan of HJW here and of Korean historical dramas (Historical Jdramas i never liked them).

I will put my two cents here,WY never existed ofc and as the writer said "Joo Jin Mo was initially slated to play the historical King Chunghye of Goryeo, but controversy over fictional liberties being taken with the historical figure resulted in the decision to nix the initial hero for a fictional Goryeo king instead".
That was one thing i didn't like so much but on the other hand if they had followed history based on wiki(i don't know if we can take this source seriously)King Chunghye was a kidnapper,rapist and murderer.... sooo yeah.
On the other hand Empress Ki based always on wiki she looked a bit of a **** :P,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Gi.

Anyway it's not the first time that a historic drama is not following history per say QSD had mishil in it and was amazing, but MY gives me on my nerves for some reason,i hope TH finds his ahem soon and we see some changes on how SN perceives him.

PS> Issy from where is this gif with the guy kissing the little girl?

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 9th, '14, 16:25

Hi there,big fan of HJW here and of Korean historical dramas (Historical Jdramas i never liked them).

I will put my two cents here,WY never existed ofc and as the writer said "Joo Jin Mo was initially slated to play the historical King Chunghye of Goryeo, but controversy over fictional liberties being taken with the historical figure resulted in the decision to nix the initial hero for a fictional Goryeo king instead".
That was one thing i didn't like so much but on the other hand if they had followed history based on wiki(i don't know if we can take this source seriously)King Chunghye was a kidnapper,rapist and murderer.... sooo yeah.
On the other hand Empress Ki based always on wiki she looked a bit of a **** :P,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Gi.

Anyway it's not the first time that a historic drama is not following history per say QSD had mishil in it and was amazing, but MY gives me on my nerves for some reason,i hope TH finds his ahem soon and we see some changes on how SN perceives him.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 9th, '14, 16:30

@ahireasu :salut:
the sigi is from the daily drama Ugly Alert with Lim JuHwan :wub:

as for WY's character, I think we have to blame the writer. they just brought JJM and thought he would be enough to sell his character. I have seen JJM in Frozen Flower and he has way more emotions than WY. now WY shippers might hate me for saying this but I thought I would see way more chemistry between JJM & HJW in here. Sure, there was puppy eyes and tears whenever they looked at each other but you could see the "acting" behind them.
They wrote his character as "The Perfect king of Goreyo". he had no fault, no flaws...you knew how his story is going to happen.

maybe I should not expect this drama be good to TH as he's the Yuan emperor therefore the enemy of Great King and kingdom of Goreyo :glare:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 01:22

I second that "not earned" comment, at least we can't see it. Maybe this is me being not Korean? As I am not invested from political point of view I can focus on story not what country character is from. So I have tendency to focus on those "bad" one if they are written well. Which gives me my own little heartbreaks when they loose one way or another. I understand this way of building the story as I am from the country with simmilar history as Korea in terms of strong and dominated neighbours. But if they want me to not like T they should not put (sorry to say, at least here it's true) better actor to play him. And give him so many opportunities to grab our hearts.
I guess reason that I can't be attached to WY is that they skipped this time his development from small boy send to Yuan to annoying (for me) prince 5 minutes to becoming king. And even then he was noble guy trying (in not so clever way but only possible then) to help his people. Issy remember our discussions about Faith? It seems that I am destinated to not like those kings LOL. But TH is changing. What's more there are glimpses of who he is deep down, who he can be from begining. In some way he has better character as person than WY (well, maybe becouse he was rised on winner side). He is honest (even if not very wise) in his reactions and interactions and good natured. WY temper and moodines (and taking frustration on TH - in earlier episodes) are very "suffering hero" standard that are not my favorite even in the best performance package.
And when I am on acting - N is not my favorite too. In this she IS perfect match for WY.

I just thought when TH win me over for good (I liked him from begining for not being stupid but realistic in his fears - so different from what we usually see at that point in action with simmilar characters): on the beach when he made 2 generals let him free. The start was very good and not full of pathos usually delivered on such scenes (even when he put this Khan part). He was just desparate man who wanted to belive himself. I would let him free as well, not becouse I would belive in him but to see if he could.
Last edited by shiofmedea on Jan 11th, '14, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 11th, '14, 01:43

Now that I've seen ep 20, I have only one thought:
I'm so ANGRY!!!

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 01:51

Viande

LOL
but still :cussing: with you,.. and I feel we will do it more and more

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 01:55

btw to which episode in the past it is still spoiler, hmm? or everybody interested already is up to date? this spoiler thing is such a pain!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 11th, '14, 02:32

I think as soon as subs are out after a day should be fine.

I just finished ep 20 with subs and I have to say I am pretty much disappointed and angry. Not because of what happened between WY-SN ( I knew this would happen from first ep because like it or not they are the intended OTP of this drama) but because it happened this soon and it was a confirmation of their future plot.

I had high hopes for this drama because everyone said the writers are excellent. I just don't understand why such writers decided to go through such a convenient route where everyone knows how the story will develop after ep20.

at the same time,This makes me hope slightly that it might be different than what everyone thinks. It won't be something major regarding WY, SN and TH characters because we have already established through out 20 previous eps that writers are biased toward WY. They won't make TH a better man than WY. All I'm asking that there won't be any child plot.
because it's the most ridiculous thing that can happen with Empress Ki the drama.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 02:40

I just wonder at what episode we will be back at the start.
I watch those kind of dramas for this politic plot mostly less for romance so child plot - no, just no! Melodrama please be banned, there is too much of it already

muchadoboutlove

Post by muchadoboutlove » Jan 11th, '14, 09:39

Hi everyone :) Found this thread few days ago and had to register just to join all of you ;)

I'm still hoping they won't have the child plot. If SN would get pregnant, then I hope that child won't be mistaken as TH's. No, just no. It's too cruel for TH :(

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 11th, '14, 11:31

Welcome muchadoboutlove. :-)

Ok now that I'm a bit calmer, back to discussion.

I had to check the coronation scene again but as I thought it didn't give any hints. They didn't show her tummy so she can or can not be pregnant. One thing must be sure though, if she is pregnant, this coronation must happen in a few months. As for the love triangle, we already know she's not angry at TH in the coronation but she still has deep feelings for WY. What is bothering me it that so far they haven't shown much hopes for SN loving TH (no I don't think the flashbacks were about that) so I have begin to think SN's feelings in the coronation were a hoax and that she was forced to marry TH.

Of course there is this chance that she will fall in love TH in later episodes because it seems too obvious that she'd only love WY. But I'm definitely not counting on it. It has been proven to be deceiving hope in many dramas. I just hope TH will be powerful emperor. Good or evil, it doesn't matter.

I wish kdramas would stop using love triangles if they don't use it well. They invest way too much in hopeless love of second lead while they could just use the time to convince us why we should root for the main pair.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 11th, '14, 12:53

Oh god! I had to check 1st ep too. Even though it was obvious that she still cares for WY but at the same time she looked genuinely happy about her marriage to TH too. If anyone looked slightly unhappy, it was TH himself who was worried if SN doesn't love him still. We have seen SN enough to know that when she's not happy about something, it clearly shows on her face.

In any case, I don't see what's wrong with SN having feelings for both guys. For whatever reason those flaskbacks were, they still indicate some feelings no matter how little is there. People change (unlike what kdrama writers think) in real life. You still can build solid love from zero love.

@Shiofmedea
I almost your edit so it's best to write your thought in a new post if there are some posts after that.
You just reminded me of another scene/reason on why I like TH this much. Yes, when he made Bayan & TalTal be on his side and not kill him was very emotional for me. He always have something in his sleeves that surprise you. when you think he's hopelessly weak or stupid, he acts something totally apposite makes you believe he's one clever boy. he's still young and not matured as much as some king of goreyo but you can defintely see the changes in him and I love it.
It has been a while since I was invested in character this much. :wub:

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 11th, '14, 13:51

I must clarify that my comments were just cynical thinking from the usual kdrama perspective. (Read: my cynical thinking thanks to many disappointments in dramas.) I was hoping this to be real love triangle considering how this started but now I think it's a little late in terms of how they made the story so far. I'm just wondering what they're going to do next 30 episodes to keep it interesting if TH & SN love is out of picture? They better not make it another Reply 1994 and convince we have hope when we don't. One option is of course that the drama doesn't end to coronation but continues after that.

I hope Dangkise will continue to interfere WY's plans. The more evil and cunning he get gets, the more I like him. :mrgreen: Same applies to our Puppy!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 11th, '14, 14:06

@Viande
i was wondering what you mean hon :lol

as for Dangkise, I LOVE this guy! with all his evilness, he's still is pretty realistic character. I really hope that he interfere with WY's plan because right now WY is the master mind behind all plotting and the only wise guy who knows how politics work. should I even be surprised.

I am sure in one point, they are going to make TH claim his thrown and be strong emperor on his own with help of ...wait for it...WY!
those remaining 30 eps really bothering me indeed, specially after ep20.

ps, same here. I do love evil puppy. I even can justify his evil deeds. :P It's way better than sulking, crying, feeling sorry for yourself. I loved it so much when he told SN, not everything is about you. I know it's not 100% true but I liked the fact that he has become strong enough to stand in SN's face. he never used to do this. so yeah, give me more evil puppy. I like him in his angsty vampy look too

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 19:12

As I see it romance was out of question (ok, happy ending was) around ep6. TH had really bad timing there and lost whatever chance (not big anyway, according to "drama rules" ) he had. This happy smile in prolog for me was just winner smile. I suppose wedding is some way to spare Guryo and WY, which mean TH is already "evil" there, or part of her "clever" plan, one of those we see lately.
TH can plot as much as he wants, I was, I am and I will be on his side. :wub: He had to go through so much already to keep himself alive, that I really want to see him strong and independent king. I am only afraid that plot can go more to present him second to N, ruler from name only. Title is Empress Ki, so.. :-(
Last edited by shiofmedea on Jan 11th, '14, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 19:29

ah, and Issy, I do not think WY will be puppet master or rather not directly. Yes, they have common enemy now but will it be not too much? WY indirectly as via N not even as interface, more like N selling favours to TH to make him take decisions positive for WY without his knowledge, more like this. And it fits with begining. She has still 30 episodes to learn be less forwarding, besides she played friendly to people she hated from begining if it was necessery. More even, she lived as child in the house of man she hated and took as most trusted person till she betrayed him. Yes, there were reasons and he is bad character here but that made me be carefull about her. She is kind of snake figure here . Additionaly her reason was he had meeting with man who killed her mother but on the other hand man who took her in, saved her life. Kind of double standard from begining. :glare: :glare:
I am more suprised WY did not interfered but he is noble king so obligations first
Last edited by shiofmedea on Jan 11th, '14, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 19:53

oh and one more pararel, on actor side this time. In Five Fingers I was on JCW side as well, knew he will loose so I waited till end to watch all drama to be sure I will be able to take it. Yes, knowing end take a bit off from suspence part but being stuborn inwestor in second lead characters, there is only so many guys/girls I can watch to be undeservely (in my biased opinion) stepped on. If you did not start this discussion I was tempted to do the same here.
LOL I do not care if he has N, it's at this point more like "if he really wants, yeh, ok, keep her, whatever" but making him to rule from under N foot, I protest! :glare: :x :cussing: :cry:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 11th, '14, 20:18

For Dongkise (ah, this guy is made to be evil, actor I mean) I kind of understand him. His explanation of his reasons is good one, ok maybe not good but realistic. Those at the top are making political games but people at the bottom are the one who are paying at the end. And from their point of view does it matter so much who is the ruler? Yuan made it.. or? Well more like, some bad decisions from past rulers made it. Khan was not even Yuan orginally, they made themseves Yuan. So Mongols did it.. or? Some King mad decision that he likes his throne more then some girls send as tribute,.. or he really wanted to keep independence? Maybe, but my point is whatever intentions are elites are paying not in their own lives (with some exceptions then more then now) but those who depend on them. The only way to survive for those common people can be to choose winning side. I do not judge, I was never hungry on the street (N, I am watching you here :glare: )
For me I like those two Yuan soldiers or really one TalTal. He is kind of calmming force, clever and composed. In reality he went against Buyong I think but so far he is loyal one as well.
I just read a bit and this child thing start to bother me more and more. Son went against TH so should we assume it was N doing in every possible meaning? Starting from who his father was? Will they go so far? I kind of not want to watch it.. :unsure:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 12th, '14, 10:04

Kdrama way of telling you or forcing the OTP (apart from two leads names) on you is that they must meet in their childhood. If they did for even a split second, you should know that they are fatted/destined together and are true soul mates. Now considering that TH must be 5 yrs younger and was somewhere in Yuan place still a young kid, there's no chance of him meet SN in their childhood. Talking about closing every available kdrama way in your face. :glare:

Thanks to ep20, now I will be monitoring SN's health very closely hoping she won't feel sick suddenly in one scene. For me, this drama is called Emperor TaHwan. That's how much I'm interested is WY-SN storyline.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 12th, '14, 23:55

And if there was no childhood scenes, you can guess if there is hint of man seeing his (from this moment OTP) woman naked or partialy naked or some not usually seen part of body depending of time of action. Kind of making it obvious for us.. Not to insult anybody but I always wondered why? It feels a bit like those US comedies where there is laugh sound included just to be sure that you know this was joke, just here, if you are to stupid to recognize it. Or maybe there is another reason but it is what I feel.
Why he is younger? Apart for looking this way? The looks is strange part here anyway as two brothers look exactly the same age as WY-SN and should be like 10 years or more older to consider that one killed SN mother.
I think it is too early in the story for SN to have child. Regent is still alive so we need around 10 episodes for her to be Empress. And what will be interesting to watch after TH will take over? 50 episodes all, so what? 20 episodes of her ploting against TH with WY? If so I go on strike :alcoholic: and need to find myself another drama to watch.
And for my interest in SN-WY? I already skip more overall sweet moments/past memories of sweet moments between them (joy of web over watching TV).
btw did you not find anyoing that everybody here everytime they do something unhonorable or evil they blame others to "make them" do it/be this way? So far I think from main cast TH and Regent are only one I did not remember doing it. And TH has every reason to blame others. Writers kind of missed points somewhere if they wnted us to support WY unconitionally by forcing him up our throats with OTP and noble (not always and blaming others if not) actions. Issy, do you remember I was against CY at the begining but I change my mind? Not going to happen with WY! 8) :glare:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 13th, '14, 23:56

what you think about blood vows being inside the mirror of lady.. N- something? I mean old favorite of previous Khan?
uh, did they have mirrors then?

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 14th, '14, 09:21

ok, so after this scene in ep21, I don't know what's happening is this drama. This is definitely NOT a second lead scene!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/ ... "></iframe>

so many things happened in ep 21 but the highlight was above scene for sure. Somehow I really don't care what happens between WY and SN anymore. well, to some extanet. :P
I'm sure this scene will go down the history of most beautiful scenes of kdramas and you don't get such scenes with 2nd leads.
It's so clear and obvious that they're making TH-SN scenes more emotional, beautiful and shexi and I really have no idea why if their intended OTP is WY. why they don't write such scene for him and SN. Even their first night together was bland.
sometimes I do hate such beautiful scenes between TH and SN because they give me hope and make me dare to picture an ending that I know it's far far away from writers/pd imaginations. It's very clear that they are biased to WY.
I'm sure they'll manage to reverse my happy mood after this scene very soon in next ep.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '14, 12:27

shiofmedea wrote:And if there was no childhood scenes, you can guess if there is hint of man seeing his (from this moment OTP) woman naked or partialy naked or some not usually seen part of body depending of time of action. Kind of making it obvious for us.. Not to insult anybody but I always wondered why? It feels a bit like those US comedies where there is laugh sound included just to be sure that you know this was joke, just here, if you are
Actually, didn't TH see SN while she was washing up in the episode they met for the first time? (in the camp) She wasn't naked but with less clothes. Maybe they ARE the endgame OTP. (dellusional me)

@Issy
I was so sure they'd be the 2nd pair but since yesterday I'm not sure anymore. TH & SN have had so many beautiful & romantic scenes (beach, cave and this CPR) compared to WY & SN that this can't be random anymore. It would be weird to use this much time and effort on their relationship and leave WY & SN without any scenes that would even compare to these. I honestly can't remember any of their scenes that were something else than SN looking at WY with admiration or tears in her eyes.

They better not trick us... :cussing: My heart can't take.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '14, 18:15

Ok...... today's ep, I have to rant about it. MAJOR spoilers:
What the... Seriously, what is this sorcery?! Suddenly pregnant women everywhere! And not to stop here, Tanasili miscarried (wasn't it so?), Lady Park was killed and SN is now giving birth in a cave.

Seriously these magic seeds... -.- Her pregnancy was so fast that someone else must've made her pregnant much earlier. What was she talking about her revenge and what did the crazy lady say? I didn't quite understand. Dangkise can't be the father? And I'm pretty sure SN would've killed TH if he tried to touch her that much.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 14th, '14, 18:40

The same way yesterday's last scene should go down the history of most beautiful scene in kdramas, Today's ep should go down the history of Craziest, most illogical, worst ep of Empress Ki / Kdramas !
My brain is still unable to register what just saw. NOTHING made sense! NOTHING!
didn't know Tanashiri miscarried because I did some ffing of her scenes!
BUT, seriously, are they laughing at us and our intelligence? what is this crazy plot with SN pregnancy? Lady Park was heavily pregnant before SN slept with WY. How could SN looks this pregnant and LP has not given birth yet? In the room SN looked as she was 7-8 months, when she was running, no pregnant tummy, in the cave, she is about to give birth?
I'm wondering none of actors found it crazy with no sense at all?

I am so angry with this ep. how can they give us such crap and expect us to buy it? Fictional or reality there are certain things that stays the same. If I am allowed to ask one single question from Pds, it would be "How would you explain SN's pregnancy?" I'll eat my hat if he/she was able to give me a logical/satisfactory answer!!!
:cussing: :cussing:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 14th, '14, 20:32

I just went shamelessly went through spoilers as my job is killing me and I had no oportunity to watch anything this week.
And to think I just posted that we will wait for child 10 more episodes? I just do not understand it, I read some spoilers from I guess novel, that there will be child comming back later to mess with Empress Ki position. I guess here it is. So the child will be taken away (why? by whom? not by WY as it do not match with prolog part). She is one smart woman with time travel abilities it seems but I will be back after watching by myself

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 14th, '14, 23:19

So there is one explanation to this (still I am not sure about what they said so maybe I am wrong):
Why assume that TH Lady Park stopped with first child? If Regent lives, TH needed to bend and start sleeping with his wife sometime before so why not with Lady Park later too? One child I assume is already somewhere (or not, could not live past birth) and Empress pregnant so they could allow TH some fun. SN is out of picture anyway for now. So we had two big fastforward 9 months all together. What I don't understand is coordination between Lady Park and SN but maybe they explained it? or at least tried but still too many stupid complications. I assume that that child of SN will give us some huge troubles later and melodrama to N level to be worth of this holes with plot.
For D being father the math is against it as she would have this sickenss thing earlier, wouldn't she?
Poor TH btw. At this moment I would just give up on her. She is more trouble then asset anyway and potential traitor,.. what am I saying no"potential" here but 100% sure. How can you take allay and wife you can't trust from begining? Of course do not trus is basic policy but normaly there is small procentage of chance of miracle but here? Big, fat 0!
And
coordination is something they really need to start working at. SN just ruined all plans for them. :glare: TH was so close :-( Bright point for future that old D is out as well, or rather will be easier to tame when TH will be ready to take over. If they succeeded she would have all power.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 14th, '14, 23:59

I need to wait for subs because I didn't get most of their dialogs but
I don't think this is LP's second child because why else would Tanasili be so angry only now that she'd kill her & the child? Besides it would not make sense to jump so much in the story without telling what was going on there. But yeah, I haven't seen it with subs yet so I might have missed something in the discussions.

Even if there was huge time jump, it was damn badly done and does not make sense.

MitsukaiKuroi2

Post by MitsukaiKuroi2 » Jan 16th, '14, 11:30

I haven't posted anything on the forum in a LONG time but after watching episode 22 I HAD to come here to see what others were saying about it!!!

I am also a TH/SN supporter even if I knew that the were not being pushed as the OTP... I prefer them together and I love their chemistry! Whenever the characters confront each other you see so much growth especially in TH!

But by episode 20 I WAS ALSO FLIPPING TABLES!!! I feel absolutely NO chemistry between SN/WY and I just can not get into them...... Something is missing IMO...

But episode 22 took the cake!!! So many errors and mistakes! First big mistake is
there is NO WAY that she SN is 7-8 months pregnant and Pak is only 9 months pregnant!!! Something is wrong with that timing! And this is definitely the first child from Pak because Tanishiri was threatened by her having a baby... If Pak had already had one she would have mentioned it and probably have had that one killed too!

Also during that scene when SN is crying over Crazy Lady dying BOTH her and the other girl could have been killed with all of the time that they were taking for that 'emotional" scene... Bad guys were running past them I guess going... "Let's wait to kill them... They are mourning their friend... (<_<)
Also I will have to go back and review but
something is wrong with the timing of Tanshiri believing she was pregnant as well... Are we to believe that TH has been sleeping with her for some time and we did not know it? I thought he avoided going to her chamber and was not intimate with her? We were told that she could not get pregnant by Dowager but still!!! What would make T think she could be pregnant if TH is not visiting her chamber??? Did I miss something???"
And I was also so pissed that they
did the WY baby route! I wanted to scream! I was hoping the entire episode that SN would be found, be tortured, miscarry and that would fuel her anger to get revenge and determination to marry the Emperor to make everyone pay... BUT NO!!! She is the strong woman in a cave giving birth alone! I will be pissed if they have TH lie and say that the baby is his JUST so he can marry her and "take" her from WY!!!
I also can not stand what they have done with the SN character as a whole... She was so tough and strong that people mistook her for a man for years and now she is the "damsel in distress" wanting to be back with her love....... I hate when they destroy strong characters!!! When she is with TH it brings out her strong nature... THAT is the character that I loved! Not feeling the "WY's woman" version of SN.

After the "bathtub scene" I was so happy and excited... Whenever TH and SN are on screen they spark... I know that you never get your hopes up in KDramas once they have established the OTP, but in a twisted way I was hoping that SN would start falling for TH. I can actually zoom pass the "romantic" scenes with her and WY because they ruin the enjoyment of the show for me...... This drama started out so magical, and really made my heart race, but now I am hoping that they don't take a direction that makes me hate it and desire to tune out........ :glare:

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 16th, '14, 16:19

@MitsukaiKuroi2
I agree with everything you said. I really can't stand seeing SN's face anymore, she changed to totally different person. And no, I don't buy it that this condition can change her personality this much.

More about ep 21-22:
There was indeed a time jump. According to Eunuch Dok Man, SN was 3-4 months pregnant and when they left from palace, she was 7-8 months pregnant. It still doesn't explain why Lady Park's tummy was already so big when SN & WY were only making that cuckoo's child. In my opinion, she should've been due months earlier.

Also, I got it wrong that TS got miscarriage. The talk turned out to be about faking one because she wasn't pregnant after all. The fact that TH didn't find it odd must be that he has indeed been spending some time in her quarters as ET ordered. I wasn't that much surprised about this though.
Even with subs, these two episodes felt way too rushed.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 16th, '14, 18:05

WHAAAAT??? :crazy:
was uri dragon TH naughty and actually spent a night with Tanashili? How is this even possible? he was clear enough that he hates her so much because of her father. how they made it look as he slept with her already?
Writers are really playing with our emotions. You can clearly see that they are WY bias (of course, he's a Goreyo king in popularity contest with a Yuan emperor). I was so disappinted when I saw such change in SN's character in ep22. Ppl moan and complain that SN is only a maid when she is with TH but when she's with WY she is herself. why is that I see it totally apposite. Since when she was so feminine, emotional and shy? TH made sure to use her full ability in his plan while WY only wanted to keep herself and protected knowing really well white kind of a person SN was. in ep22, SN looked as she had a total personality makeover. she was not that SN we know.

I still have not seen last two eps with subs, but to be honest, even if they change the story /characters to how it was, I won't love Empress Ki they way I used to before these eps. It's like a broken pretty vase that even if you fix it, the cracks will still be visible.

The only way I can overlook this mess in ep22 is
that SN loose the child. If they go according to the novel and make him alive and later on be passed on asTH son (with/out his knowledge), that would be the end of my love for this drama. I still be watching but It will only for TH sake and to see how much more they going to make him suffer?
if I knew this Empress Ki is the novel version, I would have prepared myself for such plot from earlier. I would have cared less for characters. they writers must be on something these days. the drama has lost it's all sense of logic. :cussing:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 17th, '14, 16:12

subtitles out and I had time to watch:
WTF? I can only agree, somebody made one hell of math here and time is strangly behaving. For some people is going faster then for others. And SN have relly specyfic body. This 3 month of pregancy do not fit in action at all. especialy with 5 months of Lady Park. They wanted her have a child with WY they should at least make it logical. Btw was it normal in those Times that everybody was so happy about it? Or she is seen as low born so that is why it is no problem here? As I understand king/emperor could have who he wanted? Everybody who knows is friend but still, I thought society will not be so forgiving (I would say modern but I guess today society may be even worse, depending on country).
In novel they made child not only appear later but to pose as TH child? Uh, I don't know if I want to see it, that's just low! How he could not know, he is not stupid he can count. And does that mean that they made their marriage fake one? Had she more then one child? Becouse I read about one. If so she has no shame and sorry to say but nationalism should have some boundries too. Or they shouldn't write TH as such nice, likeable person. I wonder if it is just actor choice or book was written this way too? Did the child know who real father was? And went against TH? I guess yes :glare: It will be tough watching it. :cussing:
Uh, I think I stopped being rational and objective :unsure:
At this point I start to feel for current Empress, who if we forget her being Regent doughter is not so bad. At least she is strightforward and rational in her actions. Was she a bit less full of herself she would be nice match for TH if he was a bit more clever and win her over from begining. Not sure he would be able to make her switch to his side over family but if she was sure to keep her position and share power why not? Especialy if she could win over D as well. At least she would not interfere so much. Anyway TH made mistake here for sake of plot being more interesting LOL

MitsukaiKuroi2

Post by MitsukaiKuroi2 » Jan 17th, '14, 19:30

So wonderful to come here and see others that feel the way I do! :wub:

But one of the things that disturbs me is WHY even call the show Empress Ki??? Even if it is based more on the novel... It should have been a straight work of fiction... And I understand that you do not take history seriously from any KDrama but this one takes the cake!

What I wonder is what happened to the 'solid' writing that was so prevalent until episode 20-22??? What made them change? Was it stress for time or trying to stretch it out more? Ep. 22 just left me really confused as to what direction they are trying to go... :scratch:

I really think that the focus should have remained more on SN-TH... I never understand how writers can not see when something great is sparking on screen...

As for the end of Ep 22
I think it will completely ruin the character of SN if they have her try to pass off the baby as TH's child. And even worse if he accepts it to "protect" SN. HOWEVER it would explain why she would feel compelled to marry him even if she does not love him... To protect her son... (you already KNOW she is going to have a son... :glare: ) But that will just make me feel so much more for TH and make me dislike SN...
I guess that is what these shows are for... To yank at your emotions! :lol

Oh and @shiofmedea... You are right that
an out of wedlock baby by a King (even a dethroned one) would probably not have been as celebrated... She would have been seen as a 'loose woman'. It is true that Kings and Emperors could have any woman they wanted even if they raped them BUT it was still not a good thing... That is why they had palace maidens and concubines... That way they were all designated as the King's women... Women outside of that "inner circle" were looked down upon and some even killed if they got pregnant by royalty. So I doubt that everyone would have been smiling and wishing her well on her pregnancy... For some reason I can not imagine that......
And the "real" King that WY is based on was NOT a nice person... He was known to rape women, kidnap them and kill them when he was done with them... Big difference from the WY character! The "real" TH was supposed to be an airhead AND loved to do nothing but have sex and orgies... He was considered rather insane... So far they have only shown us the airhead part of the character! That is what I have learned from reading one too many history books! :lol

It will be interesting to see where they go with this storyline but I hope the writing goes back to being more consistent and logical! :|

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 17th, '14, 22:07

I am afraid in my current situation Internet is only source of info and to compare to real Korean history is always issue when I watch such dramas.
Well, all this romantic supposly story aside, she is loose woman here when it comes to WY and he kind of showed his true self for me when he took SN. He was suppose to be noble one? well, as I said before his pose was playing on my nerves, even if I understand that he only cares for his own people. Dirty tricks that make innocent people suffer are still dirty. Other side at least not pretend to be high and mighty :glare:
uh I guess I still need some steem to come out.
I will cont. for TH, TalTal and Y-what-his-name, actual captain of guards. This guy is like cockroach, always survives I kind of support him too, he makes this whole darma interesting via his persistence and stuborness in his hatred

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 18th, '14, 10:45

There are many speculations going on how the story would go.
One interesting being that Tanasili will get hold of SN's baby and will fake it's hers. I'm actually open to this choice because I know TH won't be too fond of her child and I'm hoping that SN will end up killing her own son if they want to go for REAL makjang. Not like it's going to happen though. :glare: I'm pretty sure they will make both survive somehow and then there will be happy reunion at the end of this drama.

I haven't seen the preview but I heard we have TH holding a baby in next episode... Just thinking about it being SN's is making me so annoyed. Why this stupid love-child plot of all those other makjang options??
It's funny how the writers made me root for the bad people and wish bad things for SN & WY. I'm not sure if this has ever happened to me in dramas.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 18th, '14, 17:36

first of all, why this page is not ending and goes to next one??? :scratch:

Won't write in spoiler tags because subs have been released for days now ^^

Yeah, I read about those spoilers. Not sure how TN going to explain delivering at least 6 months old baby to all but since they allowed SN child to be born normal (most likely this would be the case in ep23) after all what happened to SN, TN won't have problem pasing that baby as her new born. Everything happens in this drama after ep22. expect some vampires, zombies, aliens or robots in future eps and don't be shocked at all. :glare:

This drama has lost its magic for me. SN-WY story became unbearable and I even can't stand SN now. HJW's bad acting in ep22 took away the little love I had for SN and now don't really care what happens to that "lovely" couple.

as I noticed with other dramas, they always change the storyline if any spoiler was leaked as I read about IHYV. I'm surprised that with all those speculations, predictions and spoilers that is going around about future eps, PDs, writers... are doing exactly as prediction and changing nothing. Are they so confident of their drama to do well even if they follow the novel line by line? Is that how you keep your viewers interested. I have read spoilers from novel till the end of drama.

[/spoiler]

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 18th, '14, 18:27

so here is preview http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/empress/vod/ and from what I understand
Everybody assume that SN is dead (with WY going for revange and TH just blaming himself) Empress T found some baby to pose as hers (but I do not think there is any indication where). I have no idea what Regent said which may be the most interesting.
and as Issy pointed we can skeep spilers: Viande I love your plot :wub: . So melodramatic and Greek tragedy like! Yes, please I would like to see it. And when she will know she will cut her hair and go to this monastery (or kill herself on some cliff, cliffs are kind of popular lately).

Btw if this child is in the play I start to wander if coronation will be in 10 episodes. they have a lot work to do, put down Regent (he is seek so maybe he died on his own?) and his family, TH to marry B nice (or they will skeep it?) and resolve D plot (will she be back, I wish, she would be good oponent later when Regent disapear) And TalTal needs to plot against B... uh seems that Guryo politic is not part of my interest at all :whistling:

This changing plot thing they do something like that? How they know it is leak and not lucky guess? If you go through fansides there is almost as many theories for popular dramas as there is numer of fans :lol > but I can belive that they do statistic what is popular or not and adjust plot as much as possible to have better ranking. Why not? if story has 50 episodes and they do not care about real history or they do not have agreement to follow novel plot this is resonable. Of course consistency could be difficult to keep but viewers saw already almost anything :P

it's off topic but Issy please enlight me what was orginal story in IHYW then?

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 18th, '14, 18:30

hi, hi I made 2nd page! :party: We just need to stop using spoilers, thats all :lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 18th, '14, 20:35

Wow! We got to second page finally! :cheers: I don't think it's the spoilers tag but the amount of post one page. It seems that DA thread pages can have 50 posts and then it goes to next one. I was told it was 14 posts before.

Regarding IHYV, some spoilers leaked about the OTP and plot but I can't remember the exact details now sorry. But it was something big at that time .

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 18th, '14, 23:00

Woohoo, second page! :lol

If they're wise they would drop this silly love-child plot that no-one likes. But since they wanted to jump so fast to SN having her child in just one episode, I don't think they will. It sounds like they have a lot planned for this child.... :crazy:

I find it crazy that some EKI fans didn't find this turn ridiculous, some were even praising ep 22 being most interesting episode so far. :blink Well it was interesting in terms of how to make drama go downhill but as for good drama episode, no way.

As for IHYV, I can't remember that leak either. I think it had something to do with Soo Ha going missing and after that. I think Secret Garden also had ending leaked and they changed it but can't remember how.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 19th, '14, 11:09

Ok, so I did watch ep22 with subs last night And I'm still confused.

So we are told that when TH saved SN, she was 3-4 months pregnant. In ep 21, when Empress Dowager was dethroned and Lady Parking to give morning greetings to Tanashili instead, they said she has less than 4 month to give birth. Back to ep22 when SN had to wait 4 months for LP's due date so she can escape with her help. That makes SN atleast 7 months pregnant. Ok! That's fine. Babies can be born premature at that time but they they have to be kept inside incubators at least for two months (more or less). Also not when the mother has been through trauma, runnig breathless, bleeding heavily and rolling down the hill and falling on her belly. Now, to be born healthy in cave with no medical assistance is a miracle indeed and of course, why it shouldn't happen when it's to do with Great King of Goreyo WY?

If I to believe SN's pregnancy case, then LP's pregnancy will look illogical. LP was pregnant as long as we saw her. With all above calculations LP is 10-11 months and still not giving birth.
I also found out why TN thought she was pregnant. Uri cute emperor was ordered by ET himself to attend to her highness and produce an heir. That scene after ET left and TH panicked and asked for SN because he could not breathe was so sad to watch. :cry:

Now more or less I know how is story is happening and it's the worst case scenario that I could have imagined. That damn love child plot is happening for sure. :crazy:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 20th, '14, 02:44

Interesting where? Except with ending plot with Regent and confirming for me location of Blood Vow? I do not consider child plot interesting (well, it is word I often use if I want to be polite and can't be honest about my opinion). And part with WY investigation was just boring and designed only to keep him out of Yuan I think. And clear message that he can't be trusted (see part with marchants's deal).
Anyway next week already and 4 days of frustration or more depending of speed of subtitles release. And this one is usually last one eh..

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 20th, '14, 18:23

so here I am after ep23 trying to rethink my whole obsession with this drama. It's an undeniable fact that Empress Ki has lost its magic for me. I no longer love it or see it as a potential good sageuk. It has nothing and everything to do with my ship too. Damages inflicted by ep 22& 23 are too big for me to ignore. I can not so easily forget those WTH moments of this drama. The plot that I thought of it as most stupid and ridiculous plot actually came through. Maybe it was their intention from ep1 to do so but I still feel cheated and tricked! This drama tricked me into feeling of watching one great drama. rating was always high and for once I agreed with rating and I thought it's well deserved. I declare right now that I no longer think Empress Ki's high rating reflects its qualities.

For one moment of time, I thought of dropping this drama due to storyline in ep23. But I knew that I am not that strong enough and TH moments are so perfect and precious to me that I can not ignore. TH made me fall in love with this drama and for his I'm going to stay.

whatever EKi is going to offer me in next eps, no matter how they great (If they'll be at all) would be still connected in every way to that stupid love-child plot. the plot I loathed with my all and with passion. can't think of any scenario or plot that will make me feel different. so here Writer-nims,Try to surprise if you can. As much as I like to be hopeful, your writings (in Empress Ki at;east) does not have that element of surprise in them!

:glare:

JeliesS

Post by JeliesS » Jan 21st, '14, 01:54

I knew I had crossed over into the dark side in episode 23, when
SN was at the cliff with Yeom Byung-soo and my face was exactly the same as his.
I guess now
that the baby is with Tanasili,
badass SN will be making a comeback, but I'm completely done with her and her convenient inconsistency. She could have avoided this whole situation if she had acted like the seasoned fighter that she is during the raid, but being 2-4 months pregnant rendered her completely useless even in the very difficult task of not falling down over nothing.
But the next moment, she could have a baby in a cave complete with mood lighting (seriously, where did those candles come from? Or is the real question "why didn't she just hide the baby in the same place where she hid those candles and crazy mama-nim's cupboard door mirror?"), :scratch:
pop back up, run and fight like normal.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 21st, '14, 16:58

still before subtitles but:
Some people here are incredibly difficult to kill (all main cast especially from proper side of border, newborn included), miracles are in work I suppose. Anyway I suppose SN (who did not die, surprise, surprise! Yeom, you really should work on your aim! :glare: ) now with vow in her hands will start great path of revenge up to Empress post. And of course (becouse all children of fate need to have it, how they would be recognized if not :roll ) this super-human child have birth-mark - one connecting him to WY I bet.

Was it me or Lady Park looked alive on the road, before they took her back to city?

Only light in this Turk Lady come back, but as this drama goes right now I so see her start romancing WY and loose all my interest as well. Is she going to be his wife?

Not much of TH in this episode so calmly waiting for subtitles.
It's pitty that from child play this drama start to be predictive and messy, I hopped for more :-(

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 21st, '14, 18:52

From what Issy said i assume that the child is born healthy,.......
strange because as she said SN is 7 months pregnant tops and a baby born so prematurely at that time wouldn't survive no matter what.

I was hopping that the writers would go into the direction "SN gets pregnant from her love of her life aka WY(bliah) and in ep 22 with all that happened and her fall and landing with her belly + blood that we saw on her cloths she will have a miscarriage and that would be the 'last drop' for her and she would go all out for revenge now even more than before for her mother and dead child."

This is what i was hoping and with that i believe that the writers could go back in track and give us a powerful drama(i even believe that would get the ratings even higher) +that would explain the scene from ep1 were SN becomes the empress of TH.
For me the scene from ep1 would look complete if that was what happens next(in let's say the next 5-10 ep) in EKI she gains power to get revenge by becoming empress + i believe that TH somehow gained some of the love and trust from SNin the meantime,so even if she still loves WY(first love and all) she "sacrifices" to punish the people that hurt her the most.

When subs come out i hope i am not disappointed from what i will see,EKI becomes more and more bad plot wise and this is a first to me,all historical dramas i seen so far from Korea were always good and they kept a good story line,this looks more like a bad written modern romantic story thrown on a historical set.

They should respect the historical events a little and don't follow a bad novel.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 21st, '14, 19:28

I switched already from real events to whatever come to writer mind but I want well thought plot, thats all. and it's not.
But
I really need subtitles for ep24 as it could be that even with this child thing it will not be so bad as long that thing is small enough to not make mass on his own. From what I saw there could be interesting court stragle going on as all characters made their way back in palace and TalTal joined forces with SN for now. I still do not like her anymore but at least she seems to do something once more. And she is not going back to WY! Yes! Well, she knows he agreed to marry but still. Or maybe I did not understood well why she did not took out the moment B and TT bought her? I mean before she knew about marriage agreement?
I wonder how the Turk girl knew to try to bought SN? I did not understood that part. Did she saw her portrait?
So we have determined SN going back to TH - the girl decided to use poor love-fool to take her revenge, I would like it more if I was not so into TH.

But this blood vow made me laugh, how it can be so fresh? It looks like it was just written and with somebody with very sparkly and light red blood. Vampire maybe?

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 21st, '14, 19:47

Oh dear ahireasu
There are so many illogical things that happens in kdramas but it seems they really don't care how much it makes sense or is logic to be written in the plot.

In ep24
Empress Dowager came back to the palace with all of her glory including her long hair. I would like to know what she actually used to make it grow this fast. It was a miraculous grow over night. Just like SN's baby surviving the whole ordeal.
It seems the angsty plot is over for a while. At least for us but not SN.
SN was adoppted by Bayan after was sold as a slave and now going to be TH's 1st concubine in no time.
WY got married (politically) to a princess forgetting love of his love so fast. There is a new love interest for SN from TalTal and SN looking with angry eyes at everything and everyone. To keep reminding you that she's only there for revenge of course. So if god forbid you mistook her future lovey dovey scenes with romantic feelings, you should remember her revenge plan at once. Just look at her eyes and you will remember because you ppl seeking revenge should not disguise their intentions and look totally normal.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 21st, '14, 20:48

Issy, seriously :rofl:
D could wear wig to be fair but I suppose 4 months with super-shampoo can do the trick as well. If she managed to avoid regular meetings with scisors as noon of course. Why she is back btw? As baby-is-born-we-spare-all-prisoners-of-confict lucky receiver?
SN had this eye problem from beginig so nothing new. And she is oportunistic kind of girl, nothing new here as well she was not totally imune to TH as her memories suggested of course before preganacy hormones took over and still used him all the way when she could but I hoped I misinterpreted behaviour of TalTal, there is evidence with speaking part? It fit story as TalTal is suppose to betray B due to SN influence.
But this part of her being adopted: so maybe she will not be concubine at all, maybe they put together real first Empress (or to be strict second after Regent doughter) and SN and she will go stright for crown?

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » Jan 21st, '14, 21:02

Well the more i think about it the more i get pissed, HJW is my most favourite actress from Korea and i believe she is one of the most talented as well,but for some strange reason after the huge success ofc of secret garden she is cast in those stupid mushy dramas..... ok secret garden was a success but Hyun Bin helped in this ALLOT, the chemistry was great and this was the first role on small screen for HJW after 4 years and an amazing performance in Hwang Jin Yi.

EKI could have been an historical drama of epic purpotions and to be remembered in the future as one of the best like Quenn Seon Deok,Dae Jang Geum etc. but noooo the writers went for the easy solution to try and sell the HJW and 2 hot male leads and make a romantic story with historical background but no actual story, did they not learn their lesson from KIng2hearts?

I hope HJW in the future to make better choices in roles the years are passing and she is not getting any younger,i want to see her again in a hwang Jin yi like(in well written story) drama.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 21st, '14, 21:11

question:
at the end we have selection of what? concubines? Or second wife's candidates? Becouse if SN is presented as B doughter it's rather second, is it? And how they are going to explain to Regent & Merry Little Familly of his how she went back from WY's follower to Yuan's doughter and Emperor's candidate? People has eyes.. or here they don't? plus, no check? scars thing, virgin thing?
and after some thoughts on development
TalTal in love with SN? :pale: no, please, no! I like TalTal second after TH. Please, let's keep him rational one :cry:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 21st, '14, 21:59

I'm going to be honest with my opinion about HJW here :pale:
I like HJW and I think she is a great "action" actress that no Korean actress can match her physical ability and willingness to do such tough scenes. But, from acting point of view, I feel she is still lacking some experiences.
Because I like her, I always choose her dramas to watch but she always manages to annoy me half way through the drama. It happened in every single drama of her that I have watched. but I know I will still pick her dramas to watch in future..she needs to use that shocked eyes a little less though. :sweat:

as for TalTal, He's my 2nd most favourite character after TH too so I really don't mind writing such plot for him.
I still have not watched ep24 fully myself so I will write more after I'm done.

MitsukaiKuroi2

Post by MitsukaiKuroi2 » Jan 23rd, '14, 23:03

Okay... I watched Ep. 23 last night and it was not as bad as I thought it would be... Still a some inconsistencies but not as bad as Ep 22... I think I can stick around and tough it through! :lol

High five to you JeliesS!!! I thought the same thing when
she was in the cave and there were beautiful candles and a perfectly clean baby in white cloth!!! I was like "where was she hiding those candles??? AND how did she light them (@_@)...
I know it is minor but seriously? :lol

Also has the director never heard of
rigor mortis and the cold weather??? I mean the bodies should have been stiff as boards! I know it is just a KDrama but the bodies still looked so "lively".
The one thing that is starting to bother me is that it has now become TOO predictable...
Was anyone shocked at all that the child would have a birthmark to identify him? Or that the baby would survive such a long fall in a dead man's arms? Or that Tashiri would adopt the baby to pass off as her own... Or that Tashiri would kill the monks to cover her tracks...

Don't think that I am evil but I have never wanted a baby to die in a drama as much as I have with EKi... I know that her not knowing that her child is alive will be fuel for her revenge but it could have been more heart wrenching and emotional... The loss of her baby would have made me really cheer her on for revenge... She then could have had TH's child to make sure that he continues her revenge by ruling as Emperor... But instead we were given the obvious...
But one of the things I have to say is that Ji Chang-wook's acting was really good... I swear he is one of the main reasons that I am sticking with this drama ATM... I am waiting for more screen time between him and HJW because they really have great chemistry... I am NOT feeling ANYTHING between her and Joo Jin-mo.... I keep staring and trying but nothing "moves me" with them... *sigh* :-(

MitsukaiKuroi2

Post by MitsukaiKuroi2 » Jan 24th, '14, 20:48

Now that I have seen Ep 24 I can say that I still think the "baby plot" was stupid BUT I am still interested to see what will happen...

My favorite part was when
TH went in and was about to strangle Tashiri! We knew he was going to stop but it still a funny moment for me... You can completely understand where he is coming from!
I was glad to see
Turkish girl return... I had actually forgotten about her..... Hopefully, she will bring something interesting back to the WY story...
And I have to admit that my heart jumped for a brief moment when SN
reacted to the news about TH having aphasia... The look in her eye and how she seemed concerned made me forget that she is SO in love with WY :roll Image

I am hoping that she starts out wanting revenge but grows to care for TH in some way... But knowing KDrama writers she will be pining for WY and NO ONE can ever fill her heart again... :glare:
Yeah real history has been completely thrown out of the window with this one... Still I feel that despite the minor mistakes in Ep 24
including the Dowager showing up with a head full of glorious hair... Either that or Korean wigs are AMAZING! LOL
it redeemed itself for me and made me want to really stick with it! I was so worried after EP 22... I really was...... :lol

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 25th, '14, 16:57

Well, if he is brain dead he is no use to her but to be fair she reacted before info on WY marriage and her revenge plan was formulated so maybe she is at least fond of him. But I will not hold my breath on this.
TalTal pragmatic nature here is something I admire, he is so very foreseeing with his prediction of her being dangerous in the future. Never underestimate woman scorned! I agree with what he said, People do not create betrayal, time does. There is no person trustworthy enough if the circumstances are right (or bad really). B, as he said himself is too bold and strightforward kind of guy to see it, even if he did exactly that himself before. I like him as he is that kind of simple enough person to be good follower and man of honor despite some missteps. He and TalTal balance themselves well which makes them good team even if normaly I would say TalTal should be the one on top, I prefer brain to muscles :lol.
Now, as battle Begin I only hope that SY can keep her promise to herself and stop looking for WY :glare:
I am looking forward to see more of Turk girl too, she could be interesting character to involve in politics strugle

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 26th, '14, 10:18

I saw ep23 with subs last night and it still was super bad.
From repeated embarrassing candles scenes to suddenly materialising of that magic mirror, constant disappearing of that superbaby from time he was in his mother's womb till birth...
Ep 22 & 23 were the worst eps of this drama so far. MBC should take back some of those awards given in new year.
What's the use of Tanashili saying "why this baby is so small" and the monk answers "it was born premature" when they show me few months old baby. I'm not nitpicking but I rather have them keep quiet about then make me laugh at their stupidity.
I saw ep24 raw (waiting for DSS) only but I kind of feel betrer a little after that. I still wish SN baby was born dead too. Baby plot only making this drama more predictable. I'm wondering if they're going to make TH an evil character once he finds out about his DNA origins. I also don't want him to be used by SN for her revengeful plans. What is wrong with having her fall for TH, the person who always loved her? Oh wait! She's madly in love with Great King of Goreyo :glare:

@Mitsukaikuroi2
That concerned look gave me some hope too. My heart skipped a beat when I thought she's actually worried about him.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 26th, '14, 22:52

Issy:
From TH point of view (mine too) child is doomed anyway as he can be Empress's son (with his not willing participation - kind of like psychological rape) or WY's son - his enemy form political and private point of view. So kind of difficult for him to be fond of it. Generally I understand concept of child innocence but in reality I'm more Sicilia's mafia's low kind of person so I wish it death. But no chance for it anymore, it will grow and bit us, TH and plot in the most unconvinient way possible. Nothing better to put pair together like lost child!

And I am really interested in how they are going to deal with SN as consort send by B, seriously for stunt like this I would have his head on the plate in Regent's place. And her. This move is too bold and too quick. I look forward to next episodes but less for general development more to observe how writers are going to explain this whole mess. And how they are going to strike now when they have vow in their hands. Vow is usefull but without military, economic and political power to back it up I just can't see it.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 27th, '14, 17:31

I'm still hoping SN will (more or less) accidently kill her own baby, just for extra melo and to clean the table. I don't want any little cuckoos flying around the palace. >.<

But yeah, there were so many fails in previous episodes that I have energy to list them all. I don't get how they got this far with almost flawless episodes and then everything goes wrong. Maybe they should take small break and continue after that...

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Jan 28th, '14, 01:09

So still confused after today episode
I agree that sons and doughter can be shut up by Lady Pak's incydent threat but not Regent (still Regent was not fully informed about SN involvement so maybe? but still he saw her with WY I think?).
I am not going to comment on her behaviour during meeting with TH, I need my beatuy sleep, I need to stay calm :glare:
How this power hungry staff girl could just punch candidate on consort is starnage too, even if she is near Empress now still those candidates should be considered as on higher position?
And at the end she could not be dismised as we saw in preview her to be prepared for TH visit (in bed) so why she made such strange face? She should be happy or at least to have tryumph kinde of face not such disbelieving and wounded like he rejected her. Is she really good actress? She supposed to be I thought but I am less and less convinced.
I really need subtitles to understand this trials more :-(

Issy

Post by Issy » Feb 9th, '14, 00:32

Haven't been able to post anything here because I was/still am to busy with real life and its problems.
but right now I am watching ep28 with DSS subs and am really fuming with anger. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
first of all, I'm really hating SN's attitude now. Now that she's the 1st concubine, she acts so arrogantly with TH, the one who made her get this position. I do understand her apply of tough love (not sure if there is any love there though) to make TH come to his senses and start fighting for his rights as the true emperor but how does she tell him "You can't do anything for me and I won't do anything for you either"? She thinks she's the empress already? SN wouldn't be there if it wasn't for TH to pick her as his concubine. It seems that she has totally forgotten that she's really nobody in that place without TH's help. If she really think she can do it on her own without TH's help then she has to come down from her from her high position first and try it for real.
I just had enough of SN acting tough and almighty without giving a damn about the main reason of how she got there. :cussing:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Feb 10th, '14, 00:32

eh, I understand you Issy I stopped for Empress Ki for the moment as I started to consider throwing things at my TV and I really can't afford new one :cussing: . It would be funny to watch SN attitude and TH learning to write and all if I had a bit of hope that it is temporary. But I slowly started to give up on this drama, as much as i enjoy palace plottings and back stabbing SN overshadowed all my joy. I am on stage to feed her poison myself and start to root for Empress who at least has reason for her behaviour.

What it is with all dramas to get on my nerves in the middle of screening anyway?