RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 4th, '12, 22:08

Ah yes life is indeed short. If you have not found out the value of one minute in time when you are 30, then it's time you did.

By the time you reach ninety all those wasted minutes add up to many lost years. :x

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 4th, '12, 23:02

sarashina_nikki wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for kdramas that focus more on family relationships than romance? Especially ones dealing with families that don't have blood ties.

Recently I watched City Hunter, The Duo, and Padam Padam, all of which feature father-son relationships that aren't biological. While watching these dramas I found myself much more emotionally invested in the parent-child relationship than anything else, and towards the end I was mostly just fast forwarding through the romance plots to get back family drama. Are there other dramas with similar themes anyone could suggest that I might enjoy?
Bad Family would be one. It's mainly about a family without blood ties. Romance is also there, but not so much as in a pure romcom.
Also "Pick the Stars "is about family without any blood-relation, but the romance here is more important, than in Bad Family.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Mar 5th, '12, 05:09

Can anyone here recommend any really good, old fashioned, family dramas?
I loved the high kick series, Smile You, and I'm absolutely loving Ojakgyo Brothers...

The character development is much more intricate and chemistry between relationships aren't rushed...
You grow to love the characters more and become way more attached because you have so much time to get to know them!

So if anyone has any recommendations, it will be much appreciated, thanks. :D

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Mar 5th, '12, 06:18

haha yeah when your young life seems long but after hitting 31 and also losing a few loved ones It makes you realize how short life is. Sarashina Personally I liked Que sera sera but I would just go with what you like after watching a few episodes. If I don't like it after the first 3 or 4 then I don't usually continue unless it gets rave reviews. Then I might give it another chance. Even if I consider it a good drama it might not be to your taste. I also find it more heartwarming when dramas focus more on non- blood related relationships maybe because I am adopted. I am also looking for more of the dramas with that theme. So far I would second Family's Honor, New Tales of Gisaeng and Kimcheed Radish Cubes and Padam Padam. All excellent dramas imho.
Last edited by jubies33 on Mar 5th, '12, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 5th, '12, 16:09

WinnythePanda wrote:Can anyone here recommend any really good, old fashioned, family dramas?
I loved the high kick series, Smile You, and I'm absolutely loving Ojakgyo Brothers...

The character development is much more intricate and chemistry between relationships aren't rushed...
You grow to love the characters more and become way more attached because you have so much time to get to know them!

There aren't many such dramas, which have 16-20 episodes. Most of them are pretty long. You can say almost every drama with 50+ episodes is such an drama, where it's all about family and relations.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 5th, '12, 18:12

WinnythePanda wrote:Can anyone here recommend any really good, old fashioned, family dramas?

Shining Inheritance.

rikimaiu

Post by rikimaiu » Mar 8th, '12, 07:50

An ever green and really good drama is ALL ABOUT EVE. Highly recommended.

sarashina_nikki

Post by sarashina_nikki » Mar 8th, '12, 11:55

Thank you for all the recs about family dramas, everyone! So far I've been watching Can You Hear My Heart and really really enjoying it. :)

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Mar 8th, '12, 12:52

Family's honor, New tales of Gisaeng,highly recommended ! :thumright:

@sarashina_nikk, glad you're liking it, it has one of the best bromance (1st place for the bromance in Queen of reversals)!

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » Mar 9th, '12, 02:23

Ahhhh~~Just finished watching Dream High.Never expected it to be so nice!

Next drama,Chuno!

But gotta start looking for next kdrama or else nothing to watch after Chuno :lol

Any recommendation?

luna_2078

Pasta / Who are you?

Post by luna_2078 » Mar 9th, '12, 22:34

Hey guys!! ;)

I just finished Pasta, and what can i say... i loved it from the very beggining to the end!!1 :O I can say by now its one of my fave kdramas!! I like (dont ask me why :P hehe) that kind of couple... a guy who is older than the girl... like in "Who are you?"... the guy was supposed to be 10 years older than her... i dont know ,... in my point of view, i like that because its like the guy is more protective over the girl, more experienced, ... in the other hand, i dont reallhy like couples where the girl is older except for kim sam soon...

So my question is... could you reccomend me another drama in which the guy is a little older than the girl... Ive heart that in "I am sam"... theres a teacher and he kinda have a relationship with a student... what about that one? is that a good drama to watch or there would be another one even better... of the same "style"?

I aprreciate all your suggestions, and looking forward to read them all! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 9th, '12, 22:45

Then please read last few pages.
Plus, in 99.9% of dramas, a guy is older than a girl.

Neliets

Re: Pasta / Who are you?

Post by Neliets » Mar 10th, '12, 08:40

luna_2078 wrote: So my question is... could you reccomend me another drama in which the guy is a little older than the girl... Ive heart that in "I am sam"... theres a teacher and he kinda have a relationship with a student... what about that one? is that a good drama to watch or there would be another one even better... of the same "style"?
I am Sam... yes... it kinda has teacher-student relationship(but it's not concentrated on it). I loved the drama, when I first watched it but it was 2nd drama I watched ever. For today's standards, I think it is average. But you have to decide, not me.

Here guys are quite older than the girl :
Snow Queen - watchable
The Man Who Can't Get Married - this one is good, but it barely passes your criteria
Stranger Than Paradise - I thought it was good
Sign - I think this counts, too
Que Sera Sera - this one is really good, but be aware - it's not a rom-com
Sorry I Love You - I think this counts, too, and this one is just awesome but not a rom-com, too.
My Sister-In-Law is 19 - I don't remember it well but I think this one passes your criteria
Bodyguard - this is exactly what you are looking for, and it was quite good
Who Are You - this is what you are looking for, too, but I thought it was nothing much
Sweet 18 - exactly what you are looking for, but I barely finished it(it was boring) but there are some that like this
That Fool - an awesome romcom. Just awesome.

That's all I could remember right now, and I am starting to have headache, because of too much thinking. :mrgreen:

Ethlenn, yes, but they always are almost the same age, only few years apart, but I think luna_2078 whas going for dramas in which guy is a lot older.

rernkent

Post by rernkent » Mar 11th, '12, 17:46

Simple. I love 'That Fool'

Still cant find a drama i like more so any recommendations?

I've watched Secret Garden recently. havent watch much kdrama as i'm a jdrama fanatic.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 12th, '12, 23:30

What is for you "much older"? 5 years apart is for me not much older (either ways noona+ds or oppa+ds). Much older begins for me with 10+. So pasta would not qualify, because the actors are just 5 years apart and the characters too.
You have to look for older dramas (2007 and older). There is almost every drama, where the guy is 7-10 years older than the girl.
And you have to tell if the age difference is for the characters or the actors. Because often there is a relatively big difference between the actors, but almost none between the dramacharaters.
One point, which you have to tell is, if age should be a topic in the drama or not. In a lot of dramas they don't care about it.

Dramas, where the man is older than the woman:

Cinderella Man-the actors are ~15 years apart, but the characters are about 5 years apart

I am Sam - the actors are ~5 years apart, but the characters 7-10

Successful Story of a Bright Girl - actors 5 years apart, the characters 7-9 years apart

Hello Teacher- all the actors are born in the same year, but the characters have an agegap of: ~5-7(second male[older]+first female) and 6 years(first male[younger]+first female]

I love you - ~14 years agedifference(both actors and characters).

A Thousand Kisses- second male and second female lead characters are 9 years apart and the actors are 17 years apart. btw. i dubbed Kim So Eun(the second female lead) ahjushi-killer, because every drama i watched, where she plays a character, she is 10-20 years younger, than the partner

Golden Bride(a good one)-the actors are 5 years apart, the characters 8-9

Hello! Miss- actors 5 years apart, the characters ~8-9 years apart.

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 13th, '12, 01:24

I also recommend for people asking for some suggestions to go back few pages and read other posts. Specially for 1st time posters. It is fun to read and you might even find some other dramas interesting when you were not looking for them.
This thread is getting very repetitive in recommendations which only makes me think people are not reading the thread at all.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Mar 13th, '12, 01:32

Issy wrote:I also recommend for people asking for some suggestions to go back few pages and read other posts. Specially for 1st time posters. It is fun to read and you might even find some other dramas interesting when you were not looking for them.
This thread is getting very repetitive in recommendations which only makes me think people are not reading the thread at all.
:lol probably because it's over 200 pages long ;). So I would guess that people are probably not reading the entire thread, but (if anything) only a few pages back.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 13th, '12, 02:03

Issy wrote:I also recommend for people asking for some suggestions to go back few pages and read other posts. Specially for 1st time posters. It is fun to read and you might even find some other dramas interesting when you were not looking for them.
Its true, especially for people, who write: "Can you recommend a drama". These people should just browse a little. On the other hand if you are looking for a specific genre/scenario/actor/whatever, then it is a whole other story, because not everybody has time or the motivation to read all 215 pages and just come to the conclusion: "i have to ask"^^.

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 13th, '12, 05:45

Well I did write "few pages back". Of course no one can read the entire thread but at least 2-3 pages maybe? The way all these recommendations are getting repeated shows that no one is bothered to read the previous post let alone a page back.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 13th, '12, 06:43

I agree, reading even 5 pages back won't hurt anyone. :x

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 14th, '12, 03:08

Here is a tough one. Please name a few dramas which nobody recommends. I mean we repeat here for the last 100 pages the same set of 30-50 dramas, which we recommend. But what is with all the dramas, which nobody recommends? It doesn't need to be a special drama, which you love or would recommend. The criteria is, that it wasn't recommended or at least is not on the top 10 shortlist of recommended dramas, so don't come here with:
That Fool
SG
Princess Man
YAB
a.s.o..

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 14th, '12, 04:34

Here is the problem. We just can't recommend any drama without knowing what sort of genre and storyline people coming to this thread want. I just can't tell you watch that sageuk without knowing if you like to watch sageuks in the first place or not.
As for above dramas, Yes! I have seen them almost in every page for God knows how many pages back. So it's kind of fun to see a drama that hardly been mentioned (maybe here where the underrated drama thread comes handy)

Bearing in mind all different tastes and likes and dislikes of Kdrama fans I can name Tamra the Island/ tempted again as one of those dramas that I hardly see it gets recommended.
I watched this drama more than a year go without any expectation or for the sake of any particular actor. I just picked the drama because I was reading some blogging about it and was very curious to find out why on earth there is a blond guy in The middle of a sageuk drama. To my surprise, I found myself totally loving the drama and its leading actor. :mrgreen:
It's light and funny Manhwa based sageuk with very simple storyline but very intertaining to watch. You don't need to invest much of brain to watch it and its political sidestiory can be solved by a 4 yrs old kid. The highlight of this drama is basically its character Park Kyu and the actor Lim JuHwan and all characters in Tamna.
Me personally don't like recommending much because of all different tastes.
Just a reminder, skip the first 15 mins of ep1 and try the 21 ep DC version.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 15th, '12, 00:59

Silverman wrote:Here is a tough one. Please name a few dramas which nobody recommends. I mean we repeat here for the last 100 pages the same set of 30-50 dramas, which we recommend. But what is with all the dramas, which nobody recommends? It doesn't need to be a special drama, which you love or would recommend. The criteria is, that it wasn't recommended or at least is not on the top 10 shortlist of recommended dramas, so don't come here with:
That Fool
SG
Princess Man
YAB
a.s.o..
this is easy I looked and didn't see any of these in the last 5 pages, I was just skimming so maybe I missed but I don't think so

Soul
What's Up
Padam Padam
Flowers for my Life
Thank You
Secret Investigation Record
Vampire Prosecutor
Damo
What Happened in Bali
History of a Salaryman
Someday
Jungle Fish 2
Daemul
Goodbye Solo
One Fine Day
Auction House

there's a lot more

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 15th, '12, 02:22

For
Someday
Jungle Fish 2
Daemul
One Fine Day
Auction House
You are right. There are almost no recommendations for these dramas, but the other, like padam padam, they are basically everywhere here in this forum^^. But thank you. Now i have 2 dramas, which i overlooked and perhaps give them a chance.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 15th, '12, 07:24

But some of them have separated threads, meaning - they are known to some people (mostly group of 2-5 writing there) so no point of mentioning here. Oh, if someone is too lazy to read 2 first pages of Kdrama subforum and see the list of topics then I understand.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Mar 16th, '12, 00:19

Silverman wrote:Here is a tough one. Please name a few dramas which nobody recommends. I mean we repeat here for the last 100 pages the same set of 30-50 dramas, which we recommend. But what is with all the dramas, which nobody recommends? It doesn't need to be a special drama, which you love or would recommend. The criteria is, that it wasn't recommended or at least is not on the top 10 shortlist of recommended dramas, so don't come here with:
That Fool
SG
Princess Man
YAB
a.s.o..
i would recommend once upon a time in saengchori

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Mar 16th, '12, 13:55

jubies33 wrote:
i would recommend once upon a time in saengchori
:thumleft:
I think we have almost the same taste ! I watched 7 episodes of that drama without subs, it's crazy!

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 16th, '12, 18:48

I have downloaded these dramas -
Comrades
High Kick 2(?)
Exhibition of Fireworks
La Dolce Vita
Love Story in Harvard

But I don't feel like watching any of them. I tried all of them but all of them seemed quite dull and not interesting. So can anyone recommend me something I wouldn't have seen and would be a great drama to watch?
Ethlenn, you always have something in mind that I haven't seen yet and almost every time I come to like your recommendations.... you got any?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 16th, '12, 18:51

If you're up to a long drama watch Giant. If not, maybe When it's At Night? Not great but good and Kim Suna. :mrgreen:
Plus Salaryman.

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » Mar 17th, '12, 13:20

Just finished watching Chuno...damn sad the ending.
Daegil died...and wat happen to Taeha?
Last edited by kenshihimura on Mar 18th, '12, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 17th, '12, 20:08

How considerate of you to spoil the ending to those who haven't seen it. There are 'spoiler' tags here, please use it.

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » Mar 18th, '12, 02:47

Ethlenn wrote:How considerate of you to spoil the ending to those who haven't seen it. There are 'spoiler' tags here, please use it.
Oh,I'm sorry.Juz edited my previous post :-)

justintorque

Post by justintorque » Mar 18th, '12, 04:42

I have some questions to those who are sageuk fans, is Queen Insoo a nice drama? I am thinking of watching Gyabaek but seeing that it is more than 50+ episodes I am having hesitations. I only watched 2 50+ episodes drama and that is Dong Yi and Dae Jang Geum.

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 18th, '12, 06:16

Gye Baek is not a 50+ ep sageuk. It has 36 eps. 8) That does not make it into long sageuk category.

justintorque

Post by justintorque » Mar 18th, '12, 06:31

Oh... I thought it was 50+ thanks for the heads up Issy. Will schedule it for this week.. Currently watching Soldier, but since its a new show, will probably stop and wait for the whole drama to finish and finish the remaining episodes in 2 or 3 days. No lifer here. XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '12, 11:47

justintorque wrote:I have some questions to those who are sageuk fans, is Queen Insoo a nice drama? I am thinking of watching Gyabaek but seeing that it is more than 50+ episodes I am having hesitations. I only watched 2 50+ episodes drama and that is Dong Yi and Dae Jang Geum.
As Issy said, Gyebaek is 36. Queen Insoo is cheduled to 50.
I liked Gyebaek a lot, but I have personal attachement to Baekje, so...
Queen Insoo is nice and highly political/psychological, but no subs from ep 3 up. So decide.
Plus, Insoo is rather taeha.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 18th, '12, 16:42

I'm looking for dramas, where one/both of the mainleads(female or male) are "evil" in the beginning. And with evil/bad i don't mean selfish jerks or bitches. In most cases these people are just spoiled. In worst case they are just cold, but not really bad businesspeople. I mean really such people, who are so bad like the second leads in a normal drama.
I think Miss Ripley is such a drama (but i watched just the first 2 episodes, so i don't know how it plays out).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '12, 17:01

Bad Guy? President? Royal Family? Flames of Ambition? In Stars Falling From The Sky and Salaryman there is one evil character too.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Mar 18th, '12, 19:14

ooooh Salaryman had one of the best villains imho. I was wowed by the acting. Face glued to screen.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 19th, '12, 01:06

I don't talk about "evil" characters(i hate this word, because it sounds so black and white) overall in dramas. I have "evil" or real bad people as first leads in mind.
In Stars falling from the sky- the first leads are not bad, she is just immature and he is just "cold", but not bad.
Royal Family- ok they are not exactly good people, but also not bad.
The other i know of, but didn't watch, so i don't know how the leads are. The one, who came close to being "evil" is PSH in "Family's Honor".
jubies33 wrote:ooooh Salaryman had one of the best villains imho. I was wowed by the acting. Face glued to screen.
Which villain do you have in mind? The one played by Kim Suh Hyung (Mo Ga Bi)? If yes, then (if you have the time^^) watch Temptation of Wife. She is also the mainvillain in this one and she is the first villain, which i had sympathy for, even if she did so much real bad stuff.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 19th, '12, 08:19

Silverman wrote: In Stars falling from the sky- the first leads are not bad, she is just immature and he is just "cold", but not bad.
I was talking about the mother.
Wanted to add Family Honor, but somehow I knew you watched it.

pmt

Post by pmt » Mar 20th, '12, 06:48

Hello again.
I was wondering if you guys could recommend any heart warming stuff for me to watch. Been through some **** recently. I really liked shining inheritance, something along those lines?
Thank you guys again, I know I was difficult in the past.
Oh I forgot to mention, I've already seen SG, Coffee Prince, Goong. And I don't dig stuff like You're Beautiful cuz im a guy xD

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Mar 20th, '12, 08:45

[quote="pmt"]Hello again.
I was wondering if you guys could recommend any heart warming stuff for me to watch. Been through some **** recently. I really liked shining inheritance, something along those lines?
Oh I forgot to mention, I've already seen SG, Coffee Prince, Goong. And I don't dig stuff like You're Beautiful cuz im a guy xD[/quote]

Hey there,

First off I am not very versed on korean dramas and will leave final comments to others but heres my take:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by heart warming, besides political/thriller type dramas nearly all of the korean dramas I've seen had heart warming points. If you mean "only good things to happen, no tear jerkers, no bad stuff happening to hero/heroine" then I'd say you are out of luck as all korean dramas I've watched had high emotional scenes/episodes.

If you are ok with those then my recomendations would be:
Thank you - a tear jerker that left me with a feel-good impression.
Wild romance - Not exactly heart warming but flat out funny.
The greatest love - Might be what you are looking for. basicly a romance/comedy/drama
Invincible Parachute Agent - Been too log since I watched this but I remember this being fun.
Goong S - adding because you mentioned Goong. I heard these two are similar and many say that Goong S is better than Goong. havent watched them so do not comment me on that.

Besides these I had romance town, protect the boss, scent of a woman, pasta, city hunter, chuno, baby-faced beauty, 49 days, 18 vs. 29 on my ''to watch'' list because of high recomendations. I still havent watched them so cant comment but you might want to check them out.

And since you wathed Coffee Prince; from what I heard You're beautiutiful is basically coffee prince with more guys (usually called reverse harem in animes). I dont think it is something to avoid if you are a straight guy.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 20th, '12, 14:57

pmt wrote:Hello again.
Oh I forgot to mention, I've already seen SG, Coffee Prince, Goong. And I don't dig stuff like You're Beautiful cuz im a guy xD
I am not the most emotional human being here but I kinda get what you are want.

Dramawiki these dramas and pick one :
Fantasy Couple
That Fool
My Girlfiend Is A Gumiho (I can bet you would fall for Shin Min Ah... Even girls went lesbian after watching this :mrgreen: )
Evasive Inquiry Agency

I won't recommend you too many, any of these will do. But I think you should just slap s**t in the face and just watch dramas that may not be so heartwarming but are so damn good(and I really think that any guy will enjoy them). Few of them :
Bad Guy
The Devil
Resurrection
Chuno(ok, shirtless guys aren't exactly what may appeal to you but the storyline is actually something that a guy kdrama watcher would love)

Few that are nor this, nor that(wouldn't put on in the best selection and aren't heartwarming) but something a guy would enjoy(in my opinion) :
Fugitive: Plan B (some will say that it's for Rain fangirls but I want to disagree. It's funny, there is a lot of action)
The Princes's Man (a period drama)
..and many more. It's pointless to write them all. :mrgreen:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 20th, '12, 15:09

the problem with heartwarming is that usually it's at the end after the characters go to hell and come out the other side, but here's some

I'll second Thank You because until everyone on earth has seen it, not enough people have,

Flowers for my Life- for similar reasons as Thank You

Padam Padam- boy does he go through **** but again the end is heartwarming

Scent of a Woman-

pmt

Post by pmt » Mar 20th, '12, 16:57

Thanks for all your replies.
From my experience, most kdramas have some sad component. I think this is okay and the series can still be heartwarming. The heartwarming part usually comes from character relationships and interaction for me.

The thing I can't take is when someone dies. Then the drama turns super sad, or into some revenge tale.
I'm a pretty picky person, but I'll try to be nice about some of these (sorry):
The greatest love - the female lead has no personality
that fool - almost as bad as densha otoko, can't believe lack of self-confidence is a selling point
scent of a woman - i really liked this one, but the lead was waaay to depressed the whole series. This reminded of one of my fav s. korean movies Git feathers in the wind, but movies and kdramas really aren't comparable. The latter* cant compete imo.

I'm going to check out gumiho, and thank you.

Thanks again!!
Last edited by pmt on Mar 21st, '12, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 21st, '12, 03:55

Watched Bad Couple not too long ago and this one is heartwarming and it has all elements: comedy, romance and a tearjerker (but not too sad,..tearjerker light).
Other heartwarming dramas(from my point of few)
One Mom, Three Dads - Even though not everybody likes it
Bad Family - heartwarming, but not everybody likes the maincouple,,,about strangers, who become a real family
It's OK, Daddy's Girl - also mixed reactions for this one. has heartwarming parts.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 21st, '12, 16:43

I'm thinking about watching Tree With Deep Roots, but the last historical drama I watched, Chuno was a huge disappointment to me I know most people loved it but the always wonderful Jang Hyuk and star performances from Oh Ji Ho, Han Jung Soo, Kim Ji Suk and Kim Ha Eun couldn't change the fact that I hated Lee Da Hae's character she had no personality or likable traits I kept waiting for her to die and for Jang Hyuk and Oh Ji Ho to fall in love with a rock, which would have been so much more rewarding for the audience, but I digress I guess my question is what can you tell me about Shin Se Kyung and her character first Shin Se Kyung herself is she a good actress or maybe ok but still needs some more polish or is she a bad actress, and her character is her character a pointless rock or does she have a point or at least character?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 21st, '12, 17:16

Shin Se Kyung has at least 3 facial expressions, and LDH managed to acquire a new one in Miss Ripley only (that accounted to 2).
I don't know, I dropped Deeprooted Tree, decide.

On the side not, how can you say a drama is a huge disappointment just because you don't like one actor/actress or character? I don't like LDH too (you don't say?), but Chuno is my Top 10.

baibaiman

KDrama Genre Fantasy e.g. My Girlfriend is Gumiho, etc..

Post by baibaiman » Mar 21st, '12, 18:11

I am a fans of Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre JDrama as well as KDrama.
What I mean by Romance Fantasy Genre is something that involve spirit/ Ghost or similar with Romance story in it.

So far, I only know 4 title of Japanese dramas with Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre that I already watched. They are Ny Girlfriend is Gumiho, 49Days and Who are you.

Anyone here know which other KDrama title that have Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre?

Please give me recommendation ,

Thank You :D

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Mar 21st, '12, 18:25

I think Secret Garden qualifies. I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm the minority opinion among my group of friends, so take that with a grain of salt. It doesn't have a ghost or anything, but the plot has some pretty strong fantasy/magic elements. Um...I haven't seen it, but maybe Operation Proposal? Again, not ghosts or anything, but definitely fantasy...

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 21st, '12, 23:38

Ethlenn wrote:Shin Se Kyung has at least 3 facial expressions, and LDH managed to acquire a new one in Miss Ripley only (that accounted to 2).
I don't know, I dropped Deeprooted Tree, decide.

On the side not, how can you say a drama is a huge disappointment just because you don't like one actor/actress or character? I don't like LDH too (you don't say?), but Chuno is my Top 10.
I think I'll give it a try it has Jang Hyuk honestly the whole post was probably better left in my head but too late now.

I can say that because with a few exceptions I expect K dramas to have the exact same story with the only difference being what characters are involved, what role the character plays and who plays them so to me characters take on elevated importance so one rock like character such as LDH in Chuno can ruin the whole thing for me.

It's not so much I don't like LDH as I haven't liked her in anything Ive ssen her in other than My Girl yet

Silverman

Re: KDrama Genre Fantasy e.g. My Girlfriend is Gumiho, etc..

Post by Silverman » Mar 22nd, '12, 09:08

baibaiman wrote:I am a fans of Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre JDrama as well as KDrama.
What I mean by Romance Fantasy Genre is something that involve spirit/ Ghost or similar with Romance story in it.

So far, I only know 4 title of Japanese dramas with Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre that I already watched. They are Ny Girlfriend is Gumiho, 49Days and Who are you.

Anyone here know which other KDrama title that have Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre?

There aren't many kdramas with fantasyelements. But i name all i know of:
The 3 you mentioned:
My GF is a Gumiho
49 Days
Who are you

The other:
Come Back Soon-Ae
Vampire Prosecutor
Don't ask about the past
Padam Padam
Secret Garden
Operation Proposal
Joseon X-Files/ Secret Investigation Record
Rooftop Prince
Thousand Years of Love
Gumiho (not to confuse with My GF is a Gumiho)
Gumiho's Revenge

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Mar 24th, '12, 06:30

baibaiman wrote:I am a fans of Romance/ Comedy Fantasy Genre JDrama as well as KDrama.

not a lot of fantasy in kdrama world..
The Moon That Embraces The Sun is both Romance and Fantasy, but won't really qualify as a comedy. It's a really good drama though, check it out.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 24th, '12, 11:59

Hometown Legends, both seasons, Hello Francesca (vampires), Legend (fantasy sageuk). In fact, there are quite a few dramas with fantasy elements.
Like 40-yo virgins in the middle of Seoul.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Mar 24th, '12, 16:20

Ethlenn wrote:Hometown Legends, both seasons, Hello Francesca (vampires), Legend (fantasy sageuk). In fact, there are quite a few dramas with fantasy elements.
Like 40-yo virgins in the middle of Seoul.
:lol :cheers: :lol

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 24th, '12, 21:51

Tou Should try Soul

it's not romance or a comedy but it has at least one real ghost also much better than the 3 you mentioned

Huattak

Post by Huattak » Mar 26th, '12, 06:10

Neliets wrote:

Fantasy Couple
That Fool
My Girlfiend Is A Gumiho (I can bet you would fall for Shin Min Ah... Even girls went lesbian after watching this :mrgreen: )
Evasive Inquiry Agency

I won't recommend you too many, any of these will do. But I think you should just slap s**t in the face and just watch dramas that may not be so heartwarming but are so damn good(and I really think that any guy will enjoy them). Few of them :
Bad Guy
The Devil
Resurrection
Chuno(ok, shirtless guys aren't exactly what may appeal to you but the storyline is actually something that a guy kdrama watcher would love)

Few that are nor this, nor that(wouldn't put on in the best selection and aren't heartwarming) but something a guy would enjoy(in my opinion) :
Fugitive: Plan B (some will say that it's for Rain fangirls but I want to disagree. It's funny, there is a lot of action)
Thanks for sharing. I just found this forum, and i tried watching That Fool you recommended. I like it alot. A very touching show to me. Watched 5 epi in one day. New record for k drama for me.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 26th, '12, 13:39

Huattak wrote:
Neliets wrote:

Fantasy Couple
That Fool
Evasive Inquiry Agency

Bad Guy
The Devil
Resurrection

Thanks for sharing. I just found this forum, and i tried watching That Fool you recommended. I like it alot. A very touching show to me. Watched 5 epi in one day. New record for k drama for me.
You'll top that record in no time, don't worry. :mrgreen: I have even watched quite a few 16-episode-dramas in one go. :wub: And I bet I am not the only one!

Huattak

Post by Huattak » Mar 27th, '12, 01:03

Nice ah. I'm addicted to this show. Watched 2 hours past my sleeping time and watched it before I left for work just now.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 27th, '12, 15:48

I'm looking for something fun and completely lighthearted so I'm thinking of trying a sitcom

now in the US sitcom means no real plot or character development and any that coincidentally happens in episode is reset the next but if the creators are lucky they're fun and lighthearted is the same true of Korean sitcoms?

also is Unstoppable High Kick a good one to start with and if it is are the two other seasons worth watching?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 27th, '12, 15:53

High Kick is epic!! 167 episodes, but you can watch either of installments as they are not connected in plot (currently High Kick 3), or High Kick Through The Roof (second season).
To answer your question - no, characters in sitcoms are personalities, and they change with the flow of the story. maybe this is why they are so interesting, it's as if you become a part of the family.
At least it was my case.

Vampire Idol is light though, but no subs.

Huattak

Post by Huattak » Mar 28th, '12, 10:08

I have just completed That Fool. Was chasing it non stop and i have converted to a Kim Ah Joong fan. Great performance.

Those who are open to period drama can try The Moon That Embraces the Sun.

RainbowTurd

Requesting Drama

Post by RainbowTurd » Apr 2nd, '12, 23:38

Hello,

I'm not really sure if I am allowed to post a request thread in this section; I'm having some trouble finding the "correct" spot but anyway...

I'm trying to look for a drama, where the typical roles between genders are switch (no, not Secret Garden). Basically, instead of having the poor/jobless/unfortunate girl falling for the rich/adored guy, I am looking for one good drama that shows the reverse of that.
:scratch:

Please and Thanks.

nosnoop

Re: Requesting Drama

Post by nosnoop » Apr 3rd, '12, 05:18

RainbowTurd wrote:I'm trying to look for a drama, where the typical roles between genders are switch (no, not Secret Garden). Basically, instead of having the poor/jobless/unfortunate girl falling for the rich/adored guy, I am looking for one good drama that shows the reverse of that.
How about Take Care of the Young Lady / My Fair Lady?

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Apr 5th, '12, 20:49

I'm curious if I didn't like Proposal Daisakusen is there any chance I'll like Operation Proposal, the main reason I didn't like Proposal Daisakusen is that despite what fangirls might tell you Yamashita Tomohisa couldn't act to save his life neither can Nagasawa Masami

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 5th, '12, 21:09

Sajen16 wrote:I'm curious if I didn't like Proposal Daisakusen is there any chance I'll like Operation Proposal, the main reason I didn't like Proposal Daisakusen is that despite what fangirls might tell you Yamashita Tomohisa couldn't act to save his life neither can Nagasawa Masami
I liked the original drama,I thought that it was original and I love original dramas, but I dropped the k-remake by ep 10, I think it's a waste of time !

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Apr 19th, '12, 17:37

I was re-watching That Fool and realized I want to see something similar so, here's my question.

Other than That Fool are there any other K dramas where the nice guy gets the girl in the end?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 19th, '12, 20:15

Sajen16 wrote:I was re-watching That Fool and realized I want to see something similar so, here's my question.

Other than That Fool are there any other K dramas where the nice guy gets the girl in the end?
Whats your definition of nice guy?
There are jerks, who become nice in the end. Thats the majority of the dramaguys. But i assume you don't have them in mind, since the male lead in That Fool is nothing like that.

Another big group of nice guys is one with guys, who are actually nice, but just have some issues with the female lead, because of some misunderstandings, like in
Take care of the young lady
Vineyard Man
The Birth of the Rich
Personal Taste
Merry Mary
King of Baking
Baby-faced beauty
Well they are not overly nice, just a normal level of niceness.

Then there is a group of male leads, who are too nice, like the one in That Fool and i assume you have these in mind. I list dramas i know of, where the guy have a similar personality(first leads), but have also the prince charming factor:

Bad Couple - in every other drama the guy would be a second lead (good looking, nice prince, who is very successful in his field).
Star's Lover - a nice professor meets a star...Nice guy and actually charming...but nice
When spring comes
I am Happy

Then there are dramas with "nice guy losers"(so basically nice underdogs, what makes them a little bit different from the other "too nice guys"-group) and the match that fool lead almost in all points

I am Sam
Marrying a Millionaire
My Fair Lady (2003)
101st Proposal - there are similarities to "that fool". normal, nice and naive guy meets a somewhat famous announcer.

Hope i helped you.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 19th, '12, 20:34

Sajen16 wrote:I was re-watching That Fool and realized I want to see something similar so, here's my question.

Not sure but "Queen of Reversals" has the nicest guy ever, well I am biased :mrgreen:

Okey here's my request , is there any drama with a good sister's relationship ? siblings that are nice to each others , help each others...not like I am going to watch it now, but just add it to the list! :salut:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 19th, '12, 21:12

Sham26 wrote: Okey here's my request , is there any drama with a good sister's relationship ? siblings that are nice to each others , help each others...not like I am going to watch it now, but just add it to the list! :salut:
It's OK, Daddy's Girl - sisters
I'm Happy - brothers and sisters
The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House- brothers
Giant
Pick the Stars

These are dramas with siblings with a good relationship. They help each other and care for each other, but also biker, like normal siblings, but on a "normal" level.
But these are also dramas,where the siblings play an important role and not just a support cast, which has 10 minutes screentime, if you combine all the screentime in all episodes of the drama.
There are also dramas, where the siblings have a minor role, but also have a good relationship. I list here a few.

Coffee Prince
Baby-faced Beauty
Shining Inheritance
Sweet Buns
Hello My Teacher
That Fool
The Greatest Love
When its at night
30 Thousand Miles in Search of My Son

changmi1218

Post by changmi1218 » Apr 20th, '12, 03:39

Last edited by changmi1218 on Nov 30th, '12, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 20th, '12, 08:34

Why no one mentions Dal Ja's Spring? It's one of the best dramas out there.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 20th, '12, 20:23

Ethlenn wrote:Why no one mentions Dal Ja's Spring? It's one of the best dramas out there.
/sign
Although i hate such endings in general, but it was at east a little bit better, than the other endings of it's kind
I have the endings in mind, where the characters break up or make a break. One of them goes to the US and then in the last 2 minutes they meet again and are looking at each other...the end. For me the worst endings ever. They top even the ending of 49 days on my hate list. but in DJS the ending is at least a little bit better, as it goes a little bit further. One of the reasons i hate such endings is, that in most of these dramas imply that they are going to be together forever...but the problem is, that the issues, which forced them apart are not all resolved. So it's kinda...yea..they could just meet for a tea after this ending and then it would be their last meeting. Sry I'm ranting again

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 20th, '12, 20:31

Silverman wrote:
I have the endings in mind, where the characters break up or make a break. One of them goes to the US and then in the last 2 minutes they meet again and are looking at each other...the end. For me the worst endings ever. They top even the ending of 49 days on my hate list. but in DJS the ending is at least a little bit better, as it goes a little bit further. One of the reasons i hate such endings is, that in most of these dramas imply that they are going to be together forever...but the problem is, that the issues, which forced them apart are not all resolved. So it's kinda...yea..they could just meet for a tea after this ending and then it would be their last meeting. Sry I'm ranting again
Well, I hate such endings with a passion too, and this "other girl" issue as well, but in overall this drama was very mature and non-Kdrama-like in many aspects.
pregnancy, abortion, affairs, open tak about pre-nuptial sex, you name it
Damn, I think I need more Minki in my life. This or more wine today, can't decide.