RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 1st, '12, 20:29

Well it would spoil my enjoyment if I tried to tear apart the concept that the drama was trying to present. I always give the writer and the director plenty of leeway to get the message over at first. Then that gives me some idea of the basics in the plot. That is enough for me to sit back and enjoy the looks of the drama or film, never mind who just put a cup down on the kitchen counter or somesuch odd action.
Silverman you must be very perceptive or a total minimalist when you watch. :-)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 1st, '12, 22:36

Everybody enjoys the drama, how he/she likes it^^. I'm not really perceptive or especially minimalistic. I also don't dissect the dramas, while i'm watching them (afterwards...sometimes and also just for aspets, which interest me). I just enjoy it to look for clues/errors/hidden messages a.s.o. in movies and books. It was always so since my childhood. I read my first detective-novel at a age of 8 or 9 (i think it was "The Hound of the Baskervilles"). I also have a very good memory for mechanisms and plots(but also a VERY poor memory for names^^). So if i watch something i'm not always noticing it at first or pay to much attention to all the details(certainly not, how the cups are placed or if the cellphone of the character is placed somewhere else between the cuts a.s.o. i don't care about such things) and i just "enjoy the ride"(well, except i'm looking for something, like a clue for "who's the criminal" in suspence-movies, but i can always turn off my "search mode"). But then, if i notice something, it falls all into the place...if you seen Hollywood's Sherlock movies...it's very much like it. So it's not like i'm thinking the whole time about these things...these thoughts, which i described in the previous post, take just a few moments...so it's not much of a b-kill
And like i said before, i enjoyed WR very much as a romcom, it's just the suspense-part, which had potential, but came short in the end. It's one thing, if the clues are too obvious and it's ok, since it's primary a romcom, but it's another thing, if they show the criminal (openly) almost in the beginning, but the characters search for him the whole time until the last episode. But this is just my opinion and my taste, so do not pay to much attention to it.
But while we are at this topic. Why is it so shocking for everybody here, if someone tries to figure out, who's the criminal in a "crime"-drama/movie/book? It's actually the purpose of this genre, that the reader/viewer tries to figure things out, while he watches/reads it and not to wait until the end and till the writer presents the answer on a plate.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 2nd, '12, 00:01

Silverman wrote:But while we are at this topic. Why is it so shocking for everybody here, if someone tries to figure out, who's the criminal in a "crime"-drama/movie/book? It's actually the purpose of this genre, that the reader/viewer tries to figure things out, while he watches/reads it and not to wait until the end and till the writer presents the answer on a plate.
I don't see it shocking. I do that all the time too. I can't just sit and relax and wait for the story to unfold itself later on. of course it eventually will, but I do try to make guesses and see if I was right or wrong at the end. it's fun for some of us.
every one has their own way of watching a drama. there is no right or wrong way to do so. as long as you enjoy what you watch. that's what matters.
personally,there are many factors for me to like a drama. while storyline and acting matters alot to me, at the same time I pay attention to details too (sometimes minor ones too, oh yes) :glare: ) and if they are done badly or not. for me, the bigger picture is not complete without those small details here and there.
we are just different and there is nothing wrong with it :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 2nd, '12, 07:35

Ah well Silverman, now your last post reveals a fuller story about the way you watch a drama. We are not all that different I think. Taking Wild Romance for example. I was enjoying the cast getting into their places and seeing who was who for the first few episodes. Then it became obvious that there was a mystery going on and I was also trying to place the one villain and decided very soon on the housekeeper. Then I just watched to see how she would operate. Your first post seemed to me that you were delving deep into small details and clues to the detriment of the enjoyment of the whole story. I got the wrong feeling from your words I think.

I also remember reading Hound of the Baskervilles about the same age as you. I also used to read all the Edgar Wallace mystery novels. I also read a weekly comic mag. called the Magnet or somesuch name. It was really written as a boys book I think.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 2nd, '12, 11:27

Peggy wrote: I also remember reading Hound of the Baskervilles about the same age as you. I also used to read all the Edgar Wallace mystery novels. I also read a weekly comic mag. called the Magnet or somesuch name. It was really written as a boys book I think.
I was more of a Christie and Doyle-fan. Although now i wouldn't read the Christie-Books...don't know why...but i was young and needed the money.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 3rd, '12, 00:44

I think the Christie novels transferred better to the screen than the printed page.

Then at that time I thought Basil Rathbone made the right appearance as Sherlock Holmes. Some of those old black and white films can still hold up.
The Hound of the Baskervilles was quite scary in the old foggy scenes on the moors in the Hounds....

Do you remember reading about those fairies that Conan Doyle believed really existed. The ones the sisters said they saw in their garden?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 3rd, '12, 07:10

Peggy wrote: Do you remember reading about those fairies that Conan Doyle believed really existed. The ones the sisters said they saw in their garden?
"FairyTale: A True Story "? Arthur C. Doyle wrote a book The Coming of the Fairies, which was a part for this.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 7th, '12, 04:47

Is Athena: Goddess of War really that bad I mean how bad can a drama that has Jung Woo Sung, Cha Seung Won, and Soo Ae be?

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Jul 7th, '12, 07:51

If you enjoy of gun fights, people getting shot pretty much each episode...this is one of those action types. I thought the story good for the genre.

I liked that Kim So Yun had a cameo. :lol

william240

Post by william240 » Jul 8th, '12, 08:18

Any recommendations for period/future change dramas. Like Queen In Hyun's man. or Dr.Jin?
Also, Any recommendations for some light, romantic-comedies?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 8th, '12, 16:08

william240 wrote:Any recommendations for period/future change dramas. Like Queen In Hyun's man. or Dr.Jin?
Do you mean time-travel dramas, where someone from the future/our present travels into the joseon or the other way around?
If yes, then here are a few other:
Rooftop Prince- a few months old drama. Quite fun and lovable actors.
Thousand Years of Love - it's a bit older(2003) and it's a little bit like Rooftop Prince, but here we don't have the sidekicks and it's a princess, not a prince. And the ending here is more "realistic" and without big holes, than in RTP.

Here are similar chinese and japanese dramas:
Palace: The Locked Heart Jade (C-drama)-
well, here i have to say, that this drama has a split personality. On one hand it's a time-travel drama, where a girl travels back in time to the Qing-Dynasty (i think it was Qing) and like any other drama, she behaves like a 21st century girl and knows the modern world a.s.o. But in between the episodes, this drama mutates in a typical Qing-drama, where, if you didn't watch the previous episodes wouldn't know, that this is a time travel drama.

Myth
It's the drama-version of Jackie Chan's Movie...surprise...Myth. Jackie is also the producer of this drama and i think he has a cameo in it. I haven't watched this one, because i couldn't find a subbed version, but it's definitely on my to watch list.
Jin 1+2 (Jdrama)
i haven't watched Time Slip Dr. Jin yet. But what i know from the synopsis, i think that TSDJ a remake of this japanese drama is. So you'll know if you would like it or not, since the story is similar.

As for other light romcoms, lokk at the last 5 pages of this thread, this question was answered like 5 times, just in these 5 pages.

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jul 8th, '12, 20:01

I am watching these days:

1- Big
2- I do, I do
3- Sungkyunkwan Scandal
4- Queen Inhyuns Man
5- Papa wa Idol
6- Risou no Musuko Perfect Son

I really like them and I Recommend it for all of you to watch it. ^^
Last edited by White Reflection on Jul 9th, '12, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

william240

Post by william240 » Jul 9th, '12, 01:28

Silverman wrote:
william240 wrote:Any recommendations for period/future change dramas. Like Queen In Hyun's man. or Dr.Jin?
Do you mean time-travel dramas, where someone from the future/our present travels into the joseon or the other way around?
If yes, then here are a few other:
Rooftop Prince- a few months old drama. Quite fun and lovable actors.
Thousand Years of Love - it's a bit older(2003) and it's a little bit like Rooftop Prince, but here we don't have the sidekicks and it's a princess, not a prince. And the ending here is more "realistic" and without big holes, than in RTP.

Here are similar chinese and japanese dramas:
Palace: The Locked Heart Jade (C-drama)-
well, here i have to say, that this drama has a split personality. On one hand it's a time-travel drama, where a girl travels back in time to the Qing-Dynasty (i think it was Qing) and like any other drama, she behaves like a 21st century girl and knows the modern world a.s.o. But in between the episodes, this drama mutates in a typical Qing-drama, where, if you didn't watch the previous episodes wouldn't know, that this is a time travel drama.

Myth
It's the drama-version of Jackie Chan's Movie...surprise...Myth. Jackie is also the producer of this drama and i think he has a cameo in it. I haven't watched this one, because i couldn't find a subbed version, but it's definitely on my to watch list.
Jin 1+2 (Jdrama)
i haven't watched Time Slip Dr. Jin yet. But what i know from the synopsis, i think that TSDJ a remake of this japanese drama is. So you'll know if you would like it or not, since the story is similar.

As for other light romcoms, lokk at the last 5 pages of this thread, this question was answered like 5 times, just in these 5 pages.

Ah yes, I've watched rooftop prince, i loved it. I'm wondering if those JDramas are good. For some reason, Japanese is a little bit weird to me, or the ones I've watched before. I'm also thinking of "I need romance" any objections?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 12th, '12, 21:50

Has anyone here watched "older" dramas. With older, i have dramas in mind, which were made before 2004, I have watched just 2 or 3 2003 and 1 or 2 2002 dramas. I'm pretty sure, that there were also a few good dramas before Full House & other (I'm naming FH because it's one of the most famous 2004 dramas here). So does anybody know subed older dramas? Preferably romcoms, but other genres are also welcome.

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jul 13th, '12, 08:41

I like also "Rooftop Prince"

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 13th, '12, 21:10

@ White Reflection: I always wanted to ask you. Who is it in your avatarpicture?

After watching and dropping 3 episodes of "Glowing She", where they say every 5 minutes, that the 31 year old female lead (well in rl is she 27 or 28 i think) is, well, old, i want to watch a drama with "mature" characters, where the maintheme is not "OMG the (female) character is 30, so she should have grandchildren at that age". I'm not talking about 30something men, but women. Because in kdramaworld(i don't know how it is in rl in Korea) is woman-age=man-age minus 6(or 8 ). So basically a man at the age of 30 is still young and has basically the "worth" of a 22-24 y old woman.
Ok i know a few of these dramas:
-Basically all Kim Sun Ah-dramas is the age not the issue
-I need Romance(i just sampled a few episodes, so i don't know if i it's a big issue the, but i guess not)
-The Greatest Love
-Can't Lose (this kind is more or less, what i'm looking for)
-Bad Couple
-Star's Lover
-Wild Romance
-Protect the Boss

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Jul 15th, '12, 08:47

@Silverman did you watch oh! my lady? its an 2010 kdrama.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 15th, '12, 14:55

Yes and it's one of my favorites. The problem is, that the age-issue is also all over the place. I have more american-like dramas in mind, where the characters are mature on the one hand and on the other hand the age isn't the mainissue.
I have such dramas like City Hall, Bad Houswife oder Bad Couple in mind. Yes, they mention here and there also, that they are not 18 anymore, but it's not like in this famous movie(damn forgot the name), where people over 25 have to be killed. And i'm sick of "OMG she is a 31 year old woman and she has a 29 year old boyfriend...this cradlesnatcher".

shosef

Post by shosef » Jul 15th, '12, 15:09

i like the drama IRIS...don't know why i'm into spy stuff..hahaha

@silverman's question...i think white reflection's avatar if i'm not mistaken is Hebe from S.H.E.

insanity540

Recommendations for 'Introduction to K-Drama' ??

Post by insanity540 » Jul 28th, '12, 07:48

Hi,

I'm interested in starting to watch some K-Drama but don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend some good 'starter shows' or the 'best show' to watch?

I'm an Australian guy trying to learn Korean and I've heard that watching K-Drama is a great way to help learn :)

Thanks.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 28th, '12, 08:25

Well, you know, depends on what you like.

Coffee Prince
Chuno (sageuk drama, 24 eps)
Giant (epic drama, 60 eps)
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
The Slingshot (aka A man's Story)
Secret Garden (some like it, some hate it)
City Hall
Dalja's Spring
Vampire Prosecutor
The Vineyard Man
Goodbye Solo
Sungkyunkwan Scandal (sageuk, 20 eps)
The Princess' Man (sageuk 24 eps)
Ojakgyo Brothers (family drama, 58 eps)

Just read the synopsis on dramawiki and decide. What one likes you may hate for life.
Anyway, welcome to Kdramaland^^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 1st, '12, 18:26

I haven't watched a drama in a very, very long time. I was very busy because of my job.

Anyhow, I now want something to watch. Probably something that has aired this year. Anything will do. As long as it's good/addictive. And I kinda would like it to be non-period drama.

creepinmaster

Post by creepinmaster » Aug 2nd, '12, 16:27

Is there any drama out there like History of the salaryman? I've returned to watching dramas after a break and this one was absolutely stunning. I tried out few recent kdramas and it looks like it's gonna be really difficult to top Salaryman...
Need a nice mixture of romance/witty humor/ some action|mystery also a happy ending is a must. Preferably no body-swapping or magical ponies. Can someone help me out?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 2nd, '12, 21:15

I'm not even sure, if there are other dramas like that (Mystery/romance/witty humor). At least i don't know any. The dramas which are at least somewhat that direction i know are:

-Harvest Villa
-Cain and Abel: Well no really witty humor...but at least a little bit mystery/suspense and action
-Fugitive Plan B: ...it has at least almost all elements, even f the drama itself is not that good

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 18th, '12, 07:17

Well, there is really nothing quite like History of the Salaryman. I second Harvest Villa. Once upon a time in Saengchori was also very good. If you don't mind Forensic Crime type drama then God's Quiz is awesome. I just finished first season and am starting the 2nd. All of these have some humor,mystery and romance. For me it is very hard to top History of Salaryman though. It's really the best isn't it? :D

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 18th, '12, 22:21

I thought "History of the salaryman" was THE drama of the year,til "Reply1997" appeared ! And I second jubies33' recommandations

TraBuch

Post by TraBuch » Aug 19th, '12, 01:50

Just wondering, are there any KDramas out there that don't feature a douchebag male lead, annoying love triangles, and characters constantly getting caught in awkward situations that could easily be explained in a couple sentences but for some reason, they don't explain it?

Also, not really a requirement, but it'd be nice to see something where the couple gets together relatively early and the rest of the show is about the ups and downs of a relationship.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Aug 20th, '12, 03:03

TraBuch wrote:Just wondering, are there any KDramas out there that don't feature a douchebag male lead, annoying love triangles, and characters constantly getting caught in awkward situations that could easily be explained in a couple sentences but for some reason, they don't explain it?

Also, not really a requirement, but it'd be nice to see something where the couple gets together relatively early and the rest of the show is about the ups and downs of a relationship.
I loved 9 Ends 2 Outs, it's pretty old but its a goodie.
In History of a Salaryman, the main guy is just the most loveable character... but the girl starts off douchey.
Thank You is a good one! Been a while since I've watched it, but I remember the guy wasn't a prick...most of the time.
Smile You is a family drama, but the main couple gets together pretty early in the series.

I don't think that you can avoid the love triangle thing, but I remember that these dramas don't have that as their major plot line. Stupid misunderstandings get to me too... hopefully you'll like my recommendations!

TraBuch

Post by TraBuch » Aug 21st, '12, 04:54

Checked out the first episodes of 9 End 2 Outs (Really enjoyed it) and Smile You (Also enjoyed it, but 45 episodes is a pretty massive undertaking when it comes to Korean shows). Will check out Thank You and History of a Salaryman next. Thanks for the suggestions.

If anyone else has some, it'd be really appreciated.

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Aug 22nd, '12, 17:27

TraBuch wrote:Just wondering, are there any KDramas out there that don't feature a douchebag male lead, annoying love triangles, and characters constantly getting caught in awkward situations that could easily be explained in a couple sentences but for some reason, they don't explain it?

Hey there.

Not a lot of peoples favorite but you might want to check out "Pasta".

One risk I foresee is the male lead depending on what you mean by douchebag (I did not get any douche vibe from him but he was very loud) but other than that, it has all the points you ask for.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 22nd, '12, 20:00

City hall, Wild romance ,Queen in hyun's man , Prosecutor princess , Thank you ?
Hope I could help ! :salut:

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 27th, '12, 12:37

I want to start a new drama but I don't know what to begin with. I've been watching a bunch of really sad dramas recently, so I'm more in the mood for something funny. I'm a little bit sick of romance and melodrama (the kind that you get 3/4 of the way into most K-dramas: love-triangles, misunderstandings, evil characters with no purpose other than evil, etc...) as well as poor acting. I would also love something a little bit more mature: no adults behaving like teenagers (this is really important as I find this very frustrating). I'd like a drama with great acting, and with a story that stays interesting and funny all along.

I gathered a bunch of interesting recommendations over the last pages. I'm hesitating between "History of a Salarayman", "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho", "Bad Family" and "Wild Romance". Which one would you recommend me to watch first? Are there any other dramas that would better fit the description of the kind of drama that I am looking for? Thanks!

lr3t2

Post by lr3t2 » Aug 27th, '12, 13:52

@ Keikan
purely based on Quality of the Show I'd recommend watching History of a Salaryman first. It's funny (and I mean really funny, I laughed out loud multiple times while watching it), the acting is fantastic and the story is interesting.
For me it would be History of a Salaryman > Bad Family > My Girlfriend is a Gumiho > Wild Romance, both in terms of how much I enjoyed it and the general quality of these shows.

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 27th, '12, 14:04

@Keikan: If you want something completely different, History of Salaryman is your choice (of those you mentioned). It's fun, well written and has great acting. It's great drama in every aspect. Only bad side I can come up with is lack of comedy in the last part. Sadly it lost its craziness towards the end.
If you want a drama without adults acting like kids, annoying and irrational last part angst or evil characters, I can also recommend I Do I Do and Twelve Men In a Year. These two don't have any of those cliches you mentioned even though it might look like it at first.

Also, if someone is looking for something new to watch, I can recommend Reply 1997. It may seem like a teen drama with idols but it's nothing like that. It's more like a growth story, or a trip back to the main characters' youth and how they ended up to the situation they are now. The way the characters are introduced and how the plot is unfold is very interesting and makes me want to spoil myself with raws. Acting isn't bad either, considering many of them are rookies (as actors)!

klouvios

Post by klouvios » Aug 29th, '12, 14:19

My Recommendations

Attic Cat
Capital Scandal
Dae Mul
Secret Garden
The World That They Live In
The 1st shop of Coffee Prince
Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy
My name is Kim Sam Soon
A thousand kisses

These ones I have downloaded them after watching them online.

I have just finished watching Dae Mul!!!
What to watch next? I don't want historical dramas or dramas with very young actors.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Aug 31st, '12, 23:40

Just finished I Do I Do. This is a nice light romance. Where Greatest Love, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho has some touching moments, this one is pretty even start to finish.

Was also amusing to see the variety of Toyota product placed in this drama. Prius, Lexus LS460 and the Subaru BRZ/Toyota Scion FRS. 8)

konayuki92

Post by konayuki92 » Sep 2nd, '12, 04:17

Hi! ^^
I'm looking for recommendations.

So far the ones I've liked are:
Coffee prince
The world that they live in
9 end 2 outs
Secret garden

I did not like:
You're beautiful
Vineyard man
Will it snow on christmas
Heartstrings
Take care of the young lady (or something like that)

That's all I can think of right now. Any recommendations? ^_^
Thanks in advance~ :3

Balki23

Post by Balki23 » Sep 10th, '12, 22:46

Hey I'm new to kdrama, but I'm a big fan of korean cinema and after watching dozens of movies I decided to watch City Hunter after I found it on Cheon Ho-Jin's (one of my favorite actors) filmography and because it sounded very interesting.

I like the more "crazy" korean cinema (I Saw The Devil, Old Boy, The Chaser,...) and the underworld/crime stuff (A Dirty Carnival, Ajussi,...) and I really liked City Hunter even enjoyed the romance plot.

What are some similiar series ? Heavy focus on plot and some action (tho I can live without it too), it should be a bit more series/dark and have it's fair share of Drama, nothing too lighthearted.

Thanks in advance.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 14th, '12, 16:52

IRIS, Athena, Story of a Man, Fight, The Chaser (no subs though).

FYI: korean cinema and korean drama are two different planets in two different galaxies. Don't expect anything similar. It's TV after-all and TV has restrictions there.

justhysterical

Post by justhysterical » Sep 15th, '12, 17:19

I'm not a serious drama-watcher and have only seen things that others have shown me. Can someone recommend a few dramas that are anything but fluffy romcoms? I'm getting kind of sick of mushy stuff like Lie to Me and Personal Taste in which Mr. Perfect runs into Ms. Damsel in Distress, hilarity and/or sap on a daily basis ensues. Not saying that romance is bad, just a fan of something a little more substantial.

Other things I've watched:
-Baker King (fantastic)
-Cinderella's Sister (also fantastic)
-Temptation of an Angel (held my interest for a while, but then stopped going anywhere)
-Brain (also got really boring towards the end)
-49 Days (a bit bubbly at times, but okay)

Oh, and attractive male leads are always nice. :-)
Thank you in advance!

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Sep 15th, '12, 20:16

Posiden is a crime type drama with a bit of romance. I'm at ep8 so it is still developing. Athena and Iris have been better for action type dramas.

chocopii

Post by chocopii » Sep 16th, '12, 14:45

Hello~ I decided to post here than open a new thread
I'm looking for more Kdrama that has highschool or college students as the main characters..
Doesn't have to be mainly a love/romantic one..
And also, I prefer series which are already complete and have English subs available for all episodes.
I've watched Dream High 1 and 2, Goong, Playful Kiss, Sassy Girl: Chun Hyang, Sweet 18..
Any more suggestions?
And, I can't wait for To The Beautiful You to finish

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Sep 26th, '12, 10:05

The only school dramas i can think of right now are Mackerel run , I'm Sam and a historical one Sungkyunkwan Scandal. even thought i didn really like any of them you might like it.
anyway if you want really , really funny highschool comedy movie try "See you after school" :-)

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Sep 27th, '12, 02:04

My top picks for K Drama recommendations:

Comedy - History of a Salaryman
Fantasy Romance - Rooftop Prince
Melodrama - Midas
*Down to earth Romance - Kimchi Family (or Fermented Family)
Crime Drama - Vampire Prosecutor
Historical Drama - Great Queen Seon Doek and God of War

I also recommend these as well
Iljimae
Bad Guy
The Revolt of the Gumiho
Harvest Villa
Lie to Me
I Do I Do
Slave Hunters
Deep Rooted Tree
Giant
Boys over Flowers
Crime Squad

keiichisama

Post by keiichisama » Sep 27th, '12, 10:24

I need the saddest, tear jerking and most depressing dramas you guys can suggest. My girlfriend just broke up with me and I need them nowww.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 27th, '12, 11:22

@keiichisama: I'm Sorry I Love You, Thank You,

freedomfate

Post by freedomfate » Sep 27th, '12, 11:47

die die must watch i recommend king 2 hearts normally dramas involve love triangle but this drama does not its awesome go take a look.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 3rd, '12, 19:10

I started watching K-Dramas again after a few year's pause. I have quite a collection of K-Dramas and J-Dramas, but I didn't know what to watch. So I just choose Chuno which my friends recommended and because it has Jang Hyuk. 10/10 ! I actually like historical dramas but most of them tend to be too slow paced and have almost no action. On top of that, they can be as long as 100 episodes or even more. Can you recommend a historical drama similar to Chuno?

On the other side I like good comedy/romance dramas too. So I narrowed it down too a few choices:

The Greatest Love (I like Gong Hyo Jin very much and Cha Seung Won a bit.)

The King 2 Hears

Secret Garden

Lie To Me

Tazza (Not really comedy)

Deep Rooted Tree (Jang Hyuk/Historical?) (Still waiting for subs)

All Inn (A true Classic)

Sandglass (Just Wow!)

Emperor of the Sea (Well, well...)

Which should I start watching?
:blink

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 3rd, '12, 19:59

Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote: I actually like historical dramas but most of them tend to be too slow paced and have almost no action.
You're talking about taeha, which are, by far, slower. But one exciting and fast-paced taeha that just finished is Mushin (Soldier), you may try that^^

If you like comedy/romance, you may try Wild Romance and I Do I Do. Lie To Me you can just take off your list, that went down the drain horribly, same for Deep Rooted Tree (which was a mess).
Once Upon a Time in Saengchori and Harvest Villa are recommended, Joseon X Files (nor a comedy and most def. not a romance though).

That's for start^^

Plus, I know your signature is meant to be funny, but some people really have/had cancer, and that stopped to be funny long time ago.

mugiwarrra

Post by mugiwarrra » Oct 6th, '12, 00:21

Can someone recommend a few family dramas already finished (i hate waiting for new episodes)
already watched :
tasty life
life is beautiful
family's honour
new tales of Gisaeng
dropped a thousand kisses (don't know why i didnt like it)
Thank you in advance

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 6th, '12, 09:28

mugiwarrra wrote:Can someone recommend a few family dramas already finished (i hate waiting for new episodes)
already watched :
tasty life
life is beautiful
family's honour
new tales of Gisaeng
dropped a thousand kisses (don't know why i didnt like it)
Thank you in advance
Assorted Gems, Ojakgyo Brothers, My Husband has a Family (Unexpectedly You), Pit a Pat, Loving You a Thousand Times.

mugiwarrra

Post by mugiwarrra » Oct 6th, '12, 13:28

thank you Ethlenn
i have already watched assorted gems and ojakgyo brothers (both great especially ojakgyo brothers ,assorted gems has a weird ending)
i will start my husband has a family right now
thank you again.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 7th, '12, 08:12

Can anyone recommend me something relatively similar to Nice Guy? I mean the revenge plot and everything.

But recommend me as many as possible, because, probably, I've seen most of them already.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 11th, '12, 17:52

Did anybody like You've Fallen For me" ? The main Actress was cute in "You're Beautiful". How was this Drama? The Ratings were very low.

Edit: I just finished watching "The Greatest Love". It was very funny and sweet, although the last two episodes dragged a bit. What should I now watch? If I watch a similar Romantic Comedy I might get bored. Most of these Drama's plots are almost the same. What would you recommend?

NoSkill

Post by NoSkill » Oct 17th, '12, 16:39

Hey :D

I really need some recommendations concerning k-dramas!

I have to admit normally I'm a japan fanboy so I only watch j-dramas and so on but the last couple of month/years the j-dramas were plain boring or bad...

So I decided to switch to k-dramas!

I only watched two so far... "Big" and "My Girlfriend is Gumiho"

I liked both but I think Big was better. So if you could recommend me something like "Big" I would be really appreciate it. (I'm only looking for romance with drama oder comedy)

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 17th, '12, 16:45

I still couldn't deicde what to watch after Chuno and The Greatest Love. I just don't have time anymore to watch Dramas. But maybe...

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Oct 18th, '12, 10:07

NoSkill: I did the same thing as you. I got bored of recent J-dramas and switched to K-dramas a year ago haha! There's plenty of good K-dramas. Dramas like "Personal Taste", "City Hall", "You're Beautiful" and "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" are very funny. I really enjoyed those four. For the whole "soul-switching" thing like in the drama "Big", I'm currently watching "Ohlala Couple" (still airing) and it's very funny as well. Loads of people like "Secret Garden", but I personally don't recommend it (I really didn't like it). For more emotional stuff, I would have to recommend anything written by Lee Kyung Hee. I'm currently watching her new drama called "Nice Guy" (still airing as well) and I have to say it's already become one of my favorite dramas ever. "I'm Sorry I Love You" is also very well-written. Unlike J-dramas, loads of K-dramas are based on the same kinds of patterns (love-triangles, filthy rich male lead, terribly poor main girl, an filthy rich evil heiress, the family being against the two leads' union, blablabla...) so you often feel like you're watching the same drama over and over again. Sometimes finding a good drama can seem like finding a needle in a haystack, but there are some jewels out there. :)

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 19th, '12, 15:50

No Skill:

I was and still am a huge fan of j-dramas. I started watching k-dramas probably about 2 years ago and pre-dominately watch kdramas now, with a few jdramas to spice it up.

Depends on what you'd really like to watch. If you want something with a bit of everything:
King 2 hearts. Not a lot of people recommend it - the first 4 episodes are more 'romantic comedy' - once you get past those..there's a whole lot of everything. Love, Fear of failure, pain, and a little bit of the crazy psycho villian. Overall, Lee Seungi did a very good job playing the prince.
"Secret Garden" - I loved this drama. The switch doesn't take place till episode 5 or 6 I believe, but it's hilarious how much they personify the other character! There are some moments i bawled in this drama, and moments I laughed hysterically. I actually recommend this one first as Ha Ji won plays in this as well as king 2 hearts.
Can Love become Money? - Same lead as VP 1/2. I enjoyed seeing him in a rom/com. It's typical woman trying to change a rich man set in his ways - she's his secretary. It' was a very under the radar drama, and I haven't seen many people recommend it - however it's available on a few sites and dramafever.com.

Vampire Prosecutor 1 & 2- Probably my all time favorite right now - which is funny cause it's not a romcom. It's more of a horror/crime drama. I would compare it to something like CSI or NCIS here in america - but with a vampire as the main char. These vampires ARE a little different then we are used to, but hey, they aren't sparkly, that's for damn sure. There's also a little bit of comedy in this between the cast mates. Some of my favorite scenes have been the opening scenes in season 2 on episode 5 and 6.

I'm sorry I love you - It was good, if you want a melodrama 'this story is bigger then you' type of drama. I watched it not realizing what I was getting into - I hated it because of that. Had I watched it knowing it was a melodrama I would've been much more prepared for this type of drama. (You know, cause some romcoms start horribly in the beginning and start to cheer up). So watch this drama at your own discretion.

Other dramas you may like but aren't my top picks:
Prosecutor Princess (I thought the story was cute and well thought out, it's about a rich girl who is smart, and I appreciated that).
My princess (Modern girl who becomes a princess).
SungkyunKwan Scandal (Very cute, characters worked very well together, if you like Hana yori dango meets hana kimi, you'd probably like this drama. It was the first historical I watched.)
Lie to me (The first part is really cute, they changed writers 11 or 12 episodes in and screwed it up imo).
Arang and The Magistrate - Just now finishing up - as long as the last episode isn't screwed up it's gonna be in my top 10.
City Hunter - Want more action and twists? Try this one.

Goong (I watched it cause I liked the Manwha, it was pretty good but long in my opinion, but for some people is considered must watch for korean drama).
1st shop of the coffee Prince - Older one, same lead as Big (so you may wanna watch it just for him) - I really liked it, it's about a girl who dresses as a boy to support her family. Although I don't think that was intentional initially, people always just assumed she was a boy.

Thats it for now, feel free to PM me to discuss or as questions about kdrama :D
Last edited by Lludara on Oct 19th, '12, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Oct 19th, '12, 15:58

Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote:I still couldn't deicde what to watch after Chuno and The Greatest Love. I just don't have time anymore to watch Dramas. But maybe...
If you want something COMPLETELY different: Vampire Prosecutor 1.

The King 2 hearts (it's modern day but if korea had a monarchy..)

Sungkyunkwan Scandal

I would recommend those 2 for you personally.

I watched You've fallen for me - it was okay, not stellar or anything. It kept me entertained, but if you only have a short time to watch dramas, i'd recommend those 2 above first. Like I can literally spend 20-30 hours a week watching drama if i wanted to. So yeah, i only watched it cause of the main leads and I wanted a musical type drama.

SweetLitz

Post by SweetLitz » Nov 1st, '12, 03:44

Hi, I started to watch dramas a few weeks ago. I already watched 4 and my absolute favorite so far is Coffee Prince.
I really need a sugestion of a drama to watch next...
I'm looking for something that is romantic... it could be dramatic or funny, I like both
:D

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Nov 1st, '12, 08:59

Did anybody watch "For the Sake of My Son" How was it? I generally don't watch mini Dramas but if it's good, I can make an exception.

rorein

Post by rorein » Nov 8th, '12, 16:33

I asked for some recommendations before the server went down in case someone has deja vu.

Could anyone recommend me some good KDramas. I like action and comedy (not necessarily at the one time) but not so keen on the romance side of things even though I did love Secret Garden and I'm currently watching Rooftop Prince which I'm enjoying so far. I don't mind historic if they don't need me to know the history. I'm happy to watch most things but I do draw the line at vampires and werewolves though lol. Forgot I've also seen Fight & Air City.

NoSkill

Post by NoSkill » Nov 9th, '12, 21:48

Thank you Lludara and Keikan for the recommendations.

I'm currently watching "Secret Garden" and "Nice Guy". Great series!

@Keikan I can't understand why you don't recommend "Secret Garden"... I love it... :D

I also tried to watch "Ohlala Couple" but I didn't like it at all... I didn't like the setting and I didn't like the male lead charakter.... what an ass xD

So... I know you recommended some other series (and I will give them a try) but I wanted to ask if there is something similiar to "Secret Garden"?
I really love that show and I will finish it probably tomorrow and I need a replacement xD

absolutwild

Post by absolutwild » Nov 15th, '12, 07:15

the moon that embraces the sun is very good
may queen is nice too
bridal mask - not a fan of jap occupation show
ghost 2012/phantom - not bad
nice guy - quite nice

dropped watching
the chaser (too heavy and sad)
the king 2 heart

now searching for the next show to watch...

kiritani-chan

Post by kiritani-chan » Nov 17th, '12, 22:35

i'm new to kdramas and i really want to give it a try. but i don't know where to start, i need some recommendations. i watched various jdramas, and i'd like to get some kdramas in the style of ouran high school host club, shokojo seira, majisuka gakuen, rookies and IS.
anny good recommendations? :roll
Last edited by kiritani-chan on Nov 23rd, '12, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

Serienjunkie

Post by Serienjunkie » Nov 23rd, '12, 12:29

Hey,

i need a recommendation too.
Maybe someone has a good advice for me.

I'm searching for a good korean weekend family drama - warmhearted, funny and romantic.

In the range of 25-60 episodes. I liked Ojakgyo brothers and Hooray for love very much. English subtitles should be available.

absolutwild

Post by absolutwild » Nov 24th, '12, 06:28

for family dramas... i recommend:
Life is beautiful
The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House
Family's Honor
Famous Princesses
Serienjunkie wrote:Hey,

i need a recommendation too.
Maybe someone has a good advice for me.

I'm searching for a good korean weekend family drama - warmhearted, funny and romantic.

In the range of 25-60 episodes. I liked Ojakgyo brothers and Hooray for love very much. English subtitles should be available.

Serienjunkie

Post by Serienjunkie » Nov 27th, '12, 14:19

absolutwild wrote:for family dramas... i recommend:
Life is beautiful
The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House
Family's Honor
Famous Princesses
Thanks for your advice. :-)
I will try Family´s Honor und The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House.

dawnstar12

Post by dawnstar12 » Dec 17th, '12, 13:44

Hi , recently picked up watching dramas. Need suggestions for Action / Romance / Revenge dramas.
Watched and liked : Chuno , Bridal mask , Nice guy , Iris , Time between dog and wolf. Would like suggestion for dramas along these themes and good story line too

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Dec 17th, '12, 16:59

dawnstar12 wrote:Hi , recently picked up watching dramas. Need suggestions for Action / Romance / Revenge dramas.
Watched and liked : Chuno , Bridal mask , Nice guy , Iris , Time between dog and wolf. Would like suggestion for dramas along these themes and good story line too
I think you should try

Soul/Hon- one of my absolute favorites of all time

Flowers for my life- not exactly sure how I'd categorize it but it has a romance at its core and kinda sorta melo but I think that depends on how you view life and death

Thank You- again like Flowers not sure how I'd categorize this and again how you view the show and whether it's melo or not depends on you

Secret Garden- Ha Ji Won is one of the best actresses in Korea Hyun Bin's awesome as well

on the Ha Ji won note

King2Hearts
Damo
What Happened in Bali

oh also

Vampire prosecutor 1 and 2

can't forget

Shut Up Flower Boy Band
and
Remember Me 1997

Padam Padam

I'd recommend you try

King of Dramas
School 2013

but they're both airing right now so you might want to wait until they finish

wingli

Post by wingli » Dec 19th, '12, 23:29

so here is my updated list :

must watch : full house, my girl, secret garden and you are beautiful

full house and my girl are the early classic, similar kdrama come a lot after, the first are the best but if you have already watched a lot of the later dramas, you might not have the fresh sensation, but still the best... I started with them and really got addicted

Secret garden exceptional

You are beautiful, cute and funny story with good-looking people, easy to get hoocked

kuroioni_akari

Post by kuroioni_akari » Dec 28th, '12, 23:08

Hey guys!^^
Lookking for a romance drama

My favourite dramas:
- Kimi wa Pet - not because of the master - pet relationship, but because the plot was just good, nicely performed and I enjoyed the dynamic between the leads
- Kkotboda Namja (Boys Before Flowers)
- Nodame Cantabile
- Secret Garden

What I want:
- there must be a developing relationship between characters (evolving further than first kiss etc),
- the actors must be good i.e. no artificial looking acting, good and plausible dynamics between the leads;
- a strong/intelligent female lead (like Kimi wa Pet), had enough of stupid/crybaby girl falls in love with the most popular boy in school.

Things I don't like in dramas:
- it gets on my nerves when main characters are all grown ups and the only development during the whole series is them kissing (Skip Beat! which otherwise was good and I enjoyed it, but not as a romance:/ )
- I don't want the fairytale style of plot (where they realize their feelings throughout the whole series, then there is that one kiss (or rather 'peck') and that's it! They lived happily ever after. Bleh)
- plot twists or developments/obstacles depending on some stupid coincidences/misconceptions.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help me! m ( _ _ ) m
Cheers!

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Dec 28th, '12, 23:23

If you don't mind a drama targeted for an older 40'ish generation, A Gentleman's Dignity.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Jan 2nd, '13, 06:32

Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find "Childless Comfort" English subbed?

skytear

Post by skytear » Jan 12th, '13, 19:38

hi guys :3 can you recommend me some good kdrama/action preferably between 2011-now but not limited to it, off the top of my head best kdramas ive seen are Iris, Time Between Dog and Wolf, Iljimae, Chuno,City Hunter,Swallow the Sun. Any similarity between those series im sure i will like,can be either modern or periodic types. thanks ya'll