Official Website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/quartet2017/

Broadcast: TBS, Tuesdays 10pm

Main Cast
Matsu Takako
Mitsushima Hikari
Takahashi Issei
Matsuda Ryuhei

Scriptwriter
Sakamoto Yuji (Saikou no Rikon, Sore demo Ikite yuku, Mother)

Best winter drama for me, so far! :cheers: Feel like this is Saikou no Rikon's "sister drama" LOL. The main four characters and the loooong conversation scenes. Awesome!! I love that this one has a mix of mystery suspense and comedy. Loving all the cast. This is definitely a great TV comeback for Matsu Takako! And shoot, I never realized Takahashi Issei is that hot :wub:

I love all the characters, but I feel like they're just modifications/reincarnations of Saikou no Rikon's characters? LOL

Mitsuo -> Iemori (Takahashi) -> mendokusai, pointing at every little detail
Yuka -> Suzume (Mitsushima) -> carefree, happy-go-lucky
Ryo -> Beppu (Matsuda) -> quiet
Akari -> Maki (Matsu) -> looking soft and gentle in the outside, but hiding dark personality inside

Even so, I still love them. Especially Iemori and Suzume, running around the house like 10 year-olds haha!

And the ending song video, kakkoii~!! :wub: A Shiina Ringo song with Matsu Takako's voice... i'm deaaadd. Will they promote the song in Music Station, I wonder? *hopeful* So Matsu, Mitsushima, Takahashi sings... but I never heard that Matsuda can sing? Though I cannot hear his voice in the song at all, lol

Btw, there are many Japanese audience who criticized their strings performance looked terribly faked and far below Nodame Cantabile's cast performance. Any musician here can confirm? Was their quartet performance really that bad in this drama? I mean, it looked totally fake? I thought they had training with real violinists.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: [Discussion] Quartet

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 20th, '17, 13:59

Hmm, best drama. Not sure about that, I prefer Rakuen over Quartet, but I've only watched one episode of each drama so far so things can change. Kept thinking of Last Friends. Four people under one roof. Things are bound to happen... :P Haven't watched Nodame, so I can't compare the two of them.

豚に真珠

Re: [Discussion] Quartet (TBS, 2017)

Post by 豚に真珠 » Jan 22nd, '17, 17:50

yanie wrote:
Btw, there are many Japanese audience who criticized their strings performance looked terribly faked and far below Nodame Cantabile's cast performance. Any musician here can confirm? Was their quartet performance really that bad in this drama? I mean, it looked totally fake? I thought they had training with real violinists.
I was talking to a Japanese friend from Osaka yesterday, who is a professional violist. She said it was dreadful.. as a player she was constantly put off by the fact that what their hands were doing was totally unrelated to the sound coming from the screen. (Plus, in her words, the story was "バカバカしい"). I know they had some sessions with real players, but, frankly, it is not something you can just pick up in a few weeks.

As for the drama itself, much as I admire and respect Sakamoto Yuji, his efforts at more 'light-hearted' dramas (Mosaic, Mondai no aru Restaurant, etc.) are usually uncomfortably cliched and borderline unwatchable.
-

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Mar 5th, '17, 05:11

So far I like this drama a lot! I don't get around to watching many dramas but I gave this one a try because: 1. The cast. 2. The Shiina Ringo song XD and 3. The writer. Actually the opposite of the poster above me, Mondai no aru Restaurant was one of my favorite recent dramas so I was hoping this would be similar to that as opposed to his more serious stuff that I haven't even been able to get through. Although it has taken a strange turn in the most recent episodes, I thought they would just keep going with the dead or not dead husband plot line through the whole show but I guess not.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Apr 20th, '17, 00:49

豚に真珠 wrote:
yanie wrote:
I was talking to a Japanese friend from Osaka yesterday, who is a professional violist. She said it was dreadful.. as a player she was constantly put off by the fact that what their hands were doing was totally unrelated to the sound coming from the screen. (Plus, in her words, the story was "バカバカしい"). I know they had some sessions with real players, but, frankly, it is not something you can just pick up in a few weeks.
I agree about the playing, it was very distracting once you notice the music didn't match their movements. And it didn't really get better for the rest of the drama. Once you know they're faking it (and this was pretty much off the bat), then it just takes away that credibility.

I liked the drama on the whole, and I think the actors made the script work, but it's not what I would call a masterpiece.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Apr 30th, '17, 01:33

Can't find the final episode. Need to see what happens next. The glasses guy's character seems much more likeable than in Eigyo Bucho Kira Natsuko.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 30th, '17, 10:34

JackBauer2424 wrote:Can't find the final episode. Need to see what happens next. The glasses guy's character seems much more likeable than in Eigyo Bucho Kira Natsuko.
480p at Jdramacity and 720p at Nyaa and EngSubs by izzyoza

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Apr 30th, '17, 15:06

Yeah I enjoyed this drama because of the cast but overall it ended up feeling kind of mixed up and awkward. I kind of wish they had either stuck with one story throughout (Maki's husband missing) or just made it more episodic or something, the way it was it was somewhere in between.

Iank

Post by Iank » Jul 10th, '17, 11:07

It's one of my favourite dramas of the past few years. :notworthy:

Most of the dramas are filled with characters that are entirely boring, inconsequential, one-dimensional, and predictable. At least these characters spoke with each other. At least I believed that they were friends.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jul 14th, '17, 11:58

I would watch this again. I liked when they played the Dragon Quest Overture. Can't get enough of Matsu Takako!

bertiwooster

Post by bertiwooster » Jul 15th, '17, 21:35

I really enjoyed this dorama! Great ensemble in more way than one, and kept me guessing throughout. :O

chibi-drama

Post by chibi-drama » Jul 31st, '17, 02:33

I enjoyed it too. Although I can see that it is not everyone's cup of tea.
So.. those of you who did like it, what are you watching/enjoying from the spring season? Can seem to hit on anything that grabs me.

Saburo

Post by Saburo » Mar 26th, '19, 03:04

So I still can't wrap my head around what happened in the final episode...
When about half the people in the concert hall just up and walked out in the middle of the show. Not like they were angry and protesting against the scandal-rich performers. Was it just a big symbolic gesture of forgiveness, throwing away the tabloid magazines, etc. If so, I mean... they coulda stayed in their seats until the end of the concert yanno.
Anywell... Still a very good drama overall. Matsu Takako has barely aged!

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Apr 24th, '19, 20:38

Episodes 2 and 3 don't play properly on PS3. It's no audio and like a bit fast forwarded.

EDIT: Leaving this tidbit here to help others with the same problem. Re-editing the mp4 but using AAC FDK for Audio seems to allow PS3 console to play both audio and video normally without a big increase in filesize. The re-processing time isn't very long at all.

stoisebobo

Post by stoisebobo » Apr 6th, '20, 01:11

Aplogies for bumping an old thread
I've just started watching this - it's great! One of the best dramas I've seen in a while, it has a really cozy atmosphere but also a fun and unusual plot

A shame to hear about the actors not miming their instruments very well, but it hasn't taken me out of it