[Discussion] Date

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Date

Post by yanie » Feb 16th, '15, 10:39

This drama deserves a thread :lol

From the director of Nodame Cantabile & the scriptwriter of Legal High, comes a love story of a man and a woman with zero skill and knowledge of romance. The man only cares about philosophies, movies, manga, anime & the woman only cares about Math and numbers.

Story
Yabushita Yoriko works for the Cabinet Office’s Economic Research Institute after researching the application of macroeconomic mathematical models at Tokyo University’s Graduate School of Mathematical Scientific Research. She is an ultra-rationalist who does things at her own pace and lacks flexibility. She likes an efficient and systematic lifestyle. The train she boards, seat she sits in, path she walks, clothes she wears and menu she eats are determined by the day of the week. Because of these quirks, it is difficult for Yoriko to interact with people and she does not get on well with those around her. However, her life has been going as planned since her student days. She graduated from Tokyo University’s graduate school, became a national civil servant and even has tens of millions in savings. Yoriko’s next task is marriage and childbirth, but her appointed time limit will soon be here. As she approaches 30, she is encouraged by her father, Toshio, to go on arranged dates. Although Yoriko has not dated before, she promises to do so after considering that her late mother, Sayoko, got married and gave birth when she was 29, and that she will be able to contribute to addressing the country’s falling birth rate if she has a child. Believing that marriage is no more than a contract with an ideal partner, Yoriko thinks that she should first find a partner and if that person likes her, the deal is done. However, her arranged dates all end in failure … … Taniguchi Takumi is a self-professed “high class idler” who will never personally acknowledge it, but is socially called a NEET. He lives with his mother, Rumi, who runs art classes at home. He would wake up in the early afternoon, read the newspapers as he has his meal and then start on a novel while sitting on the sofa with an affected pose. Without employment, Takumi relies on his parent for everything. However, he takes pride in his own lifestyle of indulging in the world of literature and the arts all that he wants instead of having to work. He is cheerful, mild and intellectually smart. While Takumi gives himself the airs of a high-class idler, he feels that with his lack of economic clout, he is not qualified to seriously date a female let alone marry. His concerned childhood friend, Shimada Sotaro, brings materials from a dating agency. Takumi protests vehemently that he has high ideals, and yet he feels insecure. Because of Rumi’s tendency to fall sick in addition to her old age, he has to face the reality that if she passes away, he will not be able to continue with his current lifestyle. That is when Takumi thinks of marriage to a woman whom he can sponge on in place of his mother! On the other hand, Yoriko, has given up on marriage, but decides to register at a dating agency when she learns that her father feels responsible. She reports that she has decided to go on a date with a man whom she has fallen with at first sight. This person is Takumi who pretends to be working for a publishing company … …

source: https://jdramas.wordpress.com/2015/01/2 ... o-kashira/

Anne X HaseHiro (Suzuki Sensei, Kaseifu no Mita) X Kosawa Ryuta (Legal High) X Takeuchi Hideki (Nodame Cantabile) is an awesome combination!
I have watched up to Episode 4 and I really enjoy every episode. I've been repeating each episode over and over. They're hillarious!

The flash mob... lol, that was the worst and most embarrassing flash mob ever, I can't stop laughing at it.

Hasegawa Hiroki is awesome. I really love his acting, and the way he recites all the philosophy quotes, LOL, excellent. But I loving Yoriko's character more and more too.

Koutou yuumin (high class idler) is predicted gonna win the buzz word award this year XD

antspace

Re: [Discussion] Date ~koi to wa donna mono kashira~

Post by antspace » Feb 16th, '15, 18:21

By the way, written by Kosawa Ryota, writer of Gonzo, Densetsu no Keiji, Suzuki Sensei and Legal High!
The dialogue in Date (only saw the first ep though) reminds me of Suzuki Sensei, which is one of my very favorite series! :-)

hey9

Post by hey9 » Feb 17th, '15, 05:01

The last time I was really interested (or remember) watching a jdrama rom-com was Sengyou Shufu Tantei and that was maybe the worst ending I've ever seen in a jdrama, really scared me off of rom-coms. But I'm hoping I have better luck with this. I recently watched Suzuki-sensei, and while I didn't like it that much, it was an unconventional take on school dramas. I'm hoping this drama will do that for rom-coms.

Ep 1:
Thought it was really funny. I've never seen Anne in anything and always assumed she was a serious actress but she's really funny here, especially her duckface. I love the OP song too. Usually with these stories where "don't get emotions involved" it's a sexual thing, but here their relationship is so incredibly sterile of any affection or attraction and they're freely admitting it. So odd lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 17th, '15, 05:46

Episode 5 last night *ROFL* Oh my... I dunno what to say, it has been a long time since I laughed myself to tears! :lol Probably since Nodame.

Hasegawa Hiroki and Anne work together perfectly, it's really not easy to keep such a speedy conversation in rhythmic two-ways dialogues, and both can do it with right-on-the-spot facial expressions, unbelievable!
HaseHiro is really perfect as a good-for-nothing man lol. I can't believe this was the same guy who played the genius unlicensed doctor in Kumo no Kaidan and the romantic, suave successful businessman in Second Virgin :lol Moreover, he's gonna be Commander of Survey Corps in Attack on Titan opens in summer... i can't imagine him playing the part now lol. But he's such a versatile actor, I should have nothing to worry about.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Feb 26th, '15, 06:19

Ugh I had a reply and I forgot to save the draft. Anyways...

Ep 3:
- Sotaro is gross.
- Nakajima Yuto is really pretty lol. It would be good if he didn't overpluck his eyebrows.
- On paper, Takumi seems like an obvious guy to despise. Even when you see him, he's this pretentious creep. But I'm still rooting for him and Yoriko to get together, despite Washio seeming to be better in all aspects. I think Takumi's speech in the second episode won me over.
- I thought Yoriko's mom was this cute imaginary friend for her, but she's actually incredibly mean. And the sad thing is she's the only one Yoriko can really "talk" to. Both her and Takumi aren't just quirky, they're damaged.
- Maybe because I don't watch rom-coms often, this series is refreshing to watch for me. I anticipate the subs and watch it right away.
Ratings so far:
(01) 14.8% – (02) 13.6% – (03) 11.0% – (04) 12.4% – (05) 11.1%

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 1st, '15, 03:44

@hey9 - I don't think that the Mom is necessarily mean. She's actually a manifestation of the voice inside Yoriko's head, chiding herself. And since she probably lost her Mom at an early age and has held her in such high regard, her "conversations" with her mother is also a representation of the impossibly high standards that she has set for herself. Notice how she waves and dismisses her away during moments of self-doubt? It's because to her, failure is not an option.

Just finished watching episode 4. What an awkward way for Takumi to meet Yoriko's dad, huh. I was laughing so hard at the way he said, "I am your Santa Claus". I wonder what's the real story behind him choosing to be an educated idler. I hope we get to hear his version of things.

I really like how this drama backed up his argument in the earlier eps by mentioning how society has dictated gender roles. Why is it unacceptable for him to get married for the purpose of having someone support him financially when women have done it for ages? What's so wrong about having him assuming domestic responsibilities at home? When you think about it, it's a sound argument. Plus considering how much he was insulted at the thought of getting a sugar mommy in the previous episode, means that he doesn't intend to leech off his partner completely.

Anyway, this is one of two shows that I watch weekly. I hope we all get a satisfactory ending.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 1st, '15, 08:23

zooey wrote:Just finished watching episode 4. What an awkward way for Takumi to meet Yoriko's dad, huh.
I laughed so hard at this scene.

yeah, Takumi's speech in the end of Ep2 won me over too, haha. The whole drama won me over by the flash mob scene at the end of Ep2 actually :lol
But I wonder if his speech is just an excuse, he was talking about how being at-home-dad is a respectable job, but I never saw him doing any house chores helping his mom, at home lol. Takumi is really saitei :lol But I still love him, anyway. :P Lol, HaseHiro is amazing, he can make the role lovable.

I can't wait for Ep7!

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 1st, '15, 21:05

yanie wrote:But I wonder if his speech is just an excuse, he was talking about how being at-home-dad is a respectable job, but I never saw him doing any house chores helping his mom, at home lol.
Hahaha. True, in all likelihood, it was just part of his spiel but I think he's slowly realizing that he has to earn his keep somehow. He's been able to live that way because his mom tolerated it. I don't think someone like Yoriko would let him get away with it though (regardless of her own desperation to get hitched), which makes me wonder how this whole thing will end. Anyway, I'm having a blast watching these two socially-awkward people try to interact.

This is perhaps the only show that made me notice Anne since it does not play up her "beauty" for a change. I swear there were times in the last few years that I thought nepotism was in play given the number of projects that she was getting. :glare:
Last edited by zooey on Mar 2nd, '15, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 2nd, '15, 03:27

zooey wrote:This is perhaps the only show that made me notice Ann since it does not play up her "beauty" for a change. I swear there were times in the last few years that I thought nepotism was in play given the number of projects that she was getting. :glare:
ITA. I didn't like Anne's type of beauty, I never watch her dramas, cause I don't like her face, she looks arrogant to me. Only in the last 1-2 years I found out her true personality is friendly and nice. But yeah, this drama made me finally notice her too.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 2nd, '15, 05:18

yanie wrote:ITA. I didn't like Anne's type of beauty, I never watch her dramas, cause I don't like her face, she looks arrogant to me.
I know, right? Couldn't wrap my head around the idea of her being a "classic beauty". I've seen her in some dramas but she was far from being a favorite. I could understand why she was a model given her height, built and features but her looks have never worked to her advantage until this particular role.

Also not to be outdone is Hasegawa Hiroki's transformation. He's killing it. This is a totally different character from the ones he played before. :lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 2nd, '15, 06:07

zooey wrote:but her looks have never worked to her advantage until this particular role.
THIS. exactly! haha she was born to play this role. And i can finally like her face, that is when her poker face turn to a fake smile in an instant, haha I find her fake smile so pretty lol (Episode 3).
zooey wrote:Also not to be outdone is Hasegawa Hiroki's transformation. He's killing it. This is a totally different character from the ones he played before. :lol
I'm a fan of HaseHiro's acting skill since Kaseifu no Mita. Actually Takumi is not much different than his "dame otousan" role in Mita. Also in Suzuki-sensei, he already played 2 different personalities there, the cool and smart side and his pervert side. What I'm surprised with, was when I watched Second Virgin and Kumo no Kaidan, he played totally handsome, suave, cool, romantic roles there. I'm watching Kumo no Kaidan and Date back to back, and I can't believe the roles are played by the same guy lol. In Kumo, his role speak so slow while Date's Takumi speaks like a bullet haha. Another different role he played was in MOZU, he played this insane villain, that kinda remind me of Batman's Joker sometimes, love it. He played another insane movie-making maniac in Sono Shion's movie.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 6th, '15, 01:11

yanie wrote:I'm a fan of HaseHiro's acting skill since Kaseifu no Mita. Actually Takumi is not much different than his "dame otousan" role in Mita. Also in Suzuki-sensei, he already played 2 different personalities there, the cool and smart side and his pervert side. What I'm surprised with, was when I watched Second Virgin and Kumo no Kaidan, he played totally handsome, suave, cool, romantic roles there. I'm watching Kumo no Kaidan and Date back to back, and I can't believe the roles are played by the same guy lol. In Kumo, his role speak so slow while Date's Takumi speaks like a bullet haha. Another different role he played was in MOZU, he played this insane villain, that kinda remind me of Batman's Joker sometimes, love it. He played another insane movie-making maniac in Sono Shion's movie.
I've only seen him in a couple of roles--- as the slick and suave stock analyst in Second Virgin, the spaz-absentee dad in Kaseifu Mita and the high school teacher who couldn't help but have lewd thoughts (surrounded by jail bait!) in Suzuki Sensei. I like how distinctive the characters are, regardless of any perceived similarities. I think I skipped Kumo no Kaidan because I had my fill of medical dramas at the time it came out and for some reason, MOZU is still stewing in an external hard drive. Hopefully, I'll get around to watching MOZU soon. :-)

The english subs just came out and I found episode 5 an absolute hoot. Yoriko might be one weird bird but there's no denying that she's efficient and thoughtful.
I mean, how many girls would go out of their way to buy a robe and a toothbrush for their man in anticipation of an overnight stay? And the need to cosplay in order to get Takumi's engine revving? Priceless. It's so in keeping with his character.

I also love how the mom gets to throw in some jabs at her son once in a while. LOL when she said making a costume for her 35-yr old son isn't nearly as embarrassing as having a 35-yr old son who's a doutei on top of being a hikikimori and a NEET. :lol
I'm still on the fence about how effective it would be to introduce a love rival(s?) in the mix. I know that Washio likes Yoriko and that Kaori's pretty protective of Takumi but the main pair's definitely too odd and oblivious of their surroundings to even consider other options. Then again, I've only seen till episode 5... at least both Nakajima Yuto and Kuninaka Ryoko have been able to make these supporting characters likeable.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 6th, '15, 03:02

Episode 5 made me laugh so hard :lol but the ending was odd.
To be honest, I'm a bit wary of Washio and Kaori's existence too. But so far(Ep7), their roles has been girigiri safe for me. If anything, I think the purpose of their characters is just to make the two leads realize they're meant for each other.

I really love Episode 7 :wub: In a certain moving moment, I was about to be in tears, and suddenly they made me laugh! lol, this drama is such a rollercoaster, dammit, I feel cheated :lol
Takumi's speech once again moved me. The fact that Takumi (unintentionally) teaches Yoriko about people's feelings, moves me.
imho, at the end of Episode 7 both Takumi and Yoriko had a choice. They found out Takumi's mother illness can be cured, so actually having ripped apart the marriage form, Takumi had a choice to keep living with his mother and not to get married at all. While Yoriko had a chance to start a relationship with Washio who has confessed his feelings for her. However, Takumi decided to put together the marriage form again with sellotape and brought it over to Yoriko's place and Yoriko made a choice to marry Takumi rather than starting a relationship with Washio. I think they actually want to marry each other from the bottom of their hearts, not because of theories anymore. Love feelings for each other has grown slowly but they just haven't realize it yet.
I also love to see that Yoriko is getting more and more expressive compared to her in the early episode who mostly put on poker face. That shows changes of heart and mind ever since she met Takumi. That's both amazing script and acting.
On a side note, I was surprised myself that I love KumoKaidan so much, cause usually medical dramas bores me. But maybe the fact he's an unlicensed doctor always gives the thrill in every emergency surgery scene and also how Hasegawa Hiroki's character was a mild, quiet, kind man turning to an ambitious, greedy, a bit insane, villain-like character in the middle of the story, got me interested.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 8th, '15, 15:41

Nice article :roll
http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article? ... iagong-ent

It talks about how DATE~koi to wa donna mono kashira~ is the present trendy drama. That love story of man and woman with lousy personalities might be the pattern of getsuku trendy dramas from now on. DATE might look like expressing cynical remarks to the legendary trendy dramas in the 1990s like Tokyo Love Story, Long Vacation, etc, but it's actually not. Cliche moments and scenes in the 90s trendy dramas has become jokes in comedy skits and parody shows. You can say "What looks cool in the past, looks lousy now." On the contrary, "What looks lousy in the past, looks cool now." And that's what has DATE shown, so far. The character, Taniguchi Takumi played by Hasegawa Hiroki, started off as such a lousy character but he slowly start looking cool as a man.

I agree with this article. DATE is a love story that suits the present era :lol

On a side note, I'm surprised the word "koutou yuumin" (high class idler) is mentioned in a variety show. The word might become Buzz Word of the year, after all :P

There are still 3 eps left and I'm already hoping for a sequel. I can't have enough of Takumi & Yoriko XD

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » Mar 9th, '15, 05:32

This drama is such a pleasant surprise. Usually I steer clear of this genre because often the execution is so poor and the overacting so frequent that it makes for an unfunny and unintelligent show. But this is comedy done right. The writing doesn't just slap us with these two characters and beg us to feel for them; it slowly builds up all the tension and then gives you a peak at the hearts of two multi-layered, albeit flawed, people.

I was hoping that the writer would have stuck with the idea of them going into marriage for purely practical reasons: it would be interesting what conclusions they would reach. It looks like love is going to be introduced to their relationship though. Out of the two, I have to say Yoriko is my favorite. She operates on a level entirely different from us mere human beings lol. Who would ask their parents point-blank about their first kiss and first time having sex? And what she wrote on the wooden plaque during their hatsumode together is just pure crack.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 10th, '15, 05:37

Just watched Ep8. I'm really in love with this drama :wub: It makes me laugh and cry, it's really heart-warming too. I really love the parents' characters. In the beginning, I thought the mother appearing as a ghost was cheesy, but as soon as I learned that she actually exist in Yoriko's imagination (not a ghost), I think it's brilliant XD

Episode 8:
And apparently she exist in Yoriko's father's head too haha, didn't see that coming! The mother in father's head has a bit different character than the one in Yoriko's head lol.
I really love Yoriko and Takumi's last scene. This is just my own interpretation, but seems to me, they're already in love with each other but they're not aware of it. The fact that Takumi let her go, shows that he prioritized her happiness. The way he gave her his handkerchief by pressing it to her cheek which is wet with tears :wub: They seem to know each other so well now.
And I really love how Yoriko can hang out in Takumi's room since Ep7 and Takumi doesn't mind her being there at all. I mean, even his mother is rarely allowed in his room which he called his "holy ground." And yet, he don't even mind Yoriko re-arranging his books and DVDs alphabetically, but later he re-arranged it back the way he like it, like it's no big deal, haha... I find that interesting. I want to see more trivial moments like this. They're talking about something else, but it's always interesting paying attention to their small facial expressions or what they were doing while talking.
I don't think I even mind if Yoriko and Takumi doesn't end up together romantically but then end up as best friends, lol.
I really love Yoriko's cute upset expressions whenever Takumi upsets her that shown since Ep6, lol... weird, but cute. It does look like "upset with her boyfriend" kind of expression.
yuizaki_libra wrote:I was hoping that the writer would have stuck with the idea of them going into marriage for purely practical reasons: it would be interesting what conclusions they would reach. It looks like love is going to be introduced to their relationship though.
I don't mind either way... romantically involved or not... I'm pretty sure Kosawa the writer, thought of a satisfying ending for them both, for all the characters. What I want is a change or development in characters, and I'm already getting that, so no matter what will happen to them, I don't think I'll mind. However if there's no love involved till the end, then this drama's genre won't be a romantic comedy :D
However I'm still expecting unexpected turn of events for the ending. We've been getting that since Ep5... we thought the ending gonna go this way, but turned the other way, lol. And then we are shown what actually happened few hours before or few days before, I'm loving that so far. Kosawa Ryuta has mentioned that he wanted the story's developments to cheat the audience, haha I really felt that watching Ep7. So I'm ready to be cheated for the ending. I'm ready for an ending that goes "huh??" and then we'll be shown flashbacks of how it happened.

One question for evryone: Would you like to see Takumi decide to work at the end? Or stay unemployed/koutou yuumin?

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 10th, '15, 07:27

yuizaki_libra wrote:This drama is such a pleasant surprise. Usually I steer clear of this genre because often the execution is so poor and the overacting so frequent that it makes for an unfunny and unintelligent show. But this is comedy done right. The writing doesn't just slap us with these two characters and beg us to feel for them; it slowly builds up all the tension and then gives you a peak at the hearts of two multi-layered, albeit flawed, people.
I personally love how they're both outsiders in their own right. One is out there doing her best, mingling with people even though [as you said,] "she's operating at a different level" while the other has more insight into the human condition but chooses to isolate himself. Will all this end up with them in a romantic relationship? Like yanie, I don't mind either way. It's funny enough to see how they found each other and have somewhat gotten used to (if not fond of) each other. The best romcoms are the ones that provide character development as seen through subtle changes in behavior and so far, I like how the two characters have pushed each other out of their comfort zones.

Who am I kidding? Of course, these two are meant to be together. Haven't seen a good romcom in a while so might as well throw this poor dog a bone. Besides, I would rather have them together as an odd couple doing their own thing than to see them act "normal" with other people.
yanie wrote:One question for evryone: Would you like to see Takumi decide to work at the end? Or stay unemployed/koutou yuumin?

My cop out answer would be that I would like Takumi to find a job that he loves so that he'll never work a day in his life. Haha! But seriously, I hope the writer finds a reasonable compromise so that he gets to live out his dream as an educated/high class idler. But then again, this show has been so unpredictable I wouldn't really know what to expect from each episode. :nuts:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 11th, '15, 14:06

Picture from Ep9 or 10, I think.
LOL! I love their faces!

Not sure whose wedding this is... hm? Sotaro? Takumi's mom and dad get married again? lol, I have no idea.

But if this is toward the end, then I can assume Takumi and Yoriko will not get married in the end... maybe they break up or maybe they decide to take it slow until Takumi get a steady job. Simply cause I don't see two wedding scenes in one drama (when its not about wedding planner, of course, lol)
zooey, I agree with you. It'll be best if Takumi can find a job that he'd enjoy doing. Kaori said he draws/paints much better than she is, so I'm still wondering about that...

Spoiler up to Episode 8 and how I think Takumi's employed or unemployed is the key to the ending.
In Ep8, Takumi said, "I don't deserve a chocolate from you. I can only love two-dimensional women, after all." But I don't think that's the reason. Takumi is unemployed. If they get married, Takumi takes more advantage from Yoriko, rather than Yoriko from him. (Actually I still don't understand why Yoriko would marry him, from practical reason point of view.) So even if Takumi is already in love with Yoriko, he doesn't deserve the rights to confess his feelings to her. Maybe he realized this already. Takumi letting her go, suggesting to cancel their engagement, is Takumi's way in expressing his love for her. He think she won't be happy if she's together with an unemployed man like him. Not sure if he has realized his own feeling for Yoriko, though. But if he hasn't and he realize this later, then maybe that's the turning point for Takumi, he has to make a decision whether he'd stay a koutou yuumin forever or if he want to be together with Yoriko and be romantically involved with her, then he has to make a decision to find a job in order to be equal with her. Episode 8 showed a turning point for Yoriko who finally admitted that she want romance. I wonder if we get to see Takumi's big turning point in the next episode?
Also, how kind of Yoriko to tell Kaori that they called off the engagement (and maybe asked her to go to Takumi's place?). It shows that Yoriko care about Takumi and she wants him to be happy too. It's really nice to see these selfless love they have for each other. Or they simply haven't realize their own feelings? lol.
To sum it up... really, Kosawa Ryuta need to win another award for writing this drama.
(I believe he received awards too for Suzuki sensei and Legal High, though? :D)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 11th, '15, 14:29

Insert songs in the drama.

Opening Song: Furimukanai de by The Peanuts (1962)

Episode 2: Daisuki by Hirosue Ryoko (1997)

(lol, I just realized there's Hirosue Ryoko poster in Sotaro's room, so he's a fan! I thought he's a rocker? :lol)

Episode 4: Koibito ga Santa Claus by Matsutoya Yumi (1980)

I'm loving the use of these old songs :D

Ratings so far. Kanto region.
Ep1 14.8%
Ep2 13.6%
Ep3 11.0%
Ep4 12.4%
Ep5 11.1%
Ep6 11.6%
Ep7 10.4%
Ep8 13.9%

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 11th, '15, 15:39

[quote="yanie"]Picture from Ep9 or 10, I think.
LOL! I love their faces!

Not sure whose wedding this is... hm? Sotaro? Takumi's mom and dad get married again? lol, I have no idea.

But if this is toward the end, then I can assume Takumi and Yoriko will not get married in the end... maybe they break up or maybe they decide to take it slow until Takumi get a steady job. Simply cause I don't see two wedding scenes in one drama (when its not about wedding planner, of course, lol)
Oooh interesting. Could there be a time jump? Looks like someone caught the bouquet. I'm done guessing. I really have no idea where this series is going.

And you're right, I also found the ending of ep 5 a bit off, glad to see that the matter will at least be addressed in the coming episodes. I always wondered what they were going to do about Washio and Kaori.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Mar 13th, '15, 08:13

:tv:

I watched this drama until epi 6 and still curious at least about two things :unsure:
1. Who is Sotaro' wife? She never appear on screen. Sotaro looked so lonely haha :lol
(maybe the director have secret boom to show that in last episode)
2. The countdown toward Yuriko's birthday, what'll gonna happen that time?
I like most of the characters in the drama, but Washio.... dunno, the popular-look seems less interesting, thought maybe the character like otaku-liked maybe more suited to be Takumi's rival (someone like Hamasaki in Saikou no rikon LOL).

dmohican14
United States of America

Post by dmohican14 » Mar 13th, '15, 23:08

yanie wrote:One question for evryone: Would you like to see Takumi decide to work at the end? Or stay unemployed/koutou yuumin?
I'm hoping Takumi does find a job, just so he can get a new outfit to wear. :P But seriously, he's come a long way since meeting Yoriko, since he couldn't even look people in the eye back then, let alone be around them for more than ten minutes. Even if he doesn't end up with Yoriko in the end, I think he'll at least be ready to step back into society.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 14th, '15, 01:58

ailahai wrote:I watched this drama until epi 6 and still curious at least about two things :unsure:
1. Who is Sotaro' wife? She never appear on screen. Sotaro looked so lonely haha :lol
(maybe the director have secret boom to show that in last episode)
2. The countdown toward Yuriko's birthday, what'll gonna happen that time?
Answers.
1. That will be answered on Ep8.
2. I'm thinking because Yoriko's target is to get married before she turns 30. So they're counting down how many days left they have before Yoriko run out of her time. March 23 is actually the airdate of the final episode. But I dunno, it might have another purpose in the end.
ailahai wrote:I like most of the characters in the drama, but Washio.... dunno, the popular-look seems less interesting, thought maybe the character like otaku-liked maybe more suited to be Takumi's rival (someone like Hamasaki in Saikou no rikon LOL).
haha... you might be right, I also prefer all of the characters quirky and odd. I prefer that manga girl from Ep3 to be Yoriko's rival, but at least Kaori is a yankee, she's still interesting to see. However Washio serve the purpose as the neutralizer for Takumi and Yoriko's odd way of thinking and conversation in the first 2 episodes, made them a three-way speedy conversation like a manzai trio, so I guess it's necessary to make him an ikemen character who respect love.

Funny you'd mention Saikou no Rikon, I kept thinking Takumi-Yoriko reminds me of Mitsuo-Yuka of SaikouRikon a bit, lol. Mitsuo is Yoriko's counterpart and Yuka is Takumi's.

andre2907

Post by andre2907 » Mar 14th, '15, 17:48

I am soo into this drama it's not even funny. So well-developed; touching and funny. Thank you very much for subbing it yanie :).

And it's hilarious for me how much they use Ryoko Hirosue's song for some reason.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Mar 15th, '15, 00:32

I think about countdown toward her incoming birthday, it'll be settle by maths/calculation... Yuriko is hardcore in loving number so maybe when she's already at the day, the willing to get married also disappear... I think :D. Just like she found that she is not capable to against her mom in maths :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 15th, '15, 23:12

andre2907 wrote:I am soo into this drama it's not even funny. So well-developed; touching and funny. Thank you very much for subbing it yanie :).
subie06 is subbing it, not me :-)

Tran

Post by Tran » Mar 16th, '15, 03:38

I'm another fan of this drama, like some of you I never watched Anne's dramas. But this one makes me change my mind. I'll watch her work from now on ward.

I'm grateful Susie subbing this drama and while waiting I watch the raw. I feel a bit sad seeing how they break up. Now reading Yaanie's posts, I understand more and feel better.

I find the cooking scene with the snake Taro is so hilarious, most memorable scene for me so far. And Anne look so beautiful in the kimono.

andre2907

Post by andre2907 » Mar 16th, '15, 22:04

yanie wrote:
andre2907 wrote:I am soo into this drama it's not even funny. So well-developed; touching and funny. Thank you very much for subbing it yanie :).
subie06 is subbing it, not me :-)
Oopsy. Thanks subie06. By the way, the subtitles are particularly well done in my opinion which is very commendable, especially in such a dialog-heavy show

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: [Discussion] Date

Post by yanie » Mar 17th, '15, 02:36

Episode 9 :lol
Takumi-Yoriko broke up but then they kept calling each other to talk about their respective dates with their respective partners (washio/yoriko, kaori/takumi). All their phone conversations were soooo funny. And then Yoriko's father checked her phone surprised to see all the calls history with Takumi, instead of Washio. But then when they all ganged up on them both telling them they actually love each other. They confessed how much they had fun, respectively, dating Washio and Kaori, and they finally realized they're in love: Yoriko with Washio, Takumi with Kaori. At the end of the episode, Yoriko's mother said to Yoriko "You think that's really love?"
I don't know anymore what to expect from the ending XD Well, I have a prediction, but I'm always wrong, so far. So, I give up this time :P
The most unpredictable drama I ever seen, lol.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 17th, '15, 05:14

@ yanie - Thanks for the heads up. From the sound of it, anything can happen by this series' end. I think I'll just sit back and wait for your next episode update. Lol.

I kinda want it to go a certain way (being a T :heart: Y shipper) but I've just about given up trying to guess which direction the show is going. As long as it stays funny, I will hold no grudges. :whistling:

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » Mar 19th, '15, 05:13

Yoriko-Takumi is making it to my top list of favorite couples, only after Yuka-Mitsuo. Except, if they also end up like Yuka-Mitsuo, I will be very broken-hearted lol.

Apart from that, ep 9 was truly entertaining:
I laughed so much at their phone exchanges - which just go to show that these two are now basically inseparable. As much as I like Kaori, I don't buy the whole Kaori/Washio plot device and there's no way the writer is going to slap us with such an ending where Takumi and Yoriko both marry their respective partners. I find the "love" confessions at the skating ring, albeit very sweet, a bit forced. I wonder if the writer is setting us up for another one of those scenes where Yoriko and Takumi realize their true passions for each other and dismiss their purported affection for Washio and Kaori as something else. From the little sneak preview, it looks as though Yoriko will end up with Takumi, as in the final frame she is talking to this man wearing the all-too-familiar clothes that are Takumi's.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 19th, '15, 08:10

yuizaki_libra,
But they always showed something we wish to happen in the preview but it ended up not happening, eg. the almost-kiss scene in Ep5 preview :unsure: I decided not to trust the preview XD
But well, there's another cross talk between Anne x Hasehiro on the official site. Anne said, "We will get to see Takumi and Yoriko changed and not changed, by the end. So I'm satisfied,"

I have never been this scared in expecting the ending of drama, lol. But at least Anne's hints made me feel relieved a bit :lol

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 23rd, '15, 05:50

Ep. 9:
Omg I thought that was the final episode lol. Most unclimactic ending ever XD

I wish they had just added an extra episode. There was too much going on. I agree with yuizaki, the love confessions felt tacked on. Part of the problem is the Yoriko/Washio and Takumi/Kaori pairings have no chemistry.

And then randomly asking Takumi what made him a NEET - like, really, that's the kinda thing you wanna bring up at a wedding? It was a really weird way to resolve the Takumi/dad situation and it felt like they just randomly added it into the episode.

Yoriko seemed so OOC, yelling and not being monotone. It was weird. I get that she's in love, but it's like she was playing a completely different character.

Now I'm really nervous for the (actual) finale.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 23rd, '15, 06:10

Thanks to a double release, I finally caught up.

Episode 8 despite being sad, had lots of sweet, touching moments. Call me crazy but I think it's because Yoriko and Takumi were so vocal about their dismissal of love and romance that's why that box of chocolates never exchanged hands.

As for episode 9, the phone conversations between the two were hilarious and effective at depicting how well they knew each other. The motto, "don't think, feel" was apt. The manner in which Yoriko and Takumi reached their respective conclusions after being befuddled about dating Washio and Kaori was definitely cute but the clinical way in which they approached "falling in love" as a pet project made the whole thing feel contrived, almost too convenient. I must, however, admit that being totally clueless about such things was in keeping with their character. My only problem is that I couldn't really tell if they really succeeded in falling in love or were just simply too tired and exasperated from exerting so much effort into making a normal relationship work. For some reason, I'm still not sold on the Washio-Kaori angle because they strike me more as experimental variables than endgame, but you know, I could be wrong.

Now I wait with bated breath.... I hope this ends well.
Totally unrelated but --- Orouboros and Marumaru Tsuma were a bit of a downer. The jdrama gods owe me a good ending given a series of disappointments like Last Cinderella, Shitsuren Chocolatier and Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu. My fault for rooting for the wrong guy/gal and/or watching lousy dramas. :cussing:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 23rd, '15, 09:39

hey9,
ITA! Kaori suddenly asking Takumi why he became NEET totally came out of nowhere :blink Disappointed with Kosawa-sensei. But it was the only noticeable flaw I remember from the script, so far^^
Episode Title for FINALE and a bit synopsis.
「こんな愛の告白、あり得ない…!?運命の恋が巻き起こす誕生日の奇跡」
"Such an unlikely love confession! A birthday's miracle caused by the fated love"

Takumi and Yoriko coincidentally met on the street and they ride on a bus together. An old lady mistook them as a couple, and they both told her they're not and they have great romance with other people respectively, now. The old lady gave them an apple telling them, "Love can be terrifying," and left.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Mar 24th, '15, 01:11

Deeto's NG, they really worked hard for this looong conversation script's drama.

actually after watching this, i feel like to watch Hasegawa Hiroki and Maki Yoko pairing in the future

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 24th, '15, 03:09

Their characters weren't a pair, but Hasegawa have worked together with Maki in MOZU, as foes, I believe. Hasegawa's role is the eccentric villain there.

I have watched Finale ep. But I will save my comment for later. Don't want to spoil it for evryone^^

Tran

Post by Tran » Mar 24th, '15, 03:33

I thought I came in to check for your final spoiler. Guess I have to wait for one more day.

My guess from the preview it will be a happy ending. Washio or Kaori don't match them.

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » Mar 24th, '15, 07:51

What a satisfying ending for our two leads!! The little episode they had with each other on the train was absolutely adorable. Who would have known Takumi is that person Yoriko is fated to love lol. I love the two kid actors so much - I wish they had had more scenes together as T&Y it would have been so cute.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Mar 24th, '15, 10:03

yuizaki_libra wrote:
What a satisfying ending for our two leads!! The little episode they had with each other on the train was absolutely adorable. Who would have known Takumi is that person Yoriko is fated to love lol. I love the two kid actors so much - I wish they had had more scenes together as T&Y it would have been so cute.
On behalf of all those who come to this thread for spoilers, thank you. We can breathe easy now. :lol

hey9

Post by hey9 » Mar 28th, '15, 18:34

One thing I noticed is that the family members actually look like each other. Yoriko looks like her dad, Takumi looks like his dad (watch the final scene, I was kinda shocked how much he looked like his dad). Even the child actors look like their adult versions. They did such a good job with the casting.

Ep. 10:
I loooooved the apple eating. Such a lovely symbolic way to show their love for each other. And I loved their unintended confession to each other. That kiss was so damn awkward though (can jdramas just ban kissing altogether? you're not doing it right). Shoulda just went with the apple-eating and hand-holding.

I also like how they hinted at the Kaori/Washio pairing - I figured that was how they were gonna go with it, but usually rom-coms just cram it in there with no logic other than they were both rejected by the leads. Kaori/Washio actually seems plausible.

Yoriko's notebooks lmao poor Washio. I love her frog broaches too, what a great idea.

I wish there was a little bit more drama in the ending, but overall I was very happy with the finale.
I hope Date was successful enough in ratings that we'll see more rom-coms like this in the future.

I kinda want an SP, but it might ruin it.

Tran

Post by Tran » Mar 30th, '15, 12:30

I don't know what to feel. Kindda happy and disappointed at the same time. I think I don't understand deep enough to understand their love or the confession. The apple scene, what is the meaning? But I can feel the tension. Disappointed the kiss, I thought they should have a double kiss there makes it less awkward. And I want something more for the last scene, feel like something missing.

Forgive me Im not familiar with spoiler tag.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Mar 31st, '15, 00:10

after watched the finale, the drama still cannot Saikou no Rikon :D Saikou no Rikon, saikou :wub:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 20th, '15, 04:12

DATE won big in Za Terebi Drama Academy Awards! :cheers:

84th Drama Academy Award
Best Drama: Date -koi to wa donna mono kashira-
Best Lead Actor: Kusanagi Tsuyoshi
Best Lead Actress: Anne
Best Supporting Actor: Hasegawa Hiroki

Best Supporting Actress: Takahata Mitsuki
Best Themesong: Sakura by Arashi
Best Script: Kosawa Ryuta
Best Directing: Takeuchi Hideki, Ishikawa Junichi

I was worried since last NHK asadora Massan is a tough competitor but they won votes from TV journalists and juries, anyway, beating Massan :thumright:

source: http://thetv.jp/feature/dramaacademy/archives/

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Aug 30th, '15, 01:15

Yoriko & Takumi, the odd couple is back for an autumn SP!

DATE 2015 Summer SP - Hitou (secret hotspring) will air on Monday, September 28th! Don't miss it!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Sep 29th, '15, 05:47

I was very worried the SP would ruin it for me. But if anything, this SP completed the whole story even more! I LOVE THE SP! The stable scene was just.... THE BEST! This drama is definitely my #1 rom-com drama for the 2010s decade. Saikou no Rikon is a very close #2 for me. They need to make a crossover, I'm so curious of what's gonna happen when Takumi-Yoriko meets Mitsuo-Yuka, lol.

sonsam

Post by sonsam » Oct 12th, '15, 07:41

I started watching this drama last year thanks to Watanabe Mayu mentioning about the drama on her twitter. I became hooked onto the drama ever since the first episode since it was pretty entertaining to watch. I hope a kind soul has time to sub the SP cause I got excited when I heard that Date was getting a SP episode.

Gir

Post by Gir » Oct 14th, '15, 15:24

sonsam wrote:I hope a kind soul has time to sub the SP cause I got excited when I heard that Date was getting a SP episode.

In case you haven't already found it, the SP has been subbed: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161312

Daemon

Post by Daemon » Jan 7th, '16, 10:23

What's SP about? I mean it's a small movie or can be thought as EP11? Thanks

kipzizz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kipzizz » Jan 10th, '16, 17:29

Daemon wrote:What's SP about? I mean it's a small movie or can be thought as EP11? Thanks
It's kind of an extension that (usually) popular dramas get, and I guess you can see it as another extra big episode.

The SP was hilarious by the way, LUSCIOUS is the new word loool

ladyofshalott

Post by ladyofshalott » Feb 11th, '16, 23:23

I 'd love a second SP. And a Sheldon-Amy consumation.