[Discussion] Nobunaga Concerto

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kangxy67

[Discussion] Nobunaga Concerto

Post by kangxy67 » Oct 19th, '14, 15:49

From Dramawiki:

Saburo, (Oguri Shun) is a high school student good in sports, but not very good with his studies. One day, Saburo travels back in time and arrives in the Sengoku period of 1549. There, Saburo meets Nobunaga Oda who looks and sounds just like him. Nobunaga Oda is the son of a warlord and magistrate of the lower Owari Province. Nobunaga Oda though is physically weak and he asks Saburo to take his place. Then, Saburo as Nobunaga Oda attempts to unify the country of Japan.

Cast:
Oguri Shun as Oda Nobunaga
Shibasaki Kou as Ki Cho, Oda Nobunaga's wife
Mukai Osamu as Ikeda Tsuneoki
Kaho as Yuki
Yamada Takayuki as Denjiro
Fujigaya Taisuke as Maeda Inuchiyo
Fujiki Naoto as Takenaka Hanbee
Takashima Masahiro as Shibata Katsuie
Hamada Gaku as Tokugawa Ieyasu

Was a little surprised that a discussion wasnt created already. How's everyone finding it so far?

A little tidbit, there was an anime last season with the exact same title, and (not sure if it was a coincidence or not) Oguri Shun was the narrator for the anime series. Did anyone else watch the anime too? I watched it after knowing that there was a drama series coming out.

Differences that I remember between the anime and drama:
In the anime, Saburo was first in the classroom, instead of the ancient set/place in the drama.
Instead of not realising that he left the book in the grass, Saburo kept the book and kept referring to it throughout in the anime (he first lost his bag but found it later). I sure hope Saburo realises soon and go pick the book back in the drama! Can I also mention that when I saw 100% batt on Saburo's phone, I was a little relieved and kinda hoped that he had an external battery in his bag? :lol
Instead of starting off on a bad note with Kichou, in the anime, Saburo brought her out on dates and they had a lot of fun, were a happy couple. It was also on one of their dates that Kichou got kidnapped.
Kichou found a body spray in Saburo's bag in the drama but it was an insect repellent in the anime. I guess they were changing with the seasons.
Overall, I'm liking it so far! What are your thoughts and comments?

LanceSalmo

Post by LanceSalmo » Oct 19th, '14, 16:21

I like it a lot so far. The first episode had a lot of action and the story was entertaining. All the actors did a fantastic job. :)

kokoroai
Mexico

Post by kokoroai » Oct 19th, '14, 18:46

I just want to said that I love the anime version. This first episode was good and I want to see the next one. But I don't gonna lie, I've miss the boldness and charisma of Nobunaga animated and the sweetness and fineness of Kichō. Shun is a god actor but I hope with the next episode change my perspective of this character, same to the actress that interprets Kichō.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 20th, '14, 08:51

LOVED IT ALOT and I didn't expect it at all :lol When I read the synopsis... Time slip to the ancient era again? Aw, c'mon. JIN, Bakumatsu Koukousei movie, Nobunaga no Chef, how many times are they gonna do this? O_o JIN was okay, but Nobunaga no Chef Ep1 bored me to death. I don't think I wanna see another time slip story again. But... the cast... Oguri, Mukai, Shibasaki, Yamada... they're like the best choices from their generation, the story sounds lame but I gotta see it jus for the cast. Unexpectedly, I become addicted to it! Sugoi~!

I say, great script, great directing, AWESOME MUSIC, and superb acting from all the cast, so far.

Apparently, people who have read the manga and watched the anime are disappointed with the drama. On the other hand, those who has not read/watch the manga/anime seem satisfied with Episode 1. I'm so glad I didn't read/watch the manga/anime before watching Ep1 of the drama :mrgreen:

Now I have read Vol.1 of the manga and watched the anime. On the contrary, I feel that it doesn't make sense the manga/anime-Saburo blends in with the Sengoku people right away. For me, I understand the drama-Saburo more. Of course, the manga/anime Saburo is lovable in his own way too, but it's a manga. For drama, I think how Oguri portrayed Saburo is much better rather than follow the manga/anime Saburo that I think, doesn't fit for a live-action.

I also love Shibasaki's Kichou. The manga Kichou is quite lovable too, though totally different with the drama-Kicho. I hated the anime Kicho, the anime made her sound so much like obasan and so boring, the anime character doesn't have the youth, the pureness that the manga Kicho has.

I think the anime was worth to watch for Miyano Mamoru only, Saburo's voice actor. (I had always been a fan since Ouran Highschool Host Club) The other factors in the anime is just blah... Story-wise, so many things shortened, felt like it's just random summary of the whole story, it lacks depth.

Decided to continue the manga now, while waiting for the drama's next episodes.

My full review of Episode 1: http://yanie02.livejournal.com/259014.html

jedmed

Awesome Episode One!

Post by jedmed » Oct 20th, '14, 13:20

I think people forgot that the manga where this drama is based was created 5 years or so ago. Thus, the comments about being "another time travel - romance series" is not true. In fact, this is the source of the inspiration for latter dramas but shown previously.

Oguri playing a highschool student will not turn you off, because it's a small part (I dunno if he'll appear later) but being Nobunaga is almost perfect for him. He's gonna rock the role!

Yuya Yagira was just phenomenal in EP1 and I'm a bit disappointed he may not appear in future episodes already. You may remember him as that young boy in Koreeda's Nobody Knows where he won Best Actor at Cannes Film Festival when he was just 14. Just him being on this drama is good enough for me. [ more of Yagira here: http://psycho-drama.com/index.php/121-t ... a-concerto

The chemistry between Shun and Kou Shibasaki is another plus factor. They are like cat and mouse, yet there is already some tension between them - bring the romance you two! :P

Yamada only appeared just a bit, but he'll definitely steal scenes here and there. It's great he and Oguri are back together - dunno where else but the Crows Zero confrontations between them is epic.

I don't think you'll enjoy the drama if you keep on comparing this to the anime or manga. The drama series will deviate or change the storyline or characters based on what the broadcaster/producer/director/scriptwriter demand. If you want to enjoy watching this fully, you have to let go of your bias towards the other versions.

Really a fantastic start for this drama! :cheers:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 20th, '14, 17:20

I LOVE EP2 :w00t: :cheers: The beginning was hilarious, I kept repeating it :lol
Nishida Toshiyuki ... I have no word... he's just a genius :notworthy: I loved him as Tokugawa Hidetada. I loved him as Saito Dousan in Oda Nobunaga 1998 AND in this drama!
The kakeai manzai (comical dialogues) between Saburo and his 4 vassals LOL XD And how they called him "tono! tono!" in rhythm, just hilarious. At some point, I think this drama is making fun of "jidaigeki" itself, haha but that's the beauty of this drama for me.
I hate to see Saburo in his sweatshirt. The only thing I hate about this drama. He wears a sweatshirt everyday and none of the Sengoku people complain about it.
I hope it's just to symbolize that he's not ready yet to live in the Sengoku era. Now that he told Kicho he decided to live his life in this(Sengoku) era, I hope he won't wear his sweatshirt anymore starting Ep3.
I love to see Saburo in the armour... kakkoiii~ :wub:

This drama makes me think. Oda Nobunaga is always portrayed in jidaigeki dramas as someone scary, violent, evil, powerful. But the history record says he was called "utsuke" (fool) by others. Also like what was told in tonight's episode.
That Nobunaga went to the battle field to help out his father-in-law though Saito Dosan's side had no chance to win at all, was a fact, according to the history, as well.
Also the fact that so many vassals so loyal to him, there must be good in him and he must care about his vassals to a certain extent.
So, I can't help to think that maybe the real Oda Nobunaga could actually be someone like "Nobunaga Concerto" 's Saburo.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 22nd, '14, 10:33

Reading the manga and...
Hmm... the author totally overlook the fact that Nobunaga has children... is it because he doesn't have kids with Kicho in history? I don't mind if they alter history and make Kicho pregnant with Saburo's child... i hope the drama won't overlook this.
According to their official twitter account, the actress who plays Ichi (Nobunaga's little sister) has start filming. But who she is, will be announced later. It was rumored before that Maeda Atsuko will play Ichi, but apparently she will just appear as a guest in Ep3. Pheww... so glad it's not Maeda.

But now I'm worried it'll be Oshima Yuko :unsure:

switchgirl

Post by switchgirl » Oct 22nd, '14, 12:26

I never watch the anime version but episode 1 was great so far
hopefully it'll be worth watch until last episode

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 22nd, '14, 13:05

yanie wrote:I LOVE EP2 :w00t: :cheers: The beginning was hilarious, I kept repeating it :lol
Nishida Toshiyuki ... I have no word... he's just a genius :notworthy: I loved him as Tokugawa Hidetada. I loved him as Saito Dousan in Oda Nobunaga 1998 AND in this drama!
The kakeai manzai (comical dialogues) between Saburo and his 4 vassals LOL XD And how they called him "tono! tono!" in rhythm, just hilarious. At some point, I think this drama is making fun of "jidaigeki" itself, haha but that's the beauty of this drama for me.
Hello yanie,
it's been a while.

I just LOVED :wub: the first two eps of this drama, too.
Was not sure how Shun would fit into this role but wow, he owns it. Same with Shibasaki, she's just perfect for the role as tsundere Kicho.

I'm kinda glad I didn't read the manga or watch the anime. Will only do so once this ended. But for a stand alone drama this is great entertainment and I can't wait to finally get some Yamada/Oguri interaction next week.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 24th, '14, 02:55

Yesss... Oguri-Yamada... me two, can't wait! But I wonder who will be the main antagonist, Denjiro/Tokichiro/Hideyoshi(Yamada) or the real Nobunaga.

Yea, better not see the manga/anime. The problem was for me, I just couldn't wait to see Saburo again after Ep1, so I couldn't hold back and end up checking the manga/anime. LOL

Mizuhara Kiko will play Ichi, Nobunaga's little sister. She will start appear in Ep4.

Yokatta :D

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 24th, '14, 03:23

unobore's dad is here, love that guy. The manzai ping pong between Shun and his vassals are hilarious.

Too bad they killed off this guy early in the series. I'd image him the platform for some gags and skits. His face is just so fun, he doesn't even have to say anything.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 24th, '14, 05:34

Spoiler for Ep1
Yeah, I was so disappointed that comedian guy dead so fast, I was hoping he'd last longer too >_<
Last edited by yanie on Oct 24th, '14, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Oct 24th, '14, 07:05

Spoilers in a cut please! I'm still waiting for the subs for ep 2. ):

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Oct 24th, '14, 17:21

I've never heard about the manga or anime, so I'm watching this without any preconception. So far, I liked the first episode. I was a little bit sceptical about an older actor playing a high school student, but as it seems, we will see him as Nobunaga most of the time. The chemistry between him and Shibasaki Kou also seems to be fine. LEt's see, if episode two will manage to hold this level. :)

coolrain

Post by coolrain » Nov 2nd, '14, 05:47

Did no one notice that the real Nobunaga declared at the end of episode 1 that his new name will be Akechi Mitsuhide? Which means there's a high chance that he'll reappear and take on the antagonist role since according to history, he will later become Nobunaga's vassal and eventually betray him at the Honno- ji incident where Nobunaga will be forced to commit suicide.

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Nov 4th, '14, 11:54

AH so that's the reason why that name ringed a bell somehow... thanks for reminding the reason!

Tokizo

Post by Tokizo » Nov 4th, '14, 19:05

Lol, although im not understand japanese, but i must watch this in raw :lol didnt expect they make this live action.

SANKYYYYYU :wub:

Thierry23

Post by Thierry23 » Nov 11th, '14, 03:45

Wow, thanks that you were discussing this series. Else I probably would have missed it.
When I saw 'timetravel' / 'timeslip' it already got my interest.
But it was even better than expected.

The fun parts between Saburo and Nobunaga's retainers, the fun interactions between the retainer, but also the more serious parts and (for me at least) unexpected twists here and there, make it quite interesting. Knowing a bit of history can help (e.g. Akechi Mitsuhide) but there are probably lots more of things (inside jokes?) that history buffs will note, but that will completely go over my head.
Still, I can't wait for the next episodes :)

coolrain

Post by coolrain » Nov 21st, '14, 18:39

Does anyone have the softsub for this drama?

sva_h4cky0

Post by sva_h4cky0 » Nov 24th, '14, 06:11

coolrain wrote:Does anyone have the softsub for this drama?
http://jdramacity.blogspot.com/2014/10/ ... certo.html

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Nov 24th, '14, 10:29

^ Thanks for that! I just started episode 1 yesterday and it was quite fun. Liking most of the actors in their roles, and can't wait to see Fujiki Naohito appear :D

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Dec 13th, '14, 23:57

I just watched the episode 9. It seems things are finally getting serious.

If anyone is curious about what the Portuguese missionary was saying at the beginning:
Here we have mirrors made in Europe (Eis aqui espelhos feitos na Europa.)
Silver cutlery and a Candlestick, both also European (Talheres de prata e um castiçal, tambem europeus)
Please, take anything you like. (Por favor, pegue o que agradaram.)
Please. (Por favor.)
Please. (Por favor.)

vincenthsu

Post by vincenthsu » Dec 17th, '14, 03:04

does anyone have the download links for this drama?

Asadora

Post by Asadora » Dec 17th, '14, 06:39

javascript:emoticon(':roll')www.nyaa.se

TimeCompression
Brazil

Post by TimeCompression » Dec 17th, '14, 14:47

It is also available legally on Crunchyroll.

kacang_nuklir

Post by kacang_nuklir » Dec 23rd, '14, 01:20

they will release a movie from this series? :blink

shkendan

Re: [Discussion] Nobunaga Concerto

Post by shkendan » Jan 4th, '15, 02:34

This drama is so interesting.The last episode shows the movie will tell the story about the 本能寺の変.Before the movie releasing, I decide to read the comics.

tekkichan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: [Discussion] Nobunaga Concerto

Post by tekkichan » Jan 29th, '15, 19:09

as a fan of taiga drama and history particulary about nobunaga, hideyoshi and ieyasu i enjoyed this drama a lot. of course there's few rolled my eyes moment but it's interesting how they modified the history. It's still follow the history .. who's dead and who's not but in the very different way. That's what make this drama :thumleft:
And for shun oguri, he did great as both nobunaga and saburo . Can't wait to watch the movie ... this december