[Discussion] Doctor X

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
heat6jones

[Discussion] Doctor X

Post by heat6jones » Mar 24th, '13, 00:25

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Doctor_X_~_Ge ... on_Michiko
Daimon Michiko (Yonekura Ryoko) is a 37-year-old surgeon and is part of a questionable ‘doctor placement service’ that has her wander from hospital to another. She holds a scrupulous compliance when it comes to her working hours, never does any unnecessary chores that don’t require a medical license, and couldn’t care less about the power struggles within the hospitals. Nobody knows how she acquired such a top-level skill that allows her to claim exorbitant sums as reward, but her private life is an even greater mystery to everyone around her. There are rumors that she once had to leave the medical world due to money problems and a medical error, but nobody knows anything for sure…

I didn't see a thread for this show so I've created one to share my opinions about it. Overall I was disappointed by the show because there's so much hype about it in the 'best dramas of 2012' thread.

The only thing I enjoyed from this show was Ryoko Yonekura's performance and the character she played. The rest was poor; I didn't like the supporting casts, the plot, the acting, the characters, the background music, the ending theme, etc. Had it not been for Yonekura's overwhelming performance I doubt I'd have even bothered finishing this drama.

What makes the show so dull is the hospital politics and how boring Michiko sensei's patients are. More of the show should've been focused on her past and on the past of her manager. Instead we're introduced to boring characters with uninteresting stories each episode.

For me this was not a memorable drama and is one of the poorer medical dramas I've seen.

wewa

Post by wewa » Mar 24th, '13, 02:38

Agree.
Although I'm a fan, this sucked.
I bailed after the 2nd ep.

My favs were
Seikei Bijin
Hikon Kazoku.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Apr 22nd, '13, 04:10

I liked it. The cast, plot, everything. Finished it in one go.

Not a fan of medical dramas but this one is entertaining. Ryoko's eyes widening during surgery was my favourite. I love how it revolves around hospital politics and medical working environment. The female characters especially are impressive strong women. Can't wait to watch the continuation with addition of
the anesthetiologist in the X team.
@wewa. Your loss.

prestoli
United States of America

Post by prestoli » Apr 22nd, '13, 05:20

I really didn't like this drama. The patient stories were OK but I thought Yonekura's character was too over the top going out of her way to offend The Establishment. A lot of it just seemed like an excuse to put her into a miniskirt.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Apr 22nd, '13, 06:16

@prestoli. There's nothing wrong if a woman wants to wear a miniskirt and still kick some arses. I like it because of that. She's not some demure typical japanese lady doctor. Sure, a female surgeon for hire like her doesn't exist in real life, but people wish they do. Pipe dream in action. Why not.

kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » May 9th, '13, 19:53

I think this show was designed for anyone who has been a Hakenshain among less competent Seishain, or at least imagines they are in such a situation. If you've been in this situation, it is very easy to sympathize with the Yonekura character, however silly and unrealistic some of the medical details of the plots. In the real world surgeons don't make up the details of operations off the top of their heads and then start cutting. Many of the medical details were quite incorrect, but somehow it is still an enjoyable drama. I've got a anesthesiologist friend who is a fan of this series, despite the abundant erroneous factual details. I think much of the appeal is simply the sympathy people feel who have lived through Hakenshain-Seishain politics. When I have talked to people in Japan about someone being an "Ippiki No Ookami," I often have heard the response that it is cool, probably a response to unexpressed resentment about dealing with less competent superiors.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 15th, '13, 14:15

Is anyone uploading and subbing Season 2 of this drama?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 17th, '13, 18:27

Just started the first couple of episodes for season 1, so far quite decent. And yes, I second the request for a kind soul out there to upload and sub season 2.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Oct 18th, '13, 07:29

http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainme ... 05764.html

Did the season 2 first episode breaking awesome rating 22.8 percent in this article??!

WiiRRed8

Can Anyone Sub Season 2?

Post by WiiRRed8 » Oct 18th, '13, 22:19

Really liked this drama. I don't care to much about how accurate the medical procedures are because most of us are not doctors anyway, unless you are in medical school.

Who cares.

Also the plot was good enough even with the bad supporting casts.

I do like the actress performance, even though it was unrealistic, but remember guys, this is fiction. So when it comes to unrealistic situations, we just have to remember that it's Entertainment. Chill.

I'm a film major, but I don't sweat the small stuff.

overall, I liked the drama as a whole because it was refreshing for a medical dramas, because most of them can be boring, even the Korean ones.

So it's refreshing to have a sassy hot sexy independent short skirt wearing doctor with good fashion since. ^_^

superdevilgundam
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by superdevilgundam » Oct 19th, '13, 03:21

loved the 1st season even with the bad acting from ryoko yonekura, it was one of the few jdramas i finished last year. i liked the show cuz it was fun to watch.

im glad that season 2 doesnt disappoint. even though the bad acting from ryoko (especially with the focus on enlarging of her eyes especially during operations) the show was still fun to watch and has still kept its charm from the 1st season. it feels larger and more outrageous. im glad that yuki uchida is returning here as well.
my only complaint is they still havent improved the cheap effects in their operations. that was one thing that was sorely lacking in the 1st season. the operation scenes cant compare to a drama like iryu.

hopefully the show keeps up the good work, and that someone picks up this drama

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Oct 21st, '13, 08:04

Oh she's bulging her eyes again? It didn't bother me much.
Off to watch the first episode subbed :)))))

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 21st, '13, 19:04

superdevilgundam wrote:loved the 1st season even with the bad acting from ryoko yonekura, it was one of the few jdramas i finished last year. i liked the show cuz it was fun to watch.
That's a contradictory: Yonekura is the lead actor of the drama... If her acting is so bad how can it be fun to watch? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

It's like saying, "I don't like ice cream, but I keep eating it because it tastes so good." :P

superdevilgundam
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by superdevilgundam » Oct 21st, '13, 21:55

bmwracer wrote:
superdevilgundam wrote:loved the 1st season even with the bad acting from ryoko yonekura, it was one of the few jdramas i finished last year. i liked the show cuz it was fun to watch.
That's a contradictory: Yonekura is the lead actor of the drama... If her acting is so bad how can it be fun to watch? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

It's like saying, "I don't like ice cream, but I keep eating it because it tastes so good." :P
heh no. its not contradictory. its more like "i dont like avocado ice cream, but i keep on eating it because its nice to eat something cold while its hot outside during summer" :P

you can like a drama for the writing and plot even if the main actor/actress is bad at acting. i didnt say doctor x is a good drama, only that it is a fun drama :P

for example a drama that was interesting but bad acting was kazoku game. i think the main was an arashi member since arashi sang the ost. but the plot was mysterious and interesting and i liked it.
an example of a good drama is mother. good acting plus plot.
an example of a great drama is kekkon dekinai otoko. amazing acting, writing, witty humor, plot.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 22nd, '13, 08:03

Is the first season good? Because this drama has been on my radar watch ever since it aired but I never got the chance to start to watch it myself. Is it worth?

OO0nMe

Post by OO0nMe » Oct 22nd, '13, 14:31

Enjoying season 2 so far. You shouldn't take this show too seriously, as it's even more over the top than Iryu regarding realism. I love Yonekura's funny role as the arrogant lone wolf, it's a bit of an exaggerated display of reality. In my country there's supposed to be a lot of medical staff working on a per operation/task basis with hefty fees.
It might sound selfish, but in life you gotta stand up for yourself. Working 24 hours or longer shifts isn't funny, even with a nice salary.

Season one is pretty good entertainment if you ask me, definitely recommended if you plan to watch S2 as it gives you some background info of Yonekura's character and former colleagues. Speaking about them, at the end of S1 Yonekura wryly made a suggestion to the female anaesthesiologist to join her and become another 'lone wolf'. In the first ep of S2 we meet her again, and indeed she has taken up the road despised by her colleagues. :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 23rd, '13, 03:15

OO0nMe wrote: I love Yonekura's funny role as the arrogant lone wolf
Same here: I love strong, intelligent, confident women. :wub:

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Oct 23rd, '13, 05:22

Its entertaining from my opinion...

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Nov 10th, '13, 11:11

Did anyone else realise that the old man who was following the surgery exec around has been changed to a younger man? Pretty curious about that change. Anyone knows why?

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Oct 9th, '14, 04:38

Code: Select all

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzczODAxOTAw.html
Doctor X season 3 teaser.

Anyone on board for this final season?

P.S.: should air today in Japan, according to jdramas wordpress blog (check the fall line-up, they seem to be spot on with the release dates)

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Oct 9th, '14, 12:50

Doctor X 3 is the most anticipated dorama this season for me! I'm really, really looking forward to it and hope, that someone will sub it!

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 9th, '14, 14:05

From here, http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map_2014
Eric Paroissien will sub it
Cant wait for it!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 10th, '14, 12:19

ep1, 21.3% viewership

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 10th, '14, 13:17

furransu wrote:ep1, 21.3% viewership
Btw, are you uploading for Doctor X3 Raw version?
It says in ur signature than you're uploading it?
thx :wub: :wub:

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 10th, '14, 13:22

I noticed that the drama is more well-received by female peers than male peers, even in Japan
As a whole, I love this than Iryu.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 10th, '14, 14:06

zenith777

Post by zenith777 » Oct 11th, '14, 19:13

You can download 480p from here :cheers:

JackBauer2424

Re: [Discussion] Doctor X

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 26th, '15, 02:20

I finished watching Doctor X 3. It felt like a final season, but was it? Anymore to come?

It had the big boss from Season 1, the big boss from Season 2, a life threatening situation with a key character, the return of various other doctors.

Daimon reminded me of Son Goku where she's the supreme Michael Jordan of surgery, then gets goofy playing ping pong or eating.

How come Ryoko Yonekura never did a series with Kimura Takuya who co-starred with many hotties like Matsu Takako, Yuko Takeuchi, Kimura Yoshino, Rie Miyazawa.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 30th, '15, 03:48

JackBauer2424 wrote:How come Ryoko Yonekura never did a series with Kimura Takuya who co-starred with many hotties like Matsu Takako, Yuko Takeuchi, Kimura Yoshino, Rie Miyazawa.
Ryoko-chan knows better. :P

Bibi

Post by Bibi » Oct 4th, '15, 01:50

I loved the series as a whole but that finale for season 3 totally blew. I was pissed. Anyone else mad about the way it ended?

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 4th, '15, 03:05

Bibi wrote:I loved the series as a whole but that finale for season 3 totally blew. I was pissed. Anyone else mad about the way it ended?
I loved the ending! <3
Idk but until now we dont really know whether Akirasan is saved or not. If Akirasan is saved, she will usually.. you know put her hand on his body like what she always do after the OP

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 10th, '16, 04:46

Tried to watch the SP, but the English subs were out of sync with furransu's raw video. :pale:

So I went in and re-timed the subs... AND corrected the grammar, spelling, and some of the dialog.

Whew. :sweat:

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Sep 10th, '16, 05:13

A lot of times, I think I wouldn't mind proofreading the subs and fixing spelling and grammar.

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Sep 12th, '16, 21:42

Did anyone contacted them to see if they agree for someone else to retime/resync/correct and post the sub here?

I've got the softsubs and tested them with DoA v2 release. Until minute 40 or so they are okay, but after they are completely out of sync. Ended grabbing the hardsub. I have zero skills in retiming/resyncing, unfortunately. The sub needs some rephrasing, too, as the translator definitely isn't an english/american.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 18th, '16, 03:57

If anyone is interested, I can put up the subs that I re-timed and corrected for furransu's raws.

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Sep 18th, '16, 09:19

bmwracer wrote:If anyone is interested, I can put up the subs that I re-timed and corrected for furransu's raws.
please do.
thank you!

ZemusDS

Post by ZemusDS » Sep 18th, '16, 14:15

That would be great 'racer. Very much interested. Thanks.

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Sep 18th, '16, 18:32

bmwracer wrote:If anyone is interested, I can put up the subs that I re-timed and corrected for furransu's raws.
If they do not work with the DoA v2 raw, i can throw in the re-timed sub for that. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to correct spelling and grammar. I've got a friend of mine to re-sync the sub and he kindly provided it in two formats: .ass and .srt. So please let me know if you need them.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 18th, '16, 18:37

OK, here it is, in .srt form: https://www.sendspace.com/file/rz1t0w

FYI: I don't know much Japanese, so some of the dialog that I revised might not match what is really being said... It's only what I think is being said, so please don't get upset. :pale:

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Sep 18th, '16, 19:12

Tested with DoA v2 raw - no dice (DoA v2 raw is using chapters, so that doesn't sit well with neither subs: original and furransu)

Here is the resync for Doctor-X ~Gekai Daimon Michiko~ Supesharu 2016 720p HDTV x264 AAC-Doa v2 , available on nyaa:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qtwsza
As mentioned before, they are only re-synced (.ass and .srt - for your choice).

dheophe

Post by dheophe » Oct 13th, '16, 09:10

humanerror wrote:Tested with DoA v2 raw - no dice (DoA v2 raw is using chapters, so that doesn't sit well with neither subs: original and furransu)

Here is the resync for Doctor-X ~Gekai Daimon Michiko~ Supesharu 2016 720p HDTV x264 AAC-Doa v2 , available on nyaa:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qtwsza
As mentioned before, they are only re-synced (.ass and .srt - for your choice).
Thanks for re-timed. But the font is broken in my PC. :blink
Attachments
daimon.png
daimon.png (397.43 KiB) Viewed 14721 times

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Oct 13th, '16, 18:07

Try the other one. I've offered two formats: ass and srt. Pretty sure that the srt displays fine. The ass, can't make it to display correctly.

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Oct 15th, '16, 23:39

Season 4 has started last Thursday
I alr watched it and it's so cool...
Thou everything seems so rushed up lol
Yonechan really looks so cool :wub:
i love her season 1 vibe (and the sp vibe) is back rather than season 3 vibe.
I love scenes of Yonechan and Pinko san together. it's funny because she mentioned kaseifu wa mita when she is with pinko san who at the time pretended as cleaning service. izumi pinko is making pun with the title as "cleaning service saw it!" rather than "the housekeeper saw it!"

humanerror

Post by humanerror » Oct 17th, '16, 17:34

Hopefully someone will pick up the fourth season. But again there are so many good wshows still not translated... :-(

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 18th, '16, 11:00

highest viewership rating so far, just like the previous seasons.

would be a pity if season 4 doesn't get subbed, when the previous seasons have all been subbed :(

xoloveryoko

Post by xoloveryoko » Oct 20th, '16, 14:35

Please Sub Doctor X Season 4, this is the most highly anticipated drama in Japan! Pleaseeee can someone sub this! Onegai! :-( :notworthy:

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Oct 22nd, '16, 02:28

Please let the subtitles be timed properly and sync'd with the audio. I tried to watch something recently, but the subs weren't in sync with dialog and it was unwatchable, too disorienting when I understand some Japanese, but the subs say something different.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 22nd, '16, 04:39

furransu wrote:highest viewership rating so far, just like the previous seasons.

would be a pity if season 4 doesn't get subbed, when the previous seasons have all been subbed :(
xoloveryoko wrote:Please Sub Doctor X Season 4, this is the most highly anticipated drama in Japan! Pleaseeee can someone sub this! Onegai! :-( :notworthy:
+1.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Oct 22nd, '16, 05:54

Every series starring the most beautiful Japanese actresses (Ryoko Yonekura, Nanako Matsushima, Matsu Takako, Yuko Takeuchi, Rina Uchiyama) should be subtitled. The world will be a better place.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 23rd, '16, 04:46

JackBauer2424 wrote:Every series starring the most beautiful Japanese actresses (Ryoko Yonekura, Nanako Matsushima, Matsu Takako, Yuko Takeuchi, Rina Uchiyama) should be subtitled. The world will be a better place.
No argument from me. :salut:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Oct 28th, '16, 04:10

Bibi

Post by Bibi » Oct 30th, '16, 00:11

Does anyone have the subs they can post on here? My antivirus does not like sendspace. Thanks in advance!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Nov 4th, '16, 04:08

Bibi wrote:Does anyone have the subs they can post on here? My antivirus does not like sendspace. Thanks in advance!
Can't you have your antivirus make an exception for Sendspace?

xoloveryoko

Post by xoloveryoko » Nov 4th, '16, 14:08

Doctor X S4

Episode 1 ----- 20.4
Episode 2 ---- 19.7
Episode 3 ---- 24.3
Episode 4 ---- 21.3

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Nov 5th, '16, 21:47

Even though it's pretty much the same thing over and over again (corrupt hospital execs, hot shot surgeon screwing up and Michiko suddenly saving the day), I don't get tired of it.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 22nd, '21, 00:16

Anyone remember which season Akira (Uncle Melon) got sick and maybe needed surgery? I don't remember what happened after that or if I finished watching that season.