[Discussion] GTO (remake)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
bukkakefighter

Post by bukkakefighter » Sep 4th, '12, 05:00

I'm a big fan of the original GTO. I was quite worried after the beginning scene in the first ep. But after awhile it looks like things fall in place and it's no bad. My greatest fear is that it would become super campy like Gokusen. It definetly falls somewhere between the old show and Gokusen, but it's not bad.

Also I was quite curious about the handgun the tattoo kid uses. The ammunition seems odd for handgun so I looked it up and it's likely 8mmx22 nambu ammunition from WWIII (bottlenecked handgun ammunition isnt't common nowadays) which is contrary to the handgun used....

Nambu pistols tend to look more like the german walther and ruger pistols of that era.
Instead the one he's shooting is some frankenstein looking ugly 1911/hi-point thing. If anyone knows what it is that'd be greatly appreciated.

Saltine
Fansubber
Fansubber
Japan

Post by Saltine » Sep 4th, '12, 06:31

asialover wrote:I am agree that the new GTO is more faithful to the manga than the old GTO drama. But the big difference with the GTO 1998 it's tht the new version lack of humanisation of the characters, lack of attachment between the characters and between the characters and the viewers. In the new version all seems fake and superficial. All the characters exist just for their fonction nothing other, they don't seem real.
Asialover pointed out exactly what this drama is. Good summary.

Perzona

Post by Perzona » Sep 4th, '12, 16:48

anyone know when the OST releases!?

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Sep 4th, '12, 20:48

Perzona wrote:anyone know when the OST releases!?
It's already out.

Also, DVD and Blu-Ray boxes have been announced for December 26.

Perzona

Post by Perzona » Sep 5th, '12, 19:35

awesome, thanks.

don't suppose you know where I can download it?

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Sep 5th, '12, 20:58

Perzona wrote:awesome, thanks.

don't suppose you know where I can download it?
'fraid not. I don't think it's online. You can order the CD though.

Words of Farewell

Post by Words of Farewell » Oct 3rd, '12, 20:19

Just finished it. And aside from the fact that the budget was too small to pick up some things from the Manga I really enjoyed it. I do hope they make a 2nd season with a bigger budget. It would be so worth it. :D

Sun Vulcan

Post by Sun Vulcan » Nov 16th, '12, 03:14

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Nov 16th, '12, 10:00

Yay, with Misako Uno as Saejimas love interest. Can't wait. :D

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Nov 26th, '12, 19:36

YouTube spinoff series about Uchiyamada has started. Episode 1 is up, but it's region locked.

Skyrocketo

Post by Skyrocketo » Dec 30th, '12, 15:45

I think I'm not even going to give this a try. They should've given the role to Sorimachi instead :p
Last edited by Skyrocketo on Jan 13th, '13, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.

aldricho

Post by aldricho » Jan 4th, '13, 00:33

will there be a season 2 on this? the new year special teased some text after the credits role like a big 2013? can anyone confirm this?

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Jan 4th, '13, 00:55

aldricho wrote:will there be a season 2 on this? the new year special teased some text after the credits role like a big 2013? can anyone confirm this?
No, but there's going to be another special in spring.

Words of Farewell

Post by Words of Farewell » Jan 9th, '13, 17:50

Ugly Pig wrote:
aldricho wrote:will there be a season 2 on this? the new year special teased some text after the credits role like a big 2013? can anyone confirm this?
No, but there's going to be another special in spring.
Really to bad, seems like it didn't get the ratings it'd need to get a 2nd season then? :(

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Jan 9th, '13, 20:33

Words of Farewell wrote:Really to bad, seems like it didn't get the ratings it'd need to get a 2nd season then? :(
Ratings were pretty good AFAIK. They wouldn't be making all these specials if they got poor ratings.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jan 12th, '13, 10:30

OMG, that hostess and her banana....

I really enjoyed the special, especially because it was unrealistic! In a good way. Yamamoto's facial expressions and his body language are just so funny. The interaction with Misako Uno was so good, and the triplets were cute! Fun entertainment!

kudalautnomat2

Post by kudalautnomat2 » Jan 26th, '13, 10:40

the dorama is good, the casting for onizuka was great, not handsome and brutal ! lol.
But this dorama is not good enough if you must compare to the original GTO, so better not to compare it guys :p

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Aug 11th, '13, 14:50

^ Agree. GTO was my first Jdorama and Sorimachi was just too darn good. This remake is OK. Good but not exactly comparable to the first. Just watch this without any big expectations.

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Mar 17th, '14, 22:41

I'm not seeing this mentioned anywhere for some reason, but GTO will get a second season this summer.

Also, a four episode mini-series named "GTO Taiwan". First episode airs in Taiwan this Saturday I believe. Don't know when it'll air in Japan.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Mar 18th, '14, 02:34

Ugly Pig wrote:I'm not seeing this mentioned anywhere for some reason, but GTO will get a second season this summer.

Also, a four episode mini-series named "GTO Taiwan". First episode airs in Taiwan this Saturday I believe. Don't know when it'll air in Japan.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ini-series

EXILE's Akira Reprises GTO in Live-Action Taiwan Mini-Series
posted on 2014-01-22 18:45 EST
4-episode show to premiere on March 22 with Onizuka teaching in Taiwanese high school
The live-action 2012-2013 GTO television remake starring EXILE dance/vocal group member Akira is returning with a four-episode GTO Taiwan mini-series. This joint Japanese/Taiwanese production was shot entirely on location in Taiwan and will premiere first on Taiwanese cable television channel GTV on March 22. The project's official website will announce when and how the mini-series will debut in Japan.

32-year-old Akira reprises his role as Onizuka, a former gang member who becomes a "legendary" unorthodox teacher. Joining Akira are 28-year-old Yuu Shirota as Onizuka's old friend Ryūji Danma and 26-year-old Yūsuke Yamamoto as Onizuka's policeman friend Toshiyuki Saejima. Taiwanese actors such as Genie Chuo (as a female teacher and heroine), SpeXial band members Hong Zheng and Wei Jin, Lele Cheng, and Han round out the cast.

In the brand-new story by returning scriptwriter Junpei Yamaoka, the blond instructor is invited to teach at a Taiwanese high school for a one-week training program. While there, Onizuka saves a student who is suffering from bullying. The screenplay features dialogue in both Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.

Kazuhisa Imai is returning from Akira's first GTO television series and specials to direct the new project. Principal photography began last August, primarily in Taipei and New Taipei. The Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and other locales stood in as Onizuka's school in Taiwan, and Akira, Shirota, Yamamoto shot night scenes in the "energetic" local streets filled with street vendors.

The project received funding from Cool Japan, the Japanese government's initiative to encourage the efforts of the Japanese creative industries abroad. Tohru Fujisawa's original GTO manga has been already been popular in Taiwan before Kansai TV, MMJ, and Comic International Productions decided to produce this Taiwanese-based mini-series.

Akira himself already visited Taiwan over 20 times before shooting this project. This is Shirota's first live-action overseas television production. He half-jokingly said that, after creating a show for over 1 billion Chinese-speaking people, he would like make something for English-speakers in the United States — particularly Las Vegas.

The original manga has over 45 million copies in print, and it previously inspired a 1998 live-action television series with Takashi Sorimachi in the title role. The earlier live-action version garnered an average rating of 28.5% and a series-high rating of 35.7% for the finale. The 11-episode remake live-action series starring Akira aired from July to September 2012. Akira already reprised the role in three specials in October 2012, January 2013, and April 2013.

The Comic Natalie site posted more screenshots from the new mini-series.

Sources: Sankei Sports, Comic Natalie

Images © 2014 Kansai TV © Tohru Fujisawa/Kodansha

Ugly Pig

Post by Ugly Pig » Mar 23rd, '14, 15:22

Ugly Pig wrote:Also, a four episode mini-series named "GTO Taiwan".
The first two episodes are now available for streaming on Crunchyroll.

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Apr 30th, '14, 14:28

I like both versions. 8)

Words of Farewell

Post by Words of Farewell » Jun 23rd, '14, 21:09

Does anyone know if a group has announced they'll be subbing the 2nd season which is about to air?

qwert2812

Post by qwert2812 » Aug 12th, '14, 02:04

Crunchyroll is airing this simultanously with the release I think so you can watch it there with subtitles
I downloaded their subs so I'm just waiting for decent raw file to download

JackBauer2424

Re: [Discussion] GTO (remake)

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 14th, '16, 00:32

Soramachi made the role his. The other guy didn't seem to fit. Not much interest in watching any more of the other guy's version.