Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Your Favorite Asadora?

Oshin (Tanaka Yuko, 1983)
16
20%
Himawari (Matsushima Nanako, 1996)
0
No votes
Churasan (Kuninaka Ryoko, 2001)
9
11%
Teruteru Kazoku (Ishihara Satomi, 2003)
4
5%
Junjo Kirari (Miyazaki Aoi, 2006)
4
5%
Chiritotechin (Kanjiya Shihori, 2007)
5
6%
Gegege no Nyobo (Matsushita Nao, 2010)
15
19%
Ohisama (Inoue Mao, 2011)
9
11%
Carnation (Ono Machiko, 2011)
19
23%
 
Total votes: 81

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby Keiko1981 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:34 am

pearlyriver wrote:I wonder if there's been an Asadora about an elite athlete i.e Olympics level?

Diving: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Amachan
Sumo: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hirari

Resluts when searching for "athlete" on DramaWiki
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ext=Search
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Ashita no Yakusoku, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

pearlyriver
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby pearlyriver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 am

Keiko1981 wrote:
pearlyriver wrote:I wonder if there's been an Asadora about an elite athlete i.e Olympics level?

Diving: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Amachan
Sumo: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hirari

Resluts when searching for "athlete" on DramaWiki
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ext=Search


I haven't watched Hirari but Amachan is not an elite athlete by any means. By mentioning "elite", I mean someone like Kei Nishikori, Kohei Uchimura or Mao Asada, people who have achieve mastery of their sports.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 pm

I just noticed that NYAA has all four seasons of Churasan with soft subs in one 34.31 GB download.
Watching that made me fall in love with Ryoko Kuninaka.

:-)

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 am

Not sure how I feel about this...



AKB48 to be in charge of the theme song for NHK morning drama 'Asa ga Kita'

AKB48 will be in charge of the theme song for the next NHK morning drama 'Asa ga Kita'. This announcement was made on August 18 at NHK Broadcasting Center.

"Asa ga Kita" is modeled after a businesswoman named Hirooka Asako, who lived during the end of the Edo Period to the Meiji Period. This will be the first NHK morning drama where the story begins at the end of the Edo Period. As previously reported, the protagonist 'Asa' will be played by Haru, Asa's husband 'Shinjiro' by Tamaki Hiroshi, and Asa's older sister 'Hatsu' by Miyazaki Aoi.

The title of the theme song is "365 Nichi no Kamihikouki" (English translation: 365 Days of Paper Airplanes). It's described as a gentle, medium-tempo number that features the acoustic guitar. The members who will be singing this song are Iriyama Anna, Kashiwagi Yuki, Kato Rena, Kizaki Yuria, Kitahara Rie, Kojima Haruna, Kodama Haruka, Sashihara Rino, Shimazaki Haruka, Takahashi Minami, Matsui Jurina, Miyawaki Sakura, Yamamoto Sayaka, Yokoyama Yui, Watanabe Mayu, and Watanabe Miyuki. Yamamoto Sayaka will serve as center for this song.

To read more, click here: http://www.tokyohive.com/article/2015/0 ... sa-ga-kita
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:50 pm

occultangle wrote:To add to that, after a general decline in ratings, dropping to 13.5% for Welkame in 2009, there has been mostly a rise in ratings. Hanako to Anne seems to be the highest amongst recent ones at 22.6, followed by Gochisousan at 22.4, according to the Japanese Wikipedia page.

It seems we will get another successful Asadora: Asa ga Kita seems to be a hit with very good ratings, right now the average rating is 23.0% and it doesn't seem it will decline but rise (the highest episode rating was 27.2 for friday of week 10).

User avatar
occultangle
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby occultangle » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:04 pm

kathia_sophia wrote:It seems we will get another successful Asadora: Asa ga Kita seems to be a hit with very good ratings, right now the average rating is 23.0% and it doesn't seem it will decline but rise (the highest episode rating was 27.2 for friday of week 10).


It seems the ones I am least interested in always do better. I have been downloading Asa ga Kita, but haven't really felt much desire to start watching it.

I dropped Hanako to Anne first episode, when I saw the goofy old person makeup on the heroine...Maybe later.

I thought Gochisousan was good, but I was almost offended that it did better than the previous one, Amachan, my favorite ever.

I loved Mare, and watched it as it aired, but it too seems to be being beaten by Asa ga Kita. I generally prefer the ones made by the Tokyo team, but the Osaka one's always get better ratings. I have some conspiracy theories as to why that is, but I better not say.

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:51 pm

occultangle wrote:I loved Mare, and watched it as it aired, but it too seems to be being beaten by Asa ga Kita. I generally prefer the ones made by the Tokyo team, but the Osaka one's always get better ratings. I have some conspiracy theories as to why that is, but I better not say.


Oh, please do share, I'm interested to know :D Asa ga Kita is my first asadora and I'm enjoying it, so I'm happy it's getting good ratings, but if there's another reason for its popularity, I'm keen to understand.

Also, I'm loving the Xmas theme on this site. There's even a cute Santa in my reply box!
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:35 am

kitty10 wrote:[<snip>
Oh, please do share, I'm interested to know :D Asa ga Kita is my first asadora and I'm enjoying it, so I'm happy it's getting good ratings, but if there's another reason for its popularity, I'm keen to understand.

Also, I'm loving the Xmas theme on this site. There's even a cute Santa in my reply box!

There is no conspiracy. Tokyo asadoras are from April - October. Osaka ones are from October - April. Ratings differences between the two have not been really significant lately. You are lucky to have so many recent asadoras being subbed.
2015 Mare
2014 late " Massan " ( Kanto ) 25.0 / 21.1 ( Kansai ) 26.2 / 22.2
2014 the previous fiscal year , " Hanako to Anne " ( Kanto ) 25.9 / 22.6 ( Kansai ) 25.0 / 21.6
2013 late " Gochisousan " ( Kanto ) 27.3 / 22.4 ( Kansai ) 24.6 / 21.8
2013 the previous year " Amachan " ( Kanto ) 27.0 / 20.6 ( Kansai ) 22.1 / 16.9
2012 late "June to Ai " ( Kanto ) 20.2 / 17.1 ( Kansai ) 18.4 / 15.9 no subs
2012 the previous fiscal year , " Umechan Sensei " ( Kanto ) 24.9 / 20.7 ( Kansai ) 21.3 / 18.5 no subs
2011 late " Carnation " ( Kanto ) 25.0 / 19.1 ( Kansai ) 22.7 / 19.6
2011 the previous fiscal year , " Ohisama " ( Kanto ) 22.6 / 18.8 ( Kansai ) 21.3 / 16.5
2010 late " Teppan " ( Kanto ) 23.6 / 17.2 ( Kansai ) 19.8 / 16.2 subs in progress
2010 the previous fiscal year , " Wife of Gegege " ( Kanto ) 23.6 / 18.6 ( Kansai ) 20.0 / 15.9

You have at least 7 most likely 9 asadoras with subs out there to be downloaded and viewed. It has only been the last couple of years that so many asadoras in a row have been subbed.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:40 am

I forgot to mention the 297 episode "Oshin". That is a fantastic storyline. Although in my opinion after Yuko Tanaka's portion is done the last part is not nearly as strong.

Download it while you can at NYAA. There are only 2 Seeders left. It is a big download at 50.67 GiB.

:D

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:39 pm

occultangle wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:It seems we will get another successful Asadora: Asa ga Kita seems to be a hit with very good ratings, right now the average rating is 23.0% and it doesn't seem it will decline but rise (the highest episode rating was 27.2 for friday of week 10).


It seems the ones I am least interested in always do better. I have been downloading Asa ga Kita, but haven't really felt much desire to start watching it.

I dropped Hanako to Anne first episode, when I saw the goofy old person makeup on the heroine...Maybe later.

I thought Gochisousan was good, but I was almost offended that it did better than the previous one, Amachan, my favorite ever.

I loved Mare, and watched it as it aired, but it too seems to be being beaten by Asa ga Kita. I generally prefer the ones made by the Tokyo team, but the Osaka one's always get better ratings. I have some conspiracy theories as to why that is, but I better not say.

I must say that the heroine childhood part of the story at the begining is a bit boring, but you can't give up right away, the best parts are always ahead. Hanako to Anne is very good in my opinion, and I absolutely like the love portion of it, one of the best Asadora's out there.

Regarding the best ones in ratings, I would like to hear your theory. As for myself, I have one as well. From the ratings I know since Gegege no Nyobo (which is for me the revival of Asadoras), I think the ones that do better are the period ones. I disagree with the Tokyo vs Osaka, after all, Hanako to Anne was Tokyo and it was one of the best Asadoras in what..6 years? I believe people like period ones better (for example myself), it's simple, from what I saw from Amachan and Mare is that those two have many cheesy elements and some over-the-top behaviors. You don't find that on period ones, because they're more serious and realistic, especially those based on real life people. AND that's another reason for better ratings: adaptations based on real people, and you only see that mostly on period ones.

So that's my two theories: Period and The story is based on the life of real people. Have the two combined and you have a hit (Hanako to Anne, Massan and Asa ga Kita to name a few).

ZemusDS
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby ZemusDS » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Is anyone willing to translate/write a synopsis for the upcoming Toto Nee-chan asadora so that it can be added to our Wiki?
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Toto_Nee-chan

It would be a great help. You may post it here if you don't have DramaWiki account or PM me and I'll edit it in for you. Thanks.

Utada Hikaru is singing the theme song for Toto Nee-chan by the way. It was announced earlier today.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 pm

And it was announced that the next Asadora for October~April is Beppin-san! And it starts with Showa era.

From what I've read, Toto Nee-chan is about a story of a women that her father died and she starts to take care of her family (mother and younger sisters), acting like a father figure. I think it will also focus on literature I think, I've read something about publishing...(maybe it's the work the heroine will do). I don't know about the time-line, which is something that I'm curious about.
Who watched Gochisousan will get familiar with the heroine, because she was Nishikado's younger sister Noriko in that Asadora.
As for Utada Hikaru theme song, it is amazing really! It will expose this Asadora even more... I expect good ratings.

User avatar
occultangle
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby occultangle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Sorry for my late response. Basically I presumed there was a bias with people preferring shows produced in their own region, but that the bias would be more pronounced in Kansai. Looking at the detailed ratings posted above, there does seem to be a bias, but they are nearly identical, or even slightly higher in Kanto, so I'm going to just declare myself wrong. Personally, I have no preference for what time period they are set in, but it may well be a factor in the ratings.

Which brings me to Toto Nee-chan. Noriko in Gochisousan was my favorite character. She was so adorable, and it made me look for anything else the actress was in (not much, but she is in a drama airing right now with the long title "Itsuka Kono Koi wo Omoidashite Kitto Naite Shimau" that I am watching just for her.) Also I love Utada Hikaru. So I'm incredibly excited about Toto Nee-chan.

Just looking at Wikipedia it seems to be set before and after World War II, so kathia_sophia, that should be a positive for you, but it seems it is a completely fictional story though.

It seems the story is about three sisters who set up a publishing company for women's magazines, to try to restore women's lives after the war. I'm guessing "toto" is some sort of Shizuoka dialect for father, so you can think of the title as something like Papa-nee chan.

If nobody else does, I will try to help with a synopsis for the Wiki. My Japanese is okayish, but I'm not all that great at writing, so I will defer to anyone else who wants to do it.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:26 pm

I absolutely love period ones better, especially during World War I or II. You don't get dramas or movies that are set in that timeline that often, so when it appears adaptations during WW like the movie Eien no Zero or the 12 ep dorama Tenno no Ryoriban, they get good ratings and become a hit.
I believe one of the trademarks of Asadora is the WW adaptations, and it must be a huge factor in ratings.

As for me, I don't care if it's a fictional story or based on real life people, as long as it is a period piece (Ohisama and Gochisousan were fictional but I loved them). But don't get me wrong, I liked Amachan and Mare as well, but I'm loving Asa ga Kita way more. It's just a personal preference.

I'm happy to know about Toto nee-chan timeline. If it gets subbed I'll watch it. It's been a while since I switched from prime time doramas to Asadoras (I only see 1 or 2 prime time dorama per year right now, 3/4 years ago I would watch almost 15/20, I just lost interest).

I'm really curious about Beppin-san, I wonder who will be the heroine?

User avatar
occultangle
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby occultangle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm

So I just looked at the NHK blog post about Beppin-san, to see what they say about it.

They are holding auditions for the heroine now, they plan to decide and announce the actress sometime between February and April, and to begin filming in May.

There is however quite a bit about the plot...

It's a post WWII setting. It's about a gentle woman named Sumire. Her father runs a business, her mother teaches her crafts and embroidery, she gets married at 18, and has a daughter.

Then the war starts, her husband is drafted, her house burns, and her fortune is confiscated. She makes clothing for her young daughter (presumably out of necessity) someone sees this, and suggests she should start selling the clothes she makes as a means of survival. She is surrounded by lots of other women with various problems, who have never worked before, and before she knows it, they all turn it into a full-fledged business making children's clothing.

When her husband returns from the war, he is initially strongly opposed to it, believing men should work, and women should be in the house, but he is eventually impressed by their enthusiasm and determination, and he begins to secretly support them behind the scenes.

It eventually leads to them selling to the imperial family, and many years later, Sumire opening the first all-around children's store in Japan with her now grown up daughter.

Also, I said they were fictional, but both Toto Nee-chan, and Beppin-san have a small note saying that they are loosely based on real people and events, but that they have been renamed and drastically changed, and that both shows are being presented as fiction.

koshonin
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby koshonin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 pm

thank you for the info, occultangle

story reminds me of Carnation (which I really loved)

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm

From what I read in japanese (my jap is so bad) is that Beppin-san was about clothes, but just that. So thank you for a detailed info.
I liked Carnation, but I'm not into fashion myself but if it's about children clothes it should be very interesting. I wonder who will be the heroine, I'm really curious, because Beppin-san means Ms. Beautiful right? They might choose someone with a special charm and appeal.

User avatar
occultangle
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby occultangle » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:14 am

Well originally "beppin" was a word used in commerce to denote a particularly high quality item for sell. It was later adopted to refer to particularly beautiful women. The creators of this drama say they are using the word not only in regards to the heroine's looks, but also in its original meaning for the quality of the clothes she makes, as well as the beautiful way she lives her life. They also mention that, judging from their description of the plot, you may get the impression that she will be a very outgoing or aggressive personality type, but they actually intend for her to be a quiet, gentle character.

I also did a little research on who these two dramas are based on. Beppin-san is based on a woman named Banno Atsuko who started the clothing company Familiar. Their website has an English section with some info.

http://www.familiar.co.jp/


Toto Nee-chan is based on Oohashi Shizuko who started a magazine called "kurashi No Techou" (means something like, "Life Notebook"). It seems to still be published today.

https://www.kurashi-no-techo.co.jp/

Also all the descriptions of the drama mention the heroine being helped by an editor, Hanayama Isaji, clearly based on the real-life editor of that magazine Hanamori Yasuji. He appears to have been an interesting character in real life, he seems to have been a bit of a cross-dresser, or at least had a very feminine hairstyle and occasionally wore a woman's skirt. It will be interesting to see if any of that gets into the story, but as I said, they are claiming the stories will be dramatically changed, so I bet he ends up just a normal love interest for the heroine.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Toto nee-chan official site is up!!!
http://www.nhk.or.jp/totone-chan/

It looks very promising! Does anyone knows if someone will sub this asadora?

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:05 pm

kathia_sophia wrote:Toto nee-chan official site is up!!!
http://www.nhk.or.jp/totone-chan/

It looks very promising! Does anyone knows if someone will sub this asadora?

I don't know but I hope that it will be subbed by someone.
:unsure:

JLove
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby JLove » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 am

dhisashi wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:Toto nee-chan official site is up!!!
http://www.nhk.or.jp/totone-chan/

It looks very promising! Does anyone knows if someone will sub this asadora?

I don't know but I hope that it will be subbed by someone.
:unsure:


I hope it will be subbed by someone too. I've watched the 2nd day and I'm already getting attached to it. With my sub par Japanese, I can understand some parts but sometimes I'm just guessing what they were saying.

I'm curious, I have not seen the torrent being uploaded yet let alone the eng sub. I'm a bit nervous that maybe nobody is interested in this drama. :cry:

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:48 pm

JLove wrote:
dhisashi wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:Toto nee-chan official site is up!!!
http://www.nhk.or.jp/totone-chan/

It looks very promising! Does anyone knows if someone will sub this asadora?

I don't know but I hope that it will be subbed by someone.
:unsure:


I hope it will be subbed by someone too. I've watched the 2nd day and I'm already getting attached to it. With my sub par Japanese, I can understand some parts but sometimes I'm just guessing what they were saying.

I'm curious, I have not seen the torrent being uploaded yet let alone the eng sub. I'm a bit nervous that maybe nobody is interested in this drama. :cry:

They usually upload not single episodes but week, so lets wait a bit, the first week is not even complete.
As for subs, I really hope someone picks it up, I'm so interested in the story and the characters.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:49 pm

kathia_sophia wrote:<big_snip>
They usually upload not single episodes but week, so lets wait a bit, the first week is not even complete.
As for subs, I really hope someone picks it up, I'm so interested in the story and the characters.

Well, jpsubbers has the first 4 episodes. So at least there will be Japanese subs if someone uploads the RAW. The videos are uploaded by the week usually by mid-week - next week for Week 1 around April 13, 2016.
:D

JLove
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby JLove » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:55 am

dhisashi wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:<big_snip>
They usually upload not single episodes but week, so lets wait a bit, the first week is not even complete.
As for subs, I really hope someone picks it up, I'm so interested in the story and the characters.

Well, jpsubbers has the first 4 episodes. So at least there will be Japanese subs if someone uploads the RAW. The videos are uploaded by the week usually by mid-week - next week for Week 1 around April 13, 2016.
:D


Oh, that's great! Sorry, kinda newbie as I have not really watched many asadoras. Only watched Gegege, Gochisousan and Asuka. Forgot that they upload them by week and not single episodes. I've watched Asuka entirely without subs and could follow what's going on except maybe some details in meanings and traditions revolving around wagashi. I love wagashi and the tea ceremony culture. :-)

Now I'm gonna wait for Toto Neechan's subs.

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1496
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:52 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby yanie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:26 pm

is Toto neechan's character based on a real life person, is it a true story?

koshonin
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby koshonin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:10 pm

yanie wrote:is Toto neechan's character based on a real life person, is it a true story?

answer by occultangle is a few posts up

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1496
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:52 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby yanie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:09 am

ack, sorry! should've checked first. thank you!

ZemusDS
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby ZemusDS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:54 pm

DramaWiki Asadora index page

This is something I have been working on today while editing DramaWiki. You can click on the % column to have them sorted according to average viewership ratings. Granted, the English Wikipedia entry is already complete as it is, but why not have a proper index/listing for DramaWiki as well?

Oh and just realized that...
About a woman who struggles to survive after World War II and starts a magazine.
(from Wikipedia. Non-chan no Yume, 40th Asadora series, 1988)

The story kinda resembles current airing Toto Nee-chan, doesn't it? At least the starting a magazine part. Not that I ever had the chance to watch that old asadora series though.

Toto Nee-chan week 1 DoA 720p should be posted to AvistaZ tomorrow btw.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:05 am

ZemusDS wrote:DramaWiki Asadora index page

<big_snip>
Toto Nee-chan week 1 DoA 720p should be posted to AvistaZ tomorrow btw.

Good news. Thanks for the info.

:D

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 pm

The lead actress for Beppin-san will be Yoshine Kyoko. Fourth time lucky for her since she'd also auditioned for Mare, Asa ga Kita and Toto Nee-chan.

http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/04/ ... w-nhk.html
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

koshonin
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby koshonin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:07 am

ZemusDS, thank you for completing the wiki!
I would really like to watch an old/early Asadora to see how things (storytelling, pace...) changed.
.
I guess with this kind if format it's impossible to hope for some reruns ...

User avatar
tenkal
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby tenkal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 am

2003 Asadora, Teruteru Kazoku has been re-airing currently on NHK BS Premium. I checked the jpsubbers site, but seems they don't to have it up (yet?). If there is enough interest for the Japanese captions, then I can most likely extract it and post it here on a later date.

koshonin
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby koshonin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:42 am

tenkal wrote:2003 Asadora, Teruteru Kazoku has been re-airing currently on NHK BS Premium. I checked the jpsubbers site, but seems they don't to have it up (yet?). If there is enough interest for the Japanese captions, then I can most likely extract it and post it here on a later date.

Thanks for the info. I never expected them to reair any of them. bmwracer provided raws in 2013 (tho I doubt that they are still seeded), I guess it was reaired then already. Is it that good?

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:45 pm

tenkal wrote:2003 Asadora, Teruteru Kazoku has been re-airing currently on NHK BS Premium. I checked the jpsubbers site, but seems they don't to have it up (yet?). If there is enough interest for the Japanese captions, then I can most likely extract it and post it here on a later date.

I would be interested. I found out that it stars very young Ishihara Satomi, Ueno Juri and Nishikido Ryo. Just viewing them as youngsters would be interesting.

You can still get the RAW at xaxa's "Rare and old doramas restoration project" website (Google for address).
Most of the episodes are from Keiko1981's archives.
Video: TVRip, avi, 640x480.
Note: episodes 13, 25, 37, 109 are partial!


:-)

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:41 pm

ZemusDS wrote:DramaWiki Asadora index page

This is something I have been working on today while editing DramaWiki. You can click on the % column to have them sorted according to average viewership ratings. Granted, the English Wikipedia entry is already complete as it is, but why not have a proper index/listing for DramaWiki as well?

Thank you for your effort, however, I don't know if it was you who did the %, but I believe some are incorrect. You need to check that out. For example: Hitomi was 16.4% not 15.2%. Tsubasa was 14.8% not 13.8%. Chiritotechin was 17.0% not 15.9%, and so on...

ZemusDS
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby ZemusDS » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Certainly, you are half correct on that. However, I copy pasted the numbers straight from Video Research Ltd. For the dramas you listed, DramaWiki have different average ratings listed indeed. I'm fully aware of this and it's something I noticed while editing.

The editor that added ratings for Tsubasa, Hitomi and Chiritotechin may have used a different source back then.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 pm

ZemusDS wrote:Certainly, you are half correct on that. However, I copy pasted the numbers straight from Video Research Ltd. For the dramas you listed, DramaWiki have different average ratings listed indeed. I'm fully aware of this and it's something I noticed while editing.

The editor that added ratings for Tsubasa, Hitomi and Chiritotechin may have used a different source back then.

I thought about it again, and could be both correct, one for Kansai and the other for Kanto. It could be a possibility though

User avatar
occultangle
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby occultangle » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:26 am

Just in case anyone is interested, Teru Teru Kazoku is being put up on Nyaa. I've been dying to watch it for years, but couldn't bring myself to watch the available version knowing episodes were missing.

Since Toto Nee-chan hasn't shown up on Nyaa, I've been focused on downloading and watching it from Avistaz, and I forgot to even check Nyaa for anything in a while, and when I did, Teru Teru Kazoku was already up to week five. I have my fingers crossed that whoever the wonderful individual is uploading it can continue.

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:46 pm

And we have our next asadora heroine. Arimura Kasumi will lead Hiyokko (Young Bird), which will begin its run from April 3, 2017. The asadora will be set in 1964, when the Tokyo Olympics were held.

http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/06/ ... w-nhk.html
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

koshonin
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby koshonin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

kitty10 wrote:And we have our next asadora heroine. Arimura Kasumi will lead Hiyokko (Young Bird), which will begin its run from April 3, 2017. The asadora will be set in 1964, when the Tokyo Olympics were held.

http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/06/ ... w-nhk.html

Thank you for the info.
Interesting that it will only cover the time from age 18 to 30. I think that's rare for an asadora, though I might be wrong having only watched a few.

User avatar
lontong.stroong
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Right Here

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby lontong.stroong » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:23 pm

koshonin wrote:
kitty10 wrote:And we have our next asadora heroine. Arimura Kasumi will lead Hiyokko (Young Bird), which will begin its run from April 3, 2017. The asadora will be set in 1964, when the Tokyo Olympics were held.

http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/06/ ... w-nhk.html

Thank you for the info.
Interesting that it will only cover the time from age 18 to 30. I think that's rare for an asadora, though I might be wrong having only watched a few.


Amachan's time span is even shorter, I believe it only covers Aki (the heroine) time from 16-25 years old. But it has numerous flashback on its side characters (especially the heroine's mother).

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:30 pm

I love that the setting is around the Tokyo Olympics time. I loved the movies Always: Sunset on Third Street, especially the one with the Olympics timeline, I really like that part of history in Japan, economic growth and hope. If they make it look like the movies Always (scenery, clothes, ...) I would be very pleased.

As for the actress, I've seen a couple of doramas with her. I don't dislike her but I don't like her either. I wish it were another actress though. I loved Asa's daughter in Asa ga Kita, I think her name is Koshiba Fuka (loved her in Kiki's Delivery Service), I hope for her someday be an Asadora heroine.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:51 pm

The official website for Beppin-san is up! Check it out!
http://www.nhk.or.jp/beppinsan/

frugele
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby frugele » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:55 pm

I take a look at toto neechan sometimes, the scenery of this drama is nice and its opening song is cute

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:10 pm

kathia_sophia wrote:<big_snip>
As for the actress, I've seen a couple of doramas with her. I don't dislike her but I don't like her either. I wish it were another actress though. I loved Asa's daughter in Asa ga Kita, I think her name is Koshiba Fuka (loved her in Kiki's Delivery Service), I hope for her someday be an Asadora heroine.

I actually did not like her (Kyoko Yoshine) performance in Omotesando Koukou Gasshoubu!. I skipped Hana Moyu the Taiga because of the writing and the casting. I hope that I wont skip Beppin san for the same reasons. :-(

:scratch:

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:04 pm

dhisashi wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:<big_snip>
As for the actress, I've seen a couple of doramas with her. I don't dislike her but I don't like her either. I wish it were another actress though. I loved Asa's daughter in Asa ga Kita, I think her name is Koshiba Fuka (loved her in Kiki's Delivery Service), I hope for her someday be an Asadora heroine.

I actually did not like her (Kyoko Yoshine) performance in Omotesando Koukou Gasshoubu!. I skipped Hana Moyu the Taiga because of the writing and the casting. I hope that I wont skip Beppin san for the same reasons. :-(

:scratch:

I was talking about Arimura Kasumi. I was really disappointed, but I'll never know if I'll love her Asadora dorama, at least I like the setting, always loved the Tokyo Olympic times.
As for Yoshine Kyoko, I think I never seen a drama with her, so I won't have any sort of feelings, I'm going open-minded to watch it. It was the same for Asa ga Kita, never heard of Haru before, so it was a nice surprise.

I think both Tokyo and Osaka broadcasting stations will be doing period Asadora dramas for a while. Amachan might have been a success, but Mare was not that big, having lower than 20% in ratings (above 20% in ratings is like standard for Asadoras nowadays). I think period pieces have more impact, well at least for me it has, I always learn so much.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Beppin-san theme song will be Hikari no Atelier by Mr. Children.

I think Asadoras are becoming quite of prestigious, right? It's been a while since their theme songs are sang by famous japanese artists, like Yuzu, ayaka, Utada Hikaru, AKB48 and now Mr. Children.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2559
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby dhisashi » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:29 pm

The recent modern Asadoras did not fare that badly:
88  Amachan 20.60% modern
89  Gochisousan 22.40%
90  Hanako to Anne 22.60%
91  Massan 21.10%
92  Mare 19.40% modern
93  Asa ga Kita 23.50%
94  Toto-Neechan 22.78% thru ep. 148
Source: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Asadora_(NHK)

If you are interested you can check the Source link to see that the Asadoras early hey days then a gradual drop off in popularity.
The low period for ratings was from 2003 to about 2013 perhaps to a change in Japan's demographics - who knows.
I have watched all of the Asadoras since 2005 minus Umechan Sensei and Jun to Ai. Also I have seen these earlier ones: Asuka, Churasan and Sakura plus the all time classic Oshin.

But there has definitely been a resurgence recently in their ratings. :-)

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:14 pm

It's not strictly asadora news, but there's some connection as Toto Nee-chan is up for a spin-off SP: http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/09/ ... drama.html

Also, it's almost time for Beppin-san to air, so there was the handover ceremony: http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2016/09/ ... rning.html
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:53 pm

New Asadora announced to air after Hiyokko starring Arimura Kasumi. This new Asadora, called "Warotenka" will be the 97th Asadora and will run from 2017-Oct-02 to 2018-Mar-31.
I think this one will be different from all the others (at least from what I know since I only follow Asadoras since Gegege no Nyobo, though I've seen Oshin). It will be about comedy and theater, and the setting will be late Meiji through World War II.

Here the synopsis:
"Warotenka" is set during the late Meiji era to post-World War II period at Osaka featuring the lead character Fujioka Ten who is modelled on Yoshimoto Sei, the founder of Yoshimoto Kogyo and a female show promoter. Fujioka was born into a family managing a drug wholesale business in Kyoto and meets Kitamura Fujiyoshi who is the son of a family in the rice dealing business at Osaka. When they fall in love, Fujioka goes against her parents' wishes to marry Kitamura who is a big lover of comedy. Subsequently, after her husband's family goes bust, she unwittingly becomes the owner of a vaudeville theater with her husband. This then leads to her becoming the first person in Japan to make comedy into a business and transforming Osaka into a capital of comedy.

Auditions to choose the actress to play the heroine will begin from the end of this month and the decision will be made by January or February next year. It is expected that the formal announcement will be made next March. The heroine's life described in the drama will be from the age of 17 to her 50s.

Seems we will be up for some new setting and laugh. Sounds so interesting folks!

jomteon
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby jomteon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the 2002 asadora "Sakura"? I've searched everywhere I can think of, but I've run into nothing but dead ends :(

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 am

Seems we're a bit behind on asadora news. After Warotenka (which stars Aoi Wakana), the next asadora beginning April 2, 2018 will be "Hanbun, Aoi", starring Nagano Mei. It's based on an original script by Kitagawa Eriko and set in the modern era.

http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2017/06/ ... w-nhk.html
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kathia_sophia » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 pm

An update on Asadora's ratings (since the revival of Asadora's Gegege no Nyobo):

2016 Oct-Mar『Beppin-san』 20,3%
2016 Mar-Sep『Toto Nee-chan』 22,8%
2015 Oct-Mar『Asa ga Kita』 23,5%
2015 Mar-Sep『Mare』 19.4%
2014 Oct-Mar『Massan』 21.1%
2014 Mar-Sep『Hanako to Anne』22.6%
2013 Oct-Mar『Gochisousan』22.4%
2013 Mar-Sep『Amachan』20.6%
2012 Oct-Mar『Jun to Ai』17.1%
2012 Mar-Sep『Umechan Sensei』20.7%
2011 Oct-Mar『Carnation』19.1%
2011 Mar-Sep『Ohisama』18.8%
2010 Oct-Mar『Teppan』17.2%
2010 Mar-Sep『Gegege no Nyobo』18.6%

Currently airing "Hiyokko" is at 19,9% right now, the last 3 weeks received a boost in ratings, so it will reach the 20% soon. The next Asadora, "Warotenka" looks promising. The looks reminds me of Hanako to Anne and the later in the series Asa ga Kita. The official site is up: http://www.nhk.or.jp/warotenka/

ecco27
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby ecco27 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I just got in to watching asadora recently and I LOVE them. I've always tried to get in to taiga dramas because I love history but I've really only made it through one (Atsuhime), it turns out that these were the type of historical dramas I wanted to see after all! So far I've watched Carnation and Gouchisousan and I'm working on Asa Ga Kita. I like that these are the stories of women and their families, I like how some of them are loosely based on real people but are fictionalized enough to keep them more compelling (and in some cases to keep the characters more likable :sweat: ). I also really like how there's a nice balance with the actors... you see some that are fairly big drama stars, some that are in lots of dramas but with small parts, some who typically don't do dramas and are either TV personalities or do more theater work, and some that are new and just starting out.

never thought I'd like these so much, whenever an actor I liked had a asadora part I'd be like "Augh why are they in this show with a million episodes, I don't have the time to watch that!" and never even gave them a shot but now I have and I'm glad.

Miyuki1988
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby Miyuki1988 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 am

Where I can find the SP Drama of the Asadoras?

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 am

Miyuki1988 wrote:Where I can find the SP Drama of the Asadoras?

Go through Rare & Old Dorama's asadoras, maybe you find something there. page 1, page 2, page 3.

Search Nyaa https://nyaa.si/?q=&f=0&c=4_0
Gifted Ones | Twitter | UL @ Nyaa | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Ashita no Yakusoku, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby kitty10 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 am

ecco27 wrote: never thought I'd like these so much, whenever an actor I liked had a asadora part I'd be like "Augh why are they in this show with a million episodes, I don't have the time to watch that!" and never even gave them a shot but now I have and I'm glad.


Haha, I was like this when Tamaki Hiroshi was cast in Asa ga Kita, but now I'm almost halfway through and enjoying it a lot. His character is so useless though, haha. I want to finish Asa ga Kita so I can prepare myself for Hanbun, Aoi since it's got Sato Takeru.
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog

Miyuki1988
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby Miyuki1988 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 am

Keiko1981 wrote:
Miyuki1988 wrote:Where I can find the SP Drama of the Asadoras?

Go through Rare & Old Dorama's asadoras, maybe you find something there. page 1, page 2, page 3.

Search Nyaa https://nyaa.si/?q=&f=0&c=4_0


Thank You...

User avatar
j_halo7
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:04 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Asadora (NHK Morning Drama)

Postby j_halo7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Does anyone know where to download raws for Warotenka? I've been checking nyaa and acgnx with no luck. Unless the file names doesn't contain the word "warotenka"...
Now watching: Too many to count. XD


Return to “JDrama Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests