Penpal help!! Translate English into korean!! Please!!

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
RavenCloud

Penpal help!! Translate English into korean!! Please!!

Post by RavenCloud » May 23rd, '09, 02:14

Hi,

first thank you guys if you can help me. That would be great.
I am really stranded now. I have a korean penpal. And she is really someone important for me. I really care about her a lot. But in the last time there came up some stupid missunderstandings and also my own chaotic life...and I really could kick my own a.. for acting like a fool.
Now I want to show her that she really means much to me and I want to apologize about some missunderstandings which came up. But her englisch is not perfect so sometimes it is hard for her to really understand what I want to say. So I would like to send someone here my lines and it would be awsome if you could translate them into korean that would save my life and everything. This means really a lot to me and I want to show her that I really try everything to show her what she means to me.

I know this is not a typical request but if you could help me I would be thankful for forever.

So if someone is giving his or her ok. Then I will send him or her my lines.

THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance.

Best regards

Philipp~

groink

Post by groink » May 23rd, '09, 02:44

Oh boy... This doesn't sound right at all. The two of you haven't even physically hooked up yet, and already there's a misunderstanding and a language barrier? This is no way to go about repairing the relationship. First, she knows you can't speak or write Hangul (otherwise, you wouldn't have asked for translation,) so for someone to translate for you... Just think about it from her point of view: she will know you didn't write the letter.

Even if the translated letter patches things up, what about the next time?

What I would do is this: write to her in English! Even if her English comprehension isn't perfect, at least your letter is honest AND first-person. But, if you're not confident enough to trust your letter to get the message across, I'd actually call her. Letters can only carry you to a certain point.

Sorry, folks... I see this stuff far too many times in Hawaii. One of my friends work at a tourist agency in Hawaii, and at least half the women working there are Japanese or Korean divorcees stuck in Hawaii - and virtually all of them had American husbands who couldn't speak their native languages.

--- groink

Puppet Princess

Re: Penpal help!! Translate English into korean!! Please!!

Post by Puppet Princess » May 23rd, '09, 03:15

RavenCloud wrote:This means really a lot to me and I want to show her that I really try everything to show her what she means to me.
Like... tried to learn her language?
One of the best things you can do in a case like this is show you care enough to take the effort to learn the language and send her a error filled message yourself. She obviously knows what it's like to struggle with a language so it will mean more to know you are putting yourself through that just for her. It's not like she wont be able to figure out what you were trying to say even if you get the grammar and stuff wrong. And eventually you will be well versed enough to avoid such misunderstandings in the future.

RavenCloud

Post by RavenCloud » May 23rd, '09, 09:47

You guys don't understand. It was not on purpose. Because I didn't searched about a korean penpal on purpose. First I didn't knew she was korean. Because at her penpal entry she said she is living in Australia now und under her language their was "English".

She is really quite good in english but if it comes to complicated stuff then sometimes it could lead to missunderstandigs. And this is exactly what happend. But our friendship isn't broken yet. She already sended me an email again and she seems to really like me. But I really would like to show her how much she also mean to me. Even if we don't know for so long. But we are talkin everyday more than 4 hours sometimes 6 hours on msn and she isn't like that "HEy she is like every girl" she is someone really special and I want her to show that she means also that much too me.

I need a lot to write to her. But not the hole message should be in korean just one part. Because this is the language she understands the best and I need a korean text which can't waged to missunderstandings again. If I just try to translate my english lines with google to korean then it is the same as writing directly into english to her.
Normly I am not begging for something. But she isn't just a penpal she ist more for me.

That's why I am asking.

OK I don't care if anybody can read it now but this would be the text:

"Hi my sweet gorgeous Selina. I felt really bad after yesterday because you really don't know how much you means to me. We just know each other for a very short time but I am a romantic and sensitive guy you already know and I can feel that there could be something great between the two of us. I know my situation at the moment is not the optimal basis to start what ever we want to start. But I don't care about that. I never cared about anyone so much since after such a short time. And I can't turn these feelings off. I am and I always was completely honest to you. I am really feeling sad about it that it waged to such missunderstandinds yesterday. But this is how I want you to show how serious I take this. I really like you. And I am not interested in any other penpals or whatelse I just want to talk and laugh with you. This is the just a way where we started. I don't even now where it will lead us. Let us see but one think is for sure. I really care about you and you are my sweet beautiful Selina and this is a fact a already can't change anymore."

So this is my message. The rest I will write to her in englisch. But I hope you understand my situation. I don't want to copy that message into google translation because this will not do the effect I want it to be. Because then I could just send it in englisch too and maybe that would be much more understand able for her as a google translation.

PLEASE I NEED HELP.

Thank you guys in advance

Philipp~

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 23rd, '09, 10:39

Again... google translate is not actually effort or sincerity. From a girls perspective... you want to say all these nice things, but don't want to make any effort other than asking someone else to translate for you... that isn't very romantic to me. You can't rely on a translator to make a relationship work. If you had attempted to translate it yourself then asked someone to look it over and help you fix it up, that's one thing. But as it is you just sound lazy. In fact, this sort of makes you sound like that guy in high school who gets a phrasebook just so they can hook up with the hot foreign exchange student. You can't take the lazy approach to a relationship and expect it to work out great. Nowhere do you even say something like, "Yeah I'm trying to learn Korean, but I still suck. Please help."

If I might ask... what is your native language?

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 23rd, '09, 10:42

I wish I knew Korean so I could translate it for you, because I want to play the same role as the bad guy in Densha Otoko. kekekeke.

Don't get to play the bad guy too often in real life...but for some reason I have a really great urge to, in this case. Kekekeke.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 23rd, '09, 11:17

Maybe it's better to stop being so German. Write in short, simple sentences instead. That way, she can't misunderstand and you can still express yourself.

nankasento

Post by nankasento » May 28th, '09, 19:05

ethidda wrote:Maybe it's better to stop being so German. Write in short, simple sentences instead. That way, she can't misunderstand and you can still express yourself.
Actually German isn't that difficult and uses for the most part short sentences, I always found French and Spanish to have much longer sentences for the same things in German.

I also agree with the others above, learn Hangul yourself, it's not even that difficult to learn the "alphabet", if you spend proper time learning it you can nail the characters down in a couple of weeks maybe even 5 days if you really practice the entire day on it.

I was able to write basic sentences within 6 hours and I work 2 jobs and take a course in finances as well so those 6 hours was spent over an entire week.

If you really want it to have impact you write it yourself, handwritten at that.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 28th, '09, 19:27

nankasento wrote:
Actually German isn't that difficult and uses for the most part short sentences, I always found French and Spanish to have much longer sentences for the same things in German.
Wow, you must've learned different German and French than I have. :scratch: I can't say anything about Spanish, though, since I don't know any.