What languages do you know?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

What languages do you know proficiently?

Chinese
20%
Japanese
15%
Korean
3%
Korean
3%
Chinese & Japanese
5%
Chinese & Korean
1%
Japanese & Korean
2%
All of Above
2%
None of Above (must rely on subtitles)
50%

Total votes: 935

k_fan

Post by k_fan » Mar 21st, '06, 10:47

PopGilligan wrote:
martina_SMO wrote: And I tried to study Korean but I hated it, I'm sure it was the teacher's fault :whistling:
UGH. I hate that. At my old high school, we had an amazing Japanese teacher, and a terrible Spanish teacher. No one wanted to take Spanish because she just didn't care. She didn't like the language, and she didn't like the kids.

I never understood why she didn't just quit, or why she wasn't fired. It's not like Spanish is a rare language...they could have gotten a new teacher in seconds.
Little known secret: once teachers have tenure, they're untouchable, lol. :P

huangziwei

Post by huangziwei » Mar 21st, '06, 11:18

chinese :P
wanna know korean, but it seems harder than it looks :glare:

sejabin

Post by sejabin » Mar 22nd, '06, 23:20

darn! NONE of the above!

Katashi Takishiro

Post by Katashi Takishiro » Mar 23rd, '06, 05:11

Only English for now....going to start learning Japanese this fall.

shortcake

Post by shortcake » Mar 25th, '06, 08:31

English
Cambodian
6 Years of French (although you would never know unless the language was a last resort of communication, and yes that has happened)
Learning Japanese (hopefully will be getting the job applied for in Japan <crossing my fingers for YES>)

qilver

Post by qilver » Apr 6th, '06, 21:28

i watch a lot of japanese dramas and some korean ones. Also, i am trying to learn Japanese on my own from various books, but it is a challenge. Mostly, i rely on Japanese subtitles to understand the dramas. :mrgreen:

k_chocolat

Post by k_chocolat » Apr 8th, '06, 00:18

i speak Japanese and English fluently. i also speak French, just little bit though :-)

andi_the_angel78

Post by andi_the_angel78 » Apr 8th, '06, 00:22

I'm fluent in Tagalog and English..... not so fluent in Korean, and Mandarin

sokiie

Post by sokiie » Apr 9th, '06, 03:39

I can speak: English, Cambodian, French, and Chinese. I want to learn Korean and Japanes, so I can watch those dramas without subtitles, but unfortunately for now I have to reply on them.

Lone_Prodigy

Post by Lone_Prodigy » Apr 13th, '06, 21:55

Hey, I was thinking of taking a university class in Japanese or Korean. Which one do you think I should do? I asked a friend who took Japanese, and she said it's complicated (like 4 types or something)? So maybe I'll take Korean. anyong haseyo!

ddrdancing

hmm...

Post by ddrdancing » Apr 13th, '06, 22:06

I know only English and Viet, so none of the above, i guess...

Schala

Post by Schala » Apr 14th, '06, 00:09

I don't know any other language proficiently besides English. But I know some Japanese (all from anime, movies, and dramas...but I hope to take classes some day...I want to learn it fluently to one day use in a future career), some Spanish (3 years in high school), and a little French (only took 1 semester in college, but I haven't used it much since, so I've pretty much forgotten most of it). ^^0

MyAuspiciousWish

Post by MyAuspiciousWish » Apr 21st, '06, 21:00

I can speak 3 languages but it's none of the above....Hmong, English, And a little of french...But I want to learn 1 more language...=D

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Apr 22nd, '06, 04:55

I've probably posted here before, but it wouldn't hurt to post again. I can speak (and wrtie) Spanish and Englsih fluently. My Japanese is getting much better too.

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Apr 22nd, '06, 05:11

I speak and understand Chinese quite well and since last year, started taking up Korean classes too, so I could read and understand some Korean without subtitles :lol As for English, it's been my language since the first day I learnt how to speak... :D

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:16

malay, indonesian and english is my 1st language that i learnt in this world.....then i never learnt any language anymore....just stay with what i knew and got...hahahaahaha:)

Pyoko

Post by Pyoko » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:29

Urdu, Hindi, English, French, Japanese and bits and pieces of various other languages. :D

Magma

Post by Magma » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:34

I know hebrew and english, that's all.

:-)

Engelchen18
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Engelchen18 » Apr 22nd, '06, 07:37

I only can English (from school) nd German and a fwe words in Japnese.

Duet

Post by Duet » Apr 23rd, '06, 07:42

I speak Vietnamese and english fluently and Im pretty darn good at german too

ItohMisaki's_FAN

Post by ItohMisaki's_FAN » Apr 28th, '06, 21:45

I'm fluent in Spanish (mother tongue), English and Italian... also, I'm trying to learn Japanese.
Last edited by ItohMisaki's_FAN on Apr 29th, '06, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Apr 29th, '06, 04:59

Fluently:
German
English

Rusty (meaning I can still speak and understand'em, but with a lot of mistakes, happens when you don't use'em for a while):
French
Russian
Latin

plus one year Japanese which'll end in summer. Next semester will be in autumn, can't wait for it, how am I supposed to survive summer without Japanese lessons?

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Apr 30th, '06, 00:03

haha, yeah, Inknow what you mean! My first year of Japanese is endung in the summer too... I'm going to continue in the fall/autumn as well.. What I'm going to do is just study ahead and review old things too so I won't forget. Also, since this summer I'm going to Japan for 15 days, that's help alot too.. Maybe you should review over the summer.
がんばって!

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 30th, '06, 00:18

Fluently:
German (mother-tongue)
English (recently won yet another English discussion contest :lol )
Italian (quite a few years at HS, couple of visits to Italy)

Rusty:
French (2 years at HS, planning on going to France for a month next year to finally push it to proficiency)

Self-study:
Japanese (for a year now)
Korean (6 months)

Future plans:
Mandarin (beautiful!)
Norwegian (cute)
Spanish (useful and I'd pick it up fast since I know Italian and French already)

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Apr 30th, '06, 05:04

Fluently:

English and Japanese *Japanese is my mother toungue and then I learned English*

Learning but suck at:

Spanish *Gosh I hate learning it, I suck at the verb tenses and such and the imperfect, preterit things*...I can read a little and understand a little spanish...somehow....

ItohMisaki's_FAN

Post by ItohMisaki's_FAN » Apr 30th, '06, 21:54

Littleangel91356 wrote: Spanish *Gosh I hate learning it, I suck at the verb tenses and such and the imperfect, preterit things*...I can read a little and understand a little spanish...somehow....
No te preocupes, que no es tan dificil! :D

Keito

Post by Keito » Apr 30th, '06, 22:15

Norwegian is my mother tounge, the only language I speak fluently.

English is my second language, which I've probably studied for 8-9 years now, more or less. I (like to think that) my written English is pretty good, while oral's not too shabby either.

Japanese is something I began studying on my own, but unfortunately not very much at all... I can read hiragana and katakana, as well as a handful of kanji, but I don't know basic grammar or anything. Was supposed to learn myself that this year! Would be about time.

Then there's Cantonese, which I started studying a few weeks ago. My girlfriend's Chinese! So far I barely know some common phrases and such. Working on the pronounciation has taken most of my time, but it's not like I've been working really hard with language studies lately either.

Also, I know very little French, which I learnt at school one year. Most of it is gone, and I never learnt a whole lot either.

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » May 2nd, '06, 06:19

albertoavena wrote:haha, yeah, Inknow what you mean! My first year of Japanese is endung in the summer too... I'm going to continue in the fall/autumn as well.. What I'm going to do is just study ahead and review old things too so I won't forget. Also, since this summer I'm going to Japan for 15 days, that's help alot too.. Maybe you should review over the summer.
がんばって!
Well, yes, but it's not just that. I really like my teacher, so... *cough* anyway... move on... nothing to see here...

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » May 3rd, '06, 02:16

ItohMisaki's_FAN wrote:
No te preocupes, que no es tan dificil! :D
Quizá no como difícil comparado Japonés y inglés...I think? lol...I still need to improve a whole lot..

android_04

Post by android_04 » May 3rd, '06, 02:30

Crazy Penguin wrote:
albertoavena wrote:haha, yeah, Inknow what you mean! My first year of Japanese is endung in the summer too... I'm going to continue in the fall/autumn as well.. What I'm going to do is just study ahead and review old things too so I won't forget. Also, since this summer I'm going to Japan for 15 days, that's help alot too.. Maybe you should review over the summer.
がんばって!
Well, yes, but it's not just that. I really like my teacher, so... *cough* anyway... move on... nothing to see here...
I really like my Japanese teacher too :mrgreen: :wub:

Buck

Post by Buck » May 3rd, '06, 02:48

Well I rely on subtitles most of the time hehe..

The first language that I ever spoken was French.. then after I started speaking Vietnamese.. and then after that I started speaking English. I want to learn Cantonese but it's really difficult in my school.. plus you gotta know the basics of it which I dont v_v

lhtgculoves168

Post by lhtgculoves168 » May 7th, '06, 17:08

cantonese ain't really dat hard. i learned to speak it when i was born den mandarin. n i usually read da subtitles fuh korean movies, n thru dat i learned a bit of korean lol

lhtgculoves168

Post by lhtgculoves168 » May 7th, '06, 17:18

cantonese ain't really dat hard. i learned to speak it when i was born den mandarin. n i usually read da subtitles fuh korean movies, n thru dat i learned a bit of korean lol

angeizahoy

Post by angeizahoy » May 7th, '06, 19:03

i know Cantonese fluently, and I'm starting to learn a bit of Mandarin. i mean, heck, watching all these dramas certainly does help you learn a language! i also know Italian - beautiful language right there. and then comes the random bits and pieces of other languages that you just pick up randomly: japanese, korean, spanish, german, french. the most important thing to learn in any language: where's the bathroom? :P

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 7th, '06, 19:31

My knowledge of the CJK languages is limited at best..

Languages I know, in order of proficiency:
English -- My native language, and my least favourite.
German -- I know enough to get by on German forums and websites, but I'd likely be lost if you threw me into a German-speaking country. [My brain doesn't work THAT quickly.]
Japanese -- I can't speak it, but I can often pick up the general idea of what's going on. No specifics, unfortunately. As for reading it? Heh. Kanji will be the death of me~ :wub: [And I have yet to figure out what っつ means.
Latin -- Hahaha, four years and I know..very little. :lol Not that it matters, since it's a dead language anyway..

One day I'll be able to speak, all of them, I swear! :P

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » May 7th, '06, 19:37

I know how to speak Tagalog and English Fluently. I've been taking spanish for 2 years now so I'm just learning to pick up basic sentences.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » May 7th, '06, 19:48

My native language is English, and I've been studying Japanese for quite a few years now. I'm pretty good at it, but can usually understand only about 50% of a raw J-drama, especially if it has doinkloads of slang and puns. Those are doinky. But I've been able to watch some anime raw and understand most of it. I also took Spanish for a year, but "mi español es muy mal", as they say. XD

doinkies might tackle Mandarin Chinese and Korean in the future...my grandpa wants doinkies to learn Mandarin Chinese in particular (and no, I'm not Chinese myself, it's because Mandarin Chinese might be a useful language to know in the future). I only know a couple Korean words like "Sarang hae yo" and "Anyeong hase yo". Oh, and I can write "doink" and "doinkies" in Korean as well, hehe. (They're 도이그 and 도이기스, respectively.)
Last edited by doink-chan on May 7th, '06, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » May 7th, '06, 19:52

Is it hard to learn new characters for langauges such as korean, japanese etc? I'm really interested int aking those as a new course.

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 7th, '06, 20:11

shiny plastic wrote:Is it hard to learn new characters for langauges such as korean, japanese etc? I'm really interested int aking those as a new course.
I wouldn't know about Korean, since I've never actively tried to learn any.. As for Japanese, I assume you're talking about the kanji characters. [They have hiragana and katakana as well, but those are relatively easy to pick up. I did it in a week or two.] Kanji are pretty difficult.. There are so many minute variations. Some are easier than others, but learning them would require some serious drilling. I wouldn't recommend learning much beyond the basic Japanese [or Chinese, since that's ENTIRELY kanji] unless you're serious about it.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » May 7th, '06, 20:15

shiny plastic wrote:Is it hard to learn new characters for langauges such as korean, japanese etc? I'm really interested int aking those as a new course.
Not for korean . I just started learning by myself a few weeks ago and it's fairily easy once you remeber the rules and the consonants/vowels although there is always going to be exceptions in writing it which makes it sorta difficult. I can read some easy, short stuff now although I don't know what they mean.

ilikedramas

Post by ilikedramas » May 7th, '06, 20:23

Only norwegian and english.. :-( :-(
I also understand swedish And Danish..

Alexander

Post by Alexander » May 7th, '06, 20:39

-Norwegian.. (native speaker)

-Swedish (can read it and I understand what they are saying... but I don't speak it.. no need.. as it is not very different from Norwegian)

-Danish (same as with Swedish)

-English ( Can read /speak and everything else..)

-Japanese (can read the kana and about 100 Kanji, very far from being fluent.. but could have a simple conversation in it... still learning... and I still rely on subs, but I understand some of it)

-German (can read it, and I understand some of it... but I'm very far from being fluent)

dhjfinch

HALF CASTE

Post by dhjfinch » May 10th, '06, 18:16

I'm half Korean and half English. i was born in Korea and lived there for 7 years. Then i moved to England cos my parents wanted me to learn English since i was hopeless learning English in Korea and also Koreans didn't really learn English in those days.
I've also lived in Germany for 2 years and kept studying it in school in England when i came back.

So i could say that I'm fluent in English, Korean, and German. (I'm proud of my languages)

I'm 18 just about to finish school yay. Planning to stay in Korea next year before i go to uni.

next2jmw

Post by next2jmw » May 10th, '06, 18:44

WOw, I am surprised. I thought most people on here know Japanese and Korean. I am fluent in Chinese... currently studying Japanese. I LOVe learning different languages... so if there is anyone who want to practice japanese. feel free to pm me! :)

mieko

Post by mieko » May 11th, '06, 07:30

Let's see here..
Japanese- I'm translator so it's what i mainly use.
Cantonese- A bit rusty, but can get by.
German- Pretty good.
Spanish- A little rusty..Mom taught me.
Italian-A little rusty, but passable.

pubbie

Post by pubbie » May 12th, '06, 10:09

I chose rely on subs, because I do. I wanted to learn Japanese and live there for a while (university student exchange crap) but after reading the **** a gaijin like Az has had to go through, I think I would start kicking ass. Really just fighting with every single person who stares at me, I'd punch grandma <insert common japanese name here> in the **** chest.

eiD

Post by eiD » May 14th, '06, 14:57

...not at list....malay.... :glare:
...japanese...but still rely the sub... :mrgreen:
....korean...little bit..... :P

Shinpoe

Post by Shinpoe » May 14th, '06, 20:29

Fluent in Korean and English, and functional in French. Hopefully, I'll be fluent in French as well since I have to take six hours a week of French at school :goggle:

tiramisu_m

Post by tiramisu_m » May 15th, '06, 11:19

cantonese! i can speak mandarin as well.. but not as fluent
im also alright at french.. learning it at school

narushinyak

Post by narushinyak » May 15th, '06, 19:57

wow very surprised to see not as many people can speak any of the three languages.. also least amount of people who knows how to speak Korean even though it seems like it has the most views etc on the forum section. O.o I'm just glad to see people who does not understand the language enjoys them too although it might not be as sad/funny to them w00t! ^^*

lovedorama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lovedorama » May 15th, '06, 20:07

Hi,

My native language is Korean... Left Korea and started college here in the States. It's so true when you say you lose it if you don't use it. Now, I feel more comfortable speaking English.

Korean: Read (only when reading comic books - GOONG!), write (only when I write e-mails to my aunt in Korea), speak (only with my mom).
English: Read, write (somewhat - haha), speak.

[img]http://www.hanryu-fs.org/hb.jpg[/img]
RULES OF LOVE - EPISODE 1
A Hanryu and KDA Production

Y_T

Post by Y_T » May 16th, '06, 08:40

Fluent: English, Cantonese, Mandarin.
Basic: Japanese, Vietnamese, French :D

gohan127

Post by gohan127 » May 16th, '06, 09:16

what's up with everybody speaking french??!
i'm from the caribean, no relations at all with anything asian, i just feel sooo attracted to asia, since the first time i saw anime.
i speak dutch, english and the native language on our island papiamentu :mrgreen:

hitorichan

Post by hitorichan » May 20th, '06, 22:34

haha. I speak Mandarin and English.
Some spanish and I know a couple of phrases in
Japanese and Korean. Chyea. 8B

aku-kitsune
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aku-kitsune » May 20th, '06, 23:21

Chinese (more specifically cantonese, but I'll still sit through a mandarin show... don't understand much) and English. I'm forgetting most of the French and German. I haven't done German in 4 years and French in two. But I have German TV. I can sit through anything though I must say... I like watching Indian shows. Pop Idol is good. No idea what so ever about whats going on. But I'm picking up japanese from anime and a phrase or two of Korean off Lost (not a drama I know)... I might try and learn to read Spanish I think will help with subbing.

sn0flake

Post by sn0flake » May 21st, '06, 01:48

well, chinese probably. i'm fluent in 3 languages, english, indonesian and chinese. and i kinda understand jap from animes/dramas (as in i understand what the people are talking abt, but i can't really speak it fluently), and kinda picking up korean now. lol

alice_5566

Post by alice_5566 » Jun 9th, '06, 22:28

i know chinese (cantonese) and other languages like german, english ect^^

gougz

Post by gougz » Jun 13th, '06, 22:22

i'm taking japanese lesson, and i speak english, french (of course for a french resident!) and a little german and arabic

Sweettap

Post by Sweettap » Jun 13th, '06, 22:29

i know english, french and vietnamese well.

I don't know korean well but would like to learn that language.

MEME(-_-)

Post by MEME(-_-) » Jun 15th, '06, 12:07

I speak and write in Arabic and English. 8)

I am trying my best to learn some Japanese, Korean and Chinese phrases for the movies and series :thumright: . But I am mixed up with them. :whistling:

myke

Post by myke » Jun 15th, '06, 17:19

Hai!!!
for me

Fluent : Malay, english
Basic : Mandarin, Japanese and a little Korean

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i will try my best to fluent all the basic language ...

Funan

Post by Funan » Jun 16th, '06, 14:28

I speak :

-French (native language)
-Khmer (native language)

I learn :

-English
-Spanish

I'll learn :

-Japanese
-Chinese (mandarin)

I'm only 17, I'll begin this summer to learn chinese and japanese. :-)

Kon Kon

Post by Kon Kon » Jun 16th, '06, 14:35

i'm native arabic speaker
so i speak arabic fluently, and because english is global language i speak english fluently also..
few japanese and korean words..

sshlady

Post by sshlady » Jun 17th, '06, 18:09

i speak fluent malay and english and umm almost fluent cantonese..basic korean and spanish phrases and a few japanese and arabic words...and oh, i know two things in mandarin--->chaiyok and wo ai ni.. :p

ydode

Post by ydode » Jun 20th, '06, 15:53

i can speak fluently in malay and english.. basic korean, japanese and german.. really want to learn korean, japanese and chinese more seriously.. :-)

LinkaDink

Post by LinkaDink » Jun 25th, '06, 20:47

I'm fluent in English, Vietnamese, and HTML.
I'm learning CSS and Spanish.
I want to learn Japanese, Mandarin, and other computer languages.

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog » Jun 26th, '06, 03:58

I am fluent in Chinese and English. Trying my best to learn Japanese, currently I can only understand (reading and writing inclusive) basic Japanese, jdramas and animes with subs help alot but I still have a long way to go.

CaptWatashi

Post by CaptWatashi » Jun 27th, '06, 03:33

I'm a native English speaker; but I've studied German, Spanish, Japanese, French, Italian, Chinese, and Russian. I can get by with my German (watching some German films without subtitles). I still require subtitles for all the others.

wingedsoulless

Post by wingedsoulless » Jun 27th, '06, 19:34

I'm native portuguese speaking, fluency in cantonese due to my parents.
Since i live in new york, i do speak english fluently as well.
Now traying to perfect my spanish and mandarim ... understandable but can't carry on a smooth conversation ... sadly !!!

jpoplover08

Post by jpoplover08 » Jun 27th, '06, 19:44

My first language is spanish but im best in English becuz i was born and raised in the US. I know basic japanese but i still need subs for some things. And i am trying to learn Korean. My Korean is actually getting better! And i hope to one day speak it well enough that when i visit Korea i wont be at loss for words when speaking to the natives or asking for help. :lol

HeyRichy

Post by HeyRichy » Jun 27th, '06, 21:34

I know English, Polish, Spanish, some Korean

I'm trying to learn Japanese. Does anybody know where I could find a quality site to study the Japanese language? I tried searching but couldn't find anything. (Or French) I've been on a vacation there and plan on going again someday so I need to study up.

ChristinePak

Korean

Post by ChristinePak » Jun 27th, '06, 22:01

I know korean (i'm half korean, and was forced to learn it when I was little so I could speak to my family), and I have to learn Japanese for my major, and I just got back from studying in China.. but know very little Chinese just basic questions and phrase~

Mitgott

Post by Mitgott » Jun 27th, '06, 22:31

Fluent: German (native language)

I should be able to speak English fluently but since I finished school, it's getting worse >.> I have no problems to understand what I read and hear, but writing and speaking... Maybe I just think too much about it and that's why everything I say sounds wrong xD

Basic: Japanese (currently studying)
(French - I learned it for 5 years, but I forgot most of it during the last 2 years)

And some random vocab from Latin, Chinese, Korean.

I'll begin studying Korean in October, looking forward to it *_*

Spectr0

Post by Spectr0 » Jun 27th, '06, 22:55

I'd like to learn japanese, korean, cantonese and mandarin. That would be one hell of an accomplishment if I were to succeed in it, starting with japanese this fall.

I'm so envious of you guys that have skilled toungues of asian languages, I only wish I had discovered my newly found interests a couple of years ago.

yumiko_ai

Post by yumiko_ai » Jul 10th, '06, 23:45

Cantonese - fluently (had to learn it to speak with my grandparents)

Mandarin - I understand enough if it goes slowly, and not too much slang is used

Japanese - fluent-ish, there is some slang that confuses me, and if its spoken in too quickly

Korean - Angyong haseyo! I know random words in Korean because of my friends and Ex

French - Random phrases and such with my 5 years of learning it...

I want to be better in Japanese, I currently still need subs in order to perfectly understand slang/quick talking... And I WISH I could speak/understand Korean!

Well, next year I'll be taking Korean night school, Japanese Saturday school, so hopefully I can learn more kanji, I suck at that, my Hiragana etc is fluent, but my kanji knowledge is severely limited... :lol