will you marry someone with different religion

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

will you marry someone with different religion

YES
182
65%
NO
96
35%
 
Total votes: 278

User avatar
cutepiekiss
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:05 am
Location: malaysia

Postby cutepiekiss » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:29 am

:cry:yes, I would get married someone outside my religion. :mrgreen:
Last edited by cutepiekiss on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
gabrielf14
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Postby gabrielf14 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:31 pm

Religion should never be an issue when choosing a mate, I believe. The person's character, how they feel about you, what type of person they are should be considered but not how/what they believe/worship. Religion, I believe, has been more of a divider than a uniter. Due to it a person's chose of a potential mate has decreased.

Luckily for us we are educated enough and live in an advanced era for us to be more open-minded on our potential mate's "form of worship or believes".

On that note let me introduce myself: I am of Pakistani descent, religion wise I am a Muslim (but who cares about the religion right?). I prefer girls from China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines (the Far East basically). So if you are interested we can initially chat or email each other and get to know each other.

My email is: gabriel.asim@gmail.com.

User avatar
atxtomtom
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:13 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby atxtomtom » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:50 pm

i don't see how'd it'd affect anything.... maybe if she was morman.. that might be a prob

liku
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Italy/China

Postby liku » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:09 pm

well unless one of the two parts force the other one into his/her religion it's all ok....

User avatar
ocha otoko
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby ocha otoko » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:11 am

lol..this has been quite a thread to read. first we had someone generalising the crap out of religion and then we have lil stab comments here and there, but only a few have really answer the question for themselves...

well as for me, my answer would be - yes, but it depends. it depends on the affect of the religion on our relationship and on me as an individual. but certainly this is something that you can really only deal with as you come to, because anything can happen really...things change.

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Postby albertoavena » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:29 am

Me personally, I wouldn't marry anyone outside of my religion. My religion (Jehovah's Witness) teaches us that we should only marry in the truth (as the bible states).

If you want to argue or anything, please don't. That's just what I've been taught. Nothing is going to change my mind.
Image

Starlightkitty7
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Postby Starlightkitty7 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I think its perfectly fine. Some people say that it won't work out b/c its hard but my mom and dad are difffrent religions and our family is perfectly fine. ^__^ I know for a fact that it should work out....unless there are other problems/diffrent cercumstnaces?? But...it shouldn't matter.

xkawaiibabii07
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Postby xkawaiibabii07 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:40 pm

if u love em the religion shouldn't matter im a catholic n i like a christian dude nothing wrong with it but he's more religious then i am he's trying to get me to convert but hes gona do the converting lolz

User avatar
ocha otoko
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby ocha otoko » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:40 am

yeah true, i mean it just depends how you prioritise what's important to you... if you love them above all then hey there should be no problem...but if you relgion takes your cake...then what can you do... but anyone who can find a balance with what they do ...then you'll have it good...

User avatar
halalsushi
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:28 am
Location: IN YOUR PANTS

Postby halalsushi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 pm

yes
Last edited by halalsushi on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Postby albertoavena » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 am

True, I guess it can get pretty difficult raising them with both cultures in them. But also, what if one of them (the husband or wife) decide to choose their spouses heritage? Like, I guess my example. I am moving to Japan in about 3 or so years to work and live and would like to get married. I'm Mexican but I could really care less about that. If I move to Japan, I would probably raise them the Japanese way and just teach them in Japanese. Let's just say I'm not really patriatic or anything. I mean, I do speak Spanish and English fluenlty and hopefully Japanese soon, so by living in Japan, I don't think I'll speak much of anything except Japanese.

I understand what your saying though. About you wanting to marry an Arab women. These days, it's not really uncommon to see intermarriages. But like you said, in the Arab culture, maybe it's more traditional? I used to think the same way. Marrying someone within my own culture just so there wouldn't be so much problems. But I realized that was kind of dumb though...Who knows...marriage is still pretty far away so it's pretty early to say who I'm going to marry...(sorry for the off-topic post)
Image

User avatar
halalsushi
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:28 am
Location: IN YOUR PANTS

Postby halalsushi » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:34 am

no.,
Last edited by halalsushi on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gabrielf14
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Postby gabrielf14 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:57 am

My personal view on this is that as people get more educated and in contact with different cultures, the issue of a person they like having a religion different from them does not really constitute their feelings for each other or their future together.

How they feel for each other, their understanding for each other and their desire to be together should only be based on each other's mutual feelings not what each other believes in. I do think this thinking is more prevalent than not in the new generation and its a very good thing. What a person's religious belief is is usually something to satisfy a part of him that can't be satisfied in this material world. Anyway that's what I think.

Off-topic I am a Pakistani (Muslim) but prefer girls from the Far East (China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam etc) and nothings going to change that, not even if our religious believes are different which is very likely. On a similar religion note, I have lived in several different Arab countries and the attitudes of those "Muslim brothers" towards me or my parents and siblings was atrocious. It was I believe directed towards our ethnic background but we were all "Muslim". I guess those events have really changed my attitude towards some "Muslims" (Arabs). I think for some people ethnic background is far more of an obstacle point than their religious believes.

Halalsushi I wish you the best of luck in finding a good Arab girl. I hope you do find one. If not maybe I can help you find a Pakistani girl (there are some nice ones here). If you know any Japanese or other Far Eastern girls (between late 20s and 30 yrs old) who would like a Pakistani guy let me know. Thanks. Been trying for a while with no success

Anyway Halalsushi or anyone else if you want to exchange emails my address is:
gabriel.asim@gmail.com.

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: A Reply to Alberto

Postby albertoavena » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:12 am

halalsushi wrote:I would say if you were to marry, you should definitely have your children learn your langauge and culture also. To not do so could result in major identity problems and confusion. If a child is aware of both his/her parents' cultures and speak both of their languages, then he/she would be able to choose which side he identifies with the most instead of feeling isolated. That is just my thought on this issue but other people may think otherwise.

As for my preference for Arab women, it relates to their virtue of chastity moreso than looks or anything else. I do find them to be intriguingly beautiful and very attractive, but there are beautiful women in every ethnic group. Let us take Japanese women, for example. Some of them are very sexy and smoking hot, but on the other hand they are materialistic, shallow, narrow-minded, atheistic, unchaste and immoral. Having grown up amongst them, I can tell you they also play many mind games which I cannot understand. They also gossip a lot, are very jealous, and full of pride but they portray themselves in the public as angelic creatures. If they hate you, they will stab you in the back while smiling in your face and apologizing at the same time. I am not making any of this up. Not every single Japanese woman is like this, but quite a few are.

Of course, there are always exceptions. Vicious Arab women and virtuous Japanese women do exist and this includes the rest of womankind. Some may think I am crazy, but... Even if the finest-looking woman in the world were to come before me, I would not go for her unless she shared at least some of my beliefs. Her ethnicity is no issue for me, but her way of life is. In the end, I will just marry a woman who possesses dignity and honour - regardless of her skin colour. If she happens to be Arab, Japanese, Hispanic, European, African or any other ethnicity, then so be it.

Oh, and by the way... Within the last two weeks, I have seen two Japanese-Latina couples. One Japanese man and his Latina wife had three sons. The other couple had an older daughter who looked mixed and an infant son who looked totally Japanese! I knew a girl whose father was Japanese and mother was Argentinan. I also knew a girl whose father is Mexican and mother is Korean. There are many Japanese from places such as Brasil, Peru, and Argentna who speak Spanish (except for Portugese-speaking Brasil). Actually, the majority of Japanese living abroad reside in South America more than any other region. Their culture is the same as any other South American and many of them speak Japanese also. They are many Japanese-Brasilians living in Japan. Many of them work in the car industry and own Brasilian restaraunts. Perhaps you can marry one of these women? There would be no cultural conflict and your children would have the best of both worlds.


Wow, thanks for the great post. Yeah, actually, when I was in Japan, we met a family that was similar to that. The father was from Peru and the Mother was Japanese (and a very good Spanish speaker I might add). They're children looked more Japanese but with a hint of Hispanic looks in them. It was really interesting. We mostly met people from South America like you said, we noticed that too. But mostly from Peru more than anywhere else though. They were explaining to us that a lot of Peruvians have some Japanese blood in them and most of them go to Japan to go back to their roots or something like that and get to know their Japanese side. (Although many of them are fake and just say that to live in Japan. :glare:) We even went to a Brazilian restaurant in Kobe, so that was pretty surprising to see. But who knows, like I said, there's still plenty of time to think about marriage. In my opinion, I still think that Japanese women are the most beautiful women in world though. But I can end up marrying just about anyone from any country and race, and that wouldn't be bad at all..

gabrielf14- I'm sure you'll find a nice Japanese girl(or Far Eastern girl) , that makes two of us. Off-topic, but everyone thinks that, when they first see me, they think I'm Muslim or Arab or someone from India.And I guess I don't blame them I really do look that way. They get really surprised that I can speak Spanish.. :lol At a gas station one time, the guy at the was Muslim and told me I looked familiar and asked me if we've met before. So that was pretty interesting and funny. I get that a lot..I never get offended though :-) It's actually pretty neat..

Again, sorry for being off-topic..
Image

Spectr0
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Spectr0 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:41 am

I have no religion, so yes.

User avatar
DragonEmperor
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Maricopa Arizona

Postby DragonEmperor » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:49 pm

I always respect my girlfriends culture if you love that person nothing else matters

Yajuu
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:52 am

Postby Yajuu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 pm

There is no way I will marry a person who follows any religion. I value intellectual honesty, and there would be an irreconcilable mismatch of values between myself and someone who chooses to live her life in a state of delusion.

That said, I do not think all religious folks are fanatics or half-wits. In fact I have several religious friends, all of whom behave like ordinary, rational people.

nikochanr3 wrote:making fun of people's religions isn't cool dude. it's disrespectful regardless of your beliefs.


I disagree. Satire is a perfectly legitimate form of criticism. It is said that the KKK was effectively destroyed by a campaign of ridicule; the same strategy might be effective against religion. The way to drive religion out of politics is to make religious views so embarrassing to espouse publicly that all politicians will steer clear of them.

User avatar
sweetsamurai
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: england
Contact:

Postby sweetsamurai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 pm

I believe in God - i'm not brainwashed......... :scratch: ....I think..........Adverts are brainwashing!!!!! Make your own mind up :thumright:

I won't marry anyone - purely on the reason that marriage is poo.lol.

darkchrno
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Postby darkchrno » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:53 pm

I will marry them and forces them to convert to my religion :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

User avatar
EVE_in_BLACK
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:06 am
Location: UAE

Postby EVE_in_BLACK » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:40 am

I won't marry anyone who isn't muslim

your religion is your believes
Image

darkchrno
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Postby darkchrno » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:05 pm

EVE_in_BLACK wrote:I won't marry anyone who isn't muslim

your religion is your believes
you won't or you can't? :unsure: because i was told that islamic must only marry islamic :P if you are to marry other religion it's either you convert to other religion or you convert them to islamic :thumright:

User avatar
gabrielf14
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Postby gabrielf14 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:37 am

What about the quality or type of person he/she is? Does religion determine that? Heck no!

Rather than looking at what that person believes in, find out if they are decent human beings, will be there for you, will love you no matter what, will support you in all forms, will be a good parent to your children? Religion does not determine any of those attributes, rather its the person's own character that makes him/her like that not what they believe in. Even if they have the same believes as you but are complete assholes, does it justify it, having mutual believes?

I think as people get more educated, open minded and start discovering the vast cultures inhabiting our world, they won't put a restriction like religion in locating a soul-mate. It really restricts your options and there is no guarantee that person is right for you or even a decent human being just because they share the same religion as you.

I am a Muslim myself but when looking for a soul-mate have no desire to see if she is a Muslim too ( I mean don't know if a Chinese, Korean, Japanese or any other Far Eastern Muslim girl exists). I would rather that she likes me for me.

Marriage is a compromise between the guy and the girl. Let's not put a huge stumbling block called "Same Religion" in front of us before we actually find that special person. If we are intelligent enough I truly believe that once we discover that person the notion of whether we share the same ideologies will not change how we feel for each other.

User avatar
Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: USA

Postby Auty » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am

What about the quality or type of person he/she is? Does religion determine that? Heck no!

are you kidding? when i get married i'm definitely marrying a muslim man, soley on the fact that a practicing muslim man (who practices CORRECTLY) is the perfect quality type of person. :blink

^^do you believe then that a muslim girl can marry someone who isn't muslim? i bet you don't. since you are a guy of course your outlook will be that simple. :roll

Rather than looking at what that person believes in, find out if they are decent human beings, will be there for you, will love you no matter what, will support you in all forms, will be a good parent to your children? Religion does not determine any of those attributes, rather its the person's own character that makes him/her like that not what they believe in. Even if they have the same believes as you but are complete assholes, does it justify it, having mutual believes?

oh man. since you are muslim.. wow. if a person believes in something (i'll go muslim since u r) then all of the following things you mentioned.. will be there. because following islam correctly calls for all of that. religion does determine those attributes, its just up to the person if they are going to follow it correctly or not.

by your overall opinion i would have to conclude that you are not very into your religion.. because i mean if you really believed in the qu'ran then you would understand how mutual beliefs is important. :unsure:

i have nothing against other religions or anything.. just wanted to point out how what you said confused the hell out of me lol.

Just my 2 cents :salut:

User avatar
EVE_in_BLACK
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:06 am
Location: UAE

Postby EVE_in_BLACK » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:35 am

darkchrno wrote:
EVE_in_BLACK wrote:I won't marry anyone who isn't muslim

your religion is your believes
you won't or you can't? :unsure: because i was told that islamic must only marry islamic :P if you are to marry other religion it's either you convert to other religion or you convert them to islamic :thumright:[/quote

it is prohapited in islam but some muslim womens do that (civil marriage) specially in India.
Image

User avatar
gabrielf14
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Postby gabrielf14 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:52 am

Auty, since you are in the States have you actually met any Muslim men outside the States in a Muslim dominated country? Try that first then come back with that argument that "if he practices Islam he will be a good person" or something like that (sorry can't be arsed to copy or quote your whole argument.

Anyway my point was a person's religious believes does not determine how good of a person he is no matter how good of a practitioner he is. Sorry if you miscued my objective. I hope you find a nice faithful practicing Muslim who is everything you believe he should be but I have my doubts. Since you are a Muslim (and yes so am I) you might be imagining other Muslim males through rosy tinted. Unfortunately I have seen the world with a very objective view.

That's why I argued that a person's religious believes or how good of a practitioner he/she is doesn't guarantee their effectiveness of how good of a spouse or lover they will be. Ultimately there is no absolute. You might find the perfect person but differing believes or the one with the same believes and if you find the latter good for you. For me the believes wouldn't matter just the person.

Sorry if my views upset you. I may have witnessed a harsher world than you have.

User avatar
Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: USA

Postby Auty » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:03 am

why yes, yes i have. :D i have spent quite some time in egypt. in fact, i have several good friends there. in fact, the best muslim guy i have ever met i met there, in my opinion.

i dont think you understood anything i was saying. if someone is following islam correctly, they would follow all of those good atributes, so it doesn't matter if someone prays 5 times a day, gives zakat, and fasts the whole year.. if they treat people bad, their wife bad, neglect family duties, that would make a bad muslim. if he is REALLY muslim, he would follow and be a good person. hence why before considering marriage you sit down and talk about their views, find out what kind of person he is with his friends, ect ect. understood now?

don't worry i will find a good person lol. i'm not seeing things through "rosy-tinted" glasses. continuing my life with a non muslim would not get me the results i want in my life (following islam correctly). i don't really understand your view because i mean if you really believe in all islam says you wouldn't be saying mutual beliefs aren't important. that's what puzzles me. but then again i shouldn't assume that you are a practicing muslim..

i don't know why you see muslim guys so badly, i mean you are muslim, are you saying you are bad? hahaha.

your views don't upset me no worries.. can't be upset but something that makes no sense yea?

and as for seeing a harsher world than i have.. don't be so quick to judge your so called "superiorness" :roll

User avatar
wai_muna
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm
Location: malaysia
Contact:

Postby wai_muna » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:58 pm

i used to have a boyfriend different religion with me...but about marrying him..im not sure...but now im single but we still a friend

User avatar
Miss World
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: UAE

Postby Miss World » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 am

I wouldn't, even if I could - not just saying this because I'm a Muslim.. different beliefes could lead to a clash at any point. its just like when you meet someone from a different culture there are things that you wouldn't find right, while the other person would find it absolutly normal. I'd prefer marrying a guy who comes from the same background as I am, same religion, same nationality..



** this will only be understood by Emiratie girls ^_^ .... 7alat el thoub rg3tah mnh o feeh ;) **

User avatar
milleu87
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:31 am
Location: nashville,tn

Postby milleu87 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:27 am

Religion is very important to me. I wouldn't want to get marry with somebody who is in different religion than me because yes i'm a muslim i need to marry somebody who is a muslim too. However that wouldn't stop me from having bf from different religion.You never know where it might go and so why don't give it a chance? I come from a muslim dominant country which is malaysia.

Malaysian people are relatively cool about marrying someone with different religion well as long as they convert.and Malaysian consists of chinese and indian. Coming from a mixed parentage my mom didn't see it as a problem to convert to Islam because I don't know since in malaysia we know each other religion relatively well so it's not really problem to convert I supposed.we are very tolerant of each culture. and in fact my family still celebrate chinese new year and go to whatever buddhist/christian/chinese occasion that my mom's family celebrate.

Overall I think marrying somebody who practice his religion well is not that bad. Just look at who he is first and I agree with auty that somebody who follows religion but neglect his wife,family and social is just a bad person that follows religion irrationally. Be moderate since that is the best way.

I hope i make some point.I know I'm just rambling but bear with me.hehehe

User avatar
outcast
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:45 am

Postby outcast » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:38 am

famous ppl like maha baygadar who is Muslim & married 2 the great poet yousef el khal who is christian.

ImageImage

their son yousef el kahal jr, who is famous model & actor.
ImageImage


his sister,who is also actress.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
outcast
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:45 am

Postby outcast » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:46 am

Image
Last edited by outcast on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Miss World
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: UAE

Postby Miss World » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:09 pm

outcast, its not a matter of getting "vanished"... when you are a muslim, its a matter of halal and haram (you know this already).. so if a muslim woman marries a non-muslim man, it won't be accepted as a marriage and it would be considered like zina.. so, its haram... a matter of sunnie or shiea, its not religion its a sect thing.. and you would know who is suitable and who is not :)

scott12199
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:13 am
Location: Somewhere in California

Postby scott12199 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:35 pm

yes... what does religion have to do with love?

furious
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Ask Me

Postby furious » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:58 pm

I guess its all about the culture and the way your parents brought you up and thier expectations. For me personally I know my parents wouldnt mind me marrying anyone from any race as long as we are "happy". However, I do know that they would be more "relieved" if I married someone from my own race because they would feel we understand each other better and so on and so forth no cultural diffrences etc etc.

User avatar
outcast
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:45 am

Postby outcast » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:12 pm

I can't get married someone, with diffrent religion ,its impossible even if i love him we can't survive together, call me outdated but, even with love , life will be a living hell.
Image

User avatar
Miss World
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: UAE

Postby Miss World » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:26 pm

scott12199, you can fall in love no matter what the religion is, but the topic is about marriage.. I guess that before taking this serious step, you'll have to decide if its right and balanced.. its like when you have a gf that you love greatly, but there are certain things that no matter how much you love her, you can't get over 'em.. these things would eventually have an effect wether you find it ok to get married or not :)

User avatar
blamvitaburst
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: USA

Postby blamvitaburst » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Basically everyone's religion is different from mine, so if I ever get married it would have to be to someone with a different religion. :P
Religion makes bad things happen in this world, though, so I'd hope that anyone I got to know well in any way (friends, etc.) wouldn't take religion too seriously. Open minded people are about the only people worth hanging out with. Everyone else is so busy condemning the world for being evil that they just can't see the beauty that's out there.
:O
Mmmmmm! Vitamins are good!
:cheers: :wub: :cheers: :wub: :cheers:

charisse_yee
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Philippines

Postby charisse_yee » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 pm

Marrying someone with a different religion takes a lot of understanding and compromising...i know for sure because I am married to someone who is. He is a Roman Catholic and I am a born-again Christian. Our love for each other stood out that he agreed to have a Christian wedding. Good thing is that we both honor and serve the same God, our Lord Jesus Christ. He also attends our services during Sundays so that we could be together. On special occasions, I also attend masses and other Catholic celebrations because I know it is important to him. You both have to take time in discussing this issue because it will greatly affect your relationship, including the baptism rites your children will receive and so on and so fourth....I am truly blessed to be loved and to love a man who, in spite of our differences, we can make it through.

gameday
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:18 pm

Postby gameday » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I don't believe an any sort of mystical being, and I think it would be tough to bridge that gap in a relationship, but I think I might be willing to give it a try, at least.

Pekana
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

Postby Pekana » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:35 am

Hi there. :salut:

Funny that I'd make my first post in a drama forum on a topic that's unrelated to TV drama. I always get roped in by the controversial subjects.

Here's my two cents.

I was brought up in a non-practicing Christian family. Since my parents thought that one doesn't need to belong to any religion in order to believe in God I was never christened. I am non-religious, but I have my moral beliefs and ideas. Would I marry a religious person? It would absolutely depend on their character and whether our basic values and principles don't clash. Any attempts to convert me to any kind of religion would meet with indifference at best. Otherwise I'm just a live and let live kind of person, so as long as our values wouldn't be on the opposite side of the spectrum I see no problem.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:35 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Postby Néa Vanille » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:18 am

It really isn't such a big problem if both are reasonable about it. One of my ex-boyfriends was Christian and I'm an aheist, so sometimes, when I would write a test or something, he would say, "I'll pray for you." And I'd say, "yeah.... you do that." :lol

We did split up in the end, but it wasn't because he was Christian.

furious
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Ask Me

Postby furious » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 pm

It's not a big problem for me either. I guess it all depends on how a person has been brought up. For example since I was a kid I mixed with people from diffrent races and stuff so I have absolutely no problems communicating with them. But there are some of my friends that only like to mix with a particular race very clanish type and those are the people that will have trouble with marrying another person from another religon or race.

User avatar
Julz
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 am
Location: Seattle Wa.

Postby Julz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:38 pm

I defends what kind of religion! and if he/she really love you he/she will follow you!

User avatar
NADZ
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:27 am
Location: UAE

Postby NADZ » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:45 pm

if he/she really love u they r gana try thier best to be with u
Image
Image

User avatar
NADZ
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:27 am
Location: UAE

Postby NADZ » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:48 pm

Julz wrote:I defends what kind of religion! and if he/she really love you he/she will follow you!

u took the words out of my mouth
Image

Image

User avatar
Julz
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 am
Location: Seattle Wa.

Postby Julz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:09 pm

NADZ wrote:
Julz wrote:I defends what kind of religion! and if he/she really love you he/she will follow you!

u took the words out of my mouth
Hmmm you think so to? :lol

arienmarie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 12:41 pm

religion and marriage

Postby arienmarie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:15 am

This is a pretty interesting topic for me since Im currently 'dating' a Muslim and Im Roman Catholic. I for one, dont see religion as having any bearing on our relationship. But it does need to have that extra tolerance from both sides.

As for Gozen's comments, we have to give it to her, she does make a pretty good point about religion bringing out intolerance an narrowmindedness in people. An most religions do denigrate women (Sorry, but this is the way I see it). But it doesnt have to be that way. We can change things. People change all the time. Thus, I have faith.:)

fearspooky
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: tokyo, japan

Postby fearspooky » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 am

i dont think it matters, as long as both of the people arent trying to convert each other because i think that that is what causes the problems.

i was born in japan and raised "agnostic" and i absolutely hate it when a person tries to convert me to their religion ><

its funny though.. cuz theres a good amount of parents in japan that want their son/daughter to marry another person that is japanese, instead of worrying about what their religion is. i guess its cuz most of the people in japan are either agnostic or shinto... luckily, my moms parents were tolerant in letting her marry my dad who is an american. ^^

oh and my mom is non praciticing shinto who is interested in the bible (eh?) and my dad is non practicing catholic. i have never once heard them talk about religion, and thats how i would want my marriage to be lol.

User avatar
xbabygmonsterx
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:59 am
Location: Modesto, CALI

Postby xbabygmonsterx » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:04 am

if the two of you are really strongly involved in your different religions, it could affect the way you view some of their habits and stuff. I think it depends on the person, but I personally prefer not to
from FRIENDSHIP

[A] friend is a sane man who exercises not my ingenuity but me. My friend gives me entertainment without requiring me to soop or to lisp, or to mask myself

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
gummonster
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: USA

Postby gummonster » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 pm

I don't think so, i'm Catholic and my family is really strict about it so NO
Image

marie_23
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:11 am

Postby marie_23 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm

A friend of mine has one parent that is Catholic and the other Muslim ...they seem have a very okay and unique family...some how it worked out fine for them I guess!

User avatar
Kempo
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:12 pm
Location: France ------> Paris

Postby Kempo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Shure, because religion doesn't mean intolerance!
When you love someone you don't ask for her/his religion :wub:
Gozen wrote:I wouldn't marry anybody who seriously followed any religion at all. If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel. Their parents are likely to be even worse. For me, religion = bad attitude to everyone who doesn't follow it, and most especially religion = anti-woman. I've never come across a religion that didn't try to sujugate, humiliate or discriminate against women. That's because religions are man-made and therefore subject to all the petty-minded and illogical practices that men can come up with. No, that's not an anti-male rant, it's just what happens when human nature is left in charge of the way people are meant to live.

I'm atheist but I'm chocked because Religions are respect and philosophy
Girl before talking try to read some holy book!
Some people make of religion extremism or integrism and that bad, but have some respect for believier!
Image

sveta
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby sveta » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 pm

lol due to the fact that i'm only dating one type of race, i have pretty much no choice but to marry someone who's christian or doesn't follow religion. My prefference would be to marry someone who doesn't have religion. I am Jewish by ethnicity, i was raised in Russia and wasn't raised having a religion. Its my opinion basically and please respect it: those who marry someone who are similar to them are interbreeding. THat's my opinion.

KyeYu
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 am

Postby KyeYu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am

Gozen wrote:My statement is that all religions denigrate women.

Blimey, do you even know for sure how many religions there are in this whole world? It is expected that you have plenty of hate posts in this thread.

1. Does the religion allow men and women to worship at the same time in the same place? Muslims?
2. Does the religion allow women to preach as well as men? Catholics or Jewish? Any female bishops?
3. Are men and women allowed the same freedoms, the same assumption of decency? Taoism or Buddhism? A female's underwear is said to be unlucky or that she is unclean during "that" time of the month. She is not allowed to worship or enter the temple during this time.
4. Is there an assumption that women are tainted, and a corrupting influence, within that religion? Christianity? Eve & the apple remember?

Hi people, I am not making a statement here but just providing some information about religions & why Gozen may have expressed herself so vehemently. As a nonchalant individual to the subject of religion, I decided to post what I know. Please do correct me if I am mistaken.

In answer to the topic, my answer would seriously depend on how serious the other party is about her/his religion. I may be nonchalant about religions but I will not allow myself to be coerced into believing in something I care nothing about.

Bodha
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:09 pm

Postby Bodha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:40 pm

AngelicLayer wrote:PEOPLE ( MAYBE I SHOULD CALL SUCH PEOPLE PEOPLE ) WHO DON´T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RELIGION SHOULD JUST SHUT UP

THIS TOPIC DOESN´T FIT YOU!!
WHAT´S WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR RELIGION? GOZEN, YOU WANTED TO KNOW ANY RELIGION WHICH IS GOOD TO WOMEN, WELL IT´S BEEING BUDDHIST!!


Well, I suggest you better shut up about Buddhism then, because Buddha didn't want women to come along with him due to their potential ability to divert the men that he gladly took along (as if it's the fault of women if men feel sexually attracted to them). He only agreed to later on, and only if the nuns would cater to the priests.
Not to mention that he left his wife in a most inopportune moment, but fairly enough, that was not part of the religion itself.

@Helanite: It's also not quite correct that men and women have an equal standing in the Mormon faith, because in that case, women would be allowed to marry more than one man, and as far as I know, that is not the case.

@Chashek: you said that there is, according to the book quote you once found, no proof to Atheism. Well, I have no actual proof, but a lovely mind game: if God is really all-powerful and can do -anything-, he should be ablle to create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift. If he can't lift it, he is not all-powerful, if he can't create it, he isn't either. ^_~

As for the general question - I think religion can be more or less a guideline by which you shape your opinions on certain topics, so this is more a question about whether I would marry someone who has such and such opinions on a topic (more defined by his or her religion the more pious he or she is). My problem with a pious person is that they might for example believe in a talking snake offering a magic apple to the only woman alive at that point. The more pious you are, the less you rationally think about what you believe in, and the less critically you review each opinion. If you really live by "the book", whichever you fancy, then you just don't discuss for example homosexuality, because your religion tells you what to think. And that, I believe, is what Gozen and other users pointed out to be the intolerant part, that you accept a truth and then rationalise only to keep that truth alive, even if it is ridiculous.
While I cannot rationally or emotionally understand belief, I can respect it, but if you're getting married, you will probably also want children, and what should they learn from their parents then? This is the actual problem to me, that the differences shouldn't clash in the next generation. In any case... in general, as long as I am left alone with my (lack of) religion and not attacked in some way, I could live with a person belonging to a (different) religion. The point where my opinions are seen as harmful or are neglected in the bringing up of children is where I draw the line.

Now I know why I never write in forums... my posts end up too long. Sorry about it, those were my 5.95$ on it (approximately, it's on sale).

User avatar
SinFan
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: on a soft cloud sleeping <3

Postby SinFan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:10 pm

yes I would...
but I don't think I would take over his religion..
it depends on how strict religious he is..
I'm an atheist..I just don't like to live by strict rules
I can't change totally just for love, for marriage...
I guess I would pass on my love to keep my freedom...

User avatar
wallflower
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:28 am

Postby wallflower » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, I have no problem with marrying somebody with a different religion as long as they're not TOO religious. Like going overboard with everything. I'm agnostic, so I'm on the edge of beliving and not believing God, so I really have no problem if someone I love tries to persuade me to or not to<3 I'm confused anyway. xD

User avatar
hunterkirualeorio
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:07 pm
Location: Earth

Postby hunterkirualeorio » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:25 pm

hmm i would unless she is in a cult or something

soulrogue
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:48 pm
Location: India(<*-*>)

Postby soulrogue » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:28 pm

its all about compromises..
well thats why its marriage!

User avatar
xianne
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:24 am
Location: Philippines

Postby xianne » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:37 am

gummonster wrote:I don't think so, i'm Catholic and my family is really strict about it so NO


I agree with her...sometimes you need to think of other people close to you and thier feelings. About your partner if he really loves then you too can talk and compromise after all you love each other.

User avatar
nivek
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:14 am
Location: NYC / Osaka

Postby nivek » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:21 am

I'm a strict anti-organized-religion person. So, probably no.

User avatar
mun78
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:23 am

Postby mun78 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 am

Bodha wrote:
AngelicLayer wrote:PEOPLE ( MAYBE I SHOULD CALL SUCH PEOPLE PEOPLE ) WHO DON´T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RELIGION SHOULD JUST SHUT UP

THIS TOPIC DOESN´T FIT YOU!!
WHAT´S WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR RELIGION? GOZEN, YOU WANTED TO KNOW ANY RELIGION WHICH IS GOOD TO WOMEN, WELL IT´S BEEING BUDDHIST!!


Well, I suggest you better shut up about Buddhism then, because Buddha didn't want women to come along with him due to their potential ability to divert the men that he gladly took along (as if it's the fault of women if men feel sexually attracted to them). He only agreed to later on, and only if the nuns would cater to the priests.
Not to mention that he left his wife in a most inopportune moment, but fairly enough, that was not part of the religion itself.

@Helanite: It's also not quite correct that men and women have an equal standing in the Mormon faith, because in that case, women would be allowed to marry more than one man, and as far as I know, that is not the case.

@Chashek: you said that there is, according to the book quote you once found, no proof to Atheism. Well, I have no actual proof, but a lovely mind game: if God is really all-powerful and can do -anything-, he should be ablle to create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift. If he can't lift it, he is not all-powerful, if he can't create it, he isn't either. ^_~

As for the general question - I think religion can be more or less a guideline by which you shape your opinions on certain topics, so this is more a question about whether I would marry someone who has such and such opinions on a topic (more defined by his or her religion the more pious he or she is). My problem with a pious person is that they might for example believe in a talking snake offering a magic apple to the only woman alive at that point. The more pious you are, the less you rationally think about what you believe in, and the less critically you review each opinion. If you really live by "the book", whichever you fancy, then you just don't discuss for example homosexuality, because your religion tells you what to think. And that, I believe, is what Gozen and other users pointed out to be the intolerant part, that you accept a truth and then rationalise only to keep that truth alive, even if it is ridiculous.
While I cannot rationally or emotionally understand belief, I can respect it, but if you're getting married, you will probably also want children, and what should they learn from their parents then? This is the actual problem to me, that the differences shouldn't clash in the next generation. In any case... in general, as long as I am left alone with my (lack of) religion and not attacked in some way, I could live with a person belonging to a (different) religion. The point where my opinions are seen as harmful or are neglected in the bringing up of children is where I draw the line.

Now I know why I never write in forums... my posts end up too long. Sorry about it, those were my 5.95$ on it (approximately, it's on sale).



oh come on , do you actually think the story of Adam and Eve was against women? What the heck is wrong is wrong with you? Do you think Christianity is against women too, because that's totally not true? Anyways, isn't it more about your beliefs than your religion? Chasek, what do you know about God? All you know is that he is perfect and can do anything, but what makes you think that you can define who God really is , when you're not perfect yourself. Are you God? If you're not God than you cannot really say anything. When it comes to things likes this , it's based on faith, not rationality. Not everything in this world, has to be reasonably approached, and not everything that happens in this world rationally occurs, so your way of approaching this matter is totally irrelevant and disgusting. Do you think people believe in the Adam and Eve story because it's just 'written' in the Bible? No, they've experienced things in their life that are related to that story. The story teaches more about a snake and woman. You should know that (if you actually read it). And you think the Bible brings down woman. Have you ever read the Bible. Do you know the story about Ruth and how she took her people out of captivity? Do you the story in the Bible about how Mary was a virgin and she accepted Jesus Christ to be her son? Do you how many books in the Bible in which men were made foolish? Do you think the Bible was just written by men and not inspired by God? You see you can't get past this line , because the line separates rationality from faith. When faith is involved, it doesn't matter how many times you go to Church or how many times you try to become like a preacher. It doesn't matter how many times you ask questions about God, whether he is a live or not, because you've gone through things that shows he is there. It's in your spirit. It's not even about religion or following what your religious friends are doing. It's all about faith and it's all about your relationship with God. Even now, you're breathing, you're typing on the computer, that is proof enough that he is alive. You're thinking, you have a personality, what started all that? You can't say it was when you were born, because who started your mom? What's the real lesson in the story of Adam and Eve (regardless of what actually happened)? Ask yourself this. Making God into some fool, will only make you into a fool.


Yes, you guys can tell me I'm a hardcore Christian. Go ahead. But I'm tired of all this crap, people talking trash and later on regretting it, and they find themselves in a situation they can't get out of. You can say what you want about God making a bolder and crap like that. God probably can or can't make a bolder, but that doesn't prove he is the weakest or doesn't exist. If he can make the bolder that means he is the most powerful and perfect, because no one else can. If he can't make the bolder, it's because he's the most powerful being in the universe and it's impossible to make such a bolder . That's all I gotta say to you, even if you respond , I don't care, cause I'm better off not waisting my time with someone misguided like you.
Last edited by mun78 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CYNARA
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: philippines

Postby CYNARA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:24 pm

i will... if you really love someone, you'll just need some adjustments and sacrifices to let the love live longer...
but when you have respect for each other, it wouldn't be that hard at all...

phramc
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:55 am
Location: hiding on my computer

Postby phramc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Well I definately would rather marry someone with the same religion but if I love them then I guess there's no denying love.

My religion doesn't denigrate women. I think that that is a very very stereotypical statement. Not all religions denigrate women, though some do. We should all respect each other's opinions. Religion is a very delicate subject. :crazy:

User avatar
Aprisea
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Barcelona,Spain
Contact:

Postby Aprisea » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm agnostic and I prefer people with no religion or not really religious.My family is catolic but not very strict.
I think that religion is stupid and a lost of time, but that is my opinion. I don't want to offend anyone.

I think that people with same religions or without religion connect better , they have more thinks in common :P
~Asian Music Rulz!~

User avatar
DJ_Chopstix
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida

Postby DJ_Chopstix » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:37 pm

i wouldn't see why not..although my boyfriend and i aren't really religious though =x

Bodha
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:09 pm

Postby Bodha » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 pm

@mun78: Well, first I would suggest you read my post again, because you seem to have picked out a few words and mixed them together to your liking.
For example, no, I did not suggest that the story of Adam and Eve is against women. That comment was meant to show that there are parts to any religion, in this case Christianity, that noone can explain and comprehend rationally. And I believe that was what you intended to say in your post, that religion is about spirituality and not about asking Why? all the time. I was only criticising that insofar it quenches your urge to understand things and it makes life too easy, because I believe in not just accepting something, but always trying to truly comprehend it, and that requires a lot of thought. It's funny that Jesus said that Heaven will belong to the children, and children have a tendency of always asking Why something is the way it is. And now Christians tell me to stop asking why something should be the way it is said in the Bible - that's rather amusing.
In that same vein, yes, the story of Adam and Eve, that I have indeed read, shows that the Bible - I wouldn't say Christianity, because I highly respect the moral values infused in the Biblical figure Jesus - does have parts to it that discriminate against women. Born out of a man, seduced by the snake, reason for Adam and Eve leaving Eden... I don't think it needs complicated interpretation to see this for what it is.
It also would be interesting to know how people can relate their own life story to that of Adam and Eve. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but it's making me laugh right now, and I'd appreciate an example that would help me understand the principles you see in that story.

And, oh yeah, I have read the Bible - not the whole book, I admit to that because I have other religions to read about, too - but that does not change my opinion in the slightest. For that matter, yes, I do think that men (and not women) wrote the Bible, inspired by whoever or whatever. And moreover, men then shaped that religion into what we see as Christianity today, and there are various examples of the denigration of women.

No, I am not God, but you aren't either. Does he need you to protect him or attack me? Won't he take care of that after my death, when I come groveling to him and he chucks me far away from him? Which, by the way, always made me doubt the existance of a loving caring God, because how could he ever leave me alone, how could he be so petty? At least the Old Testament's Jehovah made more sense that way, he was also way cooler, smiting here and there.

I have to say that I highly resent your attack on my way of thinking about religion. My criticising of it follows the rules of logical thought, while your only point is that it's all spiritual and I'm wrong anyways. It's like me trying to explain to you that 2+2=4 while you are refusing because it says that 2+2=5 in the Bible. I am NOT saying that you are stupid, but that you replied to me without a stringent explanation, which is basically like not replying at all. Our arguments work on completely different levels, and that you cannot accept that definitely makes you a rather intolerant person. Again, if God is almighty, he made me the way I am, and why is it upon you to right my ways?

I think this is the first time someone called me misguided. Call me misguided (please), but I appreciate that.

User avatar
hisa
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:19 pm
Location: NJ

Postby hisa » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:21 am

Bohda- lol, I just heard that argument aginst the existance of God (lifting a rock) in my philosophy class today...yeah, off topic, just wanted to say that.

User avatar
Di@na
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:54 pm

Postby Di@na » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:50 am

I voted yes 8) My parents also have different religious.. and it's not a big deal ^^
d-addicts user: since 2nd oct. 2004

gs56cb
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 pm

Postby gs56cb » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:38 am

Bodha wrote:@mun78: Well, first I would suggest you read my post again, because you seem to have picked out a few words and mixed them together to your liking.
For example, no, I did not suggest that the story of Adam and Eve is against women. That comment was meant to show that there are parts to any religion, in this case Christianity, that noone can explain and comprehend rationally. And I believe that was what you intended to say in your post, that religion is about spirituality and not about asking Why? all the time. I was only criticising that insofar it quenches your urge to understand things and it makes life too easy, because I believe in not just accepting something, but always trying to truly comprehend it, and that requires a lot of thought. It's funny that Jesus said that Heaven will belong to the children, and children have a tendency of always asking Why something is the way it is. And now Christians tell me to stop asking why something should be the way it is said in the Bible - that's rather amusing.
In that same vein, yes, the story of Adam and Eve, that I have indeed read, shows that the Bible - I wouldn't say Christianity, because I highly respect the moral values infused in the Biblical figure Jesus - does have parts to it that discriminate against women. Born out of a man, seduced by the snake, reason for Adam and Eve leaving Eden... I don't think it needs complicated interpretation to see this for what it is.
It also would be interesting to know how people can relate their own life story to that of Adam and Eve. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but it's making me laugh right now, and I'd appreciate an example that would help me understand the principles you see in that story.

And, oh yeah, I have read the Bible - not the whole book, I admit to that because I have other religions to read about, too - but that does not change my opinion in the slightest. For that matter, yes, I do think that men (and not women) wrote the Bible, inspired by whoever or whatever. And moreover, men then shaped that religion into what we see as Christianity today, and there are various examples of the denigration of women.

No, I am not God, but you aren't either. Does he need you to protect him or attack me? Won't he take care of that after my death, when I come groveling to him and he chucks me far away from him? Which, by the way, always made me doubt the existance of a loving caring God, because how could he ever leave me alone, how could he be so petty? At least the Old Testament's Jehovah made more sense that way, he was also way cooler, smiting here and there.

I have to say that I highly resent your attack on my way of thinking about religion. My criticising of it follows the rules of logical thought, while your only point is that it's all spiritual and I'm wrong anyways. It's like me trying to explain to you that 2+2=4 while you are refusing because it says that 2+2=5 in the Bible. I am NOT saying that you are stupid, but that you replied to me without a stringent explanation, which is basically like not replying at all. Our arguments work on completely different levels, and that you cannot accept that definitely makes you a rather intolerant person. Again, if God is almighty, he made me the way I am, and why is it upon you to right my ways?

I think this is the first time someone called me misguided. Call me misguided (please), but I appreciate that.



you can definitely related your life to the story of Adam and Eve. When you are under pure pressure to do things that are against your beliefs. Adam was told not to eat the fruit from the tree, but Eve was there to persuade him too. Once he did eat from the tree , that was the end of it. I don't know your life and I don't know others, but definitely there are plenty of things in the story of Adam and Even that will pertain to people in different situations. Like I've said before, you can't look at it in the logical way, EVER. It doesn't matter how much you put logic to it. God is something you can't perceive in the logical sense and it's in your faith to believe that the Bible was inspired by God. If you don't believe it , that's your problem. You'll definitely have to face the consequences of what you believe and don't believe later on, but in many people's lives they have enough to know that the Bible was not just made by some fool. How is the story of Adam and Eve against women? If I am thinking like you: If it was the man that was born from the women and the man that persuaded the women to sin, then it would be against men, wouldn't it? It's like a black guy not getting hired because the employer thinks he's not appropriate for the job, but the black guy thinks the employer is racist: That's your way of thinking that it's against women . It just happened to be the woman that came second. Live with that. It doesn't make a difference who persuaded who. It matters what the story is trying to teach us and how man (people) began the journey of being able to choose between good and evil. If it wasn't for Adam and Eve, me and you today would probably not be sinning and we would probably follow exactly what God says. You don't have to believe it, if you don't want to because of it's certain 'irrationality', but don't say anything when it's the end and you face the consequences. Just remember what you said before, and remember how wrong you were. You say: why is it upon me to right your ways?, but: what is it upon you to know what God should do? What is it upon you to tell God what to do and how to act? You can't say you know everything that's happening and how the universe works, no matter how many science books you read. I'll tell you this. Chrisitians are people who spread the word of God and that's why I'm directly answering you. God put me on this earth for a reason. It's for fellowship and to help others in any way possible, whether it be to spread his word or to help them with their needs. Did you think everyone in this world would agree with you, because you have a 'rational' explanation? In the human world and in society , 'rationality' is the greatest authority, but in the spiritual world and your own life, you definitely know 'rationality' is not dominant. Think about it, is love 'rational'. Is hate , 'rational'. When people suddenly go crazy and have something in their soul and in their mind, is that a 'rational' thing to happen? When you suddenly do something without thinking about it, is that 'rational'? I'm definitely not putting down anything that is 'rational' in the material world. Sure, 2+2 will always equal 4. And sure, the computer that you are looking at right now, is right there right now because you can see it there. However , what makes you think you will get up tomorrow , healthy and humble and type on your computer again? There have been many times where people get cancer or any other disease wihtout any known causes. There are plenty of times when they pray to God and the disease is healed. Is that 'rational'? Is 'rationality' governing this or is it something else? You say God smited people alot in the Old Testament. But what do you know about being loving to others unconditionally and passing correct judgemnent? All you know is what the world tells you, but even the world can't maintain itself with all its' rules . When God smited people , it obviously because they sinned against him. That's why Jesus is called Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. He is like the sacrificial lamb that people used to use to ask for forgiveness in the Old Testament , except it is forever. Of course this doesn't mean that you will not face consequences of your wrong doing. But you will definitely lower the severity of your punishment. He died for the sins committed in the past, today, and tomorrow. All we need to do is ask for forgiveness and repent. You are child and yes, children do ask questions? A child also follows their parents words. When God calls us children , he means we are always in the process of growing and becoming experienced. We are always improving ourselves and we are obedient to him. Does God speak to you? You can't judge someone unless you know them and unless you've heard God's voice and have gained a relationship with him, that is when you could judge him. Even then, i forbid you to judge someone so powerful. However, once again, they are certain ways you must approach God. If you know who God is and your not an totally ignorant of him, you can't just ask : 'How can someone like that fly in the air?'. It doesn't really matter if he flies in the air or not, but what we know is that he is omnipresent. I have no problem with you asking questions. It's always good to question your beliefs, but to do this and forget about your real purpose, is wrong. We can start to worry about how old Jesus was really when he died , when we forget the importance of what he was tryinig to teach us.

I'll be honest, I was incredibly emotional in my last response, but that was because of the vigar that you put Jesus and the Bible in. It wasn't 'rational' for me to respond in such a way. But my spirit was definitely bothered and in need of correcting you. It's what comes out. There is really nothiing else I can tell you. Keep asking questions, but know this, you may not come up with the right answers by sitting there and thinking rationally about the direct wording in the Bible. There is a strong line betwen faith and a non-believer. I can only help you to have faith, but I can't make you. That is your decision. To believe God, no matter how many logical 'uncertainties' exist and how many scientists have proven his inexistence, because of what he has done in your life. It's all based on my faith, my friend, believe or don't believe it .

User avatar
FlameWolf21
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Currently: US

Postby FlameWolf21 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Hey I think people need to calm down, this isn't a time for people to argue about about religion and which one makes more sense and which one is better, because if you are religious no one is gonna convinve you immediately you're wrong.

But anyway on to the question I think if your religion is important to you, and its a big part of your life (like I'm a denomination of Chrisitanianity, thats pretty strict.) then its hard to go outside of that for a mate. Like i know my sister has a boyfriend right now that isn't part of our religion and because of our rules shes basically ostrasized, which is her own fault. It depends on each person and whether your God or the person you love matter more? I'm not trying to be all mean and saying love isnt important and trying to belittle what anyone has, but anyone who is really devoted understands where i'm coming from. For me it causes so much more hardache and trouble to go outside of my religion and most of the times it doesnt work out- ie my parents- so I prefer to stay within my perimeters. I mean if i'm really in love with that person shouldn't they be able to accept all of me and I all of them. I wouldn't be able to fully do that if i didn't agree with their religion.
MY DREAM
Image
....MARRYING HIM

:wub: PROUD MEMBER OF THE GA WA LA GA WA LA LA GA CLUB

User avatar
AR_TRA
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: ~ Proud 2 be EGYPTIAN ~

Postby AR_TRA » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:07 pm

CraZyaH wrote:lol arabian nawya 3ala japanese?


yemken :mrgreen: ,, ana nefsy loool


for me sure i can't and i won't
it will be many diffrence between us
and always problems about our belives ''5ososan lama ykon 3ala el rasol :blink ''
Image

User avatar
Eternal Snow
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm

Postby Eternal Snow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:21 am

Definitley NOO.. can`t & won`t.. even if i love him to Death! my religion is more IMPORTANT than LOVE :mrgreen:

hana-yukino
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:57 pm

yeah, sure

Postby hana-yukino » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:01 am

I don't think religion is that big a deal, though if they try to force it down my throat, i will leave. I don't believe in brain washing, i'll just leave. I have my own beliefs but i will not compromise on this.

User avatar
meera
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:29 am

Postby meera » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 am

hurm...it's going 2 be hard though...unless he convert his religion..
im a muslim btw....if he really love me then off course he's willing 2 do so aite..??!!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest